• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The True Value of Su'a Cravens

The Burgundy Ghost

The Starter
Reaction score
Military Branch
Navy
Alma Mater
Salisbury
burgundyghostbanner2.png

So, want to know how much Su'a Cravens is really worth to his new team in terms of value?

Oh sure, we know what the trade was that went down.

Washington gets: Denver's 4th (109), 5th (142) and 5th (163) and a conditional 2020 6th rd. pick (???)
Denver gets: Washington's 4th (113), 5th (149) and Su'a Cravens (???)

But what does that mean value-wise when we're talking about picks and draft value?

Well, here's where some simple math and a standard Draft Value Chart plays a role.

So, using the chart we can derive a point value for every pick involved and then determine what Su'a is worth in the trade using simple algebra.

Su'a Cravens (x) + pick 113 (68 pts.) + pick 149 (31.8) = pick 109 (76) + pick 142 (35) + pick 163 (26.2) + 2020 6th pick (1)*

X + 99.8 = 138.2
X = 38.4 pts

38.4 pts breaks down to a 5th round pick around 135. So that's how much Denver really wants you Su'a, just saying.
It's not like there was another team that spent nearly ten times that number in draft value that really wanted you back in 2016 or anything.**

* Since the 2020 pick is conditional and takes place 2 years from now, I gave it a low point value of 1 since it basically meaningless right now.
** The Redskins used their 53rd pick (370 points in draft value) on Cravens in 2016.

You forgot to add a chucklehead factor of 98, then divide by the square root of immaturity. All that equals the Redskins getting something for nothing.

Like Alchemy :)

Please congratulate @The Burgundy Ghost (aka our old friend, formerly known as 'Walking Deadman') on his new BGO blog, 'Same As It Ever Was...'.

So glad you are writing again brother, and so glad you're doing it here with us :cheers:

I'm optimistic that writing about this team in the draft and beyond in 2018 is going to be a lot more fun and promising than it's been in awhile.

This was like the McNabb and Haynesworth trades.

We got a #6 for McNabb to mitigate one mistake and got a #5 from NE for Haynesworth, again getting rid of a problem.

Like McNabb and Haynesworth, there were signs with Cravens before the draft that said buyer beware.

McCloughan ignored them banking on the lure of Craven's athletic ability to overcome some other demons.

It backfired - Cravens did the same thing to us as he did to USC.

And we got what we could for a player no one is sure will stay with football long-term.

What makes me angry is seeing the little punk on ESPN talking about how HE needed a fresh start after bein in Washington when the truth was the opposite way around - we paid him and he bailed on us.

Was there an apology forthcoming?

No.

Another sign the self-indulgent Cravens is still ALL about himself.

Maybe we should ask the town drunk I mean riggens on his thoughts on this

Cravens left abruptly after not telling anyone a damn thing a few days before the opener.

If he was team - oriented as he claims he would have sought out medical help earlier in the summer when he said he had symptoms and worked with the organization, even if that meant a season on IR.

But he decided to bail and there is really no defense for that.

As he said it's a business and you don't walk out without explanation during the day at your workplace and then expect to have your job held open for you.

If he had acted maturely he wouldn't have needed a fresh start.

The Redskins kept DeAngelo Hall on the IR and brought him back after a series of major injuries because he dealt with the coaches in a straight up manner and didnt try and blame the team for his own foibles.

So happy to have the one and only Burgundy Ghost here. Great blogger. Nice friend. Redskins fan. Can't be that combo.

Cravens left abruptly after not telling anyone a damn thing a few days before the opener.

If he was team - oriented as he claims he would have sought out medical help earlier in the summer when he said he had symptoms and worked with the organization, even if that meant a season on IR.

But he decided to bail and there is really no defense for that.

As he said it's a business and you don't walk out without explanation during the day at your workplace and then expect to have your job held open for you.

If he had acted maturely he wouldn't have needed a fresh start.

The Redskins kept DeAngelo Hall on the IR and brought him back after a series of major injuries because he dealt with the coaches in a straight up manner and didnt try and blame the team for his own foibles.

Knee ankle and leg injuries are different than head trauma caused by concussions. Post concussion syndrome is very rare but I'd imagine with continuing effects it causes a person not to think correctly like people with PTSD. I wouldn't be surprised if the further research reveals that PTSD is common in folks with multiple concussions. I've dealt with people with PTSD and they make irrational decisions. Sounds like you want to condem him.

He left abruptly but it was the day the rosters were formalized for the season. He told teammates and coaches. He was later talked out of retiring. By the coaching staff. I don't know if he said it's a business but Trent Williams said it days after it happened. Like I said earlier ask John Riggens about what he thinks someone leaving.

Nice!

I guess the ultimate decider (nod to W) will be the one thing in this scenario that is truly un-quantifiable---the likelihood that Su'a Cravens dedicates himself to being a professional football player and adds value to the Broncos roster. Seems to me the smart money would be on that not happening. Generally, by this point in a guy's 'career' his stripes are evident. Hard to think of many guys for whom the light suddenly came on and they went 180 and turned shit into shinola.

We'll see.

Well, just as with Cousins, the 'outcry' from the Skins lockerroom is deafeningly silent. A couple of 'Good luck bro' posts on Twitter but I have to think his teammates know the deal with Cravens and there's no real sadness with his departure.

One thing Gruden and Allen get zero credit for - this is the most drama-free and disciplined lockerroom we've had in 20 years. There may be stuff going on, but we almost never get a whiff of it. And that's the way it should be.

Addition by subtraction. Works for me.

Nice opener Ghost! Welcome back too...you were missed.

We need to do a better job before the draft in evaluating players from the neck up.

Guys like Cravens and Doctson have undeniable physical ability but are not in the true sense of the word 'football players' as McCloughan and others put forward.

Cravens walked away in college and came into the NFL without an established position.

A guy like that I would not take high in Round 2 when this team has so many needs and really needs to focus on players that are a better bet to be solid to superior NFL players.

A team like NE or the Eagles can take a flyer on a guy like this but the Redskins are not a 14-2 or 13-3 type club that can afford to bust a #2 pick.

Likewise with Doctson, it seems clear that he was drafted on athletic ability. His knowledge of his craft -route running and sophistication in the passing game to me is BELOW what you normally expect to see of a guy taken that high.

It's OK to draft Robert Davis in Round 6 and then have to spend 2-3 years working on him to develop into a contributor.

When you take a guy at #2 2 overall you expect more than a one-dimensional threat who is not even on the field on 3rd and 5 because the coaches question his hands and toughness.

I would argue that it isn't even alright for NE or Philly. The reality is that they got there by making those 2nd and 3rd round picks count and if they want to stay there then they keep making those picks count.

In the salary cap era, those picks have to play well for you. Gambling is for later rounds after you have money in the bank.

WD -err, Ghost - long time buddy! As a re-roll myself (the artist formerly known as BRD) good to see your stuff here amigo. Can't re-enlist on The Hogs, don't want to continue on ES, so this is my 'Skins home moving forward. Incisive as always, and way above my skillset. Great post brother.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.