• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Hidden Gems: Your Favorite Underrated Flicks

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
I am a big movie fan. I have thousands of old classic movies I could recommend having spent 50+ years watching them. Some are well-known. Many are oldie goldies. Many are modern movies that I feel are underrated.

I'll start with a relatively recent one that I have watched a number of times.

'17 Again'

The premise has been done over and over and over again, either backwards or forwards. Young person becomes old, or old person becomes young. Nothing original in the concept.

This one is very sweet though. Matthew Perry is failing at life. His job, his marriage, as a Dad. He gets the chance to do it over again. Zac Efron does an amazing job as the young protagonist, and the lovely Leslie Mann is a treat as his conflicted wife. Add in Thomas Lennon as Efron's fake Dad, and Melora Hardin as the sexy teacher, and it's really a very enjoyable little movie.

If you're a romantic that is :)

Once Upon a Time in America

I think part of the reason it never got much acclaim is because it is a loooooong movie.

Once Upon a Time in America

I think part of the reason it never got much acclaim is because it is a loooooong movie.

Thought you were going to say ‘Once Upon a Time in the West' which is also amazing. Henry Fonda plays one of the best bad guys ever. And Claudia Cardinale is every young boy's fantasy...

Both are amazing Sergio Leone movies though - good call!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another one that I like for some reason...Big Fish

It's usually the father/son relationship movies that get me.

Father-Son movies? So many great ones, including 'Field of Dreams', 'The Great Santini'...so many more.

October Sky has to be one of the most amazing though. I have seen in many times, and I get a tear in my eye and lump in my throat every time. 'Werner Von Braun is a great man - but he's not my hero...'. Gulp.

If you still have your Dad around, you are lucky. And you need to spend more time with him. And that's all I have to say about that.

Another one that I like for some reason...Big Fish

It's usually the father/son relationship movies that get me.

And my kids especially loved 'Big Fish' as well as another one that reminds me of it (similar style), 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'.

Yup, another one...such a good cast of actors in that movie, too.

As for Curious Case of Benjamin Button, I like it...but not one I think I could watch again.

And you know what, to this day I have still not seen Field of Dreams.

As a Sales Professional ( :p ), GlenGarry Glen Ross is a must-watch every other year.

As a wine enthusiast, Bottle Shock is completely and utterly charming and enjoyable.

Benny & Joon is a lot of fun as well.

Don't know how I've missed this 2016 flick - since I watch a LOT of movies.

Captain Fantastic

Caught this one tonight and it is just an amazing little movie full of wonderful performances. Viggo Mortenson is, in fact, fantastic as a surviving parent of 6 kids who he and his wife have raised in the wilderness. His mentally ill wife's suicide throws their world into turmoil.

This one has everything. Laughter, tears, profound moments - it's really just a great little movie - the kind rarely made these days. Same quirky qualities of a 'Breaking Away.

I absolutely loved it. Can't wait to watch it again with my wife.

I really enjoyed 'Begin Again', a movie with Mark Ruffalo and Kiera Knightley that is really heartwarming. My son, out of curiosity, looked up the director of that one's other flicks. So on Christmas day we ended up watching 'Sing Street' and 'Once'. 'Sing Street' is fun and watchable, but 'Once' is a really great love story with some great music. I really recommend it.

Was talking about this one the other day with another friend, who turns out had just moved to Atlanta after the bombings, but I thought Richard Jewel was way under rated. I thought it was one of Clint's best over the past decade that just got lost because of the success of American Sniper and The Mule.

Was talking about this one the other day with another friend, who turns out had just moved to Atlanta after the bombings, but I thought Richard Jewel was way under rated. I thought it was one of Clint's best over the past decade that just got lost because of the success of American Sniper and The Mule.

Have you watched the Netflix series on this?

Manhunt? I watched some of it, but fell asleep. I rarely am able to stay up while trying to watch a movie in bed.

Yeah Manhunt, both of them were good, this one and the one about the Unibomber

Green Street Hooligans. I used to watch that every Saturday morning with the boys over beers until we were ready to hit the bar.

An absolute great flick.

There is a documentary about Marvin Heemeyer on Netflix.

I think all of us can relate to that guy in one form or another. At least I know that I can :)

dude it's so good, that was nuts
I loved that they had the people he went against on there, too. You could hear their side, but then again, you always know what those kinds of people think.

Marvin was an angry angry man. I was VERY impressed by his build. If he hadn't driven that thing in to the tank or ruptured his coolant hose...he could have just driven it until he ran out of gas.

Just started murder among the mormons.

First episode and I'm fully in

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.