• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Women's Groups Blast 'Divisive' Pro-Life Super Bowl Ad -- Without Even Seeing It

Sarge

I won't even go into the side I fall on here. I just think CBS is making a mistake by airing this. Personally, part of tuning into the Super Bowl for me is to not think about this stuff for a few hours

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,583999,00.html?test=faces

College football phenom Tim Tebow is about to become one of the biggest stars of Super Bowl XLIV — and he's not even playing in the game.

Tebow, the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback for the University of Florida, and his mother Pam will appear in a pro-life commercial that tells the story of his risky birth 22 years ago -- an ad that critics suggest could lead to anti-abortion violence, even though none of them have seen it.

I'm really torn on this one Sarge. On the one hand, like you, I'd hate for this kind of thing to harsh my Super Bowl game/ad buzz. OTOH, my more libertarian side says why shouldn't they be allowed to exercise their right to free speech? There are only two compelling possibilities I can think of.

First, is the argument that the ad might help encourage the radical anti-abortion crowd. However, IF the ad is genuinely as non-confrontational as FOF says, then I'd say this is exactly the kind of protest/exchange we want to encourage among the anti-abortion crowd.

Finally, the more compelling issue arguing against airing it is a very, very serious one, and is something I sincerely hope the brass at CBS has thought long and hard about. That is, they're risking massive, unprecedented, nation-wide G.I. illness brought about by still more exposure to Tim "Butters" Tebow. :puke:

...and just when we thought we were going to be delivered from our torment by Butters becoming a third string NFL afterthought. Sigh. :kick_can:

The Super Bowl has become more about the commercials and halftime entertainment then game itself.

I say put the game on one network and let another one show all the commercials and entertainment. That way those that want to see a game can and anyone wanting to watch the entertainers can turn to a different channel.

The last Super Bowl party we had I got frustrated. I'm trying to watch and enjoy last football game of the year and everyone else was chit chatting with no interest in game.

Sorry to get off topic.

CBS will bow. They won't air it.

The Super Bowl has become more about the commercials and halftime entertainment then game itself.

I say put the game on one network and let another one show all the commercials and entertainment. That way those that want to see a game can and anyone wanting to watch the entertainers can turn to a different channel.

The last Super Bowl party we had I got frustrated. I'm trying to watch and enjoy last football game of the year and everyone else was chit chatting with no interest in game.

Sorry to get off topic.

It's not off topic. The last few games have been alright, but not too many yeas ago theywere blow out city, and I think that is what caused everyone to get hyped about the commercials. But like I said, I don't want to see political ads during the Super Bowl. I want to see the game and to see if any company can beat "bud" "WIE" "ser' and Terry Tate commercials

I don't the Super Bowl should be used as a political platform. Saw earlier that a gay dating website is trying to get an ad approved.

Don't mind the godaddy.com ads...:)

In general I'm over the whole superbowl commercial thing. Some time a few years ago commercials during the superbowl crossed over from being clever, funny and interesting to trying-to-hard and obnoxious.

I don't really watch the commercials with rapt attention. I treat them like, well, like commercials. You know, I get up to get a snack or use the can or whatever. So as far as I'm concerned Tebow can say whatever he likes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.