A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
The future is NOW.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    04-13-14
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    1,214
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    1
    Army

    Default Re: Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Maybe, just maybe the signing of McPhee means they plan to move him to the inside. Compton is gone, do they plan to start Foster aside Brown?
    McPhee pretty much an outside guy but maybe they can move him around kinda like they did with Jackson. Foster & Brown with both on the inside might be interesting. Between the 2, Foster much better against the pass & Brown much better against the run.
    Last edited by JohnssBass; 03-28-18 at 09:23 PM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  2. #22
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    10,931
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default Re: Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnssBass View Post
    McPhee pretty much an outside guy but maybe they can move him around kinda like they did with Jackson. Foster & Brown with both on the inside might be interesting. Between the 2, Foster much better against the pass & Brown much better against the run.
    I meant with McPhee coming in, Anderson may be switched to the ILB next to Brown. McGhee is an edge rusher, wouldn't want him anywhere else.
    0 1 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  3. #23

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    6,585
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

    Default Re: Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

    Foster and Brown started last year. Run D was looking good too. Once Allen and Foster were out, Matt too, things kinda didn't go so well.

    I look for them to start again this year. Unless maybe our #1 is one of the stud ILB's projected to go early.
    0 1 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  4. #24
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    10,931
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default Re: Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

    Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    Foster and Brown started last year. Run D was looking good too. Once Allen and Foster were out, Matt too, things kinda didn't go so well.

    I look for them to start again this year. Unless maybe our #1 is one of the stud ILB's projected to go early.
    Will Comprton was the starter until he got hurt, then Foster came in.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  5. #25

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    6,585
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

    Default Re: Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

    Doesn't matter. Brown and Foster started for a time last year. And things went well.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  6. #26
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    10,931
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default Re: Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

    Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    Doesn't matter. Brown and Foster started for a time last year. And things went well.
    Well that statement is subjective. The reality is Mason Foster is a backup, we need someone next to Brown who is better than Foster. If Ryan Anderson can be that guy, then so be it, I feel the signing of McPhee and word from BB earlier in the offseason mean it could be. I feel only so good about Mason Foster starting.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  7. #27

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    6,585
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

    Default Re: Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

    Oh, I don't disagree. My preference for our #1 pick this year is for any position up the middle. Dline, ILB, or even safety. Hopefully all three positions will be upgraded, if possible.

    I'm saying that if we have to go with Foster and Brown, that won't be turrable. It would be fantastic if Anderson can develop into a great ILB.
    0 3 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  8. #28
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    10,931
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default Re: Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

    They could be if the FO was willing to spend just a tad more for the available players out there, at least on the DL.

    Apparently no one wants to pay Hankins the money he wants, but we should at least be willing to pay more than most...seems we're not. I'm not talking about making him the highest paid player in the history of football, but we can afford to give a young DL money if he is talented enough for it.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    3,011
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Default Re: Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

    Maybe we have, E. Maybe he hasn’t yet come to grip with his perceived value vs his real value (what someone is willing to pay). Who the hell knows. The one thing I am satisfied with is that the team is unwilling to offer outside of their comfort zone. I can’t imagine them drawing a strict line and refusing to exceed it if it’s peanuts more.

    The team has some important contracts coming up. Id rather they stretch their salary ideals for someone like Scherff.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It is awesome to be ME.
    Proud BGO Premium Member since Day 1.
    (a/k/a Monte51Coleman)

  10. #30
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    04-13-14
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    1,214
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    1
    Army

    Default Re: Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

    I'm glad the Skins are setting a limit on how much they're willing to spend on any particular player. Just because you have the cash to spend doesn't mean you have to spend it. Sometimes this turns into, 'Hey, we woulda/coulda/shoulda signed this guy' (like possibly Hankins) if he signs elsewhere. Fair enough. But this is a new way of conducting business for Washington so it's gonna take some getting used to.

    And Hankins is still unsigned so maybe he still winds up in DC.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  11. #31
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-19-09
    Location
    Bethesda Md
    Posts
    6,305
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default Re: Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

    I don't think McPhee is going to have any issues fitting in with the Redskins' defense.

    To me the concern at linebacker is trying to find a way to constructively employ Ryan Anderson and get value out of that #2 pick on the field.

    Perhaps we DO in fact need to move him inside to ILB as he doesn't have the athleticism to be an edge rusher but he is a 100% effort guy that has good tackling ability.

    Manusky and the defensive staff need to do MORE in camp and the preseason to try different combinations and keep their minds open as to where a player like Anderson can contribute.

    As a team we are too often slow to integrate younger players into what to date has been a mediocre roster overall.

    We finished 9-7, 8-7-1 and 7-9 the past 3 years. It's not like we finished 12-4 those years and legitimately have a starting 22 that is very hard to crack.
    0 1 0 0
     
     

  12. #32
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    10,931
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default Re: Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnssBass View Post
    I'm glad the Skins are setting a limit on how much they're willing to spend on any particular player. Just because you have the cash to spend doesn't mean you have to spend it. Sometimes this turns into, 'Hey, we woulda/coulda/shoulda signed this guy' (like possibly Hankins) if he signs elsewhere. Fair enough. But this is a new way of conducting business for Washington so it's gonna take some getting used to.

    And Hankins is still unsigned so maybe he still winds up in DC.
    It's not new anymore, they've been doing it for 6 or 7 seasons now to no avail.

    The Eagles proved last year when we all laughed at them, that a splash is warranted, as long as you don't give up other resources to do so. They signed WR Alshon Jeffery (FA), RB LeGarrette Blount (FA), WR Torrey Smith (FA), DE Chris Long (FA), DT Timmy Jernigan (FA), DE Derek Barnett (R1), CB Sidney Jones (R2), CB Rasul Douglas (R3), RB Donnel Pumphrey (R4), WR Mack Hollins (R4), WR Shelton Gibson (R5) in a single off-season coming off a mediocre season. They win a Super Bowl because they got significantly better. After winning a Super Bowl, they make more moves that require resources and money like the trade fo Michael Bennett, which hopefully comes back to bite them in the ass, but a move they were willing to make with the info they had at the time.

    Since Shanahan was here we went into a much more "methodical" approach to FA, signing 2nd and 3rd tier players who were affordable, but contributed little on the field, Andre Roberts. We made a couple of splashes, DeSean Jackson and Josh Norman, but overall we have been "methodical" and we sit in mediocrity, much the same as when we were making splashes.

    We are a good enough team to go deep, if we address depth and 4 major positions of need: DL, we need to add 2 more starters, we must sign one, Hankins, and draft one in the first round, Vea or Payne. ILB, ILB, maybe Richardson can fill the bill, maybe Foster can call the defense as well as Compton, but wee need to have someone next to Brown. LG, there are still a handful of capable guards in FA who can come in on 3 year contract better than Lavauo. WR, we must get a veteran capable of being a go to guy like we missed in Garcon last year. There's no drafting that position early with all the other needs and the youngsters we have who need to step up, we need a vet.

    Last year the Eagles filled 4 positions of need with FA and drafted more.

    A splash or 2 need to be made. At this point no one out there is break the bank of a splash so we can afford it with the amount of space we have.
    Last edited by Elephant; 03-29-18 at 10:24 PM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  13. #33

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    3,011
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Default Re: Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

    I would love to see what the current players can accomplish with a relatively healthy season. The team looked pretty damn good early until the players started dropping like flies. Unfortunately they seem to do that more than most teams on a consistent basis.

    I not normally a mulligan giver but I lean that way toward last season. I’d love to see more of the team that spanked the Raiders and should have beaten the Chiefs on the road.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It is awesome to be ME.
    Proud BGO Premium Member since Day 1.
    (a/k/a Monte51Coleman)

  14. #34

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    16,741
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    93
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Re: Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I would love to see what the current players can accomplish with a relatively healthy season. The team looked pretty damn good early until the players started dropping like flies. Unfortunately they seem to do that more than most teams on a consistent basis.

    I not normally a mulligan giver but I lean that way toward last season. I’d love to see more of the team that spanked the Raiders and should have beaten the Chiefs on the road.
    That's pretty much how I feel as well Chris. I am also very excited to see what a Gruden-Smith passing offense looks like, especially if we grab a true #1 RB in the draft. There are no certainties in life or the NFL, but based on what we know about the two of them, I would not be surprised to see a big leap in production on that side of the ball this year.

    I'll go contrarian here and say that our defensive backfield is going to surprise people and that we'll look back on all of the concerns over losing Fuller and Breeland as overwrought. I think we add an impact safety or corner in rounds 1-4 as part of that optimism.

    I'm more excited for the draft and the upcoming season than a lot of people, and certainly the most excited I've been in awhile as a Skins fan. I really like the moves the Redskins have made this offseason so far. Not perfect - but it never is - but I think we've gone a long way towards fixing a couple of key areas of concern in acquiring a beyond capable experienced QB and a burner WR with a lot of upside, and will address 1 or 2 more needs in the draft.

    We'll be picked as NFC East cellar dwellers as usual. But I think we're a playoff team this year.
    0 1 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  15. #35
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-19-09
    Location
    Bethesda Md
    Posts
    6,305
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default Re: Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

    But the Eagles had a franchise quarterback, a solid OL and on defense a good front line even before they added Long.

    Because we whiffed on Cravens as a high draft pick and signed at least one dud in free agency last year in Terrell McClain, we have not gotten the most of the resources we have had at our disposal on defense.

    As indicated we haven't seen much out of Ryan Anderson, another high choice, from 2017.

    If all three of these players had come in and performed at a high level perhaps this defense would be close to where the Eagles were in 2017 to then go out and make quite a number of moves.

    Hopefully, by doing what the Patriots do and signing free agents that were cut by their former clubs like McPhee so they don't count in the comp pick equation, the Redskins are going to start seeing a lot of #4 , #5 and #6 picks added in the draft in 2019 and 2020.

    If you make good selections there you end up with contributors who are making below the veteran minimum.

    I agree that Hankins may be a special case. He is only 25, and did have 7 sacks in his final year in New York working at DT.

    The fact he was cut means he also wouldn't count in the comp pick formula.

    But the Redskins may have decided that rather than giving Hankins $9M a year they are going to take Payne at #13 and have a player for 5 years at a cheaper price who has more upside.

    Given how strong the interest seems to be in the quarterbacks in this draft, it is becoming likely that the players the Redskins have a chance to grab at #13 may be a choice between the best DT, best safety, best wide receiver, best inside linebacker, etc. overall.

    That is a rare opportunity. Usually once you are beyond the #8-10 picks most of the A - top of the class candidates have been taken.

    Derwin James is also looking like a player that could dominate at the next level.

    I would not be averse to the Redskins taking James at No. 13 and then going DT in Round 2.

    We could use the extra picks in Rounds 5 and 6 to perhaps move up from our own #4 and get a pick in Round 3 back to take a running back.

    That way we would come out of the draft with THREE key need areas addressed with players who project to be starters in the NFL.
    0 1 0 0
     
     

  16. #36

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    16,741
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    93
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Re: Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog's Twin View Post
    But the Eagles had a franchise quarterback, a solid OL and on defense a good front line even before they added Long.

    Because we whiffed on Cravens as a high draft pick and signed at least one dud in free agency last year in Terrell McClain, we have not gotten the most of the resources we have had at our disposal on defense.

    As indicated we haven't seen much out of Ryan Anderson, another high choice, from 2017.

    If all three of these players had come in and performed at a high level perhaps this defense would be close to where the Eagles were in 2017 to then go out and make quite a number of moves.

    Hopefully, by doing what the Patriots do and signing free agents that were cut by their former clubs like McPhee so they don't count in the comp pick equation, the Redskins are going to start seeing a lot of #4 , #5 and #6 picks added in the draft in 2019 and 2020.

    If you make good selections there you end up with contributors who are making below the veteran minimum.

    I agree that Hankins may be a special case. He is only 25, and did have 7 sacks in his final year in New York working at DT.

    The fact he was cut means he also wouldn't count in the comp pick formula.

    But the Redskins may have decided that rather than giving Hankins $9M a year they are going to take Payne at #13 and have a player for 5 years at a cheaper price who has more upside.

    Given how strong the interest seems to be in the quarterbacks in this draft, it is becoming likely that the players the Redskins have a chance to grab at #13 may be a choice between the best DT, best safety, best wide receiver, best inside linebacker, etc. overall.

    That is a rare opportunity. Usually once you are beyond the #8-10 picks most of the A - top of the class candidates have been taken.

    Derwin James is also looking like a player that could dominate at the next level.

    I would not be averse to the Redskins taking James at No. 13 and then going DT in Round 2.

    We could use the extra picks in Rounds 5 and 6 to perhaps move up from our own #4 and get a pick in Round 3 back to take a running back.

    That way we would come out of the draft with THREE key need areas addressed with players who project to be starters in the NFL.
    Yeah, love the idea of going James in round 1, best DL available in round 2, and moving up to round 3 for one of the remaining RBs.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  17. #37
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    10,931
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default Re: Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog's Twin View Post
    But the Eagles had a franchise quarterback, a solid OL and on defense a good front line even before they added Long.
    And you think at this stage in their careers Wentz is a better QB than Alex Smith?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog's Twin View Post
    Because we whiffed on Cravens as a high draft pick and signed at least one dud in free agency last year in Terrell McClain, we have not gotten the most of the resources we have had at our disposal on defense.
    You can belabor that point to no end, but all teams bust on a 2nd round pick. You can leave the whole Scot wasn't as good as we thought line behind now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog's Twin View Post
    As indicated we haven't seen much out of Ryan Anderson, another high choice, from 2017.

    If all three of these players had come in and performed at a high level perhaps this defense would be close to where the Eagles were in 2017 to then go out and make quite a number of moves.
    That Eagles team was not set on both lines as you suggest, yes they had Cox, but they needed help after losing Bennie Logan, went out and got it. Where we are in a better position on our current D is the CB position, they went out and signed 3 and drafted one in the 2nd round who was their #4 CB last year.

    They were developing a core, but their OL was not as good as our's is now. Their DL, yes, but their secondary was in shambles. They tripled down on that position of need. They needed a RB, they ended up with 2 starters by season's end.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog's Twin View Post
    I agree that Hankins may be a special case. He is only 25, and did have 7 sacks in his final year in New York working at DT.

    The fact he was cut means he also wouldn't count in the comp pick formula.

    But the Redskins may have decided that rather than giving Hankins $9M a year they are going to take Payne at #13 and have a player for 5 years at a cheaper price who has more upside.

    I still contend that we should sign Hankins and draft Vea or Payne. We'd have 2 starting DL tied up in rookie contracts for the next 3 years...that's out current window with Gruden. Still, wouldn't mind James, but I think the real need is along the DL and we should solidify it.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  18. #38
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    05-17-10
    Posts
    1,181
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Navy

    Default Re: Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

    James is gone by the time we draft look around 7-9 but no farther than 11
    0 0 0 0
     
     

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Redskins.com: Redskins Sign LB Pernell McPhee
    By BGO in forum Redskins News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-18, 03:36 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-18, 03:36 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-18, 11:56 AM
  4. Film Room: Pernell McPhee
    By BGO in forum NFL News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-15, 12:07 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-15, 01:56 AM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •