• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Cousins *Official* Farewell

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Farewell Washington - Cousins Says Goodbye

BLOG / 03.12.2018

Farewell, Washington

As I'm about to make one of the bigger decisions of my life, I'll be saying goodbye to my familiar life as a Redskin. After calling Washington home for the past six years, the team has decided to move on to another option and, in turn, my family and I will be moving on as well.

Knowing I will not be putting on a Redskins jersey next season, it's hard to look back at all that's taken place and not become emotional. I will forever be grateful to Mike Shanahan for taking a chance on me in the 2012 draft. At the time, many people saw his selection as foolish. Time proved otherwise and taught me that there are no guarantees in this business -- if you work hard and learn from your mistakes, good things can happen. For the first time in 11 years I will participate in choosing where I play. Having said this, I would not trade the past decade for anything.

I am filled with gratitude over the unwavering support and devotion from you, the fans, both on and off the field. I'll never forget how you stormed Redskins Park at 3 a.m. to welcome us home from Philadelphia after clinching the NFC East in 2015. I've never been so happy to have my car mobbed. You made “You Like That!” a catchphrase and your boundless generosity helped us raise tens of thousands of dollars for International Justice Mission to protect victims of violence all over the world -- No words will express the depth of my gratitude, but “thank you” will have to do for now.

Though we are ultimately measured on a win-loss record, my fondest memories will be the little achievements and struggles that got us there…the everyday memories that made the job fun. I'll miss Trent Williams' clever one-liners at a teammate's poor fashion choices (mostly mine) ... breakfast with Scherff and Sundberg …Tress Way's trivia games … Ryan Kerrigan's consistency … Jordan Reed's horrible ping pong (but amazing routes) … Chatting with Jamison Crowder & Josh Doctson in the cold tub …“Dunkin' Fridays” with Colt McCoy… and on and on.

Just like you never fully leave your hometown -- you never fully leave your first NFL team, especially after six seasons. My family and I will always have a piece of Washington deep in our hearts. I arrived as a single, 23-year-old from the Midwest -- with a lot to learn and prove. I now leave as a husband of four years to my wife, Julie, and a father to my son, Cooper -- but still with lots to learn and prove.

There is no way I would be where I am today without the leadership of the Redskins organization … Coach Gruden, Bruce Allen, Dan Snyder. Thank you all for the opportunity you gave me. When Cooper someday asks: “Hey Dad, what was it like playing for the Redskins?” I'll proudly tell him it was a dream come true.

Thanks for having me, Washington, and thanks for making me into the player I am today!

This should be good. :)

Good statement by Cousins. He kept it short and simple and didn't take any shots on his way out. I'm sure he could have, but he didn't. And I'm sure some will want to parse every word to make it sound worse. But this is the closing of that chapter of Redskins history. The team is moving on. Cousins is moving on. As fans, we should too.

Now, here's to Cousins being the next Matt Flynn or Brock Osweiler. Not because I want to see him fail, but because he's not the Redskins QB. He can do his thing elsewhere and that team and fans can worry about him. As fans, we have another QB that we are behind and Smith is the one we want to succeed above ALL other QBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good statement by Cousins. He kept it short and simple and didn't take any shots on his way out. I'm sure he could have, but he didn't. And I'm sure some will want to parse every word to make it sound worse. But this is the closing of that chapter of Redskins history. The team is moving on. Cousins is moving on. As fans, we should too.

Now, here's to Cousins being the next Matt Flynn or Brock Osweiler. Not because I want to see him fail, but because he's not the Redskins QB. He can do his thing elsewhere and that team and fans can worry about him. As fans, we have another QB that we are behind and Smith is the one we want to succeed above ALL other QBs.

Nice post brother :cheers:

One thing's for sure... at least one show on 106.7 will be all-Cousin, all the time while this is ongoing. Wait a sec... it already is.

I stopped reading when he suggested the team was ready to move on...umm...your agent refused to discuss any offers made over the past 2 years, how does that equate to the team moving on?

Yep the drama is finally over. To that I say ‘F*** yo couch Kirk'!!!

That article, by Tom Friend (who is a friend of one of our BGO owners btw), is a must read for Redskins fans. It sums up perfectly, what's always been wrong with Kirk Cousins, and why he's not a part of our future going forward.

@Om - you've got to read this one.

Kirk was about Kirk more than he was about the Redskins – it was difficult not to feel that. My enduring memory of Cousins is not from any of his 99 touchdown passes or 16,206 yards. It's the game his rookie year against, of all teams, the Vikings. Kirk didn't play that day. It was Robert Griffin III's team back then. The Redskins led 31-26 with 2:56 left in the game, facing a third-and-6 at their own 24. If the Vikings managed to get a stop, they'd get the ball back with chance to put a dagger in the Redskins' season.

You know the magic that happened next. Griffin faded back, saw an opening and sprinted – Olympic speed – toward the end zone for a 76-yard touchdown. But go to YouTube and watch it again. As Griffin is heading to the end zone….with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan raising his arms heavenward…with FedEx Field rivaling the Linc in terms of noise…with an entire Redskins Nation doing figurative backflips….Cousins is standing alone at about the 30-yard line with his hands behind his back. He doesn't flinch, doesn't cheer, doesn't wave him in. He's emotionless. That, to me, will always be the real Kirk. Yes, he was young and relatively new in town, but it struck me as odd, selfish – that 75,000 Redskins faithful were on Cloud 9…except one.

I posted a similar reaction back then to this still picture if that play. As a matter of fact, here's how I photoshopped it that week. I had forgotten until just now that I'd titled the pic “kirk_be_like_whatever.”

aa7bd7c3826e87bec50547ea48acf4f8.jpg

Like most Skins fans, I rode the rollercoaster on Cousins weekly—some games he truly looked the like franchise quarterback we've waited on for a lifetime; while other weeks, more so than the former kind, he looked exactly like the guy Friend describes in the first sentence.

He's Kirk Cousins being followed by a camera crew. Not A-A-ron Rod-gers. Not Tom Brady. Not Drew Brees. Not Ben Rapelisburger. Not even Matt Stafford or Andy Dalton.

Kirk Cousins.

The funny thing is Grant & Danny talk about how they're not on the hook for Cousins, in his pocket or anything like that, but they had that circle jerk broadcast for someone who (for some bizarre reason) gets more time than a man playing in DC right now who may be the best pure goal scorer in NHL history. It was embarrassing. I'd lay odds if you turned on their show at any given time, there's a chance in your favor they'd be talking about Cousins, how the 'Skins screwed him, how they're trashing him out-of-town. etcetera and so on.

They leave out context entirely. When Cousins' agent made an offer to the 'Skins, he was coming off an absolutely horrid season and the 'Skins had just gotten lambasted for picking up the fifth-year option in RGIII's contract. An option, by the way, that the 'Skins wound up paying a grand total of $0. The last year in the Shanahan Offense and the first year in the Gruden Offense were absolutely turrible for Cousins, but his agent was asking for something like $19m a year. Of course the 'Skins were gonna' say "You're kidding, right?"

He's going to go to Minny. They'll take a step back from last year and people will realize not necessarily that Cousins is the problem, but that he has peaked and hit his ceiling. This "late bloomer" stuff is over.

Nick

Last edited:
3 yrs. 28mil/yr guaranteed. He's not feeling too bad about leaving. :)

3 yrs. 28mil/yr guaranteed. He's not feeling too bad about leaving. :)

Have to admit I haven't had a chance to look into this deeply....

But Bronc's signed Keenum.... Jet's took McCown and Bridgewater.... Browns took Tyrod Taylor....

If that was the timeline then who exactly were the Vikings bidding against when they decided to sign Kirk to that kind of GUARANTEED contract?
It kinda looks like the Vikings got fleeced!

I guess that the Jets and the Browns could be viewed as having brought in 'backups' and it looks like the Jets are going to draft a QB. But did the Vikings get played?

Discuss!

Have to admit I haven't had a chance to look into this deeply....

But Bronc's signed Keenum.... Jet's took McCown and Bridgewater.... Browns took Tyrod Taylor....

If that was the timeline then who exactly were the Vikings bidding against when they decided to sign Kirk to that kind of GUARANTEED contract?
It kinda looks like the Vikings got fleeced!

I guess that the Jets and the Browns could be viewed as having brought in 'backups' and it looks like the Jets are going to draft a QB. But did the Vikings get played?

Discuss!

There's guaranteed money and 100% guaranteed money. I suspect that most, if not all, of that is fully (100%) guaranteed as that is what Kirk was wanting. I guess if you get at least one Lombardi out of those 3 years it's a good deal, right? On the other hand, if for some reason, Cousins doesn't do well or gets a severe injury then the Vike's are on the hook for that fully guaranteed money. So I think it's way too early to say whether or not the Vikes got played. But, I don't believe it's the type of deal the Skins should've made - they're nowhere near the contenders that Minny is at the moment.

The Vikings picked up Siemain for a backup and maybe the biggest knock on him is his interceptions. But, that was also an issue with Kirk early on. So, if he learns some carrying a clipboard over 3 years they might have an option down the road (and/or draft picks) on what to do then.

As far as who they were bidding against - well those deals with other players/teams aren't official until Thursday - they could back out and take Cousins instead. Not sayin' they should, only that they could...

On the guaranteed thing....I think I read....or maybe heard....that this whole hub-ub is a little to do about nothing. I believe the gist of what I heard was that it's common to have 3 years guaranteed, but then the club has options for the next x(e.g. 3) years. In Cousins case, he got the guaranteed part and they left out the options. So about the only thing he really negotiated was that after 3 years, he's a free agent. It has nothing to do with the guarantees.

Happy to be educated by those that are more in the know.

I think for me it was more the fact that that kind of money was on the table when Cousins suitors were drying up left right and centre.

I assume the offer was made early and his agent told other teams that he was Vikings bound which is why there was a flurry of activity with the Jets, Browns, and Bronc's all going in a different direction.

If NYJ, Denver and others really wanted him, though, he would have had a bidding war.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.