• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Cousins *Official* Farewell

I'm trying to decide which subject I'm looking less forward to seeing my timelines cluttered with- Kirk Cousins or peoples NCAA brackets. Just shoot me in the head now.

On the guaranteed thing....I think I read....or maybe heard....that this whole hub-ub is a little to do about nothing. I believe the gist of what I heard was that it's common to have 3 years guaranteed, but then the club has options for the next x(e.g. 3) years. In Cousins case, he got the guaranteed part and they left out the options. So about the only thing he really negotiated was that after 3 years, he's a free agent. It has nothing to do with the guarantees.

Happy to be educated by those that are more in the know.

Yep, he'll be a FA after 3 years although the Vikes & Cousins could negotiate within those 3 years for an extension.

As far the guarantees go - there's 100% guaranteed and 'other' guarantees. Those other guarantees are conditional, typically based on whether or not he's still with the team by a certain date, although there are others. Kirk has $84M fully (100%) guaranteed (called guaranteed at signing) meaning that's what he gets no matter what happens over the next 3 years.

Pretty hard (for me anyway) to explain this but maybe a real life example might help. Per Spotrac on Jordan Reed - link: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/jordan-reed-12366/
Jordan Reed received $22M in guarantees in his 5 year deal.

Guaranteed @ signing $9M signing bonus + 2016 salary (1.25M) + 2017 salary (3.75M) which equals $14M. But his guarantees were $22M. So where did that other $8M go?
$8M of his 2018 salary becomes fully guaranteed on 18 Mar 2018. So if he's traded/cut prior to the 18th, Washington won't pay that $8M even though it's called 'guaranteed'. If he's still on the roster by the 18th that $8M becomes fully guaranteed (he gets all of it no matter what). However, if that $8M was fully guaranteed he would get $8M even if traded/cut prior to the 18th.

Cap space gained if he was cut/traded prior to the 18th is a whole other scenario but let's see if I've thoroughly confused people first...

Ditto. I said goodbye to Cousins in the offseason after 2016 when it was apparent he was preparing to leave when he had the first opportunity.

McCartney better watch out - he's going to find out that contract negotiations are a two way street or you may find yourself and your clients getting blackballed by NFL owners. He's already been responsible for giving the first fully guaranteed contract - which isn't going to endear him in any way to them. And who the hell does he think he is, instructing NFL teams they each get one chance to make an offer? Pretty big balls on the guy. I guess he's the perfect agent for Mr. Sensitive.

The Broncos and John Elway probably said '**** you' upon being instructed on 'the rules' of the negotiation. Because they're smart.

One good thing he did do while running his face was shoot down the notion that the FO bungled things in 2015. He basically said a fully guaranteed contract, on the free agent market, was his only goal, then and now.

Never a chance in hell of getting a LTD with Greedy Lying Bastard.

Couple of thoughts-

I don't blame the qb, the agent, or God for the fully guaranteed contract. I blame the team or teams that offered it.

Due to timing, and timing alone, the qb and his agent may be the luckiest sob's in the history of the sport. Imagine being a slightly better than average employee and getting CEO money.

I really dislike Philly but I hope they spank Kurt and the Vikings on opening night. With Foles under center.

Last edited:
One good thing he did do while running his face was shoot down the notion that the FO bungled things in 2015. He basically said a fully guaranteed contract, on the free agent market, was his only goal, then and now.

Never a chance in hell of getting a LTD with Greedy Lying Bastard.

Looking back now it's plain to see that the qb played the ultimate politicians game: tell everyone what they want to hear with no intention of ever living up to it. Thankfully the organization and a bevy of fans saw right through it.

I can't go so far as to root for the Eagles. But I, and every owner in the NFL not possessing the Vikings, hopes Cousins gets clobbered into WasteofMoneyville.

The Vikes were a game short of the SB. They didn't lose the championship game because of Keenum, either. Their vaunted defense failed them.

Anything less than a SB appearance, this season, will be seen as a failure. I'm hoping they don't even make the playoffs.

KC has stayed pretty healthy while a skin, dude may or may not be due

Well I certainly don't wish injury on him. Just lots of turnovers, losses, and boo's.

McCartney better watch out - he's going to find out that contract negotiations are a two way street or you may find yourself and your clients getting blackballed by NFL owners. He's already been responsible for giving the first fully guaranteed contract - which isn't going to endear him in any way to them. And who the hell does he think he is, instructing NFL teams they each get one chance to make an offer? Pretty big balls on the guy. I guess he's the perfect agent for Mr. Sensitive.

The Broncos and John Elway probably said '**** you' upon being instructed on 'the rules' of the negotiation. Because they're smart.

Timing is everything. The stars will have to align for him to pull this off again.

Well I certainly don't wish injury on him. Just lots of turnovers, losses, and boo's.

Oh I wouldn't be upset at a week or 2 of turf toe. Not wishing for injury though, don't need that bitch karma visiting our guys.

Shame he didn't have a formal send-off. I would gladly have attended to see him step on that plane and leave town.

3-4 years of Peyton Place was becoming too much for me.

Snyder can be a jerk as we all know but Cousins is a three dollar bill.

Everything that comes out of his mouth is pure politics.

He should run for office in Minnesota when his playing career is over.

Oh, wait. He only has a 3 year contract, so if he is productive, he will be holding the Vikings up for more money in 2021.

Stay tuned for the second saga.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.