• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

The Dline is looking to have a monstrous season - if they can all stay healthy. The group is quite young, very talented, and has plenty of depth. Just think where we were two seasons ago at this time. The commitment to the line of late has been great and sorely needed. Excited to see what they will do this year.

The Dline is looking to have a monstrous season - if they can all stay healthy. The group is quite young, very talented, and has plenty of depth. Just think where we were two seasons ago at this time. The commitment to the line of late has been great and sorely needed. Excited to see what they will do this year.

Agree, and I think a lot of it also depends on how quickly Settle develops and how much he can contribute this year.
Payne is NFL-ready but there seems to be questions on whether Settle is.
But with or without an effective Settle in 2018, the additional presence of Payne alone, along with a healthy Allen and Ion, is sure to make a significant difference.

How about this for a defensive slogan ?
Opposing offenses will have to SETTLE FOR PAYNE.

Last edited:
Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings to all. Summer is continuing to bring the heat and training camp is less than three weeks away. Today we will evaluate players who could take a significant step forward this coming season and other players who could surprise us in 2018.

These evaluations are highly subjective, but we will attempt to look into the future and see if these players can take the next step and have an impactful 2018 for the Redskins. Who will shine in 2018? Who will be playing for a new contract? Will there be any surprises in this group?

Let's get right to it.

Stepping Forward In 2018

Jeremy Sprinkle, TE
Sprinkle is a lock to make the roster as the third tight end in 2018. He will need to take the next steps necessary to ensure his long term success with the Redskins. If another injury limits Jordan Reed, Sprinkle will need to confidently step into the backup role.
BBQ's Outlook: We think Sprinkle will have twenty-five receptions and two touchdowns this season.

Samje Perine, RB
Perine will likely be the primary backup to Derrius Guice. He will feel less pressure to step forward this season and it could actually help his production. Perine will need to be ready if Guice goes down with an injury.
BBQ's Outlook: Look for him to have 350 yards rushing and two touchdowns in 2018.

Josh Doctson, WR
Most fans and pundits realize Doctson essentially played his rookie season in 2017 and not the previous year. However, the time is now for the talented receiver to take the next step and produce. No more excuses.
BBQ's Outlook: Doctson should haul in fifty-five catches and have nine touchdowns.

Chase Roullier, C
Redskins coaches placed a lot of faith in Roullier late into the 2017 season and he did a respectable job. The Redskins have placed even more faith in Roullier's abilities and is now the starter at center. He has a chance to start all sixteen games and prove that he can effectively call out the blocking assignments at the line of scrimmage
BBQ's Outlook: Roullier should have a decent season and cement his status as the starting center.

Ziggy Hood, DE
Hood had to play most of the season at tackle and now he has the opportunity to return to his more natural role – an end. He will be a backup and relied on to provide periodic relief to the starters. He did a good job at tackle, but is much better as an end.
BBQ's Outlook: Hood should end up with thirty tackles, one sack, and two forced fumbles.

Pernell McPhee, OLB
McPhee is almost the forgotten player who has never played a down for the Redskins. With so much focus elsewhere in the off-season it is easy to forget this key free agent signing. He will play the same role that Junior Galette did in 2017. Injury concerns are there, but McPhee will not be a starter or one who takes the majority of snaps.
BBQ's Outlook: As a backup to Preston Smith, McPhee should be able to register twenty-five tackles and two sacks this season.

Stacy McGee, DT
McGee quietly had a good season in 2017 and he needs to continue his steady influence on the defensive line in 2018. He is primarily a run stuffer and that role will be needed in a division that features Jay Ajayi, Saquon Barkley, and Ezekiel Elliott.
BBQ's Outlook: Look for McGee to have twenty-two tackles and be able to help collapse the pocket several times in 2018.

Zach Vigil, ILB
Vigil was nothing more than a camp body at this time last year, but he proved his worth late in the season. He could provide some quality minutes in a backup role for 2018. His tenacity and determination is a definite asset to the linebacker corps.
BBQ's Outlook: Vigil could end up with thirty tackles, one interception, and six pass deflections in 2018.

Fabian Moreau, CB
Don't sleep on Moreau. Kendall Fuller had a lackluster first year and then he had a huge second season. Don't be surprised if Moreau takes similar steps in 2018. Moreau could start on the outside, but he could play the slot as well.
BBQ's Outlook: Moreau could surprise and we are predicting four interceptions, twelve passes deflected, one sack, and twenty-eight tackles.

Josh Harvey-Clemons
Harvey-Clemons could be poised to have a breakout season as the strike safety/hybrid inside linebacker role that Su'a Cravens and Kyshoen Jarrett expected to fill for a decade. In a pass oriented league, those skills are sorely needed and Harvey-Clemons has the skillset to make it happen.
BBQ's Outlook: He could have an enormous breakout season with thirty-five tackles, two interceptions, nine passes deflected, two sacks, one forced fumble, and one fumble recovery.

There is a look at the players who could take significant steps forward this season and players who could surprise us in 2018. Soon, we will take a look at veterans who need to have a good training camp and preseason or risk not making the roster.

See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Redskins draft Virginia Tech CB Adonis Alexander in x 6th round of supplemental draft, per source.</p>— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1017106640468922375?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 11, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Add another to the camp cb battle......

I hear you.

Wonder if they try to make him a hybrid S/LB combo to cover TEs?

Possibly to accomplish what they originally envisioned Craven to do. At worst he's ps fodder

I thought that was the plan with Harvey-Clemons.

Too bad VT couldn't give us a corner with Stroman's speed and Alexander's size, all wrapped up in one player.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Just because folks get caught up in numbers. Here are workout numbers from Adonis Alexander next to Richard Sherman and Josh Norman <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Redskins?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Redskins</a> <a href="https://t.co/PObLPulRMP">pic.twitter.com/PObLPulRMP</a></p>— Paul Conner (@P_ConnerJr) <a href="https://twitter.com/P_ConnerJr/status/1017127033682448385?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 11, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yes, he will likely be a safety. That is the position he played when Gray was the coach at VT. Alexander is a tad too slow to play corner in the NFL.

Let's face it, behind Swearinger and Nicholson we don't have a helluva lot right now in terms of depth. Adding Alexander is a good move a year ahead of time. I would rather make this kind of move than sign a 32 year old safety late in the summer like Golston or Whitner that can't play anymore and is out there on name recognition alone.

The time for that crap is over.

That said, I am not against looking at a veteran at OG. I was not a fan of the interior depth to begin with, but with Kouandjio now out for the season, we look particularly exposed.

Match that with the fact the 31 year old Lauvao was rated by PFF as one of the lowest rated guards when he started games for us and I think we still need to keep our eyes open for a value signing here before the end of the preseason.

Last edited:
Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings to all. Summer is continuing to bring the heat and training camp arrives later next week. Hello to everyone on social media. We extend an invitation to take a look around here and hope you will become a member.

Today we will evaluate those veterans who must take a significant step forward this coming season and we will also see who could be on the roster bubble.

These evaluations are highly subjective, but we will attempt to look into the future and see if any of these players will be cut or if they remain for another season. Who will survive another season? Who will ultimately be cut? Who will be a surprise cut? Will a player or players be traded?

Let's get right to it.

Veteran Evaluations

Robert Kelley, RB
We know that Derrius Guice is a lock to make the roster and the same is true for Chris Thompson. Samaje Perine is likely locked into a roster spot as well. Kelley will need to have a good camp and preseason if he wants to remain a Redskin.
BBQ Prediction: He will make the roster over Kapri Bibbs, but that competition could be very close.

Shawn Lauvao, OG
Lauvao is considered to be the starter at left guard for now, but that could change at any given moment. The Redskins could bring in a veteran off of waivers from another team late in the preseason or a young player currently on the roster could step up and challenge Lauvao.
BBQ Prediction: He is the starter until proven otherwise, but there are no guarantees beyond the final preseason game.

Brian Quick, WR
His position on the roster is very iffy, even though he signed a new contract this off-season. Quick's first season with the Redskins in 2017 was unimpressive and he could be an early casualty during the first roster cuts if his training is lackluster.
BBQ Prediction: Making it to the roster of fifty-three may not happen, especially if younger players step up quickly.

T.J. Clemmings, OT
Remember him? Yeah, we don't remember him either. The only way Clemmings makes the roster would be due to multiple season ending injuries to other tackles in training camp and/or the preseason.
BBQ Prediction: The Latin term for players such as Clemmings is, “campo fodderus”.

Maurice Harris, WR
Harris has flashed at times and has always been a fan favorite for his potential. When did potential need to convert to consistent production? Entering his fourth year, Harris is a longshot to make the roster.
BBQ Prediction: Perhaps he can produce with another team. His time in Washington is coming to an end.

Jordan Reed, TE
Is the injury bug behind him? Can he last the season? No one disputes the talent that is Jordan Reed and he is on this list only because of mounting injuries. He is a roster lock and the hope is that a full and productive season is on deck.
BBQ Prediction: An injury will happen and multiple games will be missed. Injured reserve list is possible.

Phil Taylor, DT
Taylor could be in his final weeks as an NFL player. He hasn't played a down in the league since 2014. He was having a good preseason last year until another injury sidelined him. Hope is fading fast. The Redskins are now loaded on the defensive line and Taylor is the odd man out.
BBQ Prediction: Taylor may have another good preseason and a needy team could offer a conditional late round pick for him.

Stacy McGee, DT
McGee had a decent 2017, but nothing really stood out. Will a numbers game end his Redskins run after only one season? It's possible, but he does need to have a stellar camp and preseason.
BBQ Prediction: This is strictly a numbers game and we think he is clearly on the bubble. A poor camp and/or preseason could doom his chances.

Ziggy Hood, DE
Ziggy (don't you just love this name?) should be a roster lock as a backup defensive end after playing out of place at tackle last season. His steady improvement over the last two seasons ensures his place on the roster.
BBQ Prediction: Moving to the outside will help Hood and the team. He is definitely staying.

Quinton Dunbar, CB
He is not on the bubble and he is certainly on the roster of fifty-three. Dunbar is currently projected to be the starter opposite Josh Norman. The time is now for Dunbar.
BBQ Prediction: After years of hard work and facing enormous odds, Dunbar is hoping to have an impact in 2018. He seems to thrive on it and he could shine this season.

Fabian Moreau, CB
Can he have a breakout year in the same manner as Kendall Fuller did last year? That is the hope. Moreau was dealing with a lingering injury in his first season, but did see some action on the field.
BBQ Prediction: Moreau's spot on the roster is secure. He could have a very good season as the slot corner and could possibly start ahead of Dunbar.

Martrell Spaight, ILB
We'll simply repeat what we said last year.
It's unlikely he will crack the starting lineup – ever. He only makes the roster with his special teams play – which is actually a strength for him.
BBQ Prediction: He really could be in danger of getting cut. Needs to shine on special teams, but it may not be enough.

Ryan Anderson, OLB
Anderson needs to make a major step forward in 2018. He obviously makes the roster based on his 2017 draft status, but it is time for him to take those next steps.
BBQ Prediction: Ryan Anderson has lost some weight in the off-season and plans to have a greater impact. We'll see if there are any improvements in training camp and the preseason.

Deshazor Everett, SS
Adding CB/SS/FS Adonis Alexander in the supplemental draft didn't necessarily put Everett on the chopping block, but it did serve notice to him that more competition is on the way. Everett is a solid special teams player and that certainly works in his favor.
BBQ Prediction: One of the hardest hitters on the team likely stays, but his play at strong safety needs to improve.

Some of these observations could be too optimistic. Some could be too pessimistic. How do you think the Redskins careers of these players will continue to unfold? Which ones have reached the end of their careers? Which ones will the Redskins jettison before the season begins? Which one of these players will stay? Feel free to agree or disagree. Too, feel free to post any of your career evaluations and expectations of these Redskins veterans.

We'll continue our offseason examinations of the roster later this week. We will look at new players who arrived via free agency this off-season and early next week will bring an evaluation of the draftees and UDFAs the Redskins obtained back in April and May. Next week's evals will also be the final look at player evaluations for 2018. Feel free to scroll back to see our previous evaluations over the last couple of months.

Training camp arrives later next week (Thursday). BBQ will have a roster of fifty-three and practice squad prediction posted here on the eve of camp. When training camp arrives we will have daily updates and additional roster predictions just prior to the fourth and final preseason game. We'll also post any free agency updates - if needed.

We're getting closer to football returning!

See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

Perine to me should be no lock. He didn't run away from anyone in 2017 but he didn't run through anyone either.

He ran the ball in a spread set in college and doesn't seem able to have the vision and quick first step to get by early contact.

If a guy like Byron Marshall shows well as a runner and receiver I could see him getting the spot based on his versatility.

Perine to me should be no lock. He didn't run away from anyone in 2017 but he didn't run through anyone either.

He ran the ball in a spread set in college and doesn't seem able to have the vision and quick first step to get by early contact.

If a guy like Byron Marshall shows well as a runner and receiver I could see him getting the spot based on his versatility.

Going into camp I would think it's Guice, Thompson, and Fat Rob in that order. Perine is still a factor. And I wouldn't write off Capri Bibbs based on some flashes he showed late last year.

Yes, he will likely be a safety. That is the position he played when Gray was the coach at VT. Alexander is a tad too slow to play corner in the NFL.

I know you're generally more in-depth than just reading a college scouting report, so I'm assuming you're statement isn't based on flat 40 time. As DP showed, his 40 time is comparable to 2 guys who are viewed as top of the game type players. I don't disagree that he's probably a little better suited to be playing S, but his frame kind of concerns me in that role, I personally would prefer a little more bulk if he's going to be crashing down toward the LOS.

I wouldn't mind seeing him outside to start with. I want to see what he can do. The vast majority of the WRs in the league do not run a sub 4.5 40 anyway. Very rarely are DBs matched up man to man on an island running a straight line trying to keep up with a WR, so most of the time that a flat line speed deficiency (which is still only .10 of a second over 40 yards) would be exposed, there will likely be help over the top. Add to that idea, that most competent QBs get rid of the ball in less than 3 seconds anymore, very rarely are guys just running fly routes. This is where my concern would be regarding Alexander at CB. His 3 cone and 20 yd shuttle aren't very impressive. For comparison sake I looked at him vs Trey Quinn.

AA - 3 cone - 7.18
TQ - 3 cone - 6.91

AA - 20 yd shuttle - 4.37
TQ - 20 yd shuttle - 4.19

I feel like those (albeit minor differences) lend a lot more to actually translating to separation on the football field. This is why I want to see Alexander on the outside to start, and not in the slot or at Safety. I worry that his feet aren't quick enough to keep up in the middle, and being 6'3 195, he's gonna get blowed up coming down, or trying to match up against a TE like Ertz.

That said, I am not against looking at a veteran at OG. I was not a fan of the interior depth to begin with, but with Kouandjio now out for the season, we look particularly exposed.

Match that with the fact the 31 year old Lauvao was rated by PFF as one of the lowest rated guards when he started games for us and I think we still need to keep our eyes open for a value signing here before the end of the preseason.

I still believe TyPo has passed on whatever dirt he had on Snyder over to Lava. This HAS to Lava's last season with us, atleast as a starter.

Greetings to all. Summer is continuing to bring the heat and training camp arrives next Thursday. Hello to everyone on social media. We extend an invitation to take a look around here and hope you will become a member.

Today we evaluate the free agents that have been added this off-season. These evaluations are highly subjective, but we will attempt to look into the future and see what kind of impact each player will have with the Redskins. Will there be any long term starters? Will there be players who provide depth? Who will have a long term future with the Redskins? Who will have a short career with the team?

Early next week will evaluate the draftees and UDFAs and then we will have reports each day from training camp via various observations from reporters and pundits.

Let's get right to it.

Free Agents Obtained:

Orlando Scandrick, CB
Scandrick is probably going to fill the “Will Blackmon role” this season. He may play sparingly if many of the younger players are ready to step forward. That could also put his place on the roster in jeopardy. However, it is still good to have a seasoned veteran around for leadership and stability.

Pernell McPhee, OLB
The hope is that McPhee will have an injury-free season, but there are no guarantees. He will play the role that Junior Galette played last year and should do well.

Kevin Hogan, QB
Technically, Hogan was not a free agent acquisition, but it cost almost nothing to get him in a trade. It's highly unlikely that Hogan will supplant Colt McCoy as the backup quarterback. Hogan is no more than a 50-50 guarantee to make the final roster.

Alex Smith, QB
Smith was acquired via a trade, but we will include him in this list. He is the undisputed starter at quarterback and should have a good season. His stats could impress as the starter, but he also has the potential to impress with scrambling out of the pocket and gaining substantial yardage. Look for the quarterback play from Smith to be above average in 2018.

Paul Richardson, WR
He will be a starter at wide receiver and should have a very good season with the Redskins with Smith delivering the ball. Richardson may not have a pro bowl campaign, but he will likely put up good numbers and be very productive this season.

The list is small, but the quality is good. Each of these players should have a positive impact this year.

Some of these observations could be too optimistic. Some could be too pessimistic. How do you think the Redskins careers of these players will unfold? Feel free to agree or disagree. Too, feel free to post any of your career evaluations and expectations of these Redskins free agents.

Next week will bring the final evaluation of this off-season – the draftees and UDFAs. Training camp is almost here.

See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.