A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

View Poll Results: The greatest President we've had in 50 years? Or second best?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's given the best results we've seen in 50 years.

2 33.33%
  • He's given the second best results of the last 50 years.

1 16.67%
  • He's nowhere near one of our top Presidents.

3 50.00%

Thread: Trump Is:

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida State

Default Trump Is:

The greatest President of the last 50 years, or the second greatest President of the last 50 years?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...t-of-work.html
    0 0 0 0

Thank you Jay Gruden. Multiple Superbowl appearances on deck.

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Florida State

Default Re: Trump Is:

Quote Originally Posted by McD5 View Post
    The greatest President of the last 50 years, or the second greatest President of the last 50 years?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...t-of-work.html
    He is effective, but I wouldn't go getting out of hand with praise.

I do find it interesting how the NFL is playing the latest drama. Trump pre-empted the Eagles play to have 90% of the RSVP and cleared by the secret service members by disinviting after they changed things up. The Eagles clearly tried to pull a fast one and got egg on their faces.

This morning, it is being reported that the NFLPA is cancelling some events with children in the DC area because of this move by Trump.

Let me get this straight...the Eagles tried to pull a fast one, the got caught with egg on their faces, so the NFLPA is going to cancel NFL children events because of it?

That is great PR for the NFL.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Just think if he didn't have the entire group of worthless, deranged Democrats, and a large portion of the spineless R's fighting against everything he does.

He has to complete his term before properly rating his Presidency. But at this rate, he's assured one of the top spots.

And the NFL has so completely botched the whole "I'm an loser, therefore I kneel" saga. They deserve every bit of trouble, still yet to come, by being gutless facilitators of this loser movement.

After Trump finishes his 2nd term as President, he should be named commissioner of the NFL.
    So he can make them Great Again too.
    0 1 0 0

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

2016 BGO FF Champion
    BGObsessed

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Air Force

I’m pleased with my vote so far. Would like to see less tweeting still but pleased all the same. Agree with Ax that once we get him some real support by voting out Obstructocrats & RINO’s we’d be cooking with gas.

I believe once they quit stalling and release the IG report we’re gonna see some deep state knocked the eff down a few pegs. Looking forward to it!
    0 0 0 0

“A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.” - George Patton

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Even if we grant that the humming economy and job #'s are the result of Trump and his policies (and not blind luck), you don't judge any President on just the economic performance. I think our economy is driven as much by perception and belief as it is by actual policy. I like some of Trump's economic approach. Reducing regulation, freeing up capital for business with corporate tax breaks, and actually doing something (or threatening to do something) about world trade inequities - I think those are all generally good things. I don't know that he's had enough time in office for those strategies to produce real results. I think there's a general belief in corporate America that Trump knows business, knows how to pave the way for greater corporate success, and that he is business friendly.

The perception is that Trump is going to make it easy for big business to operate, and as much as anything, that belief has driven up confidence. A pretty significant corporate tax cut package hasn't hurt either. Confidence and belief have driven an improving economy and job market. That's a good thing.

I didn't vote for Trump, but I have seen some things from him that I do approve of. He's been simultaneously tough on some of our adversaries across the globe, but also opened up dialogue with them. China is a good example. I don't necessarily give him credit for that strategy - as I think he wisely hired some grown ups to run his foreign policy, and when guys like Mad Dog Mattis are advising him, he's taking that advice. I think operating from a position of strength has always put us in a better position (that's something I have always been surprised that Obama didn't seem to get - being a smart man and all). Reagan had that nailed and even Bill Clinton understood it. I'll even go as far to say that there can be a benefit to your enemies wondering if you are, in fact, a crazy lunatic. I never worried about Trump starting WWIII. He's not going to do that. And even if he were capable of it, there are too many smart generals around him to allow it to happen. But having our enemies (and we do have them) wondering if in fact he might be capable of something crazy, I understand the value in that.

But there's a lot more to being President than those things. A lot more. First and foremost, the President is the preeminent leader of America - the greatest nation the world has ever known. Character, reputation, honesty, class, dignity, and integrity mean something. I'm not sure Trump can check any of those boxes. I don't believe the Left's characterization of Trump as a racist, misogynist, psychotic mental midget. But I have a ton of problems with the guy, and I think the majority of American's have that at a minimum.

I don't think he's honest. He routinely misstates the facts.
    He's childish. He pouts. He lashes out. He threatens when he doesn't get his way. He's not a sophisticated man.
    He's a pig. I don't think he hates women. I believe he loves his wife and kids. He may even be a decent father. He's not afraid of powerful women and has hired a bunch. But his personal conduct with women is not fitting that of a President. It wasn't fit for Kennedy or Clinton either, but a pig is a pig - and I think he clearly is a pig. I think that kind of thing matters and he's done a lot of shameful things in regards to women that we should want to have to explain or rationalize to our kids.
    He's a terrible communicator. He's not 'a breath of fresh air'. He speaks and writes like a petulant 8th grader (and one who's in the bottom 3rd of his class).
    He's arrogant and belittles or fires anyone who has the temerity to disagree with him.
    He is impulsive and lacks even a modicuum of self control. He repeatedly tweets about and says things that any adult knows are over the top, offensive, untruthful, and/or mean spirited. He's smart enough to know that his tantrums and attacks do nothing to further his cause, increase the effectiveness of his efforts, and distract from what his true agenda and message should be. But he has zero self-control. He has no discipline. Even when he is delivering devastating blows to his own party and its leaders, he cannot help himself.
    He's the ultimate lover of his own self. At all costs. Burn baby burn.

Honestly, while I support some of his policies - he's an embarrassment.

You all have the right to your opinion. But I believe if you polled Americans 'Does Donald Trump make you proud?' vs. 'Are you embarrassed that Donald Trump is our President?', I don't think it would be close.

It's been awhile that I've been proud of a President. So this doesn't put Trump in some kind of rarefied air.

It takes more than flipping off conventionality and the status quo to make someone a maverick or a great leader. At least the kind of leader I want to support.
    2 3 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

You ain't bonafide

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

As to paragraph 4, sentence 5-

You are being far too kind.

I am much more of an R than a D but his comportment is an absolute shit show.
    0 0 0 0

It is awesome to be ME.
    Proud BGO Premium Member since Day 1.
    (a/k/a Monte51Coleman)

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm really pleased with his presidency so far. The only thing I don't agree with is the trade wars. We'd all be better off if we had a completely free market, but I guess the other countries are doing it too so it all might be just a negotiation tactic or something.
    0 1 0 0

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Excellent post, Boone. Even if I don't lean on the negative as much as you seem to.

This country created the need for someone like Trump. It's part of the downward spiral we've been in since Watergate. Trump is more like the majority of regular citizens than any President in my lifetime. He is a true reflection of the mindset of America, in many ways. The façade of respect between the party's is just that, a façade. Been that way for quite some time. Trump is only saying out loud, what many say under their breath. Yes it's hard to take. But that's just the way things are. I don't see his lying as worse than our career politicians. I don't give credit to those who can say, "**** them people", in a diplomatic way. I appreciate the direct approach. I find it far less offensive than somebody smiling to my face while reaching around and twisting the knife in my back.

Some don't like the barrage of "Fake news" accusations. The thing is, it's all true. The MSM has been manipulating the news forever. They have gotten downright abysmal ever since they became the volunteer propaganda arm of the Democrat party. Yes, it's undignified for a POTUS to stand above them and piss down their neck everyday. But they earned it. They asked for it. That they are shocked and dismayed by it all, is MUST SEE TV. IMHO.

I give him more credit than you do for his handling of foreign policy, so far. No doubt he is listening to folks like Mattis. Be he does have the understanding of leadership through strength. It's the only way. Obama never got that. He's also not near as smart as his cheerleaders lead people to believe. The 2 reasons they won't release his college stuff is because a) It will show that he was registered as a foreign exchange student. And b) It will show that his grades were below average.

Trump is the polar opposite of Obama when it comes to business. Trump may not be the best ever at it, but Obama may have been the worst. The economy has taken off because Trump has taken the foot off the brakes. Tweaked the fuel to air mixture, so to say, and has it running much better. With signs that it can keep exceeding expectations. If he can pull off new trade deals that helps us as much as it does others, that will be Uuuuuge!

If he pulls of denuclearization on the Korean peninsula, that will be historically Uuuuuge! Both for stabilization in the world, as well as it's economy.

But, we have the establishment, both the left, and the RINO's, hoping none of it happens. If this novice walks through the door and gets these kinds of things done, it shatters the myth that the 2 party's live on. That they are the only ones who know how to get things done in Washington.

His presence is causing the D's to meltdown. They have exposed themselves as the party of hate. They are self destructing, daily. And that is GREAT for America. He has also changed the R party, for good. What shape they'll take after he is gone is still unknown. But they will be transformed as well. And that too is GREAT for America.

And, if he does nothing more than continue to stack the courts with judges who will follow the law, and not their own ideology, THAT will be an awesome accomplishment, all by itself.

Lastly, Hillary Clinton is, by far, a worse human being than Trump will ever be. Saving the country from her should get him automatic reelection.
    0 1 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Korte View Post
    I'm really pleased with his presidency so far. The only thing I don't agree with is the trade wars. We'd all be better off if we had a completely free market, but I guess the other countries are doing it too so it all might be just a negotiation tactic or something.
    Welcome to the site

I think it's absolutely a negotiating tactic. In the long-term, no one benefits from a trade war. The threat of tariffs and a tougher trade stance is probably the only way we get needed attention and a more level playing field on the trade front. I'm actually fine with what he's done on that front. It's actually a smart approach imho.
    0 1 0 0

You ain't bonafide

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Blog Entries

He is a backstreet bully. No more, no less. Just one with money.

Reality is that every President does some good and does some bad. Every President also enjoys some good LUCK and is forced to weather some bad LUCK. How those things are handled matters.
    0 0 1 0

hailus redskinnus
    COYS

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Getting a 2nd Supreme Court pick solidifies his Presidency as a success, even if he does nothing else. Which, he already has, and is continuing to.

If he gets 3rd pick, either in this term, or his 2nd, along with continuing to strengthen the lower courts, with judges who actually believe in, and follow the Constitution, I just might regret not having children.
    0 1 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    Getting a 2nd Supreme Court pick solidifies his Presidency as a success, even if he does nothing else. Which, he already has, and is continuing to.

If he gets 3rd pick, either in this term, or his 2nd, along with continuing to strengthen the lower courts, with judges who actually believe in, and follow the Constitution, I just might regret not having children.
    Ax, the problem these days is that almost none of them follow the Constitution anymore and, often, when they do, the more conservative folks I know scream that they aren't and that they are all liberal.

The truth is that the Constitution is pretty damn narrow document that is there to limit the power of the Federal government. If the court were truly packed with strict constitutionalists we would have a lot less government but since we don't I am left to conclude that there isn't any such thing as a strict constitutionalist anymore. No, Trump won't nominate anyone who truly follows the Constitution, he will nominate someone who he believes follows it the way he wants them too.

Just a different brand of crap.
    0 0 0 0

hailus redskinnus
    COYS

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

True enough. But a court filled with Sotomayor's and Ginsberg's, in IMHO would be the final nail in the country's coffin.

Protecting that from happening was the best reason there was for voting for Trump.

Not the only one, but the best one.
    0 1 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    True enough. But a court filled with Sotomayor's and Ginsberg's, in IMHO would be the final nail in the country's coffin.

Protecting that from happening was the best reason there was for voting for Trump.

Not the only one, but the best one.
    Now I'm curious...what has the "liberal" side of the bench done that you are against?
    0 0 0 0

hailus redskinnus
    COYS

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte View Post
    Now I'm curious...what has the "liberal" side of the bench done that you are against?
    There are some things in the constitution that are quite easy to interpret. The 2nd amendment is one of them. Liberals deliberately ignore that fact. Both on the bench, and in the legislature. It takes very little effort to see that Scalia got it right.

This whole travel ban nonsense. It is clearly in the Presidents power. That lower courts, like the joke that is the 9th circuit, would stone wall it the way they did was purely political. It was always going to be upheld in the SC. It's that clear. Sotomayor's dissent should get her expelled. Read like a DNC platform piece.

Liberals tend to lead with their "feelings", rather than the law.
    0 3 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Kent State

Trump is the mf'er the country needed, someone who had nothing to lose and just tells it like it is, you don't achieve greatness built on a premise that the world is a better place with a weak US. This idea that we need to be spoonfed bs is what got us this far into debt and have elected charlatans for over two decades. No one is real in politics, which is why I prefer those who don't come from politics, sort of like Rick Scott who has done a helluva job here in Fl. Of course Scott is a bit more professional in his approach but then again he's only dealing with Fl, not the entire country and world stage.
    0 1 0 0

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" Aesop

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    0 0 0 0

I'm Bonafide

dusty roads
    Honored Guest

I have to be careful here - this is territory that has gotten me in trouble.

I don't believe the issue is really Trump. I am truthfully frightened by what transpired in the last election. Hillary broke the law (I hold clearances so I know what her obligations are), destroyed evidence, manipulated the primaries, leaders at the highest levels of the FBI/DoJ attempted a cover-up, a phony dossier was submitted to a FISA judge, the MSM has gone over the deep end with one fake story after the next...and much more. And no one is held accountable.

The rule of law has been broken, maybe permanently. This country is careening out of control. And, IMO, it's being intentionally orchestrated by moneyed elites.

As for Trump, we all know the persona. It's hard to take. He, however, is the man on the scene, for better or for worse, at a critical point in our nation's history.
    Last edited by dusty roads; 08-23-18 at 01:11 AM.
    0 2 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Navy

Voted for him will vote for him again in 2020. POTUS Trump has caused the Deep State the professional Propaganda outlets of misinformation in media and indoctrination centers called schools, elected politicians, the dress up and make believe demographic in California and wealthy SOBs in hidden dark rooms to expose themselves publicly ( sorta like the alien reptiles from the show V). The RINOs have been exposed but we still have to deal with those in office like McConnel and those getting out like Ryan and the former cry on cue GOP senate majority leader undermining things via lobbying. My security clearance when I was in allowed me into SCIFs and being ignorant would not get you off the hook if you effed up.
    0 1 0 0

Never Get into a Fight with an Ugly Person. They Have nothing to lose. :)

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McD5 View Post
    Trump Is:
    ...approval rating spikes higher than former President Obama

http://www.oann.com/poll-president-t...esident-obama/
    0 1 0 0

Sent from my Basic Flip Phone.