• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

While true, it also takes a trade down partner away from us too.

No guarantee a trade down deal could've been made, or if it had, that it's a net plus for us when picks are made.

No guarantee a trade down deal could've been made, or if it had, that it's a net plus for us when picks are made.

I understand. I don't have any faith in the Front Office either.

I think there are times when trade downs are genius, and times when you end up having to reach for players because the 1 or 2 you hoped would still be there got snagged. So I'd argue that trade downs are somewhat overrated. I don't fault teams for taking the risk and trading down, nor do I think they can be faulted when they don't. It's a crapshoot in terms of which approach turns out to be the wisest in a given draft. I am not sure the quality of the Front Office plays that big in a role in that particular calculation due to the unpredictability of drafts.

I think there are times when trade downs are genius, and times when you end up having to reach for players because the 1 or 2 you hoped would still be there got snagged. So I'd argue that trade downs are somewhat overrated. I don't fault teams for taking the risk and trading down, nor do I think they can be faulted when they don't. It's a crapshoot in terms of which approach turns out to be the wisest in a given draft. I am not sure the quality of the Front Office plays that big in a role in that particular calculation due to the unpredictability of drafts.

I think trade downs are awesome, if you can rip off your trade partner and find every diamond in the rough.

It's great to have more picks, but regardless of the number of picks, the quality of the player taken is most important. My dad always talks about trading down to get more picks, but he remembers the glory days of Bobby Bethard being able to get the best of the trade and the best player. The Redskins track record of taking players hasn't been fantastic lately. At best, it's a mixed review. So I'm not sure passing on a great player and trading down to get a couple of lesser players is the best option. Of course drafting a lesser player just because he's there isn't good either. As Boone said, it's a crapshoot and each draft is different. One year one way works best and the next, the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobby Beathard made plenty of stinker trades/picks.

Like trading the following year's 1st rd pick, to move up to the beginning of that year's 2nd round to select Tory Friggin Nixon.

Beathard had Gibbs & Co bail him out by getting above and beyond results with many of his later round picks.

DE Benson Mayowa and Hitchens.

Both Cowboys and rumored that the Redskins are interested in.

When was the last time signing ex-Cowboys panned out for this club?

Well ,let's see. There was.....................no that didn't work.
Oh yeah, there was.............................no that didn't work either.

Jack Kent Cooke hiring Norval was, hands down, the worst signing of a Cowboy........ever!

Why would anyone want to add a guy with these kinds of issues? This is the last kind of signing we need if you ask me.

Well, like I said I Would Pass (meaning on signing him). But if they did sign him to a low salary it wouldn't bother me as much as say - signing a guy for 3yr's/$90M fully guaranteed.

Well, like I said I Would Pass (meaning on signing him). But if they did sign him to a low salary it wouldn't bother me as much as say - signing a guy for 3yr's/$90M fully guaranteed.

Well - they must be seriously pursuing him - they bought him a big steak tonight. It kind of reminds me of the chick who thinks she's going to be the one to get handsome Rick to stop cheating and be faithful ... people are who they are. I'd much rather they were going hard after Sheldon Richardson who's a great player and doesn't have this kind of stank wafting off of him. Maybe it's much ado about nothing. Guess we may find out.

Okay according to spotrac it seems Reed is counting $10M against this years cap. Higher than what I was thinking actually. My question is if we were to cut him post June would we get that back? Or does the guaranteed $ count as dead cap?

As is it appears the skins are $20M under, before going grocery shopping.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/cap/

Last edited:

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings from BBQ. We hope your week is going well. The combine for 2018 has passed into the history books and we will have a prospects update on Thursday.

Free agency, the draft, and training camp will be here before you know it. March 14 will be here quickly as well and all the trades, re-signings, tags, releases, new free agents, and re-worked contracts will be known.

Who will we target in free agency? Who will we re-sign? Who will we not re-sign? Who will get released? Feel free to offer your opinions and predictions.

We take the latest chatter from Redskins Park and media pundits as BBQ tries to formulate what could happen in the coming days, weeks and months.

Free Agents Obtained:

Free Agents Re-signed:
Quinton Dunbar, CB/ST – (Signed Three Year Deal, 1/1/18)
Mason Foster, ILB – (Signed Two Year Deal, 1/25/18)
Deshazor Everett, SS/ST – (Signed Two Year Deal, 3/6/18)
Dustin Hopkins, K – (Signed Three Year Deal, 3/12/18)

Trade:
Alex Smith, QB
Kendall Fuller, CB (Traded to the Chiefs)

Restricted Free Agents:
Ty Nsehke, OT – Tendered (Second Round Tender, 3/12/18)

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:
Tyler Catalina, OG – (Very Likely Tendered)

Contract Extension:
Alex Smith, QB (Four Year Extension, Five Years Total)

Pending Free Agents:
Kirk Cousins, QB – (Sayonara)
Terrelle Pryor, WR – (Very Likely Walks)
Shawn Lauvao, OG – (Very Likely Walks)
Niles Paul, TE/ST – (Will Not Return)
Spencer Long, OG/C – (Very Likely Walks)
Ryan Grant, WR – (Unknown)
DeAngelo Hall, FS – (Very Likely Retires)
Arthur Jones, DT – (Probably Walks)
Zach Brown, ILB – (Possibly Walks)
Bashaud Breeland, CB – (Very Likely Walks)
Will Compton, ILB – (Very Likely Walks)
Trent Murphy, OLB – (Likely Walks)
Junior Galette, OLB – (Unknown)
Chris Carter, LB/ST – (Unknown)
Tony Bergstrom, C – (Very Likely Walks)
Brian Quick, WR – (Likely Walks)
Zach Vigil, ILB – (Possibly Re-signs)
Phil Taylor, DT – (Unknown)

Possible Release Candidates:
Keith Marshall, RB – (Cap Savings, $33K – Dead Cap, $538.6K)
Byron Marshall, RB – (Cap Savings, $630K – Dead Cap, $0)
Jordan Reed, TE – (Cap Savings, $5.2M – Dead Cap, $5.4M)
T.J. Clemmings, OT – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
Arie Kouandjio, OG – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
Demetrius Rhaney, C – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
A.J. Francis, DE – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
Su'a Cravens, SS – (Cap Savings, $1.36M – Dead Cap, $1.7M)

Offseason Updates:
Multiple reports suggest that the Redskins are looking to trade Su'a Cravens.

Kirk Cousins to the Vikings looks very likely now. Reports suggest he will get a fully guaranteed $90M contract for three years.

The Green Bay Packers are reported to have an interest in adding pending free agent Trent Murphy and a deal could be struck in the opening hours of free agency.

The new cap for 2018 is $177.2M.

As you know we ended the process of listing free agents from other teams, but this offseason is full of unpredictability. We will list some players of interest this year, but it won't be a comprehensive list and there is no way we can sign all of them.

Dion Lewis, RB
Isaiah Crowell, RB
Paul Richardson, WR
Donte Moncrief, WR
Josh Sitton, OG
Luke Joeckel, OG
Nigel Bradham, OLB
Dee Ford, OLB
Preston Brown, ILB
Demario Davis, ILB
Jon Bostic, ILB
Benson Mayowa, DE
Dontari Poe, DT
Sheldon Richardson, DT/DE
Muhammad Wilkerson, DE/DT
Bennie Logan, DE/DT
Beau Allen, DT
Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie, CB
Aaron Colvin, CB

This list will grow, shrink, and change quite a bit. Feel free to produce a list of your own – we look forward to it.

With the new extension for Alex Smith as he joins the Redskins, we have learned that the total deal is for five years (four year extension).

With Allen Robinson heading to the Chicago Bears and Sammy Watkins to the Chiefs, Paul Richardson becomes the top free agent wide receiver target of the Redskins according to John Keim.

J.P. Finlay believes the Redskins will be aggressive in free agency this year, a departure from the norm under Bruce Allen. Expect the targets to be players coming off of rookie deals and younger players.

Personal Thoughts:
While it is tough to lose Kendall Fuller, the quarterback position is now settled for the next few years. Kirk Cousins never had any intention of signing a long term deal here. It is time to move forward.

BBQ believes that if Su'a Cravens is not traded, Bruce Allen will hold on to him until the final cuts.

BBQ believes that a quarterback will be selected by the Redskins in the middle rounds of the upcoming draft.

See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

Last edited:
So now we're at the time when the pressure/reality sets in.

Spencer Long, one of the most underappreciated Skins players in recent memory, looks like he's leaving for greener pastures.

The Jags just paid a fortune for a G in FA. They're no longer cheap.

And the cost of doing business in the WR market has just shot through the roof.

Can Dan and Bruce pull through?

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/11aitZSSRhHYuQ" width="480" height="205" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/11aitZSSRhHYuQ">via GIPHY</a></p>

So now we're at the time when the pressure/reality sets in.

Spencer Long, one of the most underappreciated Skins players in recent memory, looks like he's leaving for greener pastures.

The Jags just paid a fortune for a G in FA. They're no longer cheap.

And the cost of doing business in the WR market has just shot through the roof.

Said it on Twitter - let's be honest - no matter what the Redskins do, they are going to get gutted by fans and media 'experts'. If they sign a big splash player (which by default means monumentally overpaying), they haven't learned from the past and are irresponsible. If they sign mid-tier players at a more reasonable cost, they are incompetent and it's proof that no good players want to come to DC.

We have a lot of FAs this year. Some have been re-signed, some we'll try to keep but lose out to bigger offers, and some we'll choose not to pursue. It happens every season, on every team. People will wring their hands. But the truth is, we'll have no idea if the decisions made are the right ones for quite awhile.

I don't believe the current FO is ever going to be a FA-heavy one. It's clear they prefer building primarily through the draft and I'm okay with that.

Said it on Twitter - let's be honest - no matter what the Redskins do, they are going to get gutted by fans and media 'experts'. If they sign a big splash player (which by default means monumentally overpaying), they haven't learned from the past and are irresponsible. If they sign mid-tier players at a more reasonable cost, they are incompetent and it's proof that no good players want to come to DC.

At least one local show will blame the lack of FA signings on the "mistreatment" of Kirk Cousins. Nevermind that almost every other team says the same things about their respective FO's.

Nick

I don't believe the current FO is ever going to be a FA-heavy one. It's clear they prefer building primarily through the draft and I'm okay with that.

Me too. I believe alot of Redskins fans have pined for this approach.

But, you have to have the foresight and ability to sign a small handful of key free agents to put you over the hump. With the way Bruce operates and his propensity to go bargain basement shopping, it makes you wonder about the decision making process.

Contrary to popular belief, I'm holding out hope that they nail this offseason: free agency and draft. But past experiences have me waiting for the foreboding doom to drop in some form or another.

I can't help it. I'm a Redskins fan.

I hear you guys. Here's the thing though - FA hasn't officially started. And if we are signing big names in the 24 hours leading up to it and even on the first day, more than likely, we are massively overspending. What I'm looking for is for us to sign guys still in the bottom half of their careers who can contribute at least as solid backups. I'll reserve judgment until I see where we end up. I'd have thrown some money at Spencer Long and Junior Galette though - we need guys like that and they would come *relatively* cheap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.