• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Fore!!! The Golf Thread

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Brother @Om and I are avid golfers.

Note I didn't say 'great golfers'...but avid - yes. @Om has a beautiful athletic swing. I, on the other hand, swing a golf club like the Terminator.

But I love it. Really love it.

Recently went on a golf weekend where we played roughly 140 holes. Some were things of beauty. Some were downright ugly. But...GOLF!

I can putt, I can pitch, I can even drive at times. Everything else is a struggle. But I love it anyway.

Any of you guys got the bug too?

I love it so much, I just hunted down and purchased a 2 iron. Because I love me a 3 iron, so a 2 iron's got to be even better - right?

Holy crap 140??? Haha I went to the range and hit 135 and man it felt good. Actually was able to upgrade my driver with a couple taylor mades that friends were unloading.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Golf: God's way of keeping white men humble.

I haven't played in years. When my boys were small I put the clubs away to be with them. No regrets. Every now and then get the itch to pull the sticks out again, although probably couldn't hit them now. They are stiff shafts and I know my swing speed is way down now.

Boone, I used to carry a 1 iron and loved it.

I haven't played in years. When my boys were small I put the clubs away to be with them. No regrets. Every now and then get the itch to pull the sticks out again, although probably couldn't hit them now. They are stiff shafts and I know my swing speed is way down now.

Boone, I used to carry a 1 iron and loved it.

never too late to get back into it. I grew up going to the driving range with my grandfather whenever we would go to PA and visit. Lost all interest when he passed away. It's been 15 years now and I've found myself really wanting to get into it. You can find yourself an inexpensive set of entry level clubs at most retailers if you want to get back into it.... I found a set of 'Top Flight' clubs on sale last fathers day for about $150. I've since upgraded my drivers but am more than comfortable with the irons and hybrids.

Great deal for any former or current military guys...

PXG is a golf company, started by Bob Parsons - of 'GoDaddy.com' fame. Parsons hired away a bunch of Ping R&D guys and told them to design the best golf clubs in the world - and that money/resources were no object. So that's what they did. PXG irons are forged, with hollow cavities filled with a special polymer. They recently released an oversized iron set called 0311 XF's (extreme forgiveness). The 0311s are starting to show up on the PGA tour - they're that good.

The clubs are exorbitantly priced. Just the basic versions typically cost $300-$350 PER club.

Parsons is a former Marine Infantry guy and Vietnam Vet. So he started a 'PXG for Heroes' program for current/former military vets and first responders.

https://www.pxg.com/en-us/programs/pxg-for-heroes

Once you confirm your service time on their site, you are eligible for nearly 60% off on a set of these clubs. I'd never spend the huge $$ it would ordinarily cost to get a set of these. But today, courtesy of the discount, pulled the trigger for the 0311 XFs. So excited to try these clubs.

Anyway...thought I'd share the info in case anyone here is interested.

Went out sunday... first 3 holes went par, triple, bogey. 3 SHOULD have been par but missed a 4 footer. After that the wheels fell off lol. Had a good time, got rained on but it was a blast

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just getting back out there - you win :)

I've pretty much replaced every club in my bag save my putter this year. Here's what I'm carrying:

Calloway Rogue Draw Driver
Calloway Rogue 2 Hybrid
Calloway Rogue 5 Hybrid
Taylormade 2 iron
PXG 0311XF 3 iron through PW
Calloway Mack Daddy SW
Ping Putter

Played Saturday and Sunday with mixed results. The new irons look and feel great, but swinging them for the first time there's just enough difference between them and my previous clubs to throw me off some. I hit the wedge better than I ever have - consistently put it on the green on approach. The lower irons I didn't strike well at all but I chalk that up to lack of familiarity and probably overthinking my swing. Going to spend some time on the driving range this week and get more comfortable with them. One thing I noticed is that when I teed up the irons on Par 3's, my distance with these clubs was back to where it was when I was in my 20's. Really loving my new 'Draw' driver as it has pretty much eliminated my slice. It's rare that I don't drive the fairway with it. And I equally love my Rogue Hybrids although I'm still learning how to hit them. But when I do connect well, man they really launch the ball.

I'm really excited to be out there playing consistently... I expect to make major improvements this year.

Bought a new toy last weekend. Played Saturday with 2 young guys and noticed one of them kept looking at his phone/watch. Turns out he was using the Arccos 360 system. Basically, it's a series of 14 bluetooth sensors you screw into the grip whole on each club, and pair to the Arccos app on your phone. When you play a round, you load the golf course GPS map in the app, and each time you strike the ball, the sensor sends data to your phone. You can use the app to figure out any distance to points on a given hole, and it tracks each shot's distance and location. The stats you get both on your phone and on the online dashboard are amazing and it even figures your overall handicap. Very, very cool. Only downside is that you do have to carry your phone in your front pocket while playing. But it's worth that minor inconvenience. Amazing product.

I played in college for a while. I got to where I had a decent long game and a decent putting game, they just never showed up on the same day. Not even kidding either. Never broke 90. I'd either play tee to green in regulation and 4 putt or I'd loose 3 balls before I got my putter out and then drain a 40 footer from off the green to 1 putt. I once played a round where I used my putter for exactly 20 strokes and ended up shooting 93.

I too carried a 2 iron, Boone. I was often better with it than with my woods so it got used from the tee box. A lot.

I sold my clubs off when my wife and I were packing up to move about 15 years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.