• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Sign LB Pernell McPhee

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
March 26, 2018

REDSKINS SIGN LB PERNELL McPHEE

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed free agent linebacker Pernell McPhee. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

McPhee (6-3, 269) was originally selected by the Baltimore Ravens in the fifth round (No. 165 overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft. He has appeared in 96 career regular season games with 23 starts, totaling 182 tackles (139 solo), 31.0 sacks, 12 passes defensed, six forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and one interception with the Ravens (2011-14) and Chicago Bears (2015-17).

Last season, McPhee played in 13 games for Chicago, starting five, and contributed 21 tackles (20 solo), 4.0 sacks and a forced fumble. He has forced a fumble in six of his seven NFL seasons.

McPhee played collegiately at Mississippi State, where he started all 25 games in which he played. He earned first-team All-SEC honors as both a junior and senior.

McPhee, 29, attended Pahokee (Fla.) H.S., where he helped lead his team to a 14-0 record and the Florida State Class 2B Championship while earning All-State honors. He was born Dec. 17, 1988.

-REDSKINS-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was born on my 30th birthday. Got a new player to cheer for now.

I like the move, I just wish they would put more emphasis on the 2 biggest positions of need, WR and DL.

Last edited:
I like the move, I just wish they would put more emphasis on the 2 biggest positions of need, WE and DL.

Yeah, if this guy can stay healthy, he looks quite disruptive.

And while I agree DL should be, and mostly likely is, a position we need to lean towards,
I don't think we really need a Walking Encyclopedia.

Yeah, if this guy can stay healthy, he looks quite disruptive.

And while I agree DL should be, and mostly likely is, a position we need to lean towards,
I don't think we really need a Walking Encyclopedia.

Haha! Huh?

This was a smart move. Murphy wanted too much money to be brought back as a backup or rotation player. At the same time Galette had dropped 10-15 pounds in response to those achilles injuries and at 30 is more of a situational pass rusher now than a guy that can go in and play all three downs if Kerrigan or Smith misses a few games.

McPhee is big enough to be a run down performer and has good rush skills, so this to me is 2 for 1.

At 29 he's not too old, actually a year and some younger than Galette without the same history of very serious injury.

Plus I like that McPhee grew up in the prototypical 3-4 defense in Baltimore and performed well in it, getting a Super Bowl ring as a rookie.

IMO Galette is likely to sign with a team like Atlanta where he can be a situational edge rusher while not being counted on for early down reps. I think while he didn't say it, he is looking to join a team he thinks will be an immediate contender.

Whether that team is Atlanta or another team still out there with interest in Galette is a question. Atlanta may have hit its high water mark in that game against the Patriots. Other clubs like the Rams, Vikings, Eagles in the NFC have already spent a lot of their free agent dollars and he never was invited in for a visit by those teams.

Galette and Hankins are both sitting out there unsigned. Must just be the Redskins' stupidity, though. Everyone else has legit concerns.

Galette's injury history is a big red flag for everybody now that he is over 30. Those past two years of achilles injuries unless he is super-human are in the end going to help shorten his career in the NFL. Again, I think he is already more limited going from 267 to 255 or so to put less wear and tear on his legs, meaning he is really not an option on the early downs setting the edge vs. the rush.

Welcome PERNELL “the Nanny” McPHEE!

Good (not great) inside move & he really wraps up well on tackles. He's like their # 4 OLB right now so that in itself should help keep him off IR. Skins have done well in terms of how much they're willing to pay guys this year. Haven't seen his terms yet but guessing not over $3M @ year plus incentives...

The ‘Skins have done a much better job paying these secondary guys more what they should be getting paid and not $7m a year.

We got us a legit edge-setting SSLB. Who it seems can provide occasional effective pass rush off the edge against average RT's.

Oh, and he's a grown-ass man.

Can't help but wonder what Manusky has in mind for Ryan Anderson ...

Unfortunately Ryan Anderson and Su'a Cravens delivered almost nothing in 2017, that is one reason the team's record has not improved.

Those two #2 picks we used should be players we now either are starting or project as starters and instead we are wondering if they have real futures with the team.

Not a good state of affairs.

The Anderson situation I view very differently. He worked all year and still has the opportunity to make some steps forward like most draftees in years 2 & 3 like most to prove their value.

Cravens was a quitter and a drama queen.

Not every player comes out a superstar right away as we have seen with Morgan Moses and many others but it seems they contribute more as the years go on. I would be more worried if a guy came out the gates firing on all cylinders then didn't do nothing for the next couple of years
If he isn't producing at the end of his contract we can say for sure he is a bust. We go through this every year with certain players and will continue to some adapt right away others take a year or 2.

Salary details, per Spotrac: link: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/pernell-mcphee-7884/

$950K salary/$350k signing bonus/$406,250 roster bonus/+ $31,250 per game active bonus ($500k for 16 games). So a max (based on 16 games played) is a shade over $2.2m. The most they'd be out if he doesn't make the team is $350k (signing bonus).

On the per game bonus, 13 games are determined as LTBE (Likely To Be Earned). That's $406,250 that would hit the cap this year, provided he makes the roster. Any games under 13 would be a cap credit in 2019 to Washington of $31,250 times the number of games he missed the active roster this year under 13. Conversely, the Skins would get a cap hit in 2019 of $31,250 times the number of games on the active roster above 13.

Anyway, a very low risk signing.

The Anderson situation I view very differently. He worked all year and still has the opportunity to make some steps forward like most draftees in years 2 & 3 like most to prove their value.

Cravens was a quitter and a drama queen.

I see this the same, although I was very disappointed they drafted him and not DeMarcus Walker to lineup next to Allen. Walker was a beast in college and we could have had him in the 2nd round.

We'll see how Anderson works out, but we could have done better.

My concern with Anderson is he projected as a 4-3 SAM linebacker coming out of college and the Redskins took him to be groomed as a 3-4 edge rusher behind Kerrigan and Smith?

That's not going to happen. Anderson is a scrappy, heady player who goes 100% sideline to sideline and has an edge to him. He diagnoses well. He tackles well.

Those are the attributes of an inside linebacker in the 3-4 or an outside linebacker in the 4-3.

As others have said, there were other options that fit the particular scheme we are running.

And there were options at other positions. As strong as the Alabama defense was and Anderson looked good in it, there were more talented players in Round 2 we could have considered at other positions.

Maybe, just maybe the signing of McPhee means they plan to move him to the inside. Compton is gone, do they plan to start Foster aside Brown?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.