• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

To be fair no one hits or has hit like ST. He was country strong and hit bigger than his weight. That said, Derwin James has similar ball skills, instincts, and versatility to Sean. He has played probably half of the snaps that Sean did in college on slightly less talented teams. I made the comparison three years ago when he was a freshman and losing a season to a knee injury slowed his development some. He can play all over the field: inside, outside, close to the los and deep, and is a demon on the blitz. He is football smart, a student of the game, and a leader in the locker room. He will make some team one hell of a weapon.

He is not Sean Taylor, no one is, but he is a very talented and skilled facsimile.

Used to be that taking a safety early was unheard of in the NFL draft. I still think that, short of someone of ST's talent level, it's not an impactful enough position to use a 1st round pick on. That may be less true today than it used to be. But I'd still be surprised if we go safety that early.

Derwin James (6'1.75 215lbs)

40 yard dash- 4.47

Vertical Jump- 40”

Broad Jump- 11'

225 Bench- 21 reps

Minkah Fitzpatrick (6'0 204lbs)

40 yard dash- 4.47

Vertical Jump- 40”

Broad Jump- 10.1”

225 Bench- 14 reps

Last edited:
Derwin James (6'1.75 215lbs)

40 yard dash- 4.48

Vertical Jump- 40”

Broad Jump- 11'

225 Bench- 21 reps

Minkah Fitzpatrick (6'0 204lbs)

40 yard dash- 4.47

Vertical Jump- 40”

Broad Jump- 10.1”

225 Bench- 14 reps

I watched James much more than the kid from Alabama, but I still think James is the better S.

I watched James much more than the kid from Alabama, but I still think James is the better S.

Im not sure of the difference between the two other than size and strength but Fitzpatrick was a beneficiary of a better talent group on defense from front to back and had a head coach who gave a shit last season.

Jags reportedly NOT going to tag Allen Robinson as previously reported. Redskins need to go out and grab this kid. He's young, a #1 talent, and Alex Smith can make him a top 5 WR.

Do any of you think the Redskins would entertain the idea of trading Jordan Reed on draft day?

The guy is great when he's actually able to get on the field. But those times seem few and far between.

Do any of you think the Redskins would entertain the idea of trading Jordan Reed on draft day?

The guy is great when he's actually able to get on the field. But those times seem few and far between.

What would you accept for him?

If we know he's fragile then so does everyone else. He's a mostly unavailable first round talent. My guess is that we'd be able to get a 4th rounder at best. I'd rather roll the dice that he delivers a relatively healthy season than take that.

Last edited:
I'd trade him in a heartbeat. He's unable to play through even relatively minor injuries. And he's 1 big concussion away from retirement imho. If the Redskins had any sense, they'd get something for him while they still can. The idea that he's going to get out there and ever play even the majority of a future season is just wishful thinking in my opinion. Question is - are there teams out there that would give up something for him, likely being well aware of those issues?

And just seeing Chris' thoughts - my answer would be a third rounder.

Yes - when he's able to be out there relatively healthy, he's a first round talent, probably the best pass catching TE in the league today. But he can't be relied on to be available, so at some point all that talent is irrelevant.

Is there a reason he's falling?

He is not falling. DTs typically play no more than fifteen to eighteen snaps a game. Players going in the top fifteen play more and usually have a greater impact. Vea could be picked first overall or he could fall into the second round. Don't be surprised if it is the latter.

What would you accept for him?

If we know he's fragile then so does everyone else. He's a mostly unavailable first round talent. My guess is that we'd be able to get a 4th rounder at best. I'd rather roll the dice that he delivers a relatively healthy season than take that.

Maybe a deal with NE? How much longer will Gronk play? Probably this season but it seems doubtful, by his own words, that he'll play in 2019. Reed gets the advantage that he doesn't need to see as many snaps in 2018 and possibly that helps him staying healthy for a couple of seasons. A third from the Pats (31st) about the same as a high to mid 4th rounder. NE has 2 second round picks (11 & 31) but I don't see them giving up either of those.

Lamarcus Joyner will not be a target under any circumstances.

Thanks for the updates in this thread. I'm incredibly slammed right now so I don't have the time to look all over the internet.

It's appreciated.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings from BBQ. We hope your week is going well. The combine for 2018 has passed into the history books and we will have a prospects update on Thursday.

Free agency, the draft, and training camp will be here before you know it. March 14 will be here quickly as well and all the trades, re-signings, tags, releases, new free agents, and re-worked contracts will be known.

Who will we target in free agency? Who will we re-sign? Who will we not re-sign? Who will get released? Feel free to offer your opinions and predictions.

We take the latest chatter from Redskins Park and media pundits as BBQ tries to formulate what could happen in the coming days, weeks and months.

Free Agents Obtained:

Free Agents Re-signed:
Quinton Dunbar, CB/ST – (Signed Three Year Deal, 1/1/18)
Mason Foster, ILB – (Signed Two Year Deal, 1/25/18)

Trade:
Alex Smith, QB
Kendall Fuller, CB (Traded to the Chiefs)

Restricted Free Agents:
Ty Nsehke, OT – (Very Likely Tendered)
Deshazor Everett, SS/ST – (Very Likely Tendered)

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:
Tyler Catalina, OG – (Very Likely Tendered)

Contract Extension:
Alex Smith, QB (Four Year Extension, Five Years Total)

Pending Free Agents:
Kirk Cousins, QB – (Sayonara)
Terrelle Pryor, WR – (Very Likely Walks)
Shawn Lauvao, OG – (Very Likely Walks)
Niles Paul, TE/ST – (Unknown)
Spencer Long, OG/C – (Probably Walks)
Ryan Grant, WR – (Unknown)
DeAngelo Hall, FS – (Very Likely Retires)
Arthur Jones, DT – (Probably Walks)
Zach Brown, ILB – (Unknown)
Bashaud Breeland, CB – (Possibly Walks)
Will Compton, ILB – (Unknown)
Trent Murphy, OLB – (Likely Walks)
Junior Galette, OLB – (Unknown)
Chris Carter, LB/ST – (Unknown)
Tony Bergstrom, C – (Very Likely Walks)
Brian Quick, WR – (Likely Walks)
Zach Vigil, ILB – (Possibly Re-signs)
Phil Taylor, DT – (Unknown)
Dustin Hopkins, K – (Very Likely Re-signs)

Possible Release Candidates:
Keith Marshall, RB – (Cap Savings, $33K – Dead Cap, $538.6K)
Byron Marshall, RB – (Cap Savings, $630K – Dead Cap, $0)
Jordan Reed, TE – (Cap Savings, $5.2M – Dead Cap, $5.4M)
T.J. Clemmings, OT – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
Arie Kouandjio, OG – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
Demetrius Rhaney, C – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
A.J. Francis, DE – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
Su'a Cravens, SS – (Cap Savings, $1.36M – Dead Cap, $1.7M)

Offseason Updates:
Multiple reports suggest that the Redskins are looking to trade Su'a Cravens.

Kirk Cousins to the Vikings looks very likely now. Reports suggest he will get a fully guaranteed $91M contract for three years.

The Green Bay Packers are reported to have an interest in adding pending free agent Trent Murphy and a deal could be struck in the opening hours of free agency.

The new cap for 2018 is $177.2M.

As you know we ended the process of listing free agents from other teams, but this offseason is full of unpredictability. We will list some players of interest this year, but it won't be a comprehensive list and there is no way we can sign all of them.

Dion Lewis, RB
Isaiah Crowell, RB
Sammy Watkins, WR
Allen Robinson, WR
Paul Richardson, WR
Josh Sitton, OG
Greg Robinson, OT/OG
Luke Joeckel, OG
Dee Ford, OLB
Demario Davis, ILB
Jon Bostic, ILB
Bennie Logan, DE/DT
Beau Allen, DT
Aaron Colvin, CB
Kyle Fuller, CB

This list will grow, shrink, and change quite a bit. Feel free to produce a list of your own – we look forward to it.

With the new extension for Alex Smith as he joins the Redskins, we have learned that the total deal is for five years (four year extension).

Rich Tandler believes Bennie Logan is a primary target in free agency.

J.P. Finlay thinks wide receiver Allen Robinson could be a priority target in free agency. If there is mutual interest, then it will depend on the numbers as the Redskins will offer only so much.

J.P. Finlay also believes the Redskins will be aggressive in free agency this year, a departure from the norm under Bruce Allen. Expect the targets to be players coming off of rookie deals and younger players.

Personal Thoughts:
While it is tough to lose Kendall Fuller, the quarterback position is now settled for the next few years. Kirk Cousins never had any intention of signing a long term deal here. It is time to move forward.

BBQ believes that if Su'a Cravens is not traded, Bruce Allen will hold on to him until the final cuts.

BBQ believes that a quarterback will be selected by the Redskins in the middle rounds of the upcoming draft.

See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

EDIT:
Niles Paul was a FA. He was told he wouldn't be back.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Stayed down, played my role, & always put the team before myself. Shit wild, but I don't even know why I'm acting surprised</p>— Niles Paul (@NilesP_) <a href="https://twitter.com/NilesP_/status/971437228634329088?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 7, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
Niles Paul seemed like a good man and a solid citizen. He was a Swiss-army-knife type of player who noticeably lacked a defining skill that couldn't be lived without. He very well could be a glue guy that a better roster could afford to keep around due to the value of his intangibles. But, this team? I'm having a hard time generating any emotion over the news. Responders on social media are acting as if we cut Ryan Kerrigan. I don't get it. Shit wild.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.