• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins to Honor 1987 'Replacement Players' with Super Bowl Rings

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release

March 7, 2018

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that the organization will honor replacement players from the team's 1987 squad with Super Bowl rings. An exact date for the celebration of their contributions will be announced at a later time.

The contributions of the replacement players were recently highlighted in the documentary Year of the Scab, produced by TEN100 in association with Leftfield Pictures (an ITV America company). The film, directed by John Dorsey, premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival in the spring of 2017 and aired as part of ESPN's “30 for 30” series in September.

To properly honor the players for their role in the team's 1987 championship season, the Redskins have worked closely with the documentary's director, Dorsey, and a number of key partners throughout the last several months to make the rings a reality. Baron Rings will furnish each of the players' rings, while diamonds will be provided by Uptown Diamond.

“The 3-0 record of the Redskins replacement players was part of the remarkable success of the 1987 Washington Redskins,” Owner Dan Snyder said. “Their contributions are part of Redskins history and represent an integral reason why a Lombardi Trophy from the 1987 campaign resides in our facility today. Thanks in part to the generosity of our partners on this project, we are happy to honor these players for their role in that World Championship.”

On Tuesday, the Virginia General Assembly officially commended the replacement members of the 1987 team with House Joint Resolution No. 151, expressing “the General Assembly's admiration for their determination, hard work, and incredible achievements.” Quarterback Tony Robinson and defensive lineman Anthony Sagnella represented the replacement players during the passing of the resolution in Richmond on Tuesday.

In Washington's first game with replacement players, the Redskins defeated the St. Louis Cardinals, 28-21, as wide receiver Anthony Allen finished the day with seven catches and a single-game franchise record 225 yards. The next week, the Redskins defeated the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants, 38-12. Despite the strike ending four days later on Oct. 15, 1987, the Redskins' replacement players played and defeated the Dallas Cowboys, 13-7, in a Monday Night Football matchup despite the return of multiple starters for Dallas.

The three victories earned by the replacement players helped propel the Redskins to an 11-4 regular season record and an NFC East title. The Redskins would go on to defeat the Denver Broncos, 42-10, in Super Bowl XXII to earn the team's second Super Bowl title and fourth World Championship.

-REDSKINS-

Long overdue. I know it doesn't sit well with many players. But they'll get over it.

I rooted for and cheered the replacement guys as much as any team we've fielded over the years.

Ditto Ax. I went to the home games (one with a Maryland State Cop, who belonged to a union). I went not only to support the team itself, but also the coaches, who I felt were stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place.

And whether they believed in the strike or not, I loved the fact that Gibbs told the striking players that "you come back as a team or stay out as a team".. this the week before traveling to Dallas to play a team that had several starters return to the line up.

About damn time.

Good on Dan for making this a reality.

About damn time.

Good on Dan for making this a reality.

While I want to muster the ability to congratulate Snyder on a job well done, I have to wonder if anything would ever have been done had these players not been the focus of a recent 30 for 3o episode, Year of the Scab.

Then again, I think Snyder is a piece of **** and will never get it, always coming in late on issues he should be leading out.

The way the league set up play in 1987 due to the strike games, if the Redskins' replacements didn't go 3-0 during that period when the regulars were out the simple fact is Washington likely would not have won the Super Bowl that year.

Washington was 8-4 in its regular season games but 11-4 when the strike games were added in.

Imagine the team at 8-7 if we had gone 0-3 or had been as disappointing as Dallas where regulars crossed the line and still lost those games.

Now with the passage of time and pride giving way to perspective, a number of the 1987 regular Skins now agree those replacement players played an important part in Washington's season success.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.