• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

What's your guys/gals thoughts on Tim Settle, DT out of Virginia Tech?

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 1-2
SOURCES TELL US "I need to watch him more but Bud (Foster) moved him around and I saw a guy who can play both nose spots, 3 (technique), 4i, and maybe 5. Reminds me of when (Dontari) Poe came out. He ain't Poe, but he can play all over the line like Poe could." -- AFC defensive line coach
NFL COMPARISON Vince Wilfork
BOTTOM LINE Settle has rare gifts for a big man with good mass, play strength, quickness, and agility. His substantial jump in production in 2017 was due to weight loss and additional conditioning that allowed him to play more snaps and play faster. He's a disruptive, versatile defensive lineman who offers enough pass rush potential to warrant reps on passing downs. Settle is a natural 4-3 fit but can play in a 3-4 as well. He has the potential to become a very good starter with a Pro Bowl ceiling if he controls his weight and maintains his conditioning.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tim-settle?id=2560190

I don't watch VT football :)

Here are some additional profiles on the guy though:

DraftWire
Tim Settle | DL | Virginia Tech
Height | 6-3
Weight | 335
Class | Sophomore

It's rare that someone of Settle's size can be considered one of the most impressive athletes in the nation, but he's the exception. A massive force at the point of attack, Settle's rare explosiveness, balance and agility for his size makes him one of this year's most intriguing prospects in a deep defensive line class. A productive defender who racked up nearly 20 tackles for loss for the Hokies over the past two seasons, Settle is a perfect nose tackle prospect who can eat up space and anchor against the run, but also collapse the pocket and force opposing quarterbacks to look for greener pastures. If he's still on the board when Day 3 rolls around, he'll be a huge steal. Current draft projection: Day 2

DraftBlaster
A proven pass rusher that so far has shown to best fit as a 4-3 tackle in an attacking defensive scheme. Productive shooting the gaps and overpowering offensive linemen, he had 12.5 TFL's and 4 sacks last year, even though seeing a lot of extra attention in the form of double teams. Strong against the run, but was not in 2-gap responsibilities enough to truly show his run stopping capabilities.

247Sports
Since declaring his intentions to enter the 2018 NFL Draft as a redshirt sophomore, Virginia Tech defensive tackle Tim Settle has seen his stock steadily climb. Recently, the 6-foot 3-inch 335-pounder received his pre-combine NFL.com grade and analysis.
Settle was given a grade of 6.17, which equates to a player that “should become an instant starter” in the National Football League. Settle has rare gifts for a big man with good mass, play strength, quickness, and agility. His substantial jump in production in 2017 was due to weight loss and additional conditioning that allowed him to play more snaps and play faster. He's a disruptive, versatile defensive lineman who offers enough pass rush potential to warrant reps on passing downs. Settle is a natural 4-3 fit but can play in a 3-4 as well. He has the potential to become a very good starter with a Pro Bowl ceiling if he controls his weight and maintains his conditioning.

Settle's NFL.com draft projection: Rounds 1-2

I think the biggest factor that might get in the way of him ending up in B&G is that he'd likely be a reach in Round 2, and he won't be there by round 4. If we had a 3rd round pick I'd think it might be more likely. I know some of the draft profiles list him as a possible 1st or 2nd rounder, but until the past month or so he was more commonly listed as a 3rd or 4th round prospect. I'm always wary of guys whose stock climbs sharply right before the draft.

Last edited:
I don't think there's any way we go OL with pick 13. Just don't see it personally... Who is the guy in this draft that you think is so good it would entice them to go that high for an O lineman Ryan? Now if there was a dominant LT available and they were worried about Trent Williams health (or were drafting his successor) I'd think it were more likely - but I don't sense we're at that point with him yet, are we?

The ONLY guard I see coming close would be Quenton Nelson & there's no way he lasts to 13 unless Bruce starts a marijuana rumor or something. Now if QN is there the skins reps need to have Crowder at the ready to sprint that pick ticket to the podium.

For those wanting a proven RB who's an absolute workhorse, it sounds like Lamar "4 ypc" Miller will be available. And he's only 26 yrs old....

For those wanting a proven RB who's an absolute workhorse, it sounds like Lamar "4 ypc" Miller will be available. And he's only 26 yrs old....

He's played a full 6 seasons - so 'only 26' is misleading. Lot of wear on that 26 year old especially given he's just 5'11, 215 who's already carried the rock nearly 1200 times in the NFL. I don't want the Redskins to continue adding players whose best years are behind them - and there's no doubt that's the case with Miller.

I'd really like us to use one of our first 2 picks on a difference-making RB. But my gut tells me we won't, and that's primarily because Gruden only pays lip service to a serious running game. I'd like to believe that will change, but my common sense says it won't.

Just out of curiousity, I looked back at Clinton Portis #'s. Same size RB as Miller. After his first 6 seasons, he had a single 1000 yard rushing season before injuries and diminishing returns hit for his final 2 years. Now Portis had significantly more runs his first 6 seasons (2 in Denver, 4 in DC) topping 1700 carries. But I think the mileage on Miller would be a significant concern.

Well here's the thing. We already have our back up against the wall having lost a 2nd (to replace Fuller) and our third round pick in the trade for Smith.

At best, we're looking at a top draft grade of C+ for the year in terms of being able to add better players than we had last season.

So we have a serious decision to make. Either use the first rounder on a RB, trot out another fourth rounder at the RB position and pray he works, or sign a RB in FA.

I'd love a top RB in the draft, but this might not be our year for that.

Miller may not be Todd Gurley, but he can carry the load on first and second downs, he can also catch out of the backfield, he still has a lot of speed and he rarely fumbles. He's always near the top of the league in that category.

Perfect? No. But he's the first FA I've seen that interests me even a little. We could do a lot worse.

I suppose it's also possible that Bruce and Dan might be able to rob another team for a RB much like Philly robbed the Dolphins in the trade for Jay Ajayi last season.

Monkeys might also fly out of my ass:)

We're going to have to hit FA for an immediate starter this season. RB, secondary....somewhere for sure.

Our problem last year wasn't a lack of talent - it was inability to keep talent on the field. Not like the team needs a total rebuild. Gets tiresome hearing some of you guys talk as if we're the Browns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our problem last year wasn't a lack of talent - it was inability to keep talent on the field. Not like the team needs a total rebuild. Gets tiresome hearing some of you guys talk as if we're the Browns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think our roster is slightly above average. I too, believe our biggest problem last year was health.

But here's how we go into the draft:

Minus a 3rd rounder.

Likely minus the equivalent of a 2nd rounder. Recall that Fuller was a certain first round CB prior to his injury the final year in college. We got a steal on him.....really sacrificing his first season in the belief that he could return to top form after recovering from his injury.

That's a 2nd and 3rd gone this year to equal the talent we had on the roster last season. And that's if the second hits on a player as good as Fuller.

That leaves us with our 1st, 4th and beyond to really improve our talent on the roster. To have more talent than we had at the beginning of last season--before the injuries.

Which is why I believe we need to land a starter in FA this season--maybe two of them. RB, secondary and WR look like obvious possibilities.

On a similar note.......Terrelle Pryor. What's the deal?

Do we bring him back or not?

Do we send him packing and hope to get an Allen Robinson or Donte Moncrief to come in?

Not sure where you get the idea we have to go CB at #2 . And remember, Moreau was rated as a 1st rounder before getting hurt, too.
Good chance of getting a quality RB at #2 .

Of course, if he doesn't come with instructions, Gruden won't know what the hell to do with him anyway.

We'll definitely go with a CB in either the first or second round now. That should have been obvious the second Kendall Fuller's name was included in the trade.

Andy Reid thinks so highly of him that they just let arguably the best CB in the league go--a player that Fuller will now replace.

We've also just given Breeland all of the leverage in negotiations for a return. He can name his price. And if we let him walk, we'll be using two picks on CBs this draft.

That means the most likely scenario is filling the RB position with a Crowell or Miller in FA, or rolling the dice on a fourth rounder going forward.

They may go CB early. But they don't have to. IMHO. Could be a BPA pick.

If we can re-sign Breeland at a reasonable cost, we don't have to draft a CB at all. Unless it's BPA somewhere the 3rd day.

I hated to lose Fuller too. But some people act like we gave up Sean Taylor, Darrell Green, and 2 future 1st round picks.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone in BGO land.

Today we bring you another guest mock from Redskins fan and Breaking Football analyst, Zach Hicks. Last week, Redskins Capital Connection's Robbie Duncan gave us some great insights into his guest mock. Zach has graciously given some of his time to present us with a superb mock for this week. He is the host of “Locked on Redskins” podcast and co-host of “Breaking the Draft” podcast. Zach also posts a daily Redskins mock at NFL Daily Mock Draft. Whew! Zach is passionate about the Redskins and he has great information on our favorite team.

BBQ hopes you are enjoying these guest mocks. Next week we will feature another surprise guest.

You can find Breaking Football at breakfootball.com and on twitter at @Breaking_FB. Zach provides them with analysis, mock drafts, and insights to the Redskins. NFL Daily Mock Draft can be found at DailyMockDraft.com and on twitter at @NFLDailyMock. Here is the link to his past and present “Locked on Redskins" podcasts: https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/PPY5160490036?selected=LKN3360417088
You can find Zach on twitter at @ZachHicks2 and we recommend him and last week's guest, @RobbieDuncanOL as follows.

I hope you appreciate the time and effort he put into this entry on our behalf. His mock is presented here in our format with no editing from me. However, Zach is very busy and BBQ has added brief comments after each player he mocked. I know you will like his recommended players. I certainly do.

FYI – we hope to have several more guests over the next month or so with their mocks each week. We will have a free agency update tomorrow and a prospect update on Thursday. Another BBQ mock arrives on Friday.

Let's get right to Zach's mock.

2018 Redskins Draft:

Round One: Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama:
BBQ's Comment: Evans is a talented ILB who is capable of starting the first game of 2018.

Round Two: Sony Michel, RB, Georgia:
BBQ's Comment: The Redskins know they need a capable first and second down back.

Round Four: R.J. McIntosh, DL, Miami:
BBQ's Comment: Strengthening the defensive line should be a priority this offseason.

Round Five: D.J. Chark, WR, Louisiana St.:
BBQ's Comment: Highly underrated receiver who could shine in his first year.

Round Six: Colby Gossett, OG, Appalachian St.:
BBQ's Comment: A project who would likely need a year to learn from Bill Callahan, but has a bright future.

Round Seven: Greg Stroman, CB, Virginia Tech:
BBQ's Comment: Some have him rated higher and some have him rated lower, but he is an ideal candidate to develop in the right way by Torrian Gray.

Round Seven: Quadree Henderson, WR, Pittsburgh:
BBQ's Comment: Taking another receiver in the draft is probably a good idea and Henderson could surprise in 2018.

Thanks to Zach for providing us with a great mock to start the week. We will have a guest mock again next week from another expert. BBQ hopes you like these perspectives from Redskins draft and free agent gurus.

Tomorrow we will have a free agency update. Thursday will bring a prospects list update. We return Friday with a new mock.

Hail To The Redskins!

Last edited:
We'll definitely go with a CB in either the first or second round now. That should have been obvious the second Kendall Fuller's name was included in the trade.

Andy Reid thinks so highly of him that they just let arguably the best CB in the league go--a player that Fuller will now replace.

We've also just given Breeland all of the leverage in negotiations for a return. He can name his price. And if we let him walk, we'll be using two picks on CBs this draft.

That means the most likely scenario is filling the RB position with a Crowell or Miller in FA, or rolling the dice on a fourth rounder going forward.

One thing is true every single NFL season, but we act like we have no understanding of it. You aren't going to fill every need in a single offseason. Not. Ever. When you look at all the holes we have (#1WR, #1RB , Safety, DL, LB, CB are the most pressing imho), you have to keep a couple things in mind. Firstly, we aren't going to fill all those needs with starters in a single offseason :) Secondly, our perceptions of what critical needs are do not necessarily equate to the team's assessment. I've heard rumblings, for example, that the team doesn't think it needs to draft a top RB. Mike - you're stating emphatically that it's obvious we will draft CB in the first 2 rounds. But the team may well believe Moreau and/or some of the other youngsters can step up. Btw - the team won't keep Breeland regardless of the Fuller loss unless he a) can be resigned at a reasonable cost, and b) they feel he can get a grip on his immaturity and mental issues. I think if we're fortunate, we'll fill 3-4 needs in this offseason. We've already taken care of the most important hole - QB. Even with losing Fuller, that was a net gain for the team, a huge positive. Quite possible we draft a CB, especially if one of the top 2 or 3 drop to us.

Nice job Zach, and welcome to the site!

I've seen several analysts now compare Sony Michel to Alvin Kamara. Which would obviously be huge.

Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

If we can re-sign Breeland at a reasonable cost, we don't have to draft a CB at all. Unless it's BPA somewhere the 3rd day.

There's not going to be anything reasonable about Breeland's contract. He is testing FA.

In a perfect world, we would have either a) kept Fuller on a cheap rookie contract and have let Breeland walk, or b) have signed Breeland prior to trading Fuller.

But that involves foresight. We don't operate like that. Now he holds all of the cards.

There's not going to be anything reasonable about Breeland's contract. He is testing FA.

In a perfect world, we would have either a) kept Fuller on a cheap rookie contract and have let Breeland walk, or b) have signed Breeland prior to trading Fuller.

But that involves foresight. We don't operate like that. Now he holds all of the cards.

OMG - Breeland holds all the cards?!!!

You're right - Breeland wants to get paid big. And you know what, the Redskins won't be the team to over pay. How is that a bad thing?

Breeland's a total mental midget, and if we're being honest, a very inconsistent player. Physically talented, but generally poor instincts and a diva on top of that. If we hadn't given up Fuller, we'd be talking about what in God's name this team is going to do at QB - which is a far bigger problem than needing to fill a hole at CB.

One thing is true every single NFL season, but we act like we have no understanding of it. You aren't going to fill every need in a single offseason. Not. Ever. When you look at all the holes we have (#1WR, #1RB , Safety, DL, LB, CB are the most pressing imho), you have to keep a couple things in mind. Firstly, we aren't going to fill all those needs with starters in a single offseason :) Secondly, our perceptions of what critical needs are do not necessarily equate to the team's assessment. I've heard rumblings, for example, that the team doesn't think it needs to draft a top RB. Mike - you're stating emphatically that it's obvious we will draft CB in the first 2 rounds. But the team may well believe Moreau and/or some of the other youngsters can step up. Btw - the team won't keep Breeland regardless of the Fuller loss unless he a) can be resigned at a reasonable cost, and b) they feel he can get a grip on his immaturity and mental issues. I think if we're fortunate, we'll fill 3-4 needs in this offseason. We've already taken care of the most important hole - QB. Even with losing Fuller, that was a net gain for the team, a huge positive. Quite possible we draft a CB, especially if one of the top 2 or 3 drop to us.

I agree that we can't fill all of the holes in one season. Especially not with trading away high draft picks. Which is why we'll be more active in FA than during the McLovin years.

I haven't seen it discussed here, but there were certainly other options at QB. Hopefully Smith turns out to have been the right one.

As it stands now, the possibility of Norman on one side, Dunbar on the other, and Moreau in the slot is a very real one.

And if a team lines up with 4 WRs? Or if we suffer an injury back there?

DL in the first, CB in the second is my prediction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.