• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

Can we package Doctson and some other assets together to get a veteran WR or a #2 pick to jump start this offense?

Doctson doesn't fit this offense - he's an athletic deep ball receiver but doesn't run crisp routes on the patterns that are the staple of the WCO and his hands to his point are simply average.

Still, he is a guy with the raw skills GMs drool over.

We could really use an injection of proven ability on offense.

We were WAY too young at WR and RB last season, and to be honest short on productive talent as well.

We need a back but should be able to go fishing in the draft for that.

Can we package Doctson and some other assets together to get a veteran WR or a #2 pick to jump start this offense?

Doctson doesn't fit this offense - he's an athletic deep ball receiver but doesn't run crisp routes on the patterns that are the staple of the WCO and his hands to his point are simply average.

Still, he is a guy with the raw skills GMs drool over.

We could really use an injection of proven ability on offense.

We were WAY too young at WR and RB last season, and to be honest short on productive talent as well.

We need a back but should be able to go fishing in the draft for that.

For so long, fans have been pleading for a real red zone threat, and a guy who can do a fade correctly, and Doctson fits that perfectly, yet now we want to get rid of him ?

Yes, we need more help at WR and more playmakers, but Doctson is not a guy you get rid of - especially this soon, after just one full season.
Then we'd be doing on offense what we just did with Fuller.

The fade?

Come on, in a WCO I want to see a guy that can consistently run the slant, crosses and deep outs like they are falling out of bed in the morning.

That's what Brady has. His wide receivers outside of Cooks don't have great deep speed but they are shifty veterans that can get open and convert third downs and keep the chains moving.

Look at what the Patriots have committed to at WR.

Hogan was a mid-level free agent. Amendola was a mid-level free agent. Mitchell was a #4 draft pick. Britt was picked up as a street free agent after Tennessee cut him.

Only Cooks cost them anything and he put up a pro bowl caliber season in terms of production at age 24.

At 24, Doctson doesn't look like he is going to be anywhere near as productive as Cooks for some time, if ever.

Cooks had 560 yards his first season
This season Doctson first basically he had 506 around there
Let's compare in a few years and see
Cooks didn't look that good his first season

Because there is not a slot corner in the league that is as valuable as a competent player at the most important position in the game.

The value on the ledger side is getting basically the same player at that most important position (albeit older) at a much lower cost.

One way of looking at it.
We just took a position of strength (CB), and used it to take another position of weakness (QB, the most important position)...and at the end of the day, both positions are now positions of strength.

And...we have a lot of cap room to spend on nother things like ZB.
And a lot of draft picks to spend on more positions now.

So I'd say we made out pretty well.

Let me preface this by stating, like I did above, that I'm a huge Kendall Fuller guy and seeing him leave hurts. I didn't want to see him go..

(...)

I hate seeing Fuller go, but just having stability at the QB position has a ripple effect on the entire franchise.

Well, with you having a predetermined opinion of it all, I doubt seriously if anyone will be able to tell you what you want to hear.

I can give you some of my thoughts. Which, like everybody else's, will get you a cup of coffee at 7-11. Provided you have a couple dollars to kick in for good measure.

(...)

At the end of the day, the sky is not falling.

Appreciate the time you all took, sincerely. I'm actually unbelievably busy at work right now, for the last couple of months, and going on for the next couple of months. Anyway, reading your posts did get me some good insight into how the FO is thinking. My goal wasn't to have anyone change my mind, Ax (although it is always possible for me), but I did seek to understand the logic. I was very closed off in my thinking, which isn't really common for me, I didn't like the feeling.

I will say again, I've never been an outright fan of re-signing Kirk. I never fully disagreed with the path they took, although I thought they should have considered cutting bait earlier instead of committing all of this money to what I saw as an ultimate dead end. Still, I understood the gamble, I think they didn't feel 100% sure on whether he was elite or not, and they felt if he truly was "elite" (the vague definitions notwithstanding, things like "you'll know it when you see it") he would be worth his asking price. So they took a wait-and-see, and his long-term price continued to be higher than his perceived value. All of which I can agree with (personally) right now. I do NOT totally blame KC, he is doing what he needs to from a political standpoint to take care of himself, that's fine. He also feels slighted by the Skins and Snyder most likely (regardless of what he says), which I can understand too.

Back to the trade -- While I still don't agree with the trade though, I can at least understand the thought process. There is a fundamental difference in two aspects, I guess:

1) I don't value Alex Smith the same way they do. I watched the Chiefs against the Giants last year, at least in part. Did anyone else? In fact, over the years, I have watched a decent amount of Alex Smith football. Not any percentage where I'm an expert, but he's one of those players I've kind of looked at askance to try to understand his play and how much value he brings a team. I did feel that I undervalued him, initially.

2) Guys, this is the real problem with this trade: again. The best teams in the same situation... I just don't see them packing a Kendall Fuller in this trade and in this manner (I hope it's not up for debate that the manner in which it was handled was unprofessional, although consistent with the embarrassing manner the FO handles most things). It does too much damage to the locker room, it does too much damage to the team's reputation, and overall we are (in my opinion) definitely weaker from this step. I can get how the third one is totally an opinion thing, but it seems that the general reaction outside of this forum is overwhelmingly to that side.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018...-review-how-could-the-redskins-trade-this-guy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...the-redskins-losing-kendall-fuller-heres-why/

Just a couple of random links that immediately came up from google

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-...th-is-a-big-win-for-new-look-Giants-114459490

An excerpt from the above kind of states some of what I'm feeling --
The worst part of the trade for the Redskins wasn't even the fact that they essentially swapped out a 29-year-old Kirk Cousins in his prime for an older and less effective version in Smith. It wasn't even the fact that they re-signed Smith to a massive contract extension that should put them in salary cap hell. Dumping a valuable asset like a third-round pick also wasn't their fatal flaw. It was the decision to part with Fuller that will haunt the franchise for the next decade. Fuller finished as Pro Football Focus' fifth-best cornerback in pass coverage overall and their second-best slot cornerback overall in 2017. Fuller is still just 22 years old and coming off a breakout season in 2017. He is also under contract for cheap and team-controlled through the 2019 season.
It just isn't what good teams do. So, here we are.

I have calmed down more than I was earlier, and you guys did help clarify what I didn't understand, the team clearly values Alex Smith way more than I do. I didn't really think that was possible because I think I value him higher than many. I guess there are some who value him even more than I do, including apparently the FO. That is a reasonable explanation.

I believe Jay can put Alex into good situations to play well, just as he did with Kirk. I think the offense can click with Alex under center a reasonable amount. I think there is a window on his ability to play, I think we will see a sharp decline in his play over the next 3 years (it may be a big drop in year 2, it may be a big drop in year 3, but that is how I see it playing out). In that time, I don't think we win a Super Bowl, although a lot is still to be written there.

We will see what happens. I think overall if I compare this year's team to last year's team (be clear: I am assuming Kirk out the door this year regardless, but I just want to compare this year's team replacing Kirk with Alex and removing Kendall for now)... I think the team is worse off overall in that equation. We will see how they try to address that. I think they will fail to do so for a variety of reasons.

You guys made another excellent point too - that the team probably sees CB as a position of strength. That does seem like BA's thinking. My thinking is that they undervalued KF. Just my opinion. I also think that it wasn't the position of strength they saw it as, like a commodity that they could take for granted. It is necessary in the modern NFL.

I would be happier if we were thinking about how we get to be like the Patriots or Steelers. Long-term entrants to the postseason. I don't think this trade takes us a step closer to that. It takes us a step further away, in my opinion.

Well, one of the reasons I am not pleased we have a soon to be 34 year old quarterback on board is this team unlike the Patriots are not nearing in talent-wise on being a legit Super Bowl contender.

So, any considerations of 'hating the old' have to be put in suspension when you consider that at age 28 or 30 Brady was already a HOF quality player when Smith at 28 was still considered to be a mild bust as a #1 overall pick.

These are not comparable players.

What this means with the guaranteed money now given to Smith is that the Redskins need to come up with TWO possession/intermediate range wide receivers for the short-track WCO that Smith runs best.

Right now we don't have those players on this roster, our receivers don't as a rule run great routes or have great hands.

The need is for 2018 as again Smith is 34.

We can't wait to draft wide receivers in Rounds 4 or 5 and hope they develop over the next 2-3 years.

We need guys that can produce in 2018.

Who did you want the Redskins to replace Cousins with?

It's easy to say 'draft a young talented QB'. And that's obviously one direction to go (they still may do exactly that if a gem is available or drops). But there is zero guarantee we hit on a QB in the draft. If we miss, you're looking at some of our best current talent aging out and a total rebuild. Smith gives us a chance to continue building and continue to be competitive without missing a beat. Acquiring him also allows us to use that high pick on an impact offensive or defensive player. The only other option was to go after a one year wonder or previously injured QB with potential. Which one of those guys is anything near Alex Smith in terms of talent and capability - because names aren't dropping into my mind right now?

If you can't answer any of those questions - then I really don't see how one critiques this move?

I think I better understand where you're coming from. Though I don't agree with much of criticism of the trade.
But here's a couple more of my thoughts.

The worst part of the trade for the Redskins wasn't even the fact that they essentially swapped out a 29-year-old Kirk Cousins in his prime for an older and less effective version in Smith. It wasn't even the fact that they re-signed Smith to a massive contract extension that should put them in salary cap hell. Dumping a valuable asset like a third-round pick also wasn't their fatal flaw. It was the decision to part with Fuller that will haunt the franchise for the next decade. Fuller finished as Pro Football Focus' fifth-best cornerback in pass coverage overall and their second-best slot cornerback overall in 2017. Fuller is still just 22 years old and coming off a breakout season in 2017. He is also under contract for cheap and team-controlled through the 2019 season.

First off, I totally disagree with the opening assertion that Smith is a less effective version Kirk. Yes, he is older. But he has better pocket awareness. He's better moving around within the pocket. He's a much more decisive runner when he needs to be. I believe he will see more of the field, more often, and find open receivers that Cousins often missed. And that turnovers from the position, both fumbles and int's, will be reduced.
Secondly, the statement about losing Fuller haunting us for a decade is ridiculous.

Now, I realize that if one buys into this statement, it's easy to see the trade as the Armageddon some claim it to be. I personally see this rationale as being more Chicken Little hysteria than anything else. Because even if it's all true, the sun will still come up tomorrow.

You guys made another excellent point too - that the team probably sees CB as a position of strength. That does seem like BA's thinking. My thinking is that they undervalued KF. Just my opinion. I also think that it wasn't the position of strength they saw it as, like a commodity that they could take for granted. It is necessary in the modern NFL.
I think the team is high on Moreau, and Holsey. And the same coaches who helped Fuller develop are still here. I hope they do re-sign Breeland too. Furthermore, money saved on the cap from this deal, and others yet to come, should allow us to improve other areas. Another stud on the D-line to go along with Allen and Ioniddas does more to help a defense than a slot corner. Hell, if you don't get pressure on the QB, a secondary made up of Darrell Green, Mike Haynes, and Pat Fischer would struggle to cover WR's.

I would be happier if we were thinking about how we get to be like the Patriots or Steelers. Long-term entrants to the postseason. I don't think this trade takes us a step closer to that. It takes us a step further away, in my opinion.
I know these 2 teams get thrown up at every turn. And, if we ever luck into a 6th round Tom Brady, or have a Roethlisberger fall into our lap, then maybe we can be more like them. That puts us with most of the teams in the league.

Originally Posted by SkinsNumberOne

This may be the single most ridiculous opinion piece I have seen on the trade. I guess if one starts from a faulty premise it shouldn't be a surprise.

The team did not essentially swap Cousins for an older, less effective version. They swapped Cousins for an older, comparably skilled, much less expensive version. And- a massive contract extension that should result in salary cap hell? That is laugh out loud funny. Kendall Fuller- I guess I should prepare to tell my grandchildren 10 years from now how the team would have been perennial Super Bowl contenders if only they had kept a young, talented slot corner.

Last edited:
Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Today we take a look at the college prospects list. The Senior Bowl was last weekend and many prospects met with the Redskins prior to the game. We are separating this feature from the mocks now. Each year the list becomes too long to be included with ongoing mocks.

We'll add prospects who are contacted, interviewed, visited, worked out, etc. to the list as well.

As always, feel free to add any information that you may come across.

Undrafted Free Agent Prospects:
Andrew Trumbetti, OLB, Notre Dame
Cole Reyes, SS, North Dakota
Jester Weah, WR, Pittsburgh
Jordan Thomas, CB, Oklahoma
Donovan Wilson, CB, Texas A&M
Ryan Finley, QB, North Carolina St.
Reggie Carter, ILB, Georgia
Eddy Peneiro, K, Florida
Drew Bailey, DE/DT, Louisville
Cody O'Connell, OG, Washington St.
Walter Brady, OLB, Middle Tennessee St.
Jeb Blazevich, TE, Georgia
Bruce Hector, DE/DT, South Florida
Evan Berry, KR/FS, Tennessee

Prospects Contacted, Interviewed, Visited:
East-West Shrine game - EW
Senior Bowl - SB
Combine – NFLC
Team Pro Day – TPD
Team Visit – TV
Private Workout – PW

Matthew Thomas, LB, Florida St. – EW
Connor Hilland, OG, William & Mary – EW
Kentavius Street, DT, N.C. State – EW
Jordan Martin, CB/FS, Syracuse – EW
Bryce Bobo, WR, Colorado – EW
Malik Reaves, CB, Villanova – EW
Folorunso Fatukasi, DE, Connecticut – EW
Ito Smith, RB, Southern Mississippi – SB
Quin Blanding, SS/FS, Virginia – SB
Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego St. – SB
Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma St. – SB
Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona St. – SB
Cedrick Wilson, WR, Boise St. – SB
Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa – SB
Tyler Conklin, TE, Central Michigan – SB
Kameron Kelly, CB, San Diego St. – SB
Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn St. – SB
Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon – SB
Cole Madison, OG, Washington St. – SB
Mike White, QB, Western Kentucky – SB

The list is growing. Keep checking back regularly for updates.

Hail To The Redskins!

Smith's deal is likely front-loaded so it is in essence a 3 year deal with back years the team can get out of.

We won't know until March 14 but one thing I give Shaffer and Allen credit for is being able to structure deals.

When you consider Smith will likely cost around $21 or $22M a year and Cousins is looking for $29-30M, the gap does count in the overall analysis because that cap space is one star player or several solid performers on a roster that still needs depth.

I think I better understand where you're coming from. Though I don't agree with much of criticism of the trade.
But here's a couple more of my thoughts.

First off, I totally disagree with the opening assertion that Smith is a less effective version Kirk. Yes, he is older. But he has better pocket awareness. He's better moving around within the pocket. He's a much more decisive runner when he needs to be. I believe he will see more of the field, more often, and find open receivers that Cousins often missed. And that turnovers from the position, both fumbles and int's, will be reduced.
Secondly, the statement about losing Fuller haunting us for a decade is ridiculous.

Now, I realize that if one buys into this statement, it's easy to see the trade as the Armageddon some claim it to be. I personally see this rationale as being more Chicken Little hysteria than anything else. Because even if it's all true, the sun will still come up tomorrow.

I think the team is high on Moreau, and Holsey. And the same coaches who helped Fuller develop are still here. I hope they do re-sign Breeland too. Furthermore, money saved on the cap from this deal, and others yet to come, should allow us to improve other areas. Another stud on the D-line to go along with Allen and Ioniddas does more to help a defense than a slot corner. Hell, if you don't get pressure on the QB, a secondary made up of Darrell Green, Mike Haynes, and Pat Fischer would struggle to cover WR's.

I know these 2 teams get thrown up at every turn. And, if we ever luck into a 6th round Tom Brady, or have a Roethlisberger fall into our lap, then maybe we can be more like them. That puts us with most of the teams in the league.

Originally Posted by SkinsNumberOne

This may be the single most ridiculous opinion piece I have seen on the trade. I guess if one starts from a faulty premise it shouldn't be a surprise.

The team did not essentially swap Cousins for an older, less effective version. They swapped Cousins for an older, comparably skilled, much less expensive version. And- a massive contract extension that should result in salary cap hell? That is laugh out loud funny. Kendall Fuller- I guess I should prepare to tell my grandchildren 10 years from now how the team would have been perennial Super Bowl contenders if only they had kept a young, talented slot corner.

To be clear, that was some Giants link that came up. I thought I saw a part that matched well with some of my thoughts; I disagree with a lot of what I put there. The last part is what I agree with: Fuller finished as Pro Football Focus' fifth-best cornerback in pass coverage overall and their second-best slot cornerback overall in 2017. Fuller is still just 22 years old and coming off a breakout season in 2017. He is also under contract for cheap and team-controlled through the 2019 season.

The other junk in what I pasted was his hyperbole on the situation, and some flat out stupidity. It was late, I was just rushing through.

In my mind, when the metrics and your eyes show you a 22 year old CB who is coming up, when you hear the locker room opinions of him, his work ethic, and things on that end as well... it's someone who the best teams don't let go. Someone who has a lot of innate value. LOW bottom line, for a good amount of time, upside as he enters prime development years... and already showed the ability to play well.

I'm not even that low on Alex Smith. I'm not that high on Kirk (relative to his asking price). I think Alex could be a good QB here. Out-performing Kirk, I am not sure but it is possible. It's also possible he does worse, there are some things that go on that you can't predict. Alex has the tools to do better, but at his age, if we can't win a SB with him in the next couple of years, I just think we're twiddling our thumbs. I'd rather twiddle with a cheaper option, and I just don't see us winning a Super Bowl with Alex and the team he has around him. I don't think that we will be a better team with Alex and without KF + 3rd round pick, then without, over the next 2 or 3 years. I would say it smells like a move for mediocrity. I'd rather we focused on defense and got a cheaper option at QB.

For those who say, there was no better option at QB, honestly I don't care (although I'm not sure if there are 2 Minnesota QBs better who are FAs if I remember correctly.. maybe I'm forgetting something and have no time to check). What I care about is if we are setting ourselves up for a SB run in the short OR long-term (I prefer long, but I'll take and understand short), or mediocrity. I see this as setting ourselves up for mediocrity.

It's not all written, we'll have to see what happens in FA, but I also think what hurts us is the perception that we blindsided KF, and that he's a young up-and-comer. FAs want to know they are going to a franchise that has a good plan in place. The Swearinger tweets obviously hurt us there too. I'm sure players have taken notice and added it to the list of reasons not to come to DC. Winning cures all, we'll see.

Smith's deal is likely front-loaded so it is in essence a 3 year deal with back years the team can get out of.

We won't know until March 14 but one thing I give Shaffer and Allen credit for is being able to structure deals.

When you consider Smith will likely cost around $21 or $22M a year and Cousins is looking for $29-30M, the gap does count in the overall analysis because that cap space is one star player or several solid performers on a roster that still needs depth.

This is all true, but acting like it was either Smith at 22 / year or Cousins at much more is probably a false premise. Cousins is out. There are other options beyond Smith.

I'd have focused on making more improvements in other areas and rolling forward with a better "value" QB, personally. It may not put as exciting an offensive product on the field as what we have with Smith, but I guess I'm not sold on the current organization being able to do more with less (in terms of proven young talent and draft picks, which are the real building blocks of long-term success over older players, a lesson I thought we had learned a long time ago).

Again, I'm going to tell you guys, I like Alex Smith and think he's underrated. I know many hate Sally Jenkins here, but maybe it will be convenient if she fits your narrative:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...a059f168dd2_story.html?utm_term=.33c6ac674c19

If you believe everything said there, it starts to look like it DOES have a chance to be a good trade. So is Sally right? She did a good job of cherry-picking stats, that's for sure! Picking last year for Alex Smith and talking up that year... is a little disingenuous. Looking at the bigger picture, last year looks like an anomaly, and he had some top flight targets in Hill and Kelce. I don't think we have the same targets in 2018 in DC. Maybe 2016 with Garcon and Jackson.

I like Alex Smith, I like his demeanor and all of that. I think with our team, he will not win a Super Bowl with us. I think that his price tag and his contract are just going to identify time wasted.

Last edited:
Very interesting analysis from Farrar. Ugh on the twitter format, but you can see what this thread is saying.

So any hubub about how Fuller found out of the trade. I'm hoping it was something like his agent forgot to call, or the KC press jumped the gun waaaay before everyone could be notified.

It's better than Bruce just not keeping team Fuller in the loop and yelling surprise Bitch!

For the record I'll miss KF since he seemed one of our better draft picks over the years. Regarding Kirk tho, **** him he's dead to me now.

To be clear, that was some Giants link that came up. I thought I saw a part that matched well with some of my thoughts; I disagree with a lot of what I put there. The last part is what I agree with: Fuller finished as Pro Football Focus' fifth-best cornerback in pass coverage overall and their second-best slot cornerback overall in 2017. Fuller is still just 22 years old and coming off a breakout season in 2017. He is also under contract for cheap and team-controlled through the 2019 season.

The other junk in what I pasted was his hyperbole on the situation, and some flat out stupidity. It was late, I was just rushing through.

In my mind, when the metrics and your eyes show you a 22 year old CB who is coming up, when you hear the locker room opinions of him, his work ethic, and things on that end as well... it's someone who the best teams don't let go. Someone who has a lot of innate value. LOW bottom line, for a good amount of time, upside as he enters prime development years... and already showed the ability to play well.

I'm not even that low on Alex Smith. I'm not that high on Kirk (relative to his asking price). I think Alex could be a good QB here. Out-performing Kirk, I am not sure but it is possible. It's also possible he does worse, there are some things that go on that you can't predict. Alex has the tools to do better, but at his age, if we can't win a SB with him in the next couple of years, I just think we're twiddling our thumbs. I'd rather twiddle with a cheaper option, and I just don't see us winning a Super Bowl with Alex and the team he has around him. I don't think that we will be a better team with Alex and without KF + 3rd round pick, then without, over the next 2 or 3 years. I would say it smells like a move for mediocrity. I'd rather we focused on defense and got a cheaper option at QB.

For those who say, there was no better option at QB, honestly I don't care (although I'm not sure if there are 2 Minnesota QBs better who are FAs if I remember correctly.. maybe I'm forgetting something and have no time to check). What I care about is if we are setting ourselves up for a SB run in the short OR long-term (I prefer long, but I'll take and understand short), or mediocrity. I see this as setting ourselves up for mediocrity.

It's not all written, we'll have to see what happens in FA, but I also think what hurts us is the perception that we blindsided KF, and that he's a young up-and-comer. FAs want to know they are going to a franchise that has a good plan in place. The Swearinger tweets obviously hurt us there too. I'm sure players have taken notice and added it to the list of reasons not to come to DC. Winning cures all, we'll see.

You're over-thinking it (as are most Skins fans). Guy walks up to you on the street and says 'Hey - wanna give me your top tier slot corner for a proven Pro Bowl QB for the next 4-5 years?'.

The answer is ....

Hell yes.
It's hell yes today.
It's hell yes tomorrow.

It's. Just. Hell. Yes.

It's really not that complicated. Doesn't matter how ****king awesome, young, and promising said CB is. You do that deal. Every day. Every time. Period.

Feelings, whether we harshly shat upon them or not, have zero to do with anything. I don't know what happened in terms of communication with Fuller. But I know one thing - it matters not.

Second year players aren't ever kept in the loop about possibly being traded. Social media, combined with people's need to be first to say something, make Fuller finding out on Twitter no big deal. Yeah, it's unfortunate. But it happens.

As to Swearinger. If I was the self professed leader of the defense, I'd be more worried that a 2nd year guy out-graded me in performance. Spend less time running my trap on social media. And more time trying to lead by example, by having the highest grade.

And remember, all this kind of stuff has been going on in the NFL, forever. Just didn't have "speed of light" social media reporting every fart before the smell hit your nose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.