• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Name Brian Lafemina President of Business Operations & Chief Operating Officer

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Skins Name Brian Lafemina President of Business Operations & Chief Operating Officer

For Immediate Release
May 16, 2018

REDSKINS NAME BRIAN LAFEMINA AS PRESIDENT OF BUSINESS OPERATIONS AND CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Brian Lafemina as the team's President of Business Operations and Chief Operating Officer.

“I am thrilled to welcome Brian to the Washington Redskins,” Owner Dan Snyder said. “Brian has been one of the most highly regarded NFL executives amongst league ownership for many years because of his deep understanding of our business, his focus on partner relationships and his genuine belief that fans must be at the center of every decision we make. Brian is coming to Washington with fresh thinking and big ideas to implement, and I have full confidence that with Brian's addition and with Bruce Allen continuing as team President, the Redskins' success will continue to grow, both on and off the field.”

In this newly created role, Lafemina will oversee all club business operations and report directly to Owner Dan Snyder.

“Nothing could have prepared me more for this role than working at the NFL,” Lafemina said. “Dan first approached me about a year ago to discuss the possibility of me joining the Redskins. During that time, I was able to see first-hand his passion for the Redskins, the game of football and his deep commitment to the Washington, D.C. community. Working with Dan and Bruce to develop a new, dynamic stadium that matches the vibrancy of this organization and its fan base will be an exciting challenge and one of our top priorities. I would also be remiss if I didn't thank everyone I have worked with at the NFL, starting with Roger Goodell.”

Lafemina spent eight years at the NFL, leading Club Business Development and building the team that works to create and share best practices across all of the NFL's 32 member clubs. During his tenure, the league saw significant growth in game day fan satisfaction, season tickets sales, suite sales, local sponsorship and media revenue. In addition, Lafemina led or played key roles in league-wide initiatives on fan experience, ticketing strategy, Super Bowl strategy, Pro Bowl strategy and stadium development.

Before joining the NFL, Lafemina spent 22 years at The Madison Square Garden Company in a variety of roles, starting as an intern and working his way up to Senior Vice President of Madison Square Garden Sports, where he was responsible for managing the business operations of the New York Knicks and New York Rangers.

Lafemina is a 1989 graduate of Rutgers University, where he earned his bachelor's degree in economics. He and his wife, Kelly, are the proud parents of three daughters.

-REDSKINS-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Skins Name Brian Lafemina President of Business Operations & Chief Operating Offi

Word on the internet streets is that this is a preface to Bruce leaving in the next year or so.

Not discounting that. I think Snyder hears fan outcry and often over time acts on it. Examples being bringing Joe Gibbs back after several embarrassing coaching hires, and the 'turn in your fan card' movement.

But on the other hand, connecting this dot to Allen's departure is total speculation with likely more than a dash of wishful thinking involved as well. Not saying it won't happen, but I'm always wary about conclusions drawn that line up so neatly with what folks want to hear.

Re: Skins Name Brian Lafemina President of Business Operations & Chief Operating Offi

This strikes me primarily as an effort to bring in a bigger gun to get a stadium deal done. Not that it can hurt to have an experienced and respected professional on board to oversee business operations. I hope that the public relations department also falls under his purview.

This strikes me primarily as an effort to bring in a bigger gun to get a stadium deal done. Not that it can hurt to have an experienced and respected professional on board to oversee business operations. I hope that the public relations department also falls under his purview.

I just hope they choose the right location...there is a prime piece of real estate on the banks of the Potomac river that would be ideal, 3 major outlets to leave the stadium.

Sounds windy. No thanks. I think somewhere in Nova is ideal. Give the Virginia fans a chance to have a stadium close to home. Closer to NC too :)

It will all be determined by which jurisdiction is willing to burden it's tax base the most.

Virginia seems to want it the most and is willing to give the tax breaks. Maryland, not so much.

RR National Airport is really no longer needed. That would be an excellent spot.

Then Snyder would have to change the team name to get back into DC, though. I just can't think of where in NoVa it would go.

RR National is on Virginia soil.

There sure has been a lot of shuffling in the FO in recent time, so one has to wonder what's next.

Last edited:

Sounds windy. No thanks. I think somewhere in Nova is ideal. Give the Virginia fans a chance to have a stadium close to home. Closer to NC too :)

I know this is a little off topic, but there is no single location better to serve the entire DC area than this spot in Oxon Hill on the river next to Washington's National Harbor.

This is not in DC, it would still be in Maryland, but a stone throw away from both DC and VA...easy in/easy out. Out in the boondocks of VA is not a good location, like the current location is not for the same reason. Cooke was trying to land the Baltimore market, but did not realize he never could.

This location is close to a major convention center, with plenty of hotels and infrastructure already in place.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Oxon+Cove+Park+%26+Oxon+Hill+Farm/@38.7990722,-77.0092247,6055m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xc2cdd99cd0271d66!8m2!3d38.8019485!4d-77.0077656

I thought the Oxon Hill location was nixed a long time ago. If not, that is another location that could work - provided that parking in the area could be resolved (that would be a huge issue).

I thought the Oxon Hill location was nixed a long time ago. If not, that is another location that could work - provided that parking in the area could be resolved (that would be a huge issue).

The location is plenty big enough to handle the need for parking within the complex.

As for the location being nixed, I was unaware of anything definitive, but I just cannot see any location that would better suit the entire area.

The idea of Regan being the location would be great, but the need for infrastructure would be huge. There are only 2 ways out, and neither are equipped to handle the traffic. They're only 2 lanes from either direction, that would be a nightmare commute.

Why stay in Maryland when the majority of the fanbase lives in Virginia? If they did elect to stay on that side of the Potomac, why not just raze the existing stadium and build the new one in the same location? I don't know that any other location in MD is going to have any better location/traffic pattern...

BB... the Reagan Airport idea is interesting, but:

1. I'm not sure the 'it's not needed' point is factual since DC has an enormous need for air service that far exceeds most cities. It is a major hub for American Airlines. 21 million passengers fly in and out of there every year. Not sure that could be 'absorbed' by Dulles (BWI isn't that far, true, but it's not exactly convenient to that locale).

2. The facility is US Government owned. I don't know what it would require to purchase that land and shut down a major US airport, but I'm thinking it might be more complicated than just making a big offer - I don't know but that would seem to be a complicating factor.

Not saying it's an impossibility though. I assume you're just creatively floating this and aren't basing it on rumors you've heard?

A lot of people who come into this area see Dulles plastered all over movies and TV and don't even realize Reagan exists (I'm still in the habit of calling it "National" at times, since I grew up with that). The ones who do are coming into DC directly or are inconsiderate family making you drive all the way out there because the ticket is cheaper than flying into Dulles... :highly_amused:

Why stay in Maryland when the majority of the fanbase lives in Virginia? If they did elect to stay on that side of the Potomac, why not just raze the existing stadium and build the new one in the same location? I don't know that any other location in MD is going to have any better location/traffic pattern...

If by majority you're talking 40% VA, 15% DC, and 30% MD, the rest outside those areas, then yeah...ok, but there is an enormous fanbase in MD for the Skins that you cannot discount. Moving to VA would be a nightmare for those fans, as the current location is for the VA fans. The current location is terrible, just like building the stadium out in the county in VA would be terrible, you'd alienate a large portion of your fanbase.

As for infrastructure going in and out of the current stadium...I'm not sure you looked at the map I provided. There are 4 major outlets from Oxon Hill Farms, 495 north and south, 210 south, and 295 north, with the infrastructure almost entirely in place in a location with easy access to MD, VA and DC. The current stadium? 495 north and south.

I have no inside info, just what has been discussed only fleetingly in the past 5 years of new stadium discussions. I know Snyder wants to put the team in the best possible situation for his taxes, but he's a Maryland boy at heart and still resides in this state. PG County has just seen a tremendous influx of cash with MGM now residing in that county, so they can afford to give breaks if needed in order not to lose the current revenue from having the stadium move, they can probably match anything at the county level any VA county could.

This location serves all 3 entities, DC, MD and VA almost equally...if there were something available over in Alexandria, with an infrastructure mostly in place, I'd say go for it...but there isn't.

Edit: Another thing that seems to be lost in this discussion, the use of the stadium when the Skins aren't playing. What is FedEd Field used for outside of Redskins games? Not much, the location does not lend itself to much. You put the stadium next to a multi-purpose community like National Harbor, across the river from Old Town, a shuttle or subway ride away from DC, and that stadium is a money maker outside of the Skins...out in the county?

Last edited:

Oh yeah, who is Brian Lafemina anyway? :laugh:

Oh yeah, who is Brian Lafemina anyway? :laugh:

Jason LaCanfora's even more effeminate cousin, I believe.

Just kidding... I can't prove that...

Jason LaCanfora's even more effeminate cousin, I believe.

Just kidding... I can't prove that...

Is that even possible?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.