• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Re-Sign DL Phil Taylor

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
April 3, 2018

REDSKINS RE-SIGN DL PHIL TAYLOR SR.

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have re-signed defensive lineman Phil Taylor Sr. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Taylor (6-3, 343) was originally drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the first round (No. 21 overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft. He has appeared in 44 career regular season games with 42 starts, tallying 109 tackles (69 solo), 7.0 sacks, three passes defensed, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

Taylor finished his collegiate career at Baylor, where he started 22 of the 25 games in which he played for the Bears and earned All-Big 12 Conference honors as a senior after posting 62 tackles (35 solo), two sacks, two passes defensed and one forced fumble. He began his collegiate career at Penn State, appearing in 19 games with five starts for the Nittany Lions.

Taylor, 29, attended Gwynn Park H.S. in Brandywine, Md., where he earned all-state and All-Metro first-team honors as a senior. He was born April 7, 1988.

-REDSKINS-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This signing to me is fine AS LONG AS it is a depth move and not one to replace a move for a DT in free agency or the draft with a higher upside based on age and physical skills.

If this is indeed a move intended to plug in a nose tackle for the season, however, it will confirm a perception that Bruce Allen does not value the position and is not going to extend a contract of any real means to a player who fills it.

And if this is the case then the Redskins would be better served to move to a 4-3 where we can move Allen and Ioannidis inside and play Kerrigan and Smith at DE.

That way you get better 'push' players in the middle of the defense who can stop the run but also help collapse the pocket.

Mike Shanahan dreamed up using the 3-4 here with Jim Haslett and it has been a disaster from Day 1.

The team never invested 10 cents in the NT position. And the experiments with guys like Andre Carter moving from DE to OLB were for the most part dismal failures.

Considering the Skins signings so far, I don't see Taylor being penciled in as the starting NT. Pencil him to the 90 man roster - that's it.

Agreed, never did much to get a NT. Putting in DL who barely tip the scales at 300 because you need a Nose doesn't make them NT's. Hood & Ioannidis played pretty well when not being dumped in the middle.

We still need to sign Hankins and draft Payne/Vea.

With Gruden an offensive coach watch us draft a WR in Round 1 and a RB in Round 2 :laugh:

I know, I know. We didn't do it last year. But you have to understand how different 2017 truly was.

It was the first year since 1997 that we took a DL in the first round.

That was by FAR the biggest drought in the NFL during that period.

I would talk Payne or Derwin James at #13 , but I just see Gruden looking to offense in 2018.

He wants some shiny new toys.

Hankins is visiting the Jets. They've got about $9M more cap space and more signed players than Washington so if it comes to throwing money around, Jets have an advantage. That said, he may just be wanting way more than anybody is willing to pay him - else he'd been signed by now. Hasn't signed anywhere so he could still be in play for Washington. Definitely need to draft a guy no matter what, FA pickins' are getting slim.

The Jets did what the Redskins used to do under Cerrato, sign a bevy of players to 'win' in free agency in the offseason.

But the players they signed including Spencer Long and Terrelle Pryor aren't anything special to write home about.

If Hankins goes to the Jets it will be ONLY be for the money.

New York is a mess and New England owns that division year in and year out.

With Gruden an offensive coach watch us draft a WR in Round 1 and a RB in Round 2 :laugh:

I know, I know. We didn't do it last year. But you have to understand how different 2017 truly was.

It was the first year since 1997 that we took a DL in the first round.

That was by FAR the biggest drought in the NFL during that period.

I would talk Payne or Derwin James at #13 , but I just see Gruden looking to offense in 2018.

He wants some shiny new toys.

I hear you. Hard to imagine a scenario where one of the supposed 'can't miss' defensive prospects like Vea, James, Fitzpatrick, Ward, or Payne aren't available at 13. But we DO need a true impact every down RB badly. If the defensive guys we really pine for aren't there, or if they really love one of the RBs at 13, I won't hate it (or maybe I'm just preparing myself for the possibility :)).

I get the BPA argument - and I guess in theory, I favor that approach. But I do think we have some glaring needs that need to be addressed. Would I prefer we fill some of the defensive needs first? Yes. But I think any glaring need filled is a move in the right direction. If we don't get Hankins or Logan when all is said and done, it's going to make DL a much more critical need.

My objection to taking a running back in Round 1 is you just bought yourself a player that even if elite has the shortest expected length of career of any position in the NFL.

Unless you are acquiring an Ezekiel Elliott or Adrian Peterson that type of trade-off is rarely a value selection.

Look at the Patriots. They don't take RB that high in the draft.

They look to value free agency and trades to fill these slots. Occasionally you see a #2 or #3 pick, but never the top selections.

Dion Lewis, the starting back in 2017, was acquired off waivers from Philadelphia. The previous starter LeGarrette Blount was a street free agent signed after he was released by Tampa Bay and he helped them to 2 Super Bowls.

I don't think we have to acquire an elite talent to have a credible running game that can help us create balance on offense and make us harder to defend.

Again, the Eagles, Patriots and Broncos in recent years had good rushing attacks when they won the Super Bowl but they didn't have killer backs that were top 10-15 selections.

If this draft is as deep at RB as has been reported than a good front office will find a player in Round 2 or Round 3/4 that can come in and help carry the burden on the ground.

No reason to go off script from the sound philosophy of developing the DL and OL first and finding a quarterback and THEN moving on to fill the other positions.

We have a modicum of work to do on the offensive line in re LG and depth overall, but DL is still a glaring area that you simply can't win without.

You can scheme around an average running game, but if you can't stop the run on defense then the opposition is going to convert 40-45% on third downs as in 2016 and 2017 because they only have to convert for 1-2 yards for the first down.

The best defenses don't stop 3rd and 1's that often. They make plays on first and second down so that the offense is looking at 3rd and 7 or 3rd and 9, which are much lower percentage conversions.

Last edited:
I guess ultimately, before you can decide if its reasonable to draft a RB in the first round, you have to determine why we can't seem to field an effective rushing attack. Is it Gruden's scheme? The makeup/run blocking skills of the OL? Or the talent level of the backs we have on the roster. Seems to me, if you don't have the latter, you better have the former. And if the former are suspect, maybe getting an elite talent at RB is what's required?

I just don't know.

Well, perhaps the answer is to find an NFL caliber-starting back :)

Maybe we don't need to bring out the bazooka to find the next Emmitt Smith.

When I look at Rob Kelley, Samaje Perine, Kapri Bibbs, etc. I see a list of backup running backs at this level - what they call in baseball replacement level players.

Graduating from that to acquiring a mid-level back in the range of an Isiah Crowell or indeed a Jordan Howard to me is the next step.

A reasonable step.

If James, Fitzpatrick, or Vita are there (and I can't imagine the first two are) then I would take any of them and draft a RB in Round 2.

If I had my way with this we would take Payne and go back to a 4-3. We would end up with two dynamic inside DTs in Payne and Allen that could cause havoc with pressure to the qb.

Perhaps an equally attractive option is to take James at #13 and then grab a DT in Round 2.

We could then swing a deal for a Jordan Howard type back that has already proven himself at this level.

That to me would be getting maximum value out of the draft and give us 3 starters at key positions of need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.