• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Re-Sign WR Brian Quick, Sign P Sam Irwin-Hill

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
March 16, 2018

REDSKINS RE-SIGN WR BRIAN QUICK, SIGN P SAM IRWIN-HILL

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have re-signed wide receiver Brian Quick and signed punter Sam Irwin-Hill. Terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Quick (6-3, 218) originally entered the NFL as a second round pick (No. 33 overall) of the St. Louis Rams in the 2012 NFL Draft. He has appeared in 78 career regular season games with 24 starts, compiling 111 receptions for 1,575 yards with 10 receiving touchdowns.

In his first season with Washington in 2017, Quick played in 11 games with one start. He caught six passes for 76 yards, including a key 31-yard reception to jump-start the team's game-winning drive in Week 9 at Seattle.

Quick played collegiately at Appalachian State, starting 36 of the 54 games in which he appeared for the Mountaineers. He established school career records for receptions (202), receiving yards (3,418) and receiving touchdowns (31).

Quick, 28, attended Ridge View H.S. in Columbia, S.C., where he earned all-state, all-region and all-area honors. He was born June 5, 1989.

Irwin-Hill (6-3, 210) originally entered the NFL as a college free agent with the Dallas Cowboys on April 27, 2017. He was waived by the Cowboys in September after averaging 38.3 yards on 15 punts, including five downed inside the 20, during the 2017 preseason.

Irwin-Hill played his final two collegiate seasons at Arkansas after transferring from City College of San Francisco. As a senior at Arkansas, he played in all 13 games and averaged 40.1 yards on 58 punts and also rushed twice for 74 yards including a 51-yard touchdown run.

Irwin-Hill, 27, is a native of Bendigo, Australia, and played Australian Rules Football at Catholic College of Bendigo. He was born Oct. 10, 1990.

-REDSKINS-

Are they starting to doubt Tress or just some camp fodder?

Are they starting to doubt Tress or just some camp fodder?

That move puzzled me. I mean, it's not unusual to bring in competition, but seems like it's usually guys off the street, not FA signings. Way has been pretty great so not sure I get it?

Yeah, I was trying to figure that one out too. This guys stats aren't good, so I'm not sure what is going on. Maybe another injury we don't know about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Aussie was brought in to do some punting duties in camps and preseason games. It gives Tress the opportunity to not be overworked in the preseason. That was a problem last year and it had an affect on him down the stretch.

Since we resigned Brian Quick for 2018 would it be too much to task of Jay to at least TRY and get this guy involved in the offense? :laugh:

With Pryor ineffective and then hurt and Crowder having a down year I couldn't understand why Gruden didn't give Quick a legitimate chance to play.

I don't call 3 or 4 plays a game as being a legitimate chance.

Amen BD. Am I the only one who feels like they don't even know what kind of players we really have in Quick, Harris, and Sprinkle? Why? Because they almost never get a sniff of an opportunity.

That's why I was not sad to see Ryan Grant and Niles Paul depart via free agency.

To me these guys had reached their ceilings and were perhaps holding other younger players back.

But we would never know for sure until we cut them loose.

Amen BD. Am I the only one who feels like they don't even know what kind of players we really have in Quick, Harris, and Sprinkle? Why? Because they almost never get a sniff of an opportunity.

All numbers per pro-football reference:

For Quick on the season/ 6 catches on 8 Targets/ 5 1st downs. Only 1 of those 8 targets in the 1st half. Against Seattle (no Crowder) - 3 catches on 3 targets/2 1st downs and the other was 12 yards on a 2nd & 15.
For Harris on the year/ 4 catches on 6 targets/ 3 1st downs & 1 TD.
And Sprinkle in 2017/ 2 catches on 3 targets/ 1 1st down & 1 TD.

Totaled: 12 catches on 17 targets (70%)/ 9 1st downs & 2 TDs. Not as a comparison, which really wouldn't be fair, but just to illustrate what these guys did. 'What if' Crowder had those averages - 72 catches (he had 66)/ 54 1st downs (he had 38) & 23 TDs (he had 3). I think those 3 made the most of the few opportunities they had...

Was really surprised that Quick resigned, especially as soon as he did.

There is no upside to Quick. There is a reason he signed for about 1.0 million. He is a primarily used as a blocker. Consider it luck if he gets more than 200-300 yards a season.

And Ryan Grant had a high ceiling? :)

The guy was only 5'11-6'0 and had 4.65 speed. Yet he was on the field getting every chance last year.

Quick can do more than block. If the Redskins with Smith can now run some traditional WCO routes like slants and crosses Quick will get more opportunities as he has size, strength and decent hands.

And Ryan Grant had a high ceiling? :)

The guy was only 5'11-6'0 and had 4.65 speed. Yet he was on the field getting every chance last year.

Quick can do more than block. If the Redskins with Smith can now run some traditional WCO routes like slants and crosses Quick will get more opportunities as he has size, strength and decent hands.

Size is quicks advantage but he also has a career 50 percent catch rate. Grant has a 59.5 percent catch rate
Quicks best season 564 yards 5th season
Grants best season 573 yards 4th season

I would venture to say Grant has a little more upside than quick but how much is anyone's guess

Grants offer from the Ravens was 4 years at $7M + @ year. He was, at best, their # 3 WR (more like # 4) going into last season. Maybe has more upside but one doesn't pay that much for a number 3 WR.

Quick was a 75% receiver with the Skins last season. I guess you might expect him to drop to 50% but never got the opportunity to fail. Might just happen to depend a bit on whose throwing to him...

Last edited:
Grants offer from the Ravens was 4 years at $7M + @ year. He was, at best, their # 3 WR (more like # 4) going into last season. Maybe has more upside but one doesn't pay that much for a number 3 WR.

Quick was a 75% receiver with the Skins last season. I guess you might expect him to drop to 50% but never got the opportunity to fail. Might just happen to depend a bit on whose throwing to him...

Grant got overpaid by the colts even 1 year up to 5 million. I was expecting around 2.5-3 million a year would probably have been a good number. I dont think we get a supplemental pick for him now

Grant got overpaid by the colts even 1 year up to 5 million. I was expecting around 2.5-3 million a year would probably have been a good number. I dont think we get a supplemental pick for him now

That range you mentioned for Grant is exactly the same I had in mind - $2.5 to $3 million; so we're probably wrong. :biggrin:

A pretty good explanation about Washington's comp picks is here: link: https://247sports.com/nfl/washington-redskins/Bolt/Redskins-not-awarded-any-2018-compensatory-NFL-Draft-picks-115478068

From that article;
After losing both DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon, the Redskins signed Terrelle Pryor and Brian Quick in free agency, thus cancelling out their eligibility for additional draft considerations.

That's pretty ridiculous to me but it is what it is. Considering the information in the article, hard to imagine getting a comp for Grant next year.

The key is to do what the Patriots do.

They sign players cut from other teams but not those that go into the league year as unrestricted free agents.

That way they continue hoarding comp picks each year.

The other trick is to trade for a guy in his last year of his rookie deal. If he works out great. If not let him depart and then get a comp pick when he signs elsewhere.

The Patriots got comp picks by trading with Cleveland for backups like Tim Wright and then let them walk and collected the bonus pick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.