• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 4/28/18: DL Da’Ron Payne and RB Derrius Guice

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
April 28, 2018

Introductory Press Conference:
DL Da'Ron Payne and RB Derrius Guice

Opening statements:
PAYNE: “First off, I just want to say I'm excited to be here and I'm glad to be a part of the organization and I'm just ready to get after it with my boys.”

GUICE: “I want to also start off by saying I'm blessed to be here, I thank God for this opportunity and I thank the owner, the GM, as well as Bruce [Allen] for bringing me here and it's going to be an exciting year.”

On taking their pre-draft visit with the Redskins together and if they envisioned being able to play together:
PAYNE: “I don't know. I didn't expect us to be here together playing, so I guess we could say that was just a little fun experience.”

GUICE: “To echo off what he said, we both didn't expect to be here a few weeks ago and be here at the same time now. Both getting drafted here, it's just a miracle.”

On describing a “family feel” from their visits with the Redskins on their respective conference calls:
PAYNE: “It's just love, and I don't know, it's like a feeling you get when you get around everybody. Everybody just wants to help you out and just make sure [they] get you to be the best person you can be. And I don't know, I love that about the Redskins.” -DP

GUICE: “To echo off what he said, just being around the organization and just having that feeling that it's just like a bond and it's just like a family. Even meeting some of the players when we were here and stuff, you can just tell it's a brotherhood and everybody wants everybody to succeed and be the best that they can be. And I feel like that's the biggest attribute that the Redskins have.”

On what went through Payne's mind after being selected:
PAYNE: “I was just really excited. I was just excited for my family. I had everybody there with me. It was just something that we have been dreaming about for a long time and just to see it all come together was just a once-in-a-lifetime experience.”

On Guice's relationship with Marshawn Lynch:
GUICE: “So I guess he's seen in reports a lot of comparisons between me and him, and in a lot of reports, people ask me who I model my game after and I always bring him up. So, he actually got his Beast Mode company to reach out to me and send me some of his gear and that's kind of how it kicked off. He sent me some Beast Mode gear and we've just been kicking it off ever since.”

On what advice Lynch gave to Guice:
GUICE: “Everything will play out how it should. Just trust the process and always have faith to keep God first. Everything is always going to fall into place at the end. When your time comes, be ready to ball out.”

On the picks being a reflection of the team's desire to run the ball and stop the run:
PAYNE: “I stop the run for a living, so I think that's going to be something easy. We are just going to get to it and I'm just happy to put that hat on and go to work. So it's going to be fun”

GUICE: “I think I'm more than prepared to run against, you know, tough guys like this one [nodding at Payne]. I've played against him in college as well. You know, at LSU, we run the ball a lot, so, you know, I'm all about carrying the load and getting a lot of touches and getting a lot of yards and touchdowns. So that's going to be something I'm looking forward to.”

On what it was like for Guice to run against the Alabama front:
GUICE: “It's one of those situations, you know, you face a team like Alabama once, twice a year, you know, and just knowing that I've got to prepare for the next level going against a team like that, where you are going against guys like that in the NFL every week. So, I'm more than prepared from playing in the SEC conference and it's going to be something to watch this year.”

On what it was like for Payne to play against Guice:
PAYNE: “Playing against him, it's like you just know what's going to happen. They are going to run the ball at you and it's going to be a battle in the trenches. And I think we always get pumped up for those type of games because we tried to pride ourselves on stopping the run, but they've got a good group of guys over there so we did what we had to do.”

On if Payne was surprised that Guice was not a first-round pick:
PAYNE: “Oh, they definitely got a steal. I thought he was going in the first.”

On if Payne is excited to play with his former teammates from Alabama:
PAYNE: “I think they're a little bit more excited than me [laughing], but, yeah, it should be a lot of fun. Just being able to come in and already have some guys that I know there, I think it's going to help with me just getting in and trying to get everything, they'll help me out with little things and just guide me in the right direction so I'm blessed for that.”

On Payne's meeting with Defensive Line Coach Jim Tomsula:
PAYNE: “Coach Tomsula, he loves me. He's crazy [laughter]. I'm just ready to get after it with him. We talked a bunch about the little schemes and stuff, so I'm just ready to go.”

On what Guice has to say to the teams that passed on him:
GUICE: “They picked great players. I can't control what happens. I'm here now. The Redskins definitely got a steal and everybody's going to see this year and we're going to have a great year.”

On reports about Guice following the combine:
GUICE: “My response to that is it's all behind me. The combine was a few months ago. I just got drafted by the Washington Redskins and I'm just ready to get to work with this great organization.”

On if Guice feels he needs to redeem himself:
GUICE: “Anytime somebody gets drafted, you know, it's a clean slate. You're going from college to a whole ‘nother level. You're going to the highest level of this whole business. Once you get here, you know you're representing the organization, you're representing yourself, you're representing your family. Everything behind me is behind me. This is a fresh, clean slate and I'm just ready to get to work.”

On if any of their new teammates have reached out to them already:
PAYNE: “Definitely. My guys, Jon [Allen] and Ryan [Anderson], they reached out to me first and then I know D.J. Swag [Swearinger], he hit me up yesterday and just congratulating me and just wishing me the best. I haven't talked to a bunch but I know they're ready for me to come in and get to work.”
GUICE: “Actually, big Trent [Williams] was one of the first guys that hit me up, man. He said he can't wait to block for me and stuff. It's going to be great. Actually Josh Norman hit me up as well. And, like he said, D.J. Swag hit me up as well. And also Chris Thompson. He's shaping back. He's going to be ready to go this year. So just seeing all the love from the players that are here now just warming you before you even get here, it's just one of those things, you can't wait to get here and go to work with these guys.”

On how much they knew about the Redskins prior to the draft:
GUICE: “We both have a good knowledge of what the team is about and a little history about the team. We also found out more things that we didn't know during the visit. It's just one of those organizations, they had a history for winning and stuff. They drafted us two because they know we can bring that back to Washington, help us win these games and like you say stop the run and build the run game up more. So that's what we're here to do.”

PAYNE: “Like he was saying, I learned a bunch along the way just during the process. I think we just want to come in and just bring our knowledge from college and just come in and just dominate and be guys they need.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe surrounded by Allen, Payne and Hamilton our 2017 #2 pick Ryan Anderson can start to emerge from the shadows in 2018.

At this point I am more than a bit concerned that Anderson and 2016 #1 pick Josh Doctson may turn out to be busts for the organization, at least for where they were drafted and how they are being used here.

I hope Doctson doesn't turn into another Brian Quick, a tall, fast WR that was taken high in the draft but came to us as a street free agent after some pretty average production with the Rams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.