• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2018 NFL Draft Discussion

Well, from what we saw with Allen last year players from Alabama come into the NFL with polished skills. Obviously these guys receive good coaching. We don't have to re-educate players at the pro level.

Guys like Robert Griffin III and Samaje Perine that played in spread offenses in college are really playing another sport.

The NFL is a big climb for guys like this. Their learning curve is huge and it often takes most of their 4 year rookie deals to start to emerge. By that time if they make it you are looking at having to give them a rich second contract.

I would rather take guys that already project favorably to the positions/responsibilities they will have in the NFL.

Traded the #44 to SF for the #59 and the #74 , giving us two picks tonight instead of just one.

From 12.19.17

I think if we sign KC and then look for a stud RB in a deep class - say, Derrius Guice - we can take a significant step forward offensively. Of course, that doesn't address our issues with DBs, but one thing at a time.

I love those days when the blind squirrel (moi) finds the nut. Doesn't happen often. But it DOES happen. 1st rd talent, stud, possible headcase. Begin prayers here...seriously, if this kid pans out, we have made a huge improvement offensively.

Guice immediately becomes the most explosive runner we've had here since CP ...

And this will piss some of you off, but I see a hint of Terry Allen there.

If his head stays on mostly straight, and we get a bit of fire on that side of the ball out of this kid, we might look back in a few years and think this was a good night indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't worry about his talent. He's a good RB. And he may not be the headcase that some report he is.

That's all we can hope.

Well, and also that Gruden will actually learn how to use the running game.

NFL.com on Geron Christian:

"This is one of the most interesting tackles because he has potential. Some of these tackles like the UCLA kid (Kolton Miller) they aren't going to get much better. This kid just needs more experience and coaching and I think he will be a starter down the road." -- NFC team offensive line coach

Guice immediately becomes the most explosive runner we've had here since CP ...

And this will piss some of you off, but I see a hint of Terry Allen there.

If his head stays on mostly straight, and we get a bit of fire on that side of the ball out of this kid, we might look back in a few years and think this was a good night indeed.

100% agree. He could provide the running game punch we haven't seen in a long time. Alex has to be loving this, what with his feel for Jay's WCO coupled with a potentially rugged ground game. Like this pick. A lot.

NFL.com on Geron Christian:

"This is one of the most interesting tackles because he has potential. Some of these tackles like the UCLA kid (Kolton Miller) they aren't going to get much better. This kid just needs more experience and coaching and I think he will be a starter down the road." -- NFC team offensive line coach

Meh. Not sold on his upside, but who the heck am I? Time, as always, will tell.

If there's one negative I see about Guice's running style, it's this: CP, and before him Riggo (an athlete ahead of his time btw) were one cut and go RB's. See the hole, hit the hole. Done deal. DG is more of a jump cut, Barry Sanders style back - albeit much bigger. I would rather see him plant his foot and get upfield with ferocity, in that anyone on the 2nd or 3rd level will feel it if they stick their head in there. But maybe that's how things are done today. Idk... As long as this workhorse gets his reps, keeps moving the chains, I don't care how, why or where he runs. C'mon young man! Let's strap it on!

IF Guice's head is on straight and he comes out of the draft experience a little wiser about how to act in public, then there is no question on a talent-alone standpoint the Redskins came out of the draft with two of the top 25 prospects in the draft.

That plus adding an OL that can play both left and right tackle with the extra #3 pick via the trade.

Are there some moves I would have made differently?

Perhaps.

I was high on Derwin James and would have taken him if there weren't some lingering concerns about his knee.

But putting James to the side because of the health issue, Payne was the obvious selection.

There really weren't any other DL available that had a blue chip pedigree at #13 for the team to pick.

In Round 2, I would have stayed at #44 and taken Josh Jackson at CB. I am not convinced Dunbar is a starting corner in the NFL. Moreau didn't show enough last year to think he is going to make a run for the job right away.

I think Jackson could have come in and had a legitimate chance to start sometime during his rookie season at a spot you have to have nailed down with the NFL being a passing league.

I also think Ronnie Harrison at S was another player the Redskins could have picked on Day 2. We don't yet know that Nicholson is going to develop into a full-time starter after an injury plagued first year. If he doesn't we only have DeShazor Everett in reserve and he is more of a special teamer.

But again, we needed a running back at some point. And it seemed clear the Redskins were not going to sign any free agent backs that had time in the league, such as CJ Anderson.

After taking Jones and Perine, I also thought the Redskins wanted to take a back earlier in the draft who had a lower floor in the NFL.

Jones was a bust and Perine didn't impress in 2017.

IF Guice's head is on straight and he comes out of the draft experience a little wiser about how to act in public, then there is no question on a talent-alone standpoint the Redskins came out of the draft with two of the top 25 prospects in the draft.

That plus adding an OL that can play both left and right tackle with the extra #3 pick via the trade.

Perhaps.

I was high on Derwin James and would have taken him if there weren't some lingering concerns about his knee.

But putting James to the side because of the health issue, Payne was the obvious selection.

There really weren't any other DL available that had a blue chip pedigree at #13 for the team to pick.

In Round 2, I would have stayed at #44 and taken Josh Jackson at CB. I am not convinced Dunbar is a starting corner in the NFL. Moreau didn't show enough last year to think he is going to make a run for the job right away.

I think Jackson could have come in and had a legitimate chance to start sometime during his rookie season at a spot you have to have nailed down with the NFL being a passing league.

I also think Ronnie Harrison at S was another player the Redskins could have picked on Day 2. We don't yet know that Nicholson is going to develop into a full-time starter after an injury plagued first year. If he doesn't we only have DeShazor Everett in reserve and he is more of a special teamer.

But again, we needed a running back at some point. And it seemed clear the Redskins were not going to sign any free agent backs that had time in the league, such as CJ Anderson.

After taking Jones and Perine, I also thought the Redskins wanted to take a back earlier in the draft who had a higher floor in the NFL.

Perhaps.

After taking Jones and Perine, I also thought the Redskins wanted to take a back earlier in the draft who had a higher floor in the NFL.

You can say that again. [emoji41]

I'm thrilled so far! Hats off to Bruce Allen, Doug Williams and anyone else that had impact on our draft moves to this point. Let's keep it rolling today!

I still don't get how draftniks on these networks take us down for selecting Payne.

In the 3-4 defense you need a NT that can anchor the LOS.

The best 3-4 defenses have always had that player - Haloti Ngata in Baltimore, Casey Hampton in Pittsburgh, Vince Wilfork in NE.

These teams won Super Bowls not only with but because of these players.

The fact Payne is not likely to be a guy that gets 9-10 sacks inside like a Jon Randle of yesteryear (DT playing in a 4-3 not 3-4!) is not a big issue IMO.

If he can take on a double team and get credible penetration, that's good enough to help the outside rushers who we are paying big bucks to record the sacks.

One of this team's greatest weaknesses was getting teams off the field on third downs and on goal line defense.

That speaks as much to strength along the DL as it does to deficiencies in the passing game.

Other teams consistently seemed to be able to run the ball to convert 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 plays on the Redskins to keep drives alive.

Ditto inside the 5 yard line.

The ability to hold teams to 3 points in that position rather than give up the 7 is huge and is a factor that has to weigh in to the score that the team gets for taking Payne.

Whether it should be an advanced stat or not, to me the conversion rate on these less than 5 yard situations on 3rd and 4th downs help make or break a defense.

Last year the Redskins finished 7th in the NFL with 42 sacks. We have players that can pressure the qb. With Allen back healthy that number should improve.

But we also finished 32nd against the run giving up 4.5 yards a carry and 132 yards a game.

THAT and not the pass rush is where this team's soft underbelly was that team's exploited to no end in 2016 and 2017.

They knock it because they don't think he is a 3 down player
It's like in 2015 Scherff was not high on those big boards but Scott and others had him as the 4th best player with trades lined up if Fowler was there. Of course Fowler was taken second and the trades dried up.
I think he is a 3 down player and if you look Leonard Williams regressed big time this year.
Win for us

As I recall the Redskins used to have a guard named Russ Grimm that was one of the most important players on the team and lead them to 3 Super Bowl wins.

I really don't care WHERE the A-class players are on the team, I just want to see a NUMBER of them on the roster.

You can win with a certain number of A players and a bevy of B players - solid guys that do their jobs consistently.

Under the cap there are a number of ways to build your team cost-wise.

To me I look at the following pattern to allocate dollars:

Offense:

QB, two tackles, one inside player at OG or C, one WR and one RB or TE.

Those are the spots I would look to allocate significant dollars to.

If you look at it this way, you find cheap depth at RB, a complementary WR, center and/or the off-guard position.

Defense:

Two defensive linemen on max-type deals, two linebackers - one outside rusher and one ILB and one shutdown corner and one deep center field safety who can also fill.

Again, you fill in around these positions with solid players on the DL, LB, #2 corner and off safety, etc.

If you organize that way you spread the wealth around your team and have a consistently solid all-around contender.

The problem comes in when teams spend all of the draft resources and free agent dollars on one side of the ball or at one or two specific positions, and that then leads to filling in at other positions with waiver wire quality/replacement level players.

That kind of team is rarely better than 9-7 or 10-6 and if they hit any kind of injury bug their season is usually over because they don't have any depth.

It's just the attraction to Derwin James, BT. One may be the human highlight reel, but the other may translate into more wins for the team.

I don't believe the team could have gone wrong with either.

Getting close to our fifth round selection
CB hill or DT settle both on the board as of now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.