• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Dez Bryant?

john.hilker.9

Camp Fodder
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Listening to Cooley and Kevin on The Team 980 this morning, and this question came up. If course, Dez want to stay in the NFC East so he can face Dallas two times. If he could be signed with incentives, but relatively low salary to a one year deal, would you like to see the Redskins pursue this?

Imho, I don't think they'd have much to lose if the could keep the salary low. If he turns into a disruption, either during camp or regular season, or just doesn't produce, they could just cut him, and not be out much. The upside of having his presence on the field would be great, if he has anything left in the tank.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

I'll pass.
And not to Dez, either. There isn't much left, and no matter what, if the Redskins sign him the press will make much too big of a deal out of it. Bryant is not on the decline, he has done declined and is waiting at the bottom of the slide to get up and move off. Whatever he has left, it isn't much, and because of the hoopla a signing would generate, the production he is not only capable of, but would deserve in this offense would be viewed as a failure by folks who buy the headlines. (AKA: "Most people")
If we signed a guy like him and he caught 30 balls, that may be reasonable. If he got 40-45 it would be a bonus. But for the narrative and the distraction, anything less than 75 is failure because of his reputation and the hype. Every week that he only has 2 catches for 12 yards will only add to it unless he sits down like a backup WR and keeps himself to himself.
Which is doubtful.

I'd rather see more of Quick.

~Bang

He was cut 3 weeks ago.
Neither the Redskins, not any of the other 31 teams, including the bad ones, and the WR-needy ones, have done a single thing about it, during those 3 weeks.
That's all we need to know.

No. No. No . No. No. Oh, hell no.

We drafted a WR who will likely make the team and that really ends the need at that position assuming Doctson takes a leap forward this year. I'd rather keep our current guys than waste a spot on Bryant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We drafted a WR who will likely make the team and that really ends the need at that position assuming Doctson takes a leap forward this year. I'd rather keep our current guys than waste a spot on Bryant.

I just don't see how you can say this team is set at WR. There is not a single proven WR on this team, not one. We should bring in at least 2 veterans and let them push the young, unproven young crew. We are in the same position we were last year when everyone agreed with me by the end of the season, we need a proven vet. This squad lacks a veteran presence outside, and we cannot go into another season without legitimate Weapons for our new QB.

As for Bryant, Dak Prescott has to be considered for at least part of his drop in productivity. He did not have the same connection to Dez fhat Romo did and over 2 years, Dak never threw him the ball. Not saying I want or don't want, but we need help.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind pickin' up a vet to help out. But I wouldn't want Bryant if he played for free.

I just don't see how you can say this team is set at WR. There is not a single proven WR on this team, not one. We should bring in at least 2 veterans and let them push the young, unproven young crew. We are in the same position we were last year when everyone agreed with me by the end of the season, we need a proven vet. This squad lacks a veteran presence outside, and we cannot go into another season without legitimate Weapons for our new QB.

As for Bryant, Dak Prescott has to be considered for at least part of his drop in productivity. He did not have the same connection to Dez fhat Romo did and over 2 years, Dak never threw him the ball. Not saying I want or don't want, but we need help.

I understand what you're saying. We don't know yet if we have a true #1 on this roster. Richardson could be the next Santana, or he could just be a really fast #3 . We'll see about him. What Doctson shows in years 2 and 3 is obviously huge. He was drafted to be a #1 - whether he is that guy we don't know yet. But I wouldn't rule it out. But we do have some top tier talent at WR.

Jamison Crowder is proven.
Jordan Reed is beyond proven.
Paul Richardson is proven.
Vernon Davis is proven.

And we have a ton of potential talent behind them. Mo Harris, Quick, Sprinkle, Quinn - I expect someone to rise from this group and take advantage of the opportunity Grant's exit opened up.

Bottom line - we have plenty of WR talent. With Smith under center, Gruden's offense, and an improved running game, we're going to have a pretty imposing offense if we can stay healthy (keeping a close eye on Trent and Moses).

With all due respect Boone one season does not make you proven.

Paul Richardson looked like a mild bust his first two years in the league.

Only in 2017 did he put up numbers you would say are those of a strong #3 or OK complement to a true #1 on the other side.

Will he duplicate or improve on those numbers in 2018? We're not sure. Neither was Seattle and that's why a former #2 pick was available.

Jordan Reed has proven he can catch the ball and make plays but he has not proven he can take the pounding and be relevant for this team over 16 weeks.

The old saying? You can't make the club from the tub applies to Reed.

The fact is Vernon Davis at 32/33 has been our starting TE for much of the past 2 years.

Reed still isn't expected to be 100% for OTAs is he?

This bears watching.

Crowder has proven he is an NFL receiver but what he hasn't shown us is that without Garçon or Jackson that he is a guy that when the attention is on him he can come through in the clutch on key plays such as third downs and plays within the 20.

So, he is a #3 to me.

The problem is I don't see a #1 receiver here or a really strong #2 .

Reports are that Bryant turned down a 3 year deal with Baltimore for around $19M.

It wasn't established how much of this was base or incentives but he has received a credible offer from an NFL team.

With all due respect Boone one season does not make you proven.

Paul Richardson looked like a mild bust his first two years in the league.

Only in 2017 did he put up numbers you would say are those of a strong #3 or OK complement to a true [URL=https://www.bgobsession.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] on the other side.

Will he duplicate or improve on those numbers in 2018? We're not sure. Neither was Seattle and that's why a former [URL=https://www.bgobsession.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] pick was available.

Jordan Reed has proven he can catch the ball and make plays but he has not proven he can take the pounding and be relevant for this team over 16 weeks.

The old saying? You can't make the club from the tub applies to Reed.

The fact is Vernon Davis at 32/33 has been our starting TE for much of the past 2 years.

Reed still isn't expected to be 100% for OTAs is he?

This bears watching.

Crowder has proven he is an NFL receiver but what he hasn't shown us is that without Garçon or Jackson that he is a guy that when the attention is on him he can come through in the clutch on key plays such as third downs and plays within the 20.

So, he is a #3 to me.

The problem is I don't see a [URL=https://www.bgobsession.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] receiver here or a really strong [URL=https://www.bgobsession.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] .

I don't think we disagree all that much. Richardson is a risk, but obviously we brought him in as a strong #2 possibility. It goes without saying he hasn't shown that yet - but did he really get the opportunity in Seattle?

Reed is well-worn ground. Health is always the question. But if he is healthy, he's immediately the best TE in football imho. That's a big deal. What does Davis' age have to do with anything when we are talking about 2018? We already drafted a promising TE for the future. But for now Davis is still dangerous and productive (he was, what, #2 in yards in 2017?).

I acknowledged Crowder wasn't a #1 already. The guy you failed to even mention is Doctson. Maybe Doctson breaks out bigtime in 2018. Or maybe he was never the guy McLovin believed him to be and he proves to be a bust. I'm not willing to bet on that one.

Two wildcards that have to be considered when assessing the 2018 Skins WRs? What is the impact of adding Alex Smith, a true West Coast QB who is also a rushing threat, and how much does an improved rushing attack open up things for our WRs/TEs. I think people are sleeping on the impact Alex Smith has.

With a legit rushing attack, in a Jay Gruden offense, Smith is going to thrive...assuming the OL health is there.

Bottom line is, Skins WRs aside - last thing we need is to over pay for Dez. Mother****ing. Bryant. And for all the criticism the Redskins Front Office gets - in the last 5 years they have rarely 'bitten' on this kind of fan-promoted 'quick fix' move. They should get some credit for that imho.

Bryant is a cancer, plain and simple. He doesn't have the talent for the team to put up with his antics. While having a veteran receiver sounds great, you can't sign a guy like Bryant who not only will be a headache, but that headache will take playing time away from younger guys who could develop.

Well, Bryant I think is part of the larger issue. I think the Redskins need a bigger receiver for 2018 who brings veteran experience and the ability to move the sticks on the third down.

So, Bryant is one potential solution. But not the only one. Other guys like Anquan Boldin in the past (recall 2013 and 2014) became available over the summer and helped their teams win.

After the draft, I think WR is the #1 question mark on this team overall right now.

And part of that is the solid job I think we did on draft day.

We picked up a couple of guys who should start from Day 1 and another couple that should end up being key depth players who contribute over 16 games and don't simply stay on the inactive list from week to week.

If you look at the Eagles and the Redskins right now, the one major area of imbalance to me is in the WR corps.

Alshon Jeffrey is in a different league than ANY of the receivers on our team. Agholor has improved a LOT under Pederson.

I still think we need to add here.

And again, I think the opportunity will come to shore this area up between now and the preseason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.