• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

Seems to be a shift toward Vita from many pundits over the last few days. Not sure I a agree. We will find out tomorrow night.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone in BGO land and guests from social media – we hope you become a member here.

Today we bring you our latest mock of the 2018 off-season and there are several changes. The draft arrives tomorrow and the Redskins are evaluating many prospects in these remaining hours. This week we are posting a mock each day, including latter round mocks Friday and Saturday morning.

The format for the mocks this off-season will feature shorter descriptions this year for each player. Time constraints from the fall and early winter have forced us to cram a lot of research into a smaller period of time.

Feel free to offer your own ideas about the draft, free agency, team cuts, team additions, and anything else related to these subjects. Too, we'd like to see your mocks if you are so inclined.

An extra note: These mocks may not necessarily be what BBQ wants or what the members at BGO may prefer. These mocks are designed to try and get into the minds of the Redskins brain trust and see what they will do.

Without any further delays, let's take a look at the latest mock of 2018.

Team Needs:
Running Back
Wide Receiver
Tight End (?)
Left Guard
Defensive Tackle
Inside Linebacker (?)
Strike or Free Safety (?)

Round One: Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB/SS/FS, Alabama
Last year a special player from Alabama magically dropped to the Redskins in round one. Could it happen again?
Other Possible Targets:
Leighton Vander Esch, OLB, Boise St.
Da'Ron Payne, DT/DE, Alabama
Derrius Guice, RB, Louisiana St.
Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia
Derwin James, FS, Florida St.
Vita Vea, DT, Washington
Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College

Round Two: Ronald Jones, RB, Southern California
The Redskins can't continue to rely on mid round prospects at running back and this is the year when the Redskins make a firm commitment to the running back corps.
Other Possible Targets (Including Third Round Choices If Acquired):
Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama
Will Hernandez, G, Texas-El Paso
Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego St.
Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia
Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
Josh Sweat, OLB, Florida St.
Billy Price, OG/C, Ohio St.
Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
Marcus Davenport, OLB, Texas-San Antonio
Harrison Phillips, DE/DT, Stanford (3rd)
Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan (3rd)
Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn St. (3rd)
Malik Jefferson, ILB, Texas (3rd)
Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota St. (3rd)
Duke Ejiofor, DE/OLB, Wake Forest (3rd)
Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georgia (3rd)
Andrew Brown, DE, Virginia (3rd)

Round Four: Nathan Shepherd, DT, Fort Hays St.
Matt Ioannidis turned out to be a huge steal in the fifth round two years ago. Shepherd will turn out to be a huge steal in the fourth round this year.
Other Possible Targets:
Dante Pettis, WR, Washington
Scott Quessenberry, C, UCLA
Braden Smith, OG, Auburn
Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame
Uchenna Nwosu, OLB, Southern California
Frank Ragnow, OC/OG, Arkansas
D.J. Chark, WR, Louisiana St.
Quenton Meeks, CB, Stanford
Wyatt Teller, OG, Virginia Tech
B.J. Hill, DT, North Carolina St.
Kyzir White, SS, West Virginia
Desmond Harrison, OT, West Georgia

Round Five: Folorunso Fatukasi, DT/DE, Connecticut
A middle round prospect who was a defensive tackle for the Huskies, but could also see time at end on the next level.
Other Possible Targets:
Da'Shawn Hand, DT, Alabama
Tim Settle, DT, Virginia Tech
Korey Robertson, WR, Southern Mississippi
Josh Adams, RB, Notre Dame
Daurice Fountain, WR, Northern Iowa
Siran Neal, SS/FS/CB, Jacksonville St.
Fred Warner, OLB, Brigham Young
R.J. McIntosh, DE/DT, Miami

Round Five: Nick Nelson, CB, Wisconsin
A first round talent dropped to the Redskins in round three last year due to injury. He is slated to have a greater role this season. Nelson had an injury earlier this month and it is expected to have an effect on his rookie season. History repeats itself and the Redskins add future talent.

Round Six: Cole Madison, OG, Washington St.
The Redskins add depth to the line. Madison will need time to adjust to the NFL, but could be a starter in a year or two. Quality depth.
Other Possible Targets:
Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado St.
Oren Burks, ILB, Vanderbilt
Sean Welsh, G/C, Iowa
David Wells, TE, San Diego St.
Micah Kiser, ILB, Virginia
Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa
Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin
Du'Vonta Lampkin, DT, Oklahoma
Bo Scarbrough, RB, Alabama

Round Seven: Darren Carrington, WR, Utah
Carrington has the talent to go higher in the draft, but comes with a couple of off the field issues. He was a model citizen since and could be a risk-high reward player.
Other Possible Targets:
Greg Stroman, CB, Virginia Tech
Taylor Hearn, OG, Clemson
Tre Flowers, S, Oklahoma State
Auden Tate, WR, Florida St.
Will Dissly, TE, Washington
Kentavius Street, DL, NC State
Arden Key, OLB, Louisiana St.
Logan Woodside, QB, Toledo
Troy Apke, FS, Penn St.
Brad Bozeman, C, Alabama
Quin Blanding, SS, Virginia

Round Seven: Deon Yelder, TE, Western Kentucky
Guess who will not be ready for OTAs? Or mini-camp? Or possibly training camp? Maybe the 2018 season? Guess who may move on from that player?

Undrafted Free Agent Prospects:
Andrew Trumbetti, OLB, Notre Dame
Jester Weah, WR, Pittsburgh
Jake Wieneke, WR, South Dakota St.
Evan Berry, KR/FS, Tennessee
Austin Golson, C, Auburn
Brandon Facyson, CB, Virginia Tech
Lowell Lotulelei, DT, Utah
Jordan Thomas, CB, Oklahoma
Teo Redding, WR, Bowling Green
Mike Love, DE/OLB, South Florida
Dorian O'Daniel, ILB, Clemson
Coleman Shelton, OG/C, Washington
Rashard Fant, CB, Indiana
Ito Smith, RB, Southern Mississippi
Nick Keizer, TE, Grand Valley St.
Quadree Henderson, WR, Pittsburgh
Eddy Peneiro, K, Florida
Cam Sergine, TE, Wake Forest
K.C. McDermott, G/OT, Miami
Drew Bailey, DE/DT, Louisville
Chase Litton, QB, Marshall
Robert Torgerson, DE, Southern Utah
Cody O'Connell, OG, Washington St.
Jeb Blazevich, TE, Georgia

There is the latest mock of the 2018 off-season. The draft will be here tomorrow. See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

Tremaine Edmunds from VT is he as good as from some reports say? I see several mocks have us taking him.

Looking forward to tomorrow night. It is like Christmas for football fans. Got my adult beverages and snacks ready to enjoy.

Edmunds is certainly a good prospect and could have a great career, but he is something of a project. He could be no more than a special teams standout his first year or two. There is a chance of bust potential.

Edmunds is to linebackers what Moses is to the offensive line. I think 13 might be a little high. I'm thinking he could be available late second early third. Of course everyone expects draft picks to instantly produce but he is a guy that doesn't have to start but could be a solid LB for years
The flip side is like every draft pick he could be a huge bust

If we were to trade down and New England could trade with us for Lamar Jackson we would get their first second and third. I would take a chance that he is there bottom of the second
That would leave us with plenty of options and Maurice hurst would be available at the 23 I think top ten talent that will most likely drop to a heart condition that may or may not effect him
As far as I know hasn't affected him yet

I know it may come down to simply who is left when we pick at #13 , but if I had my choice I want Derwin James rather than Minkah Fitzpatrick. From what I have seen from James he is as close to a no-miss prospect at safety as we have seen in some time.

If this team had more picks and/or we had a better overall team, I might be aggressive enough to move up to 10 or 11 to ensure I secured James for us.

I just see him as a perennial pro bowl player who helps anchor a secondary that wins.

As an impact player, somewhere along the lines of an Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu.

I know it may come down to simply who is left when we pick at #13 , but if I had my choice I want Derwin James rather than Minkah Fitzpatrick. From what I have seen from James he is as close to a no-miss prospect at safety as we have seen in some time.

If this team had more picks and/or we had a better overall team, I might be aggressive enough to move up to 10 or 11 to ensure I secured James for us.

I just see him as a perennial pro bowl player who helps anchor a secondary that wins.

As an impact player, somewhere along the lines of an Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu.

I would rather have James too, but I doubt he makes it past the Bucs. They only scout the state of Florida for their drafts. But hey, maybe he falls like Allen last year.

I had a dream last night/early this morning that we traded with New England for their two #1's (probably due to BB's Mock yesterday) and we took Ridley and Guice, TWO skill position players. Puzzled the heck out of me. What in the world is going on in my subconscious mind?

It's hard to tell who this team will pick honestly. I atleast HOPE that one of our first two rounders gets us a true NT. Damn this team for not going logical umpteen years ago with the 3-4 switch. Get that dominant NT and build around him.

I want the Vita, but will be happy with Payne or Settle, don't care as long as we get a quality guy there. If we don't go DL until the 4th or later I'm going to go back to head butting kittens.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone in BGO land and guests from social media – we hope you become a member here.

Today we bring you our final full mock of the 2018 off-season and there are several changes, including a trade. The draft arrives in a few hours and the Redskins are evaluating many prospects in these remaining minutes. Tomorrow and Saturday will bring latter round mocks. The wait is nearly over.

Feel free to offer your own ideas about the draft, free agency, team cuts, team additions, and anything else related to these subjects. Too, we'd like to see your last minute mocks if you are so inclined.

An extra note: These mocks may not necessarily be what BBQ wants or what the members at BGO may prefer. These mocks are designed to try and get into the minds of the Redskins brain trust and see what they will do.

Without any further delays, let's take a look at the last full mock of 2018.

Team Needs:
Running Back
Wide Receiver
Tight End (?)
Left Guard
Defensive Tackle
Inside Linebacker (?)

Round One: Trade
The Ravens and Cardinals are focused on quarterbacks and a small bidding war ensues. The Cardinals prevail and offer their third and sixth rounders. The Redskins accept.

Round One: Da'Ron Payne, DT/DE, Alabama
Payne is the space eating defensive tackle that Jim Tomsula has been coveting since his arrival at Redskins Park, but the Crimson Tide prospect can play all along the line.
Other Possible Targets:
Leighton Vander Esch, OLB, Boise St.
Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB/SS/FS, Alabama
Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia
Derwin James, FS, Florida St.
Vita Vea, DT, Washington

Round Two: Derrius Guice, RB, Louisiana St.
The Redskins can't continue to rely on mid round prospects at running back and this is the year when the Redskins make a firm commitment to the running back corps.
Other Possible Targets:
Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama
Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego St.
Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia
Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
Billy Price, OG/C, Ohio St.
Ronald Jones, RB, Southern California

Round Three: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn St.
Guess who will not be ready for OTAs? Or mini-camp? Or possibly training camp? Maybe the 2018 season? Guess who may move on from that player?
Other Possible Targets:
Harrison Phillips, DE/DT, Stanford
Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan
Malik Jefferson, ILB, Texas
Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota St.
Duke Ejiofor, DE/OLB, Wake Forest
Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georgia
Andrew Brown, DE, Virginia

Round Four: Wyatt Teller, OG, Virginia Tech
With Spencer Long hitting the road and Shawn Lauvao likely not returning, the Redskins find their left guard of the future.
Other Possible Targets:
Nathan Shepherd, DT, Fort Hays St.
Braden Smith, OG, Auburn

A middle round prospect who was a defensive tackle for the Huskies, but could also see time at end on the next level.
Other Possible Targets:
Siran Neal, SS/FS/CB, Jacksonville St.

Round Five: Nick Nelson, CB, Wisconsin
A first round talent dropped to the Redskins in round three last year due to injury. He is slated to have a greater role this season. Nelson had an injury earlier this month and it is expected to have an effect on his rookie season. History repeats itself and the Redskins add future talent.

The Redskins add depth to the line. Madison will need time to adjust to the NFL, but could be a spot/relief starter in a year or two.
Other Possible Targets:
Sean Welsh, G/C, Iowa
Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa

Round Six: Oren Burks, ILB, Vanderbilt
The Redskins are able to find a hidden gem from high-brow Vanderbilt and he could likely be a special teams standout.

Carrington has the talent to go higher in the draft, but comes with a couple of off the field issues. He was a model citizen since and could be a risk-high reward player.
Other Possible Targets:
Deon Yelder, TE, Western Kentucky
Troy Apke, FS, Penn St.
Brad Bozeman, C, Alabama

Round Seven: Troy Apke, FS, Penn St.
Speed, speed, and more speed. Should be an excellent special teams player. Can come in on passing downs and provide solid coverage.

Austin Golson, C, Auburn
Eddy Peneiro, K, Florida

There is the last full mock of the 2018 off-season. The draft will be here shortly. See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

I had a dream last night/early this morning that we traded with New England for their two #1's (probably due to BB's Mock yesterday) and we took Ridley and Guice, TWO skill position players. Puzzled the heck out of me. What in the world is going on in my subconscious mind?

Dan Snyder, is that you?

A smart move that New England made at DT was to trade a bag of hammers for Danny Shelton, a 25 year old former #1 pick from Cleveland who is a good run stopper and has some upside. New England was able to get stronger at the point of attack and still keep their powder dry with two #1 picks to spend on other positions.

I just wish once in awhile the Redskins would be this smart.

In addition, if Shelton has a very good season and the Pats don't want to give him a second contract and he leaves in free agency they get a nice compensatory pick for him in 2020.

If we had acquired Shelton we could have sat at #1 3 and just let whoever drops fall into our lap, whether CB-S-LB or DL.

I would rather gamble on Shelton than on resigning Phil Taylor who has not played in an NFL game since 2014.

Given that Ziggy Hood was playing out of position in 2017 at NT and finished per Pro Football Focus as the #78 rated NT out of 78, even if we draft a DT we still would seem to lack credible depth there.

Shelton has been very good against the run. The problem for him is that he played for a crappy team that has crappy coaching. He will shine in New England.

Shelton has been very good against the run. The problem for him is that he played for a crappy team that has crappy coaching. He will shine in New England.

I wish there was a way to measure this sort of player dynamic. I have to wonder about all the busts from early in the draft, are busts because of the team that drafted them.

Today we bring you the first of two latter round mocks of the 2018 off-season and there are several changes. The draft got underway last night and the Redskins selected a defensive lineman. Tomorrow brings us one more latter round mock and the 2018 draft will be in the history books.

Thus far, BBQ is one for one with our projections in the final two full mocks. We're not sure if the streak will continue, but it is a good start.

FYI - Neither latter round mock will have a trade.

Feel free to offer your own ideas about the draft, free agency, team cuts, team additions, and anything else related to these subjects. Too, we'd like to see your last minute latter round mocks if you are so inclined.

Without any further delays, let's take a look at the first of these latter round mocks.

Team Needs:
Running Back
Wide Receiver
Tight End (?)
Left Guard
Defensive Tackle
Inside Linebacker (?)

Round One: Da'Ron Payne, DT/DE, Alabama
***Official***
Payne is the space eating defensive tackle that Jim Tomsula has been coveting since his arrival at Redskins Park, but the Crimson Tide prospect can play all along the line. Welcome to the Burgundy and Gold, Mr. Payne.

Round Two: Derrius Guice, RB, Louisiana St.
Other Possible Targets (Including Third Round Choices If Acquired):
Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia
James Washington, WR, Oklahoma St.
Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
Ronald Jones, RB, Southern California
Harrison Phillips, DE/DT, Stanford (3rd)
Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn St. (3rd)
Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan (3rd)
Malik Jefferson, ILB, Texas (3rd)
Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota St. (3rd)
Duke Ejiofor, DE/OLB, Wake Forest (3rd)
Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georgia (3rd)
Andrew Brown, DE, Virginia (3rd)

Round Four: Wyatt Teller, OG, Virginia Tech
With Spencer Long hitting the road and Shawn Lauvao likely not returning, the Redskins find their left guard of the future.
Other Possible Targets:
Nathan Shepherd, DT, Fort Hays St.
Braden Smith, OG, Auburn

Other Possible Targets:
Nick Nelson, CB, Wisconsin

Round Five: Siran Neal, SS/FS/CB, Jacksonville St.
A versatile defensive back who could possibly step in at the corner slot position immediately.

The Redskins add depth to the line. Madison will need time to adjust to the NFL, but could be a spot/relief starter in a year or two.
Other Possible Targets:
Sean Welsh, G/C, Iowa
Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa
Oren Burks, ILB, Vanderbilt

Other Possible Targets:
Troy Apke, FS, Penn St.
Brad Bozeman, C, Alabama

Round Seven: Deon Yelder, TE, Western Kentucky

Austin Golson, C, Auburn
Eddy Peneiro, K, Florida

There is the first of the latter mocks. The draft will resume shortly. See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

I hope Guice is gone before we pick. Rather have just about anybody else.

Think his lying about combine questions knocked him out of the 1st. Two things Grandpa couldn't stand, was a thief, or a liar.

Maybe if he is there, someone else will want to jump up and get him. Get more picks, and maybe.......Kerryon Johnson.

Given what we have in Chris Thompson, Kerryon Johnson would seem to be the best fit in the backfield as a running mate.

I heard this morning that he was tabbed to be a late #2 or early #3 pick.

If that's the case perhaps we could move down a few slots in Round 2 and pick up a 4th or 5th rounder and still get Johnson.

About the Payne pick. I think it was 100% solid.

I still don't know what happened with Derwin James in terms of the rumor about continuing knee problems causing teams to fail him as an early pick. The Chargers took him at [URL=https://www.bgobsession.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 7[/URL] and must have evaluated him differently.

I liked James because he had that play-making ability our other DBs don't seem to have. We have solid players in Swearinger, Norman and now Nicholson but these guys don't get picks and force offenses to account for them in their game planning.

But just in terms of what Payne brings - he brings the promise that the Redskins will once again have a dominant inside presence to shut down the run as we did for years with Dave Butz. I can't count how many times Butz stopped third down conversions or prevented teams from scoring touchdowns from in close and having to settle for field goals.

Those metrics aren't counted in the 'well, he was only a first and second down player', etc. The same kind of comments we are hearing about Payne.

To me, holding a team from getting 7 points and forcing them to settle for 3 is a BIG deal.

Also, with a guy that commands the double team it allows the DEs and OLBs to get more favorable matchups.

When the Redskins had Dave Butz inside and Dexter Manley/Charles Mann on the outside teams were simply overmatched in coming up with combinations on the OL.

Tight ends and backs were forced to stay in and block and that cut off a good bit of what other teams could do offensively.

If we assume for a minute that James does indeed have a nagging knee injury that may bother him in the NFL, I have no problem with taking Payne.

ESPN only gave us a C for taking Payne, yet noted that rush defense was the team's clear glaring weakness in being able to compete in the NFC East.

With Vea gone, who else in the draft was going to come in, start from Day 1 and improve our defense up front this much?

See what the Saints did? They traded their own #1 pick, a middle round pick AND a 2019 first round pick to move up to take Davenport, a guy who most had as a late first or early second round selection.

Payne was not a reach as a player taken in the teens. Davenport WAS a big reach on the part of New Orleans.

Now if we can only get a running back in Round 2 and draft some depth for the OL and perhaps at DB.

I hope Guice is gone before we pick. Rather have just about anybody else.

Think his lying about combine questions knocked him out of the 1st. Two things Grandpa couldn't stand, was a thief, or a liar.

Maybe if he is there, someone else will want to jump up and get him. Get more picks, and maybe.......Kerryon Johnson.

I agree with all of this.

Even if he was asked "Was your mom a prostitute" (highly doubtful) what kind of bonehead would even make that public prior to the draft? He sounds like a problem.

I've seen Kerryon Johnson compared to Leveon Bell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.