• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Sign CB Orlando Scandrick

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
March 19, 2018

REDSKINS SIGN CB ORLANDO SCANDRICK

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed free agent cornerback Orlando Scandrick. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Scandrick (5-10, 196) is a 10-year NFL veteran who had spent his entire career to date with the Dallas Cowboys since being selected in the fifth round (No. 143 overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft. He has appeared in 125 career regular season games with 69 starts, compiling 391 tackles (347 solo), 63 passes defensed, 11.5 sacks, eight interceptions (including one returned for a touchdown), eight forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.

Last season, Scandrick started all 11 games in which he played for Dallas, posting 40 tackles (32 solo) and three passes defensed. With exception of 2015 in which he missed the full season while rehabbing from a knee injury, Scandrick has played in at least 11 games in every year of his NFL career.

Scandrick played collegiately at Boise State, where he started 38 of the 39 games in which he played and recorded 152 career tackles, 3.5 sacks and five forced fumbles.

Scandrick, 31, attended Los Alamitos (Calif.) H.S., where he was a first-team All-Sunset League selection. He was born Feb. 10, 1987.

-REDSKINS-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the first move of the offseason I think is a mistake.

2 years and $10M?

Cromartie, who is a better corner, was going to cost that much at 32?

Yes, Scandrick was a second team all-pro in 2014 but the last 3 seasons have not been kind to him physically.

I thought when we traded Fuller that we were not just going to trot Dunbar and Moreau out there as younger players as many suggested.

We don't really do that.

But Scandrick has lost speed and I wonder if this is a McClain type signing?

Especially if Holsey or Moreau surprises in camp.

Then we are stuck with another veteran whose contract outweighs his contribution.

If anything, Scandrick brings a level of experience and leadership to the team and some stability to the slot corner position, which is very much needed among our defensive backs unit. By all accounts, he seems to be a good locker room guy and as a low round pick, has had to find a way to survive in the NFL. There's value in that, especially for the likes of Josh Holsey and Quinton Dunbar who will have to follow a similar path. I think the wild card among our DBs is Moreau. He's much like Fuller in the sense that he was projected as being a guy that had first round talent, but was held back by injury. If the organization has the confidence that he can become a starting corner in a year or two and can legitimately produce, then Scandrick becomes a fairly usable piece of the puzzle that can help hold down the fort until then, while also doubling as a teacher in the meeting room. Provided we aren't counting on the guy to be our top one or two defensive backs at any point throughout the season, it's a decent depth move.

Bruce Allen and his infatuation with worn out Ex-Cowboys.

It's like he has to have one on his teams.

Pierce and Robinson were younger than the 31 year old Scandrick.

Given his 3 year history of injury since 2015 I am surprised Scandrick could pass a physical.

Considering we were bringing in DB's off the street last year when the wave of injuries became a tsunami, I don't see much downside to adding a veteran presence, one who has been effective in the slot in particular. I doubt we're done in the secondary either. Let's see where Scandrick fits into the overall picture after the draft and the final FA market ... his contract won't keep us from adding younger guys if the right one(s) come along.

He played a lot of slot in Dallas. I expect the same in DC.

Every time I see the words 'brings experience and leadership' I think of Ryan Clark, Donte Whitner and Co., late career veterans that came here for one last paycheck before they exited the NFL in their 30's.

For the most part these guys couldn't play a lick anymore and were shells of their former selves.

Get over it dude. We got him for a bag of peanuts. If he plays real well, we'll have to throw in a medium diet pepsi.

Big deal.

Get over it dude. We got him for a bag of peanuts. If he plays real well, we'll have to throw in a medium diet pepsi.

Big deal.

Takes up a roster spot for someone better, like DRC or a youngster who may need a year to develop.

Takes up a roster spot for someone better, like DRC or a youngster who may need a year to develop.

OK. Cut him before the season starts if either/both of those happens. Eat $1M in dead money. Still cheap.

That's the point, though. Bruce & Co may think they have the slot position secured with Scandrick and not look to add any further players at CB as a result until camp or the preseason which may be too late. The danger is not in adding his salary, it is in the team thinking he has more to offer after his injuries at 31 than he in fact may be able to offer.

One of the reasons he asked for his release from Dallas was he was slated to be a backup CB with the Cowboys in 2018. That's a pretty big fall from grace from being a second-team all-pro in 2014.

Considering his incentives are tied to games played it would seem the Skins aren't done looking at FA/Draft/guys already on the roster options.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.