• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

The Washington Post just doesn't get it. They knock the Peterson signing because Adrian is not 'going to be a help in the passing game' and 'plays designed to get Smith out wide'.

What we have needed is not another back in the passing game, heck Chris Thompson has been one of the best in the NFL the past 2 years.

What we have needed is a back that run between the tackles and get 3-4-5 yards consistently without those minus-2 and minus-3 plays we saw much too much out of Perine and others last season.

It's really pretty simple. If the Redskins offense can get to third and two or three consisently we are going to be a good offensive team.

If we continue to face third and 8 or 9, we are going to be punting a lot more.

Of course, when AP is on the field, it's pretty much a guarantee he'll run. IF he gets the ball.
Gruden doesn't like to sacrifice anything having to do with the pass. So it's odd that he would voluntarily put his passing game into an 11 on 10 disadvantage.
Not sure AP will be an effective decoy. How does he rate in pass pro? I sure as hell don't know.

Of course, if you know me at all, you know I want him to be the comeback story of the year. If you wear the uniform, you're my guy.
1,000+yds.
10+TD's
SB MVP

Etc...

ESPN reporting AP to Skins on a 1 year deal.

Not sure how I feel about this.

Strikes me as the kinda move the Pats would make. Bring a player in for a year who might make a difference. If not, you shed.

It's a no-lose for the Redskins at this point. We don't have anyone with a legitimate NFL resume or uber-skills to rely on with the opener coming up and while we may be able to target a young back in the final cuts that can come in and compete or beat out the Perines or Marshalls, that player is going to be a backup in 2018 as he learns the league.

The Ringer's editorials went right to the 'Snyder is buying a name again' argument. But truthfully, this IS a lot like the Patriots going out and signing Junior Seau, James Harrison, Antowain Smith, or Brandon Browner in past seasons to fill in a spot where there is a glaring hole.

Perhaps our opening day opponent had something to do with his decision to sign here. Or was an added bonus.

I'm curious about this other RB we signed - De'Veon Smith.
Where's BB when you need him ? (I mean that in a friendly way)

Last edited:
Perhaps our opening day opponent had something to do with his decision to sign here. Or was an added bonus.

I'm curious about this other RB we signed - De'Veon Smith.
Where's BB when you need him ?

5' 10" 223 lb back from Michigan. UDFA, move to the practice squad for the Dolphins last year. Here's some info from Michigan's draft profile:

Who is De'Veon Smith? 5 things to know
1. In going to Michigan, he spurned his hometown team

Coming out of Howland High School in Warren, Ohio, Smith was a coveted prospect. 247Sports ranked him as the No. 209 player and No. 16 running back in his recruiting class, and he had offers from numerous schools, especially in the Big Ten.

Among the top-flight programs to offer Smith was Ohio State, the dominant university in his home state. But the running back spurned the Buckeyes, instead committing to Brady Hoke and the Wolverines.

Smith was one of several Ohioans in Michigan's 2013 recruiting class. Others included Taco Charlton and Jake Butt, who now join Smith as 2017 draft hopefuls.

2. Smith led the Wolverines in rushing for three straight seasons

Smith attended Michigan at a fairly tumultuous time for the program. In his four years, the Wolverines had two head coaches, three athletic directors and three starting quarterbacks.

But over Smith's final three seasons he provided a steady, reliable presence, giving Michigan great stability in the backfield. In 2014, with Devin Gardner as his quarterback, he led the Wolverines with 519 rushing yards. In 2015, with Jake Rudock as his quarterback, he led the Wolverines with 753 rushing yards. And in 2015, with Wilton Speight as his quarterback, he led the Wolverines with 846 rushing yards.

The one constant of Michigan football in recent years: De'Veon Smith as leading rusher.

Quietly, Smith worked his way up the list of Michigan greats. He finished his career ranked 20th in program history in both rushing yards and rushing touchdowns.

3. He's also an excellent pass-catcher

In his final two seasons at Michigan, Smith emerged as a productive receiver out of the backfield, catching a total of 35 passes for 225 yards and a touchdown.

In 2016, Smith caught at least two passes in six different games and tallied three receptions apiece in a key Big Ten win over Penn State and in Michigan's bowl loss to Florida State.

Smith's versatility should make him more appealing to NFL teams.

4. Top speed prevents Smith from ranking among the top backs in this draft class

At 5 feet 11 inches and 223 pounds, speed has never been Smith's strength. He'll find holes and break tackles, but he won't necessarily break away from defenders.

Here's what NFL.com Lance Zierlein wrote in the “weaknesses” section of Smith's scouting report:

Lacks pro acceleration needed to escape NFL linebackers to the edge. Play speed is below average. Sluggish to and through the line of scrimmage. Allows tacklers time to disengage and react to the run. Poses very little threat to take runs to the house. Hard-hat runner who lacks the wiggle or speed to create for himself. Needs it blocked up on first level to have an impact. Below average eluding tacklers in the hole.
In the NFL, Smith will likely be called on mostly in short yardage situations.

5. He has very high expectations for himself

Smith is expected to be a late-round pick at best, but that doesn't mean he has low expectations for his NFL career.

Back in January, at the Senior Bowl, Andy Staples of Sports Illustrated quoted a smiling Smith explaining his outlook heading into the draft.

“This process is still going until the day I get that Hall of Fame jacket,” Smith said. “Nothing is finished. You feel me?”

No one can say Smith lacks for confidence.

Peterson could give Guice some tips on recovering from ACL's

Ouch! But funny.

Let's look at the positive side of this: we're not looking at multiple known holes as in the past! We're focused on the running game, rightfully so, and maybe some aspects of blocking....but we're not being blistered daily with one problem after the next. We're younger, faster, more talented at the front end. Preseason suggests there is some drop-off at the back end of the roster. So, once again, injuries may be a big difference maker.

BGO!

Whoa. Welcome back, FS62.
Seems like it's been a while.

I needed a timeout. Time to reflect.

BGO is still the premier watering hole for Skins fans.

Thank you FTS. This site stands out among the best: the people who run it and the people who give it life as posters. It's a privilege to be back in this community.

Couple of things on AP that I was musing over this morning...

1) I do wonder if the Skins were looking to sign him, or if he made them an offer they couldn't turn down. The way I've been hearing it is that nothing is guaranteed till the season starts, so he has 2 pre season games to prove what he's got. With Guice coming back next year and a bunch of young RB's on the roster did he maybe bring up the 1 year deal?

The last couple of years has been pretty humbling for him, so maybe he was ready to walk in here and NOT demand to be top dog, have a starter role straight away and be paid tens of millions of dollars?

2) He apparently works out with Trent Williams and the two are good friends (according to Kiem) so I wonder how much Trent had to say either to Coaching staff about how AP looked while training and to AP about how ready he thinks this years team is to compete. Did he accept a team friendly deal because Trent mentioned that he could be in on something good this year?

No idea, total speculation on my part.

Either way the Skins had nothing to lose on this signing. Even if he shows only flashes of his previous all pro talent, he could still be a game changer on any given Sunday. And if not we're no worse than we were before we signed him.

However.... Does this spell the end for Perine or Bibbs? Or do they keep Peterson, Kelley, Thompson, Perine and Bibbs?

I heard Ray Rice was interested but he couldn't drag his wife to DC...............ba dump dump ching........I'll be here all week

Couple of things on AP that I was musing over this morning...

1) I do wonder if the Skins were looking to sign him, or if he made them an offer they couldn't turn down. The way I've been hearing it is that nothing is guaranteed till the season starts, so he has 2 pre season games to prove what he's got. With Guice coming back next year and a bunch of young RB's on the roster did he maybe bring up the 1 year deal?

The last couple of years has been pretty humbling for him, so maybe he was ready to walk in here and NOT demand to be top dog, have a starter role straight away and be paid tens of millions of dollars?

2) He apparently works out with Trent Williams and the two are good friends (according to Kiem) so I wonder how much Trent had to say either to Coaching staff about how AP looked while training and to AP about how ready he thinks this years team is to compete. Did he accept a team friendly deal because Trent mentioned that he could be in on something good this year?

No idea, total speculation on my part.

Either way the Skins had nothing to lose on this signing. Even if he shows only flashes of his previous all pro talent, he could still be a game changer on any given Sunday. And if not we're no worse than we were before we signed him.

However.... Does this spell the end for Perine or Bibbs? Or do they keep Peterson, Kelley, Thompson, Perine and Bibbs?

1) That's a hard one, but who knows... From what I've heard locally, we brought in 8 RBs over Sun / Mon and it was supposedly clear that A.P. was the best of the bunch as a package. I think Darkwa was the better 'prospect' but I would imagine the second it came up that he was a 1 year rental and that Guice was the future, he decided it was not for him. I heard on a local station that someone who was at the workout Monday with A.P. and 4 other backs, said the other 4 guys were gassed and A.P. barely broke a sweat after a 30 min workout. That he's just a physical freak. I think we honestly see him as the best option all around... including the fact that he's inexpensive and willing to play on a 1 year deal.

2) This may have been a factor. He told Larry Michael yesterday on Redskins that he told Trent this offseason that he wanted to come here and play with him. Now it's not lost on me that he's a free agent without any real demand at that point, so he wants to play anywhere with an NFL logo on the chest... but the idea that Trent may have nudged Jay a little bit is absolutely a possibility. It would also behoove the Redskins decision makers to reach out to Trent and the people they train with to see if he looks like he still has it. Youtube videos are cool, but does that type of intensity last the duration of the workout or was that the 2nd rep?

I hope it doesn't spell the end for Perine, I think he has the highest ceiling of anyone not named Chris Thompson in our backfield. I think last year the game was moving faster than Perine could comprehend and as the year went on he looked like it was slowing down for him. It's unfortunate he got injured because I think THIS game would have been a true test to see if he'd been able to take that next step. There IS a way we can keep 5 RBs, but I doubt it. That said... it might not be a bad idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.