Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Default Skins Honor 1987 Replacement Players

For Immediate Release
    June 12, 2018

REDSKINS HONOR 1987 REPLACEMENT PLAYERS WITH SUPER BOWL RINGS

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins honored replacement players from the team’s 1987 squad with Super Bowl rings in a ceremony at Inova Sports Performance Center at Redskins Park on Tuesday. Charley Casserly, who served as the Redskins’ Assistant General Manager in 1987 and helped build the replacement squad, hosted the event and welcomed more than 25 players in attendance. The event culminated with the surprise appearance of 1987 Super Bowl champions Doug Williams, Gary Clark and Dexter Manley, who joined the replacement players for a group photo.

The contributions of the replacement players were previously highlighted in the documentary Year of the Scab, produced by Ten100 in association with Leftfield Pictures (an ITV America company). The film, directed by John Dorsey, premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival in the spring of 2017 and aired as part of ESPN’s “30 for 30” series in September.

To properly honor the players for their role in the team’s 1987 championship season, the Redskins worked closely with the documentary’s director, Dorsey, and a number of key partners. Baron Rings, represented by President Peter Kanis, furnished the rings, while diamonds were provided by Uptown Diamond, represented by Principal Rick Antona.

“The 3-0 record of the Redskins replacement players was part of the remarkable success of the 1987 Washington Redskins,” Owner Dan Snyder said in a statement in March announcing the ceremony. “Their contributions are part of Redskins history and represent an integral reason why a Lombardi Trophy from the 1987 campaign resides in our facility today. Thanks in part to the generosity of our partners on this project, we are happy to honor these players for their role in that World Championship.”

The Virginia General Assembly also officially commended the replacement members of the 1987 team in March with House Joint Resolution No. 151, expressing “the General Assembly’s admiration for their determination, hard work, and incredible achievements.” Quarterback Tony Robinson and defensive lineman Anthony Sagnella represented the replacement players during the passing of the resolution in Richmond.

In Washington’s first game with replacement players, the Redskins defeated the St. Louis Cardinals, 28-21, as wide receiver Anthony Allen finished the day with seven catches and a single-game franchise record 225 yards. The next week, the Redskins defeated the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants, 38-12. Despite the strike ending four days later on Oct. 15, 1987, the Redskins’ replacement players played and defeated the Dallas Cowboys, 13-7, in a Monday Night Football matchup despite the return of multiple starters for Dallas.

The three victories earned by the replacement players helped propel the Redskins to an 11-4 regular season record and an NFC East title. The Redskins would go on to defeat the Denver Broncos, 42-10, in Super Bowl XXII to earn the team’s second Super Bowl title and fourth World Championship.

Watch the rings being made HERE

attendees.jpg
    Last edited by Boone; 06-12-18 at 12:38 PM.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

You ain't bonafide

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Skins Honor 1987 Replacement Players

Too bad they couldn't get Darryl Grant back to attend!

Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Florida State

This made me almost as happy as hearing what a great time everyone had at the Caps parade. These guys were very important role in winning that Super Bowl and Cooke should have made sure they got one back when.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Virginia

Glad to see it happen. Yesterday was truly special for DC Sports.
    0 0 0 0

The simplicity in me is complicated.
    I live in my own little world, but that's ok. They know me here.
    Redskins Fan - Emeritus

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Long overdue IMO. Longtime union man, feel strongly about people crossing picket lines, but these guys loved the game and wanted to play, and did so well enough that we owe a large part of our 2nd Lombardi to their efforts. I can get behind that 100%. Congratulations guys.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    I live in the warmest city in the coldest province
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    UTEP

one of the few times i was upset at cooke. this was long overdue
    0 0 0 0