• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Alex Smith Speaks - 'I'm jacked, I'm really excited!'

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
sownewsletter.png

Alex Smith was interviewed on KNBR 680 in KC on Thursday. Here's some word on what he had to say about his recent trade to the Redskins.

https://247sports.com/nfl/washingto...ked-at-opportunity-to-join-Redskins-114918441

Alex Smith is the Washington Redskins newest starting quarterback, and he's already looking forward to the experience.

The 33-year-old was back home in San Francisco on Thursday, and made an appearance on KNBR 680 to talk all things offseason, including the trade that saw him swap the AFC West for the NFC East. After the Chiefs made it clear that they viewed Patrick Mahomes III as the future of the franchise, it's needless to say that Smith was ready to jump at the opportunity of becoming the Redskins' starting quarterback.

"I'm jacked. I'm really excited," Smith said. "Once I found out that things in Kansas City were going in a different direction, I was pumped at the opportunity and when Washington came calling I was hopeful that was a possible destination and I'm just jacked that it worked out and that they wanted me because the feelings were mutual and I'm looking forward to it."

Smith will enjoy a reunion with former teammate Vernon Davis when he suits up in D.C. next season, as the duo played together with the 49ers for six season after being draft one year apart in 2005 and 2006 respectively. In fact, the 34-year-old tight end was one of the first to reach out when news of the trade first leaked.

"[Davis] was one of the first guys when [the news] broke that hit me up on the phone," Smith said. "I'm excited."

Some have scoffed at the idea of the Redskins signing Smith to a lengthy contract extension. At nearly 34 years old, Smith's four-year, $94 million deal represents a huge commitment to an aging quarterback, but the former no. 1 overall pick believes he still has plenty in the tank. So much so that he's not yet able to see the sunset he'll eventually walk into.

"I feel amazing, I feel great," Smith ensured. "I feel like the last five or six years have flown by. I've had more fun than I've ever had playing the game. The challenge of it, my body feels great, so yeah, I do feel like I can't see the horizon at this point. People keep asking me that and I don't see it in the near future. Obviously things change, but I'm just loving what I'm doing too much and the challenge of it. I still haven't gotten [to the Super Bowl] obviously and you're after that big one, right? You're trying to do whatever you can and figure it out and find the answer."

Exactly what you want to hear.

I liked the deal the minute it happened. Liking it more each day.

I asked the other day if Smith might be reconsidering his Skins deal in light of the Garrapolo mega-deal. Something I didn't realize then that might explain some things, and make that very unlikely.

Guess who Bob LaMonte, mega-agent for Alex Smith and many other huge NFL folks, also represents?

Jay Gruden.
Jon Gruden.

I suspect this had a lot to do with the Smith deal. And the likelihood that this will all work out is high as a result.

Actually I'm wrong there - Smith Is repped by Tom Condon. But LaMonte is agent for the Gruden's as well as Josh McDaniel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually I'm wrong there - Smith Is repped by Tom Condon. But LaMonte is agent for the Gruden's as well as Josh McDaniel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he no longer represent McDaniels...

How incredibly ****ing refreshing.

He's making all the right noises so far, which is making me feel warm and fuzzy about his playing for the Skins.

After all the non-committal verbal sparring of Kirk over the last couple of years this is refreshing to say the least.

I like that he's looking forwards to playing with Vernon again and the more I think about it, the more I'm optimistic he can be really successful here.

Behind our healthy O-line I think he'll make more of Doctson, and Crowder, Reed, Davis and Thompson should flourish.

I was reading today on ESPN that the Cowboys may cut Dez Bryant... and we have a need I think for a Veteran at WR. If that happened do you think the Skins should kick those tyres?
I'd also be intrigued to see how he would work with Pryor to see if last years disaster was simply a Kirk related blip.

But if Smith comes here and plays with the enthusiasm he puts across it bodes well. I was thinking about this and the last time I think we saw a truly fired up Kirk was the 'You like that' game. I do wonder if, despite his protestations, the Franchise tagging was always an issue to his play. Smith doesn't have that worry. We're signing him long term so he's got at least a few years in the starting role, there's no rookie sitting on the bench as yet waiting to take his job (as there was at KC) and he genuinely seems excited.

Surely that's got to bode well!

I think he no longer represent McDaniels...

Correct, he said AMF to McDaniels after he backed out of the Indy deal. Some people think NE urged him to play along and rebuff them at the last second as payback for Deflategate, but that's awfully snakey if true. It's not like they can even offer him a future role as HC when Bellichick retires because that would circumventing the Rooney Rule. Either way, McDaniels has about zero chance of getting another HC gig at this point, unless it's in NE.

I was reading today on ESPN that the Cowboys may cut Dez Bryant... and we have a need I think for a Veteran at WR. If that happened do you think the Skins should kick those tyres?

Oh hell no.

Bryant aged quickly in the NFL. He is a far 'older' 30 than Pierre Garcon is.

He is not worth franchise money, which is the reason Dallas would be looking to move on.

How incredibly ****ing refreshing.

Goes for front office as well.

Locking up a good QB at the cap level they did was a very good move (not sure if intentional, but I'll take it).

If the Broncos cut Emmanuel Sanders I would be in favor of giving him a mid-range deal to come here at age 30.

He had three straight 1,000 yard seasons in Denver but got hurt last year and he missed enough time that it will hurt his price in free agency.

The fact Elway says he is ready to listen to offers for Sanders in a trade when Sanders will count $11M against the Broncos cap in 2018 is amusing :)

Elway should be ready to trade him for a ham sandwich without the 'fixings' :laugh:

I think having Davis will certainly help in the transition with Smith and the Redskins receivers. They haven't played together since 2012 but they did play together for 6 seasons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.