• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone in BGO land.

Today we bring you the first mocks of the 2018 offseason. We've already signed one of our restricted free agents (Quinton Dunbar) to a three year contract, but today's focus is squarely on college prospects. We have two mocks for you today and that will be a weekly feature at BBQ for the next few weeks. One mock features the idea of keeping Kirk Cousins and the second mock will be devoted to a scenario of not retaining him.

We will continue this format until we know the status of Kirk Cousins. It's very complicated, but we hope to know more in the coming weeks.

The format for the mocks this offseason will feature shorter descriptions this year of each player. Time constraints from the fall and early winter have forced us to cram a lot of research into a smaller period of time.

Feel free to offer your own ideas about the draft, free agency, team cuts, team additions, coaching changes (?) and anything else related to these subjects. Too, we'd like to see your mocks if you are so inclined.

An extra note: These mocks may not necessarily be what BBQ wants or what the members at BGO may prefer. These mocks are designed to try and get into the mind of the Redskins brain trust and see what they will do.

Without any further delays, let's take a look at the first mocks of 2018.

Team Needs:
Quarterback (?)
Running Back
Wide Receiver
Tight End (?)
Left Guard (?)
Defensive Tackle
Inside Linebacker
Strike Safety
Free Safety

Mock One: Kirk Cousins Returns

Round One: Vita Vea, DT, Washington
Jim Tomsula wants a big and powerful body in the middle of his defensive line and gets his wish.
Other Possible Targets:
Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS, Alabama
Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
Courtland Sutton, WR, Southern Methodist
Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama
Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia

Round Two: Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
The Redskins can't continue to rely on mid round prospects at running back.
Other Possible Targets:
Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia
Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
Ronald Jones, RB, Southern California
Bryce Love, RB, Stanford
Will Hernandez, OG, Texas-El Paso
DeShon Elliott, FS, Texas

Round Three: Duke Ejiofor, DE, Wake Forest
The Redskins learned that picking a solid defensive end in the draft is a good thing.
Other Possible Targets:
Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio St.
Marcus Allen, FS, Penn St.
Frank Ragnow, G/C, Arkansas
Malik Jefferson, ILB, Texas
Andrew Brown, DE, Virginia
James Washington, WR, Oklahoma St.

Round Four: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn St.
Jordan Reed could be released by the Redskins or traded in the offseason.
Other Possible Targets:
Justin Jones, DT, North Carolina St.
Luke Falk, QB, Washington St.
Uchenna Nwosu, OLB, Southern California
Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota St.
Harrison Phillips, DE, Stanford
Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma St.

Round Five: Micah Kiser, ILB, Virginia
The Redskins venture down the road and find a good inside linebacker who can also play special teams.
Other Possible Targets:
Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis
Jaylen Dunlap, CB, Illinois
Kyzir White, SS, West Virginia
Marcus Baugh, TE, Ohio St.
Wyatt Teller, OG, Virginia Tech
B.J. Hill, DT, North Carolina St.

Round Six: Quin Blanding, SS, Virginia
A free safety who will need to make the switch to strike. Good in run support.
Other Possible Targets:
Allen Lazard, WR, Iowa St.
K.C. McDermott, G/OT, Miami
Breeland Speaks, DE, Mississippi
Steve Ishmael, WR, Syracuse
Lester Cotton, OG, Alabama
Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana

Round Seven: Jake Wieneke, WR, South Dakota St.
Coming from a lesser known program and conference, Wieneke actually has excellent skills and is an underrated prospect.
Other Possible Targets:
Brandon Facyson, CB, Virginia Tech
Kurt Benkert, QB, Virginia
Brendan Mahon, G/OT, Penn St.
Mike White, QB, Western Kentucky
Matt Elam, DT, Kentucky
Donovan Wilson, CB, Texas A&M

Round Seven: Folorunso Fatukasi, DE, Connecticut
A late round prospect who was a defensive tackle for the Huskies, but would be an end at the next level.

Mock Two: Kirk Cousins Does Not Return

Round One: Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
The Kirk Cousins era ends and the Lamar Jackson era begins.

Round Two: Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
The Redskins can't continue to rely on mid round prospects at running back.

Round Three: Duke Ejiofor, DE, Wake Forest
The Redskins learned that picking a solid defensive end in the draft is a good thing.

Round Four: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn St.
Jordan Reed could be released by the Redskins or traded in the offseason.

Round Five: Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis
It is good to have a backup plan a la Griffin and Cousins.

Round Six: Quin Blanding, SS, Virginia
A free safety who will need to make the switch to strike. Good in run support.

Round Seven: Jake Wieneke, WR, South Dakota St.
Coming from a lesser known program and conference, Wieneke actually has excellent skills and is an underrated prospect.

Round Seven: Folorunso Fatukasi, DE, Connecticut
A late round prospect who was a defensive tackle for the Huskies, but would be an end at the next level.

Undrafted Free Agent Prospects:
Andrew Trumbetti, OLB, Notre Dame
Coleman Shelton, C, Washington
Cole Reyes, SS, North Dakota
Jester Weah, WR, Pittsburgh
Jordan Thomas, CB, Oklahoma
Ryan Finley, QB, North Carolina St.
Reggie Carter, ILB, Georgia
Eddy Peneiro, K, Florida
Drew Bailey, DE/DT, Louisville
Cody O'Connell, OG, Washington St.
Walter Brady, OLB, Middle Tennessee St.
Jeb Blazevich, TE, Georgia
Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona St.
Bruce Hector, DE/DT, South Florida
Evan Berry, KR/FS, Tennessee

Prospects Contacted, Interviewed, Visited:
East-West Shrine game - EW
Senior Bowl - SB
Combine – NFLC
Team Pro Day – TPD
Team Visit – TV
Private Workout – PW

There are your first mocks for 2018 and prospect lists. The draft will be here before you know it, but we have many mocks in the weeks and months ahead. See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

Last edited:
BB, I consider that an encouraging sign, that you made 2 mock drafts ; one with and one without Cousins.
I don't recall you doing that before, unless I missed it.
The fact that you went through the work of doing 2 mocks for each scenario, especially with all the negative stuff happening lately, must mean there's reason to believe something might get worked out.

The dynamic(s) of this offseason is/are simply too difficult to predict. It certainly requires two scenarios be presented each time a mock is posted - at least until we firmly know what will happen with Cousin Kirk.

Running backs tend to have a more immediate impact in the NFL than wide receivers so if we bring Kirk Cousins back or draft a quarterback in Round 1, I could easily see this team then take a back high.

If it is Kirk coming back, then a runner in Round 1 could make sense.

If Cousins does return in 2018 the return to health of the offensive line, Chris Thompson and Jordan Reed puts us on course for a productive season if we upgrade the running back position and bring in a veteran wide receiver who can take over a leadership role here and be that guy who can be counted on to convert third downs.

Right now, none of the other receivers on the team fit that role. And again, drafting a WR in Round 1 is not likely to net a player that is going to make a big impact in Year 1.

If we bring in a rookie qb, then adding a quality runner in Round 2 and allow them to grow up together in the system has some appeal I would imagine.

As far as DT?

I don't see the Redskins taking DL #1 for a second straight season for a couple of reasons.

One, we are talking about Jay Gruden here, the head coach with one of the memorable comments since he has been here:

"What impact players? We drafted a guy (Doctson) who is hurt and with our other pick (Scherff in 2015) we took a guard'...................:hungry:

Second, we seem to have 2/3 of a starting rotation on the DL with Allen and Ioannidis, both under 25. McGhee came on to be a solid backup and Lanier has the look of becoming a regular contributor in 2018 outside.

Yes, the Redskins need a bit more at DL. But I think a #2 pick on a two-way DT who can create some push or a #3-4 on a guy with size and run stopping skills is where we are headed in April in terms of the draft.

I would also expect to see Terrell McClain get cut in the offseason as the soon to be 30 year old DL appeared to be a free agent bust before he went down with the leg injury.

Exactly. IF (and yeah, it's a big IF) the Redskins don't have to start over at QB, they can focus their first couple picks on offense. I could see us going some combination of RB/WR/OL/TE in the first 2-3 rounds. I'd be selling that to Cousins as well. If we have to go QB, it might not just take our #13 pick, the #13 and one or two more picks to move up to be able to get one worth taking in the first round. No - we won't give up numerous high picks, but we might be willing to part with some mid-rounders to move up a slot or two if necessary. That would be a worst case scenario imho, because we have too many needs.

I'm really afraid of what we might have to do if Cousins walks.

And that's what leads me to believe we might do some kind of tag and trade for a promising young QB on a team pining for Cousins entering the draft crapshoot for one of the top 5-6 QBs. There's no way to know if any of them that WE rate as great prospects will be there at pick 13.

If Kirk stays, we HAVE to take DL on one of our first 2 picks.
In 2017, our opponents out-rushed us by an average of 45 yards per game
Opponents averaged 134.1 per game.
We averaged 90.5 per game.
That defensive ranking against the rush was the WORST in the NFL.
That indicates problems on both sides of the ball.
If we go offense with our first 2 picks, and neglect the Dline, then much of the time next year, at best, we will be partaking in shootouts.

Not necessarily. We were one of the worst 3rd down offenses in the league. You add a top shelf RB and a true #1 WR or TE and all of a sudden you are sustaining drives, reducing the opponent's TOP, scoring more points. All of those outcomes will reduce the opponent's ability to rack up rushing yards.

It's not just about the DL imho. Keeping the ball out of their hands, scoring more points, not playing from behind where teams can just pound the rock.

Not necessarily. We were one of the worst 3rd down offenses in the league. You add a top shelf RB and a true #1 WR or TE and all of a sudden you are sustaining drives, reducing the opponent's TOP, scoring more points. All of those outcomes will reduce the opponent's ability to rack up rushing yards.

It's not just about the DL imho. Keeping the ball out of their hands, scoring more points, not playing from behind where teams can just pound the rock.

That might be true if we were not 32nd in rushing defense.
Improving TOP on offense, is not going swing the pendulum far enough the other way, from the furthest extreme.

32nd is not just the result of RB talent. OL devastated by injuries, top 2 RBs out with injury.

32nd is not just the result of RB talent. OL devastated by injuries, top 2 RBs out with injury.

I was referring to rushing defense, not offense. We're giving up 134 yards a game.
You suggested an improved rushing attack, would offset the poor rushing defense, by taking the ball out of their hands more.
But our rush defense is so horrendous, that an improved TOP on offense, is not going to reduce the defensive numbers significantly enough, since they were so far off the charts horrible, to begin with.

I'm saying several things.

We had major defensive injuries this year - that certainly explains SOME of the poor performance against the run. We didn't cut those guys :) They'll be back.

We had a total turnover of our defensive coaching staff. Despite that transition, had we not had the injuries (coupled with poor offensive ability to keep drives going and sustain leads) we might well have seen major improvements against the run.

And yeah - had we not been near the leagues worst at converting 3rd downs, we would've had greater TOP, we likely would've scored more points, and we would've been more frequently in situations where we weren't playing from behind where a team can just pound it down our throats.

Losing J. Allen and playing Ionnidis with one hand really hurt.

I'm saying several things.

We had major defensive injuries this year - that certainly explains SOME of the poor performance against the run. We didn't cut those guys :) They'll be back.

Losing J. Allen and playing Ionnidis with one hand really hurt.

But do you really want to be an injury or 2 (actually an injury and a half) away from being the 32nd rated rushing defense ?
Another stud on the DL is imperative.
Injuries happened before and they'll happen again.

As for the RB position, we can safely say that getting one in the first round is highly unlikely to happen.

First, Jay does not value the RB in his offense the way other teams do. Do they need a good RB? Sure. That is why I have one mocked in the second round (both mocks).

Second, the RBs for the 2018 class is extremely deep and finding a very good one in the second or third round is very likely.

Third, taking a RB in the top twenty of any draft is risky for several reasons. Look at Fournette (taken in the first last year) and Elliott (taken in the first round two years ago). RBs can miss some time for injuries - it is not unsual. Yes, both had personal issues and that can't be discounted either.

Fourth, the career for a RB in the NFL is typically way shorter than other positions. That is why most teams will not select one in the first round.

I gave these mocks a lot of thought and looked at the Jay Gruden era drafts. Don't overthink these things.

It's true that RBs who used to dominate the first round are rarely chosen there now. Also true this should be a deep draft for RBs. Not following on the personal issue aspect. That's true for any position and is more an issue of WHO a team picks vs. position. RBs may be more subject to injury, but not sure that should drive where you pick one. When a RB is available you want a great one, right?

Best question you pose is how much Gruden values one. In Cincy seems like he was more enamored of the running game. I'm not as convinced as many that he doesn't value it. We've just had greater draft needs...

I wonder if he won't go hunting for a top 5 WR before looking for a RB though ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derrick Henry was drafted in the second round.

Well, in reviewing these drafts I think you have to remember that Jonathan Allen was supposed to be a top 5 pick, perhaps top 3 in March.

Then he started to slide down the boards a bit because of the shoulder report which allowed the Redskins sitting at #17 to take a no-brainer pick.

THAT was the reason we took a defensive lineman in Round 1.

Don't expect us to do that again with Jay Gruden at the helm.

Scott drafted Brandon Scherff but now that he is gone, we are likely to see a focus on skill players in Round 1 moving forward.

My guess is our DL depth will be addressed in Rounds 3 and/or 4 and perhaps again late in Round 7 and with some college free agents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.