• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

Anyone notice the players we've been most clamoring for are still unsigned? It's not just the 'Skins.

I hear in media and read on message boards all the time “ You can never have too many pass rushers”

I guess Gallette is one too many....

I was one of the advocates for bringing Gallete back, last year. He's now gotten 3yrs pay for one year of work. While his one year wasn't bad, per se, it wasn't wow, either. If he goes somewhere else and finally gets back to the wow, so be it. He wants more money, and more playing time. Sorry, we can get what he contributed from some of the younger, cheaper guys on the roster.

But please, don't let that stop anyone's anti-FO manifesto.

The Front Office made the decision to sign him and stick with him through injury. They decided it was worth it to invest in him. Now that he's healthy, they let him go? It makes no sense.

If you didn't think he had value, why didn't they cut their losses after Year One?

Redskins have to be smarter....

They didn't let him go. He chose not to accept their offer. Whether it's "fair" or not remains to be seen since he has yet to actually sign anywhere.

The Front Office made the decision to sign him and stick with him through injury. They decided it was worth it to invest in him. Now that he's healthy, they let him go? It makes no sense.

If you didn't think he had value, why didn't they cut their losses after Year One?

Smarter?

They didnt cut him... he's a free agent. They didn't commit money to stick by him through injury, they committed money to see a player perform and that player happened to get hurt. Low risk money at that.

We've had a clear offer on the table for a couple months now.. it would appear he's valued himself higher. Would you rather us invest more money into a guy just because we paid him for 2 years of being injured? No, personally I would not. I'd rather us understand what we're willing to pay, offer him and if he chooses to hold out for more money, thats fine... but don't overpay that guy now just because of ghosts of past.

Well if he'll sign for the same money, of course we should try to keep him.

Think that's gonna happen?

That's about as likely as you giving anyone in the FO enough credit to be able to drop a rock and have it hit the ground. ;)

Linebacker Will Compton will visit Tennessee per source. Arrives today. Also will be there Saturday. He already has visited Buffalo.

--John Keim

It's a fire sale at Redskins Park. Which is fine, as long as we can replace them with equal/better talent.

Linebacker Will Compton will visit Tennessee per source. Arrives today. Also will be there Saturday. He already has visited Buffalo.

--John Keim

It's a fire sale at Redskins Park. Which is fine, as long as we can replace them with equal/better talent.

I'd call it a fire sale if we were cutting / trading...

We signed a TON of 1 year deals last year, and we're letting backups walk to get starter money.

I'm ok with it. Let someone else offer Grant too much money, then realize it and get buyers remorse.

Cousins / Breeland are the only 2 'starters' we haven't re-signed....

How is it a fire sale?

If a guy wants to walk because he lost his starting job, so be it. I mean, he's a likeable enough guy, but most have been screaming for us to update that position ever since he's been here. When everyone on the team is healthy, he's #4 ILB. Right?

It's a simple numbers game.

If we lose 7 starters/rotational players, then we need to add 7 to get back to breakeven.

The QB move is still up for debate, but are we trying to kid ourselves that 31-year-old Orlando Scandrick (1 ACL, two back contusions and a broken hand to IR last season) wasn't just a big downgrade from Breeland and Fuller?

We have six draft picks to actually try to improve the team. How many on those six will we hit on?

We had better get to signing people to replace guys like Gallette and Murphy pretty quickly, or we'll be sifting through the junk bin of camp cuts to fill holes for a season.

Yes, smarter.

Would Belichick wait two years for Gallette or would he cut him after the second time he popped an Achilles?

Another beauty: DeAngelo Hall.

He lost his value the moment it became apparent he couldn't play corner anymore.
Instead of letting him go, they wanted to move him to safety, a position he couldn't play.
Then, he gets hurt. Not once but twice. So the team waits on him. Instead of cutting him, they carry him on PUP, only to find out he's done when he finally got on the field.

Smart teams don't wait on a player like that,especially on the wrong side of 30.

Btw, why should any Redskins fan give the Front Office benefit of the doubt, much less praise?

If they want that, prove you can build a squad that can win 11 games....something that hasn't been seen around here since 91/92.
And something that has seemed near impossible to accomplish for Bruce,Mr. 2002 Exec. Of the Year(that's 16 yrs ago),since he's been here. Same goes for Scot Campbell who's been here 17 yrs and strangely gets a pass every year, no matter how bad the on field performance is.

It just seems like the fan base has been conditioned to think 9-7 is the high water mark here and that it's great to be there and get a token playoff appearance every seven years or so.

It's a simple numbers game.

If we lose 7 starters/rotational players, then we need to add 7 to get back to breakeven.
Well, those 7 starters/rotational players hadn't won us a goddamn thing. The worst we can do with their replacements, is not win a goddamn thing.
=Breakin Even. At worst.

The QB move is still up for debate,
No, it's not. Your boy has receivers open on every play, right. Any average QB can get the job done here. Especially since the rules favor offense 10-1.

but are we trying to kid ourselves that 31-year-old Orlando Scandrick (1 ACL, two back contusions and a broken hand to IR last season) wasn't just a big downgrade from Breeland and Fuller?
Show me a single person on the planet that thinks it wasn't a downgrade. But, QB's don't grow on trees. We had to pay something to get something. I mean hell, if it's all so easy, why aren't you the #1 GM in all the NFL, guiding your team to the SB every...single...year?

We have six draft picks to actually try to improve the team. How many on those six will we hit on?
An unavailable answer for several years.
We had better get to signing people to replace guys like Gallette and Murphy pretty quickly, or we'll be sifting through the junk bin of camp cuts to fill holes for a season.
Because of all the championships they led us to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, smarter.

Would Belichick wait two years for Gallette or would he cut him after the second time he popped an Achilles?

Another beauty: DeAngelo Hall.

He lost his value the moment it became apparent he couldn't play corner anymore.
Instead of letting him go, they wanted to move him to safety, a position he couldn't play.
Then, he gets hurt. Not once but twice. So the team waits on him. Instead of cutting him, they carry him on PUP, only to find out he's done when he finally got on the field.

Smart teams don't wait on a player like that,especially on the wrong side of 30.

Btw, why should any Redskins fan give the Front Office benefit of the doubt, much less praise?

If they want that, prove you can build a squad that can win 11 games....something that hasn't been seen around here since 91/92.
And something that has seemed near impossible to accomplish for Bruce,Mr. 2002 Exec. Of the Year(that's 16 yrs ago),since he's been here. Same goes for Scot Campbell who's been here 17 yrs and strangely gets a pass every year, no matter how bad the on field performance is.

It just seems like the fan base has been conditioned to think 9-7 is the high water mark here and that it's great to be there and get a token playoff appearance every seven years or so.

The truth of the matter is, it doesn't matter what this FO ever does, with you. Your opinion is fixed, and permanent.
You are incapable of seeing anything other than your own despise of them.

I feel bad for you. No one should let something they have no control of, affect them so negatively. Forever

Doesn't have to be forever.

Fire Bruce and clean out the entire Front Office and scouting Dept.

The well of hope will be renewed!

I had a lawn mower one time that didn't do a good job mowing grass. I could've done like the Redskins and kept it, hoping one day it would do the job but instead, I junked it and got one that could do the job.

Imagine that? 😎

Last edited:
I think the Redskins should have made a stronger push to sign Sheldon Richardson. Evidently both teams were offering one year deals but Green Bay gave him $2M more in straight salary/guarantees. We couldn't have afforded that? :)

What I am NOT upset over is the exodus of players from the Redskins who were slated to be backups when they receive outsized offers from other teams.

Some folks here still don't get it. With millions invested in Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith a free agent in 2019, the Redskins have their starters and don't have room for contracts like the 3 year $21M deal that Trent Murphy signed. Or the deal that Junior Galette evidently is holding out for.

Now, if Murphy was being expected to supplant Kerrigan or Smith as a STARTER or it was an open competition for the spot, then I would have been in favor of bringing him back and matching Buffalo's offer.

For the Bills, Trent is going to be a three down player. That's worth $21M.

Look ahead to 2019. Assume Ty Nsekhe plays in 2018 and starts a couple of games and looks great. Someone is going to offer him a larger deal than Washington because we already have our anchor tackles on the roster in Williams and Moses with suitably large contracts to boot.

So, I would be sorry to see Ty go as the swing tackle, but he is never going to be the starting LT here as long as Trent Williams can stand up put on a uniform.

For a team like Seattle or Arizona that has a crappy offensive line, I could see them give him a one or two year deal for a good chunk of change. But they have nothing to lose because their current starters are C and D level players.

Some of these other deals have to be understood in another context. Ryan Grant was in demand by teams that literally have nothing at WR and are starting over. That certainly was the case with Baltimore before they signed Michael Crabtree. Likewise, Indy lost the underachieving Dorsett last year to New England and Moncrief left in free agency, so they have big holes there.

But no team that has capable starters at WR was willing to commit major money to Grant to be the #3 or #4 .

Likewise, Will Compton is a great player to have on your roster at $850K. Once someone offers him anything north of the veteran minimum, it's too much. Compton is a special teamer and spot performer at LB whose lack of footspeed is exposed the more he is out there on the field. He's also a bit small at 234 to play linebacker in the Redskins 3-4.

Even though I didn't think he was coming here, that was one reason I was intrigued by Pernell McPhee. He played in the Raven's 3-4 when it was a high quality defense and at 6'3 and 265 has great size to be a LB in our defense. At 29, he would have been worth a 2 year deal with some guaranteed money obviously but I would imagine he wants to have a chance to start which he wouldn't do in DC unless due to injuries, etc.

I think it was telling that Jay Gruden spoke so favorably of Chase Roullier last summer when he already had Spencer Long at center. When a #6 pick can come in and project to being a contributor by the head coach how much is the guy ahead of him actually worth to the team?

I understand the Jets signed him to be their left guard not their center.

But then again, the Jets have been signing almost every free agent that has hit the market.

One can question their judgment on guys like Terrelle Pryor. And I think to some extent Long fits in that category because while he started games here he was never mentioned by coaches, former players or other teams' scouts as a guy to watch, he was simply a 'guy' as Chris Cooley says.

He's a C player that can come in and do an average NFL job for you. He won't embarrass you, but he isn't going to be an impact player inside either. How much is that worth?

Is it worth more than another #3 or #4 pick that you take that might be able to fill that spot and provide better upside physically?

Is it worth more than a post-draft veteran that is cut due to roster numbers as teams acquire younger players in April and move some vets out?

John Sullivan was an example of a proven veteran coming off injury that was cast aside by the Vikings but came in here and filled in pretty well when Long was hurt.

Then he went with Sean McVay to the Rams and started on a playoff team.

Last edited:

--John Keim

I like Compton a lot, but he is simply a step too slow at this point in his career for his instincts to make up for, I would not give him a contract.

Compton on a good team is strictly a special teamer and deep backup. On a middling or struggling defense he is a guy that will give you some reps. Hopefully, we have progressed enough where a guy like Compton is no longer an attractive candidate.

To me the biggest question among the returning linebackers is Ryan Anderson. Is this guy a bust in this scheme and should we change his role or trade him elsewhere. For a #2 pick, he was barely visible and that's not good.

For a team that struggled as much as we did in 2017 with injuries the fact Anderson never factored into the solution of patching things up on that side of the ball is troubling.

His draft bio said he projected to being a strongside linebacker in the 4-3.

I thought his selection might be a sign we were going to transition back to the 4-3 after a simply horrible run as a hybrid 3-4 from 2010-2017.

When was the 3-4 here ever really effective during those 7 years?

Defense has been our Achilles heel all along.

It seems the coaching staff liked Compton for calling defensive plays and maybe more so than his performance. Probably another guy can handle that role.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.