• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

But the bottom-line to me and why that hooks into the current discussion is that Snyder is NOT likely to have done that here in the case of Smith.

I truly believe that the front office and coaching staff after discussing alternatives settled on Smith as a reasonable trade option that would allow the team to remain competitive and not have to start over from scratch again if we say waited to draft Mason Rudolph at #13 and had to wait 2-3 years for him to develop.

I don't think everyone was in a room chanting 'cumbaya' but I think the 'process' this time around was one drive by the FOOTBALL people and not by the owner or anyone else.

Do we have 100% visibility on that? No.

But it is a reasonable assumption based on the other moves that have been made. More conservative, football moves not impulsive moves borne of frustration which is a quality more attributable to fans and owners than veteran NFLers.

And no, I don't think Doug Williams is simply a mouthpiece for Bruce Allen.

After dealing what he dealt with in Tampa Bay and being perhaps the first high profile African-American quarterback in the NFL, I think Williams is the last person to sign up to simply be a shill or tool for Snyder or anyone else.

Williams admitted he doesn't make all of these decisions alone, it is a collaborative process.

But he is not simply the public front for someone else's agenda.

Why didn't people think that of Scot McCloughan when he arrived? Yes, he had prior GM experience but he also had personal demons that forced him from other jobs. Williams doesn't have that history and his place in the NFL in terms of playing history is already secure.

Last edited:
But the bottom-line to me and why that hooks into the current discussion is that Snyder is NOT likely to have done that here in the case of Smith.

I truly believe that the front office and coaching staff after discussing alternatives settled on Smith as a reasonable trade option that would allow the team to remain competitive and not have to start over from scratch again if we say waited to draft Mason Rudolph at #13 and had to wait 2-3 years for him to develop.

I don't think everyone was in a room chanting 'cumbaya' but I think the 'process' this time around was one drive by the FOOTBALL people and not by the owner or anyone else.

Do we have 100% visibility on that? No.

But it is a reasonable assumption based on the other moves that have been made. More conservative, football moves not impulsive moves borne of frustration which is a quality more attributable to fans and owners than veteran NFLers.

I agree with this, but they are so seemingly so fearful of being perceived as impulsive that they're unwilling to make moves that could be, and I assert should be, risks that need to be made.

2 examples in this free agency period:

Allen Robinson and Sheldon Richardson.

Both of these players are worth the contracts they received, if not a little more. We have the money for both, and the need at both positions. I understand frugality, but not at the expense of getting better. With the acquisition of either of these guys, we're a better team. Can you say the same about an unproven Paul Richardson with any certainty?

And here is a move I think we all can agree on was a solid move. Not signing Mo Wilkerson to the contract the Packers did was actually the correct move in my estimation. He's a head case and the type of move we're known to make in the past.

One more move I think could have been made that wasn't, and many will disagree with me, but Ndamukuh Suh is not going to break the bank on a one year deal...we could use a rotational player like a 31 year old Suh for a single season, he's still better than any DL we have except one. We're not winning a SB this year, so we are going to have to fill positions. At this time there really isn't any youngsters on the team who will "miss playing time" like you often suggest...which I agree with mostly. The Saints are not going to give him anything more than a 3 year contract with an option to get out of it early.

Colts just released DL Johnathan Hankins. Only 26, has had season highs of 30 tackles, 7 sacks in his best year. Former Giants player prior to going to Colts. May get some interest but wonder why Colts let him go?

I think it's good that Snyder has now stayed out of the decision making process for awhile. While bringing in Robinson would have been nice we still need other pieces. If he was the missing piece then by all means it would have been a bad decision not to bring him in but I think both him and Richardson have a lot of upside, albeit both have been injured.
Even though it's slower I like us not throwing money at every shiny object that comes along. As we have seen in the past bringing a guy like Robinson doesn't necessarily mean wins. He might not have wanted to be here anyway so throwing extra money to bring him in would have been a waste.
Do all our value picks work out? Nope just like the expensive picks won't all work out.
I think filling as many holes through free agency is a given drafting and trying to resign these players to get to a second contract is also important.
It does stink we couldn't get more of our 2014 draft class signed but it's also nice to see guys get some big contracts even though 2 have been voided.

Colts just released DL Johnathan Hankins. Only 26, has had season highs of 30 tackles, 7 sacks in his best year. Former Giants player prior to going to Colts. May get some interest but wonder why Colts let him go?

I think with the way Allen played last year they might be content to draft a D/L again in the draft wether in the 1st or second

They are dumping salary and his was set to escalate to 8 million guaranteed on Sunday. It's a cap cut.

And the part where Shanahan is forced to live with moving up to get RG3 against his will is absolute, total conjecture. It may be true, and it may also be a total fabrication. Yeah, given how things turned out, if I were Shanahan, I'd sure as hell be selling the idea that I had nothing to do with making that deal. And we all know that Mike Shanahan has no history in making all of his bad decisions someone else's fault, right? .

This is what drags me down throughout this ponderously long debate. I was just about to ask..."do we KNOW this for a fact?" when you chimed in.

I find it hard to believe.

He's (Shanny) always been adamant about 100% control and that was written into his contract here from what I recall. Since E is talking track records here, Shanahan has an entire career as evidence that he was big of a control freak as there ever was. That fact just doesn't mesh with the narrative that he was forced to do ANYTHING. I think the guy WAS all in on Griffin until he got to Washington and then things immediately soured when Griffin showed he wasn't going to be the type of player the Belichicks and Shanahans of the world want...the kind that does their job, and doesn't say much to the press or play the social media/attention whore game. Then study habits and other issues started to get leaked and it was all over, the line had been drawn in the sand and the team, the coach and the player all lost.

I agree with this, but they are so seemingly so fearful of being perceived as impulsive that they're unwilling to make moves that could be, and I assert should be, risks that need to be made.

2 examples in this free agency period:

Allen Robinson and Sheldon Richardson.

Both of these players are worth the contracts they received, if not a little more. We have the money for both, and the need at both positions. I understand frugality, but not at the expense of getting better. With the acquisition of either of these guys, we're a better team. Can you say the same about an unproven Paul Richardson with any certainty?

And here is a move I think we all can agree on was a solid move. Not signing Mo Wilkerson to the contract the Packers did was actually the correct move in my estimation. He's a head case and the type of move we're known to make in the past.

One more move I think could have been made that wasn't, and many will disagree with me, but Ndamukuh Suh is not going to break the bank on a one year deal...we could use a rotational player like a 31 year old Suh for a single season, he's still better than any DL we have except one. We're not winning a SB this year, so we are going to have to fill positions. At this time there really isn't any youngsters on the team who will "miss playing time" like you often suggest...which I agree with mostly. The Saints are not going to give him anything more than a 3 year contract with an option to get out of it early.

In theory I'm with ya but honestly potential headcase DT's is something I'd be about as gun shy as possible if I were working in this FO. Yes there's the obvious Haynesworth but it goes deeper than that with losers like Stubblefield and much as I hate to admit it Wilkinson et al. Just say no to headcase DT's who've proven they care more about money than winning.

Me too Boone. The guy is a beast run stuffer in a 3-4. The Colts used him incorrectly and his production dropped off. Sign him!

I think it's good that Snyder has now stayed out of the decision making process for awhile. While bringing in Robinson would have been nice we still need other pieces. If he was the missing piece then by all means it would have been a bad decision not to bring him in but I think both him and Richardson have a lot of upside, albeit both have been injured.

We could easily have had both, and need both. That means the cost is irrelevant. Money at the WR position in FA means draft is likely to target DL where we don't have to spend so much for the rookie contract, or vice versa if they'd gone after SHeldon Richardson.

But to believe acquiring a 3rd tie FA WR makes this team better, I'm sorry...that just isn't true. Look at how many 3rd tier WR's we've acquired through FA in the past 7 years, i.e., Andre Roberts.

OK, we didn't get Allen Robinson, why in the world would you not even consider bringing in Jordy Nelson? Alex Smith does not have enough weapons on offense and there is 2 top tier WR's off the board.

There is legitmacy to saving money, but you won't build a champion without some splashes...even the Patriots splash on top tier FA's.

But we could get him cheap! :highly_amused:

Suh belongs in prison. Pass

Robinson may not be the same. I'll take Richardson's speed.

And Shanny owns every effed up move during his reign. Guaranteed contracts eliminate being forced to do anything. If Shamahan, and then Gruden, both lacked the balls to use the power they had to do what they really wanted, that's on them. Not Snyder.

One thing we have to remember is The redskins are going to have to pick up the 5th year option on Scherff which will be around 13 million. With the deal Norwell got Scherff is probably better and will probably get a similar contract I imagine around the 13 million mark. He is a guy they will definatly need to keep

Just some food for thought

As CounterTrey said, they appear to be dumping salary - to what end, who knows?

One thing we have to remember is The redskins are going to have to pick up the 5th year option on Scherff which will be around 13 million. With the deal Norwell got Scherff is probably better and will probably get a similar contract I imagine around the 13 million mark. He is a guy they will definatly need to keep

Just some food for thought

And the salary cap will go up even higher. You have to pay certain players, Scherff is one of them. They will extend him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.