• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Shanahan has an "open mind" about Portis

BGO

New Redskins coach Mike Shanahan has been reunited with a running back Shanahan traded to D.C. when Shanahan was in Denver. Shanahan now has to decide whether to keep Clinton Portis around.Charley Casserly of CBS reports that Shanahan has an...

More...

You may have a point regarding Florio's style, but I find it hard to argue with his contention that Portis is 'in decline'. Guy can't stay on the field - period. Couple that with his 'me first' and 'wannabe coach' attitude, and he's worn out his welcome in my opinion. I'd be happy to see him in another uniform.

Bottom line Mike, sometimes, the truth is a bitch.

Does Portis have any type of roster bonus dated March 1 or something like that? I think the ONLY way Shanahan might keep him is if he works his butt off IN WASHINGTON in the offseason. If he has a roster bonus, I'd say he's gone. He'll take a crapload of guaranteed money with him but a roster bonus won't be part of it.

After Portis went after MS and JC, is there anyone in the locker room that likes this guy?

Purge the poison.

Horseapples.

MS wasn't playing worth a crap and got called out on it.

Heck, after Portis was out, they even moved MS to TE and had Yoder playing FB because the supposed "Pro Bowl FB", wasn't getting the job done.

As for JC..

Portis didn't say anything that Chris Cooley didn't say earlier(that same day) on Sirius Radio.

But you guys go ahead and finish tying the knot and set fire to the brush you got piled around that pole you got CP bound to.

Bottom line is Portis has had the second highest workload in the NFL this decade and nearing 30 is a player that can no longer be counted on to be productive for 16 games.

If he were a better pass receiver and had a more manageable contract number perhaps he could transition into a Chester Taylor type back that sees situational duty and can be effective.

But he isn't a good receiver and he has used every opportunity whether Campbell this year or the OL last year to call out his teammates for criticism in the media.

Notice the Colts and Saints don't have negative influences like that on their teams.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Horseapples.

MS wasn't playing worth a crap and got called out on it.

I still haven't seen anyone give concrete examples of Sellers playing poorly. I certainly didn't notice - but I would imagine the FBs play would look pretty poor if the OL was in shambles and not blocking well.

Heck, after Portis was out, they even moved MS to TE and had Yoder playing FB because the supposed "Pro Bowl FB", wasn't getting the job done.

Well that's certainly some revisionist history - they moved Yoder to FB when Sellers was injured. He did not play in the Oakland game, the only game Yoder played FB.

As for JC..

Portis didn't say anything that Chris Cooley didn't say earlier(that same day) on Sirius Radio.

But you guys go ahead and finish tying the knot and set fire to the brush you got piled around that pole you got CP bound to.

There is no way that a reasonable human being can listen to the quotes from Cooley and Portis, and think that they were even remotely similar. Besides, if you are referring to the quotes I think you're referring to, Cooley was talking about Zorn, not Campbell.

There is no way that a reasonable human being can listen to the quotes from Cooley and Portis, and think that they were even remotely similar. Besides, if you are referring to the quotes I think you're referring to, Cooley was talking about Zorn, not Campbell.
I listened to both interviews live.

When Cooley was asked who the leader of the offense was, he replied that Rabach tried to fill that role.

He also said that Jason wasn't an in your face type, rah rah type guy.

Portis said basically the same thing that afternoon,yet Portis gets skewered but Cooley doesn't.

Sounds like a fanbase playing favorites if you ask me...........

I still haven't seen anyone give concrete examples of Sellers playing poorly. I certainly didn't notice - but I would imagine the FBs play would look pretty poor if the OL was in shambles and not blocking well.

Lanky, if you have any access to any game post-detroit (I didn't pay attention until after that game)......go back and watch when Mike is in for stretch plays. He whiffs on his blocks almost as bad as Landry does on his tackles, or he stands there looking for somebody to hit but doesn't.

In particular, watch the 1st half of the Atlanta game. (I'd look up down/distance but alas, I erased most of these ***** games after I watched them once).

The Yoder Oakland game was mentionable b/c Todd leveled guys and the Skins had a decent run performance, not saying that had anything to do with Sellers absence however.

Lanky, if you have any access to any game post-detroit (I didn't pay attention until after that game)......go back and watch when Mike is in for stretch plays. He whiffs on his blocks almost as bad as Landry does on his tackles, or he stands there looking for somebody to hit but doesn't.

In particular, watch the 1st half of the Atlanta game. (I'd look up down/distance but alas, I erased most of these ***** games after I watched them once).

I don't have any of the games stored either. Oh well, I'll take your word for it. I think a lot of his "whiffing" on blocks were guys getting there really quickly because of the predictability of our offense.

The Yoder Oakland game was mentionable b/c Todd leveled guys and the Skins had a decent run performance, not saying that had anything to do with Sellers absence however.

Doubtful, everyone ran well against Oakland last year.

Perhaps the difference between Cooley and Portis is that Cooley made his comments without trying to make his own case for being named team captain while Portis' comments as usual were more about HIM and HIS needs rather than what might be best for the team.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.