• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings from BBQ. The Redskins made a major move recently as they struck a deal for a new quarterback. Free agency, the draft, and training camp will be here before you know it.

Who will we target in free agency? Who will we re-sign? Who will we not re-sign? Who will get released? Feel free to offer your opinions and predictions.

We take the latest chatter from Redskins Park and media pundits as BBQ tries to formulate what could happen in the coming days, weeks and months.

Free Agents Obtained:

Free Agents Re-signed:
Quinton Dunbar, CB/ST – (Signed Three Year Deal, 1/1/18)
Mason Foster, ILB – (Signed Two Year Deal, 1/25/18)

Trade:
Alex Smith, QB
Kendall Fuller, CB (Traded to the Chiefs)

Restricted Free Agents:
Ty Nsehke, OT – (Very Likely Tendered)
Deshazor Everett, SS/ST – (Very Likely Tendered)

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:
Tyler Catalina, OG – (Very Likely Tendered)

Contract Extension:
Alex Smith, QB (Four Year Extension, Five Years Total)

Pending Free Agents:
Kirk Cousins, QB – (Redskins Career Is Over)
Terrelle Pryor, WR – (Unknown)
Shawn Lauvao, OG – (Very Likely Walks)
Niles Paul, TE/ST – (Unknown)
Spencer Long, OG/C – (Unknown)
Ryan Grant, WR – (Probably Re-signs)
DeAngelo Hall, FS – (Very Likely Retires)
Arthur Jones, DT – (Probably Walks)
Zach Brown, ILB – (Unknown)
Bashaud Breeland, CB – (Unknown)
Will Compton, ILB – (Unknown)
Trent Murphy, OLB – (Unknown)
Junior Galette, OLB – (Unknown)
Chris Carter, LB/ST – (Unknown)
Tony Bergstrom, C – (Very Likely Walks)
Brian Quick, WR – (Likely Walks)
Zach Vigil, ILB – (Possibly Re-signs)
Phil Taylor, DT – (Unknown)
Dustin Hopkins, K – (Very Likely Re-signs)

Possible Release Candidates:
Keith Marshall, RB – (Cap Savings, $33K – Dead Cap, $538.6K)
Byron Marshall, RB – (Cap Savings, $630K – Dead Cap, $0)
Jordan Reed, TE – (Cap Savings, $5.2M – Dead Cap, $5.4M)
T.J. Clemmings, OT – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
Arie Kouandjio, OG – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
Demetrius Rhaney, C – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
A.J. Francis, DE – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
Su'a Cravens, SS – (Cap Savings, $1.36M – Dead Cap, $1.7M)

Offseason Updates:
As you know we ended the process of listing free agents from other teams, but this offseason is full of unpredictability. We will list some players of interest this year, but it won't be a comprehensive list and there is no way we can sign all of them.

Carlos Hyde, RB
Isaiah Crowell, RB
Jordan Matthews, WR
Paul Richardson, WR
Donte Moncrief, WR
Brice Butler, WR
Trey Burton, TE
Justin Pugh, OT/OG
Greg Robinson, OT/OG
Jonathan Cooper, OG
Zach Fulton, OG
Luke Joeckel, OG
Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB
Barkevious Mingo, OLB
Dee Ford, OLB
Demario Davis, ILB
Jon Bostic, ILB
Sheldon Richardson, DE
Brent Urban, DE
DaQuan Jones, DT
Daniel McCullers, DT
Bennie Logan, DE/DT
Beau Allen, DT
Star Lotulelei, DT
Kyle Fuller, CB

This list will grow, shrink, and change quite a bit. Feel free to produce a list of your own – we look forward to it.

Kapri Bibbs signed a two year contract late in the 2017 season. He will be an UFA in 2019. BBQ had inaccurate information in recent free agency updates and regrets the error.

Talk of a tag and trade (Kirk Cousins) is just that…talk. Don't look for it to happen.

The new contract for Mason Foster is for two years and $7 million.

With the new extension for Alex Smith as he joins the Redskins, we have learned that the total deal is for five years (four year extension).

Personal Thoughts:
While it is tough to lose Kendall Fuller, the quarterback position is now settled for the next few years. Kirk Cousins never had any intention of signing a long term deal here. It is time to move forward.

BBQ believes that a quarterback will be selected by the Redskins in the middle rounds of the upcoming draft.

See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

(channeling my inner @Fear The Spear)

What - stuff like 'You throw like a girl Lauletta!' and 'Show us that patented limp wristed throwing style!'. That kind of thing?

But we better hold on to that limp-thrower this time.
Because look what happens every time we let a team swipe away our noodle-arm, developmental QB.
They go straight to the Super Bowl and win it all.

Chase Daniel with the Saints
Sudfeld with Philly.
Maybe others, who knows.

But I'm tired of facilitating other teams' Super Bowl victories.

BB. Love the guest mocks - always great to hear different possibilities (and introduce new folks to BGO)! :cheers:

I like the mock, and appreciate all the work you put into it.
Just one difference in opinion.
I definitely think we should take a WR, or maybe 2, much higher than round 7.
Especially since the FA WR's listed don't look like they're capable of coming in and giving us the boost we need at the position.

Hopefully Alex Smith will be able to better utilize the guys we have. Along with whatever else we can find.

I like the mock, and appreciate all the work you put into it.
Just one difference in opinion.
I definitely think we should take a WR, or maybe 2, much higher than round 7.
Especially since the FA WR's listed don't look like they're capable of coming in and giving us the boost we need at the position.

We definitely need a #1 WR. Anyone else have trepidation about picking one at 13 though? We haven't exactly had a ton of luck with early WR picks. WR seems to be one of those draft positions where you can strike gold in later rounds, more so than say, RB. I'm not sure we can fix both RB and WR positions in a single offseason. If we really want an impact guy, I'd pick one of those positions and go all out to fix it. Sometimes I think the 'fix all the weaknesses' approach is a recipe for failure. Wonder if we wouldn't be better off focusing on 1 or 2 in any given offseason?

We can use those high picks from the trade of Cousins. You know, the ones that only Bruce Allen is smart enough to acquire.

We definitely need a #1 WR. Anyone else have trepidation about picking one at 13 though? We haven't exactly had a ton of luck with early WR picks. WR seems to be one of those draft positions where you can strike gold in later rounds, more so than say, RB. I'm not sure we can fix both RB and WR positions in a single offseason. If we really want an impact guy, I'd pick one of those positions and go all out to fix it. Sometimes I think the 'fix all the weaknesses' approach is a recipe for failure. Wonder if we wouldn't be better off focusing on 1 or 2 in any given offseason?

Track record aside i'm not sure there are going to be any worth that pick. I've heard conflicting reports about whether Ridley would be worth it, but I'm still questioning it all.

So, being off work today, and a little bored, I decided to look at the history of drafted Redskins WR's for the past 3 decades.

I warn you, reading the rest of this post won't cause blindness, erections longer than 4 hours, or heart attack. But it may well result in depression and GI symptoms.

If we look at WRs drafted by decade, our first conclusion is that the Redskins have drafted incredibly few WRs - EVER - in the modern NFL draft. In the 1990's, a total of 9 WRs were drafted, but only 3 of them during the first 3 rounds of the draft. Most painfully, and perhaps a harbinger of things to come - the greatest WR to be drafted during this 27 year period? Keenan McCardell, drafted by the Skins in the 12th round of the 1991 draft, injured and cut after never playing a snap for the Redskins. Went on to rack up over 11,000 receiving yards - you know - for other teams :) But the Redskins did *hit* on a few guys who were moderatly successful in Michael Westbrook, Desmond Howard, and Albert Connell. Of the 3, Connell was probably the best value, drafted in the 4th round. Westbrook and Howard, given the Skins used 1st rounders on them, were largely viewed as disappointments.

In the 2000's, the Redskins used 1st through 3rd round picks on WRs on 5 occasions, and sadly, missed on every swing of the draft bat. Just to maximize your pain, I'll name the guys: Rod Gardner (1st round - ugh!), Cliff Russell (3rd round - huh?), Taylor Jacobs, Malcolm Kelly, and Devin Thomas (2nd rounders all, with a triple ugh for effort!). A total of 8 WRs were selected in the 2000's with Rod Gardner the only one to break 800 yards career receiving. Boo!

From 2010 on, the Redskins have been on a relative spree when it comes to selecting WRs in the draft. The most recent decade has seen the Skins already select 9 WRs, 3 of them in the first 3 rounds. Although current Skins fans may bemoan the lack of any true #1 WRs in that bunch, compared to the prior 2 decades, you'd have to confess that the Redskins have done better in recent years (especially during Jay Gruden's tenure). Ryan Grant looks to have been a hidden gem in round 5, Jamison Crowder a serious bargain in round 4, and Josh Doctson shows potential although the jury is still out on whether or not the Redskins made a good call selecting him in the 1st round in 2016. We simply don't know whether Robert Davis is an NFL WR or not yet?

Bottom line - the Redskins rarely use a top 3 round draft pick on WR - and when they have (Josh Doctson question mark notwithstanding) it's been more or less a disaster.

Will the Redskins go against that previous history and grab a critically needed impact WR in the 2018 draft? History says no. But if they do, will they finally hit on someone special this time around?

It's hard to be hopeful.

WRsdrafted.jpg

Last edited:
Irony is, we currently have 5 different receivers, taken from 5 different drafts of our own, still currently on our roster.
So, we've been far from busting lately.
It's just that no-one has broken away from the pack.
Just like our record, our drafted receivers are stuck in mediocrity.
I still say we draft one no lower than the 3rd round. You can't just give up, based on a historical trend, because historical trends in the NFL are far from an exact science.
Aldrick has moved on and had some success. I liked him when he was here, and thought he had potential. Remember that Thanksgiving game against Dallas, when I think RG3 was QBing ?
Yea, it was just 1 TD, but it was a beauty for 68 yards.

Last edited:
Irony is, we currently have 5 different receivers, taken from 5 different drafts of our own, still currently on our roster.
So, we've been far from busting lately.
It's just that no-one has broken away from the pack.
Just like our record, our drafted receivers are stuck in mediocrity.
I still say we draft one no lower than the 3rd round. You can't just give up, based on a historical trend, because historical trends in the NFL are far from an exact science.
Aldrick has moved on and had some success. I liked him when he was here, and thought he had potential. Remember that Thanksgiving game against Dallas, when I think RG3 was QBing ?

That's a very generous assessment Fear.

Niles Paul - non-factor who won't be on the roster in 2018 and hasn't done much of anything when he was.
Josh Doctson - nearly a non-factor even when starting. That could change. But if you have to grade him objectively so far as a 1st round pick he's a bust.
Robert Davis has yet to have a reception.
Only Crowder and Grant have been successful.

I agree (as I said above) that things have improved over the past 5 years, but that's still not impressive.

Both Robinson and Hankerson have had some success since moving on.

Well I think it's worthy of note that things very much appear to be gradually improving, in all areas. It's hard to doubt that.
The problem is, it's just not happening as rapidly as most of us fans want them to happen.

I think the receivers we have now and any others that are added will have a successful stint with Alex Smith at the helm.

Will the Redskins go against that previous history and grab a critically needed impact WR in the 2018 draft? History says no. But if they do, will they finally hit on someone special this time around?

It's hard to be hopeful.
I bring hope. We do not have this man

vinny-cerrato-012308_400x400.jpg

in the middle of decision making. I think the era from 1999 - 2013 can basically be thrown out. Cerrato truly did not know what he was doing. If there is any single reason to know - and I mean, almost unequivocally know something, as much as you can know anything - that Danny doesn't know how to run a sports team... this is it.

Well, even the Almighty Patriots, who so many people fawn over like they do everything perfectly, have not drafted many good receivers. Haven't almost all of their best WR's been drafted by someone else, and then acquired by other means?

1st round WR's are second only to QB's in difficulty to choose. And though there are always exceptions, it still takes 3yrs for receivers to make the transition to the NFL.

If we don't get a more serious commitment to the running game from our head coach, it won't matter a whole hell of a lot anyway.

Well, even the Almighty Patriots, who so many people fawn over like they do everything perfectly, have not drafted many good receivers. Haven't almost all of their best WR's been drafted by someone else, and then acquired by other means?

1st round WR's are second only to QB's in difficulty to choose. And though there are always exceptions, it still takes 3yrs for receivers to make the transition to the NFL.

If we don't get a more serious commitment to the running game from our head coach, it won't matter a whole hell of a lot anyway.

I think they've proven you don't need Larry Fitzgerald or Antonio Brown to be successful. They have been built through the idea it takes a whole team...of course lucky enough to have Tom Brady at the helm.

Every move they've made has had the benefit of being run through the "We Have Brady" filter.

Brady gets all the credit. But a closer and objective look shows Bellichek has a whole lot to do with it.
They are lucky to have each other. It's not one way, but both ways.
Even the greatest QB's, including Brady, can't win it all by themselves.
Look at Dan Marino.

Last edited:
You guys can put it solely through the Brady filter, but Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers could have succeeded in NE like Tom, but Tom would not have had more success than either of those QBs in their systems with the Colts and Packers.

So El - what exactly are you arguing, that any one of the 3 future HOF (and arguably 3 of the best QBs of all time) all could've had success in New England with marginal WRs?

Ummm...okay...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.