• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Bobby Beathard Selected for Pro Football HOF Induction

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For everything you ever wanted to know about Bobby Beathard's career and selection to the 2018 Pro Football Hall of Fame, click HERE

Washington Redskins Owner Dan Snyder on the selection of Bobby Beathard to the Pro Football Hall of Fame:

"Bobby's illustrious NFL career made him truly deserving of this honor, and the entire Washington Redskins family could not be prouder that the Pro Football Hall of Fame has secured the place in history he so rightly deserves. Bobby was the architect of many of our dearest memories as Redskins fans, and the run of dominance he helped build will always hold a special place in our minds and in our hearts. We cherish his contributions to the Washington Redskins, and we are proud tonight to see that his contributions to the game will be forever immortalized in the Pro Football Hall of Fame."

Washington Redskins President Bruce Allen on the selection of Bobby Beathard to the Pro Football Hall of Fame:

“I am happy for Bobby and the entire Beathard family upon hearing of this richly deserved honor. His legacy has always lived forever in Redskins history, and I am pleased to see that it will live forever in the Pro Football Hall of Fame as well.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's about goddamned time. Nobody was better than Bobby B. as far as hidden talent in the mid to late rounds.

It's amazing that in his career he was a part of four organizations that went to or won Super Bowls in Kansas City, Miami, Washington and San Diego.

Cooke's hire of Beathard from the Miami Dolphins, at the time a model franchise that had won big, should be a window for Snyder as to how to build a winner.

You get the personnel guy FIRST and then he goes out and hires the coach and scouts that help draft the players and sign the free agents.

After Jack Pardee the Redskins could have continued down the road of hiring ex-Redskin players or assistants to come in here, but Beathard reached outside and was willing to take a calculated risk on an AFC assistant coach in Joe Gibbs.

Congrats to Bethard. It is an honor that is well deserved.

By the way, what is he doing now? Does he want a job as a GM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably the Beathard in the family who's currently most likely to get an NFL job either as a coach or FO position would be Bobby's son Kurt, who is offensive coordinator for Illinois State.

Of course, as we've witnessed to our dismay with the Bruce, progeny does not guarantee success. Wade Phillips, Kyle Shanahan, are the exceptions rather than the rule regarding successful coaches with successful coaching fathers. Even the immortal JG's sons opted out of the NFL landscape by getting into NASCAR - proving how smart everybody in that family really is lol.

Interesting view from BB's induction to the Ring of Fame in 2016.
Sorry, it's not Burgundy Burner, but the other famous BB.
HA : at 7:15 "You need to be in the Hall of Fame"...."Oh, I never think about it. I don't care"

Last edited:
Dude was a wizard. Who woulda thunk an ex-surfer could've been so freaking in the know about what it takes to put together a successful team.

EDIT: I say 'ex' which is a misnomer. Cuz anybody who's been there knows once you've been in a lineup, you were always there, and always will be. Hail.

Who woulda thunk an ex-surfer could've been so freaking in the know about what it takes to put together a successful team.

Don't know, but after he left the Skins, I betcha we started puttin scouts out on the beaches of Southern Cal, hidin in camouflage in the sea-oats-grass of the sand with binoculars, scannin for the next great surfer/GM...duuude.

Happy for Beathard. And while he absolutely gets all the credit for hiring Gibbs, I think Gibbs made many of Beathard's picks work out, that would have flopped anywhere else.

But I'd have been much happier if Jacoby would have made it in too. Or instead.

Anything that shines more light onto the Redskins of that era is welcomed.

Those 80s/early 90s teams are the most disrespected/undervalued champions of the Superbowl era.

Joe Gibbs made great hay with his quarterbacks Theismann, Schroeder, Williams, Rypien, etc but Beathard's #1 picks in 3 of his first 4 seasons were:

1980 - Art Monk
1981 - Mark May
1983 - Darrell Green

That's two Hall of Famers and a two-time pro bowler that played 12 years in the NFL as a starting OL.

Not bad at all :D

Anything that shines more light onto the Redskins of that era is welcomed.

Those 80s/early 90s teams are the most disrespected/undervalued champions of the Superbowl era.

I hear that a lot from Redskins fans but the stars of that era are mostly all in the HOF. I think there's a ton of respect for the Gibbs era.

I hear that a lot from Redskins fans but the stars of that era are mostly all in the HOF. I think there's a ton of respect for the Gibbs era.

Only in the local market.

Whenever talked about on National TV or Radio, those teams,players and coaches are rarely,if ever mentioned.

Only in the local market.

Whenever talked about on National TV or Radio, those teams,players and coaches are rarely,if ever mentioned.

Gibbs was a low key, unassuming, and humble coach. Contrasted to guys like Belichick, Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, etc... it's just the nature of media that he's going to get less hype and attention. He won with 3 largely boring QBs none of whom were true franchise QBs (you could argue Theismann was - but even he wasn't a prototypical QB star like an Elway, Marino, or Favre). Riggins and Green were really the only outspoken media darlings on those teams. The media loves brash, controversial, egotistical... I don't know that this equates to who's respected or not though. The HOF is the ultimate test of respect - and we are pretty well represented there imho.

People are going to squawk about Jacoby. But it's tough to make the HOF as a lineman. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it. But I am also not surprised that he's been passed over a few times.

I mentioned this on Twitter - I think one of the problems the HOF has is limiting inductees to 5/year. Why limit it? Some years there may be more worthy nominees than others... It creates unnecessary controversy.

Boone, with all due respect, it HASN'T been easy for the Gibbs' Redskins to get into the HOF with the exception of John Riggins.

Darrell Green had a lof of support as well but it ended there.

There were protracted efforts to get Russ Grimm and Art Monk into the HOF, which included having top former players like Randy White and LT having to speak up for them. Both were passed over MANY times.

The media idiots like Peter King and some of these other guys like him made very subjective negative judgments about Washington players all being part 'of a system', etc. and merely being 'solid' consistent performers, etc. but not stars.

It's not surprising that Jacoby, who keeps a low media profile and didn't go into pro coaching as Russ Grimm did, is probably going to have to wait for the Veteran's Committee to get into the HOF.

My point is that this isn't unique to the Redskins. We have multiple players/coaches from that era in the HOF. Every fanbase screams bloody murder when their nominees don't make it.

Sorry - but I think we're pretty well-represented. Doesn't mean I don't think other Skins are deserving. But I don't think the idea that the Redskins have specifically been disrespected holds much water. We can agree to disagree.

...The media idiots like Peter King and some of these other guys like him made very subjective negative judgments about Washington players all being part 'of a system', etc. and merely being 'solid' consistent performers, etc. but not stars...

Don't forget Paul Zimmerman, aka Dr. Z. He waged virtually a one man campaign against Monk that was far too successful for far too long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.