• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Should Avoid Making a 3rd Cousins Mistake

..We aren't England, we're the 13 colonies - if you get my drift.

Don't tread on me and all :)

heheheh. I've taken a few trips "across the pond" and whew. You done good brother!! :)

Earlier this year I thought Kirk would sign a Ltd that would be something along the lines of what Alex Smith signed. Then I read about him wanting to change the dynamic of how quarterbacks are signed to get a fully guaranteed deal. Well, that certainly would explain the two franchise tags - a way to get that guarantee that keeps both parties satisfied.

If that is what he is still looking for he probably will not be a very highly prized commodity...time will tell.

Snyder, Allen.......................just let Cousins go and move on and try to build a contender with the players and picks you have :)

Skip the tag BS and dancing with Cousins' agent and attorneys over a grievance.

cousins was not the superior qb when they were both drafted if Griffin hadnt been injured, I have no doubt he would have been a very solid qb for at least a few years. btw i odnt think excersizing the option should be seen as a mistake, its the hindsight that shows it was. at the time Griffin was a great young talent that we paid through the nose for

I beg to differ my friend. Superior is a highly subjective word in this case. Griffin played in an "all-go" spread offense at Baylor, and he didn't need to worry about learning to read defenses because, err, the Big-12 doesn't believe in them. Cousins, OTOH, played in a pro-style offense, granted one that was vastly run-centric, and was somewhat tested in the fire of the competitive toughness of the Big Ten, where seemingly every week was a big rivalry game, with opponents who would make you earn every yard and point scored. The numbers weren't flashy like RG3's, and Cousins was an order of magnitude lower on the raw athleticism scale, but in every area that matters for success at the NFL level - i.e., between the ears - he was better than the Heisman winner, and I think he knew it from the start. RG3 would not have kept him on the bench whether he suffered a major injury or not. Subtract that incident and the recovery time from all of this and I think the whole transition would have been a hell of a lot messier, more bitter, and ultimately devastating to the team rebuild.

You'll recall that we were then in year 23 or so of our process, which we all know is one of the most critical of all...so the drama of a QB controversy at that time could've ruined everything we had achieved in the two decades of our return to greatness. We should all count ourselves fortunate that the team stayed the course as they jettisoned the one and anointed the other. Because the Skins didn't miss a step through all that we are presently no more than, lessee, uh, carry the two...7 or 8 years from a complete overhaul. Mission rebuild accomplished.

(turns away and resumes vacant, thousand yard stare)

That's hilarious Dude. I had to get a cloth to wipe the dripping sarcasm off my iPhone screen! He'll, I'm just encouraged we had ‘a process' - who knew! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my point was that cousins was simply not the superior qb when they were drafted, that resigning griffin was not a mistake at the time, we had paid a ridiculous price for him (I was seriously pissed off) but we had paid it and had we let him go we would have been pissed at the wasted picks. RG would have kept Kirk on the bench because Kirk did nothing to displace him

RG would have kept Kirk on the bench because Kirk did nothing to displace him

Umm, RG did come back and play you know? He did nothing on the field to warrant being a starter, here or later in Cleveland.

Now he's without a team/career. Maybe it's time to stop blaming it all on his knee?

Well - in a way, the knee injury WAS the precipitating factor in Griffin's decline. Not because it made him totally ineffective as a runner (by 2014 he had returned to still being a very dangerous rushing QB), but because they changed the offense.

In the last 1/4 of the 2012 season, we had gone to using a version of the read option most of the time. The myth out there is that 'teams figured it out'. I don't really buy that - as that was the beauty of it, you couldn't figure it out - the entire premise of the offense was that if you brought LBs/DBs up to stop the QB run, you left WRs/TEs uncovered. If you didn't, well, Griffin would burn you.

It wasn't that teams figured out how to stop it or that Griffin couldn't do it anymore. It was that they clearly made a team decision not to run a predominately read option offense. I don't think we'll ever know what drove that decision, whether it was Griffin's Dad, RG3 himself, the coaches, or the FO trying to protect an asset they gave up the ranch to get. But trying to make Griffin into a traditional passing QB is what destroyed his effectiveness. People want to paint Griffin as an inaccurate passer who couldn't read defenses. I think that's a little unfair because in 2012, as a primarly read option QB, he completed almost 66% of his passes and a ton of TDs. In 2014, he completed almost 69% before he lost his starting status. Simple assessment - when you took the read option threat out of the equation, he just wasn't the same QB, and you couldn't run the read option much without risking a devastating injury.

So - in a way, it really was the injury that blew up Griffin's career.

And it sure was fun while it lasted.

Other than Elephant, who to his credit said Griffin would never last, who among us during that magical 2012 season ever would've believed that the good times were only to last 1 fleeting year. It's really incredible how far and how quickly it all came crashing down. I think a lot of the blame has to fall on the Shanahans, who should've been able to make it all work.

Other than Elephant, who to his credit said Griffin would never last, who among us during that magical 2012 season ever would've believed that the good times were only to last 1 fleeting year. It's really incredible how far and how quickly it all came crashing down. I think a lot of the blame has to fall on the Shanahans, who should've been able to make it all work.

Hey now...you know all true Skins fans spent most that year pinching themselves and waiting for the other shoe to drop, right? We, as a group, are nearly as snake bit and pessimistic as Jets fans are now. And with almost as much reason. :)

And in fairness, if you are going to throw blame around, RGIII carries a good bit of it. He never learned how to protect himself in the NFL. Instead believing he could deal with the punishment that defenses were looking to dish our against week in and week out. Every defense we played his rookie year was salivating at the thought of hitting him like they never got to hit other QBs who had learned to slide and to throw the ball away.

No argument on any of that brother :cheers:

And two things about Griffin we ALL were dead wrong about - he was never a respected locker room leader, nor was he above average 'between the ears'.

God the 2012 season seems so long ago now. I was so convinced at that time that we were on the verge or terrorizing the league with RGIII year in year out.

I agree with your comments on the Read Option, it's the definition of unpredictable, but I do think teams adjusted and found ways to minimise the damage and to play D on QB's like RGIII. It seemed there was a brief moment in time when QB's with wheels were in vogue (RGIII, Kapernick, Wilson, Cam Newton, Tim Tebow...), but in order to truly succeed when the League kind of caught on to that you really needed to have something more between the ears to offer a threat when the run disappeared, and that was where RGIII came up short, as I think did Kapernick and Tebow. Each of them was deficient in the game in one aspect which led them to be ineffective when the run was taken off the table.

Football has always seemed to me to be a kind of arms race of clever coaches. One coach will find a trick that will stymie defenses and the league follow suit. Then some clever Defense will figure a way to defend it and the league follows suit on that... the NFL circle.

I felt that when the league started to find more effective ways of perhaps limiting the Read Option the Shannahans never counterpunched. Maybe they tried but RGIII wasn't the right man for the job, who knows.

I find myself unable to hate on RGIII much because of 2012. It was one of the most exciting seasons in recent Redskin history, something we have been woefully short of of late. For a brief period of time he truly electrified the fan base. So I still wear his shirt from time to time with a measure of pride. LOL

I never bought a Cousins jersey though, I think that's telling about my feelings towards him. :)

RGIII, Kaepernick and Tebow all lacked the actual pro-level acumen to run a pro-style Offense, which is why all of them are out of work at the NFL level. That's where the athleticism stops and the brains have to start because everyone at this level is athletic, even a 300lb DT.

As limited as he was, Tebow still has more playoff wins than Kirk Cousins, which included a game-winning TD pass... ;)

Nick

RGIII, Kaepernick and Tebow all lacked the actual pro-level acumen to run a pro-style Offense, which is why all of them are out of work at the NFL level. That's where the athleticism stops and the brains have to start because everyone at this level is athletic, even a 300lb DT.

As limited as he was, Tebow still has more playoff wins than Kirk Cousins, which included a game-winning TD pass... ;)

Nick

Yeah that was my point. They could trade off the simple stuff and their athletic talent for a while, but the league ALWAYS adjusts and if you want to be successful you have to adjust with it. That's on the coaches as much as the players.

RGIII didn't have the ability to change it up, but I also agree with Boone that I don't think ShanaClan helped much either.

Yes, that 2012 season does seem like a long time ago now. It was fun in that season, though! Too bad it all went kablooey.

Anyways, looks like PFT is hinting at the Vikings tampering w/ the Kirk situation. Would LOVE for something to play out, and the other teams get penalized, with us getting draft picks or something. Would be a long ways away, though.
http://www.12up.com/posts/5981233-r...mpering-rules-around-kirk-cousins?a_aid=41091

That's hilarious Dude. I had to get a cloth to wipe the dripping sarcasm off my iPhone screen! He'll, I'm just encouraged we had ‘a process' - who knew! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, you could've knocked me over with a feather when I found out there was a p word. It's certainly well disguised.

I still maintain that the biggest mistake the Redskins made in re Griffin was in the compensation the club gave up.

In the era of the salary cap first and second round draft choices are cheap producers for 3-4 years and that really helps you remain competitive and able to bring in free agents to fill holes.

You simply can't give up that many picks and hope to remain competitive under the cap.

You don't see New England, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Denver, Seattle or any of the clubs that have won a recent Super Bowl make moves like that.

They value the high picks and while you may see a New England trade a high pick once in awhile, a la Brandin Cooks, they were getting a WR that had a proven track record in the NFL and was only 25 years old.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.