• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

Welsh was considered a backup center. Either way, that leaves two roster spots open.

We were not going to have another roster prediction until early June, but the chances of posting one next week have increased.

Plus factor in we just lost another LG - Sean Welsh has retired.
What is it with the Skins and promising UDFA's suddenly retiring as soon as they sign with us...if you remember Connor Halliday, too

Obviously the young man has the right to make whatever decision he feels is best. Sort of strange though. Sounds to me like with all the hype about him overcoming his depression issues, maybe that's not the case. If he changes his mind, I hope we'll take a hard pass. We need to be able to rely on players (said without judgment in terms of whatever's going on with him).

Not to make light of someone with psychological issues, but a sports team really can't afford to spend the kind of time on someone with them. I'm not talking narcissism... the locker room will be stocked and loaded with those types... I'm talking about depression and something truly debilitating.

He he needs to get help and win off the field (heh... ), but there was no way this guy would ever see the field with those issues.

You can't fill all of the roster holes with 8 draft picks, even if they are very good ones.

And you really can't count on finding LG help from a cast of UDFA's.

What the Redskins are going to have to do is what most teams do, wait until someone who is better than what they have is released by another team because of cap hit and/or a rookie or younger player emerging, and then pounce.

What we really need is a bridge to 2019.

You can't fill all of the roster holes with 8 draft picks, even if they are very good ones.

And you really can't count on finding LG help from a cast of UDFA's.

What the Redskins are going to have to do is what most teams do, wait until someone who is better than what they have is released by another team because of cap hit and/or a rookie or younger player emerging, and then pounce.

What we really need is a bridge to 2019.

I think we could have done more to make this team more competitve this off-season with a few signings and the draft we just had. I know I'll hear about "cost", but we could have managed a couple of the free agents I'm going to mention.

Pouncey - released by Miami, far batter than anything we have here. Sandwich a toad between he and Trent Willaims and our OL would be very good.

Dontari Poe - A rotational guy, he was signed for a modest contract...would be our 3rd or 4th rotation in.

Sheldon Richardson - More expensive, but wholly worth it. We then could have gone after Derwin James instead, though I am not upset by choosing Payne.

Allen Robinson - He did not sign a bank busting contract, we could have managed it and our WR corps has someone teams would actually fear. As it stands, we have no one other teams will have to scheme around.

I know we could not have signed all 4, and the way the draft turned out, Richardson would not have been worth it, but we could have signed at least Pouncey and Robinson, maybe even Poe, and this team competes for a playoff spot, bridging us into 2019 where we can address more needs, as more develop.

Last edited:
Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone here at BGO. We hope your week will be a good one. Hello to everyone on social media. We'd love to have you as a member here and become a part of the family.

The draft is history. Free Agency has all but dwindled down for now. Rookie camp just ended. OTAs and mini-camps are just around the corner. Training camp will be here soon. We'll cover it all and give everyone at BGO the best coverage possible.

Today we are posting the first of our off-season evaluations. We will examine the various positions and give an assessment. Today we start with quarterbacks and later this week it will be the running backs. We'll post an evaluation of each group for the next few weeks.

Let's get right to it!

Quaterbacks:
Alex Smith
The trade for Alex Smith came in late January when it became apparent that Kirk Cousins simply didn't want to return. The Redskins likely knew of this outcome before the 2017 season ended and it was time to move on.

Smith obviously enjoyed a superb season in 2017 and had routinely taken the Chiefs to the playoffs. He will be the undisputed starter in 2018, but it is difficult to know if he will match the success he enjoyed in Kansas City.

Colt McCoy
McCoy is the obvious backup here and that will not change. He can come in for a game and provide leadership along with a possible win. He cannot be relied upon to bring multiple wins if Smith is out for an extended period of time.

Kevin Hogan
The Redskins acquired Hogan from the Brown as both teams traded positons in the sixth round of the 2018 draft. Hogan is no more than a third stringer and while he could improve in a Jay Gruden offense, it is unlikely that he will ever win the backup job.

The real unknown here is what will happen when the final roster of fifty-three is announced. Will Hogan be on that roster or will the team go with Smith and McCoy only?

Unknown/UDFA
The Redskins will probably carry a young prospect into training camp, but such a player will be nothing more than a camp arm. It's even possible that a quarterback could be on the practice squad during the 2018 season.

There is our first look at roster positions this off-season. Later this week we will take a look at the running backs.

Hail To The Redskins!

I'll confess I've never been a huge Hall fan, nor am I a fan of hiring former players for coaching or FO jobs. If he wants to go that route, he should go elsewhere and prove he can do the job, not just be appointed because he's been a good soldier. He never really came back from the last injury and has been physically done for a couple of years so no surprise he's making it official.

I agree the Redskins went cheap in free agency and really didn't bring much to the roster before the draft in terms of impact players.

A few of the players that wouldn't have cost us in the comp pick formula (ie cut by other teams and not end of contract free agents) were available at different positions.

I would have stayed away from the guys that would have cost us comp pick(s).

Especially now as you can trade these picks.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings from BBQ. Hello to everyone on social media. We'd love to have you as a member here and become a part of the family. We hope your week is going well.

Free agency is all but over, however, signings are still possible and we are here to cover it all. BBQ now combines the free agency portion of the posts with the draft picks and undrafted free agents. After this update, we will no longer list candidates that could be released and players that may or may not return.

OTAs, mini-camps, and training camp will be here before you know it, but we're talking about free agency now and all the trades, re-signings, tags, releases, and new free agents.

Who will we target in free agency? Who will we re-sign? Who will we not re-sign? Who will get released? Feel free to offer your opinions and predictions.

We take the latest chatter from Redskins Park and media pundits as BBQ tries to formulate what could happen in the coming days, weeks and months.

Free Agents Obtained:
Paul Richardson, WR – (Signed Five Year Deal, 3/15/18)
Sam Irwin Hill, P – (Signed Two Year Deal, 3/16/18)
Orlando Scandrick, CB (Signed Two Year Deal, 3/19/18)
Pernell McPhee, OLB (Signed One Year Deal, 3/26/18)

Free Agents Re-signed:
Quinton Dunbar, CB/ST – (Signed Three Year Deal, 1/1/18)
Mason Foster, ILB – (Signed Two Year Deal, 1/25/18)
Deshazor Everett, SS/ST – (Signed Two Year Deal, 3/6/18)
Dustin Hopkins, K – (Signed Three Year Deal, 3/12/18)
Brian Quick, WR – (Signed One Year Deal, 3/14/18)
Zach Brown, ILB – (Signed Three Year Deal, 3/15/18)
Phil Taylor, DT – (Signed One Year Deal, 4/3/18)
Ty Nsehke, OT – (Signed One Year Deal, 4/16/18)
Tony Bergstrom, C – (Signed One Year Deal, 4/16/18)
Shawn Lauvao, OG (Signed One Year Deal, 5/4/18)

Exercised Option:
Brandon Scherff, OG

Trade:
Alex Smith, QB
Kevin Hogan, QB
Kendall Fuller, CB (Traded to the Chiefs)
Su'a Cravens, SS (Traded to the Broncos)

Restricted Free Agents:

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:

Contract Extension:
Alex Smith, QB (Four Year Extension, Five Years Total)

Players Waived, Released:
LeShun Daniels, RB
Stephen Morris, QB
Orion Stewart, S
Otha Peters, LB
A.J. Francis, DE
Montori Hughes, DT
Terrell McClain, DE
Chris Bazile, TE
Cassanova McKinzy, LB
James Sample, CB
Orlando Franklin, OG

Pending Free Agents:
DeAngelo Hall, FS – (Will Retire)
Arthur Jones, DT – (Will Not Return)
Bashaud Breeland, CB – (Will Not Return)
Junior Galette, OLB – (Likely Not Returning)
Chris Carter, LB/ST – (Will Not Return)

Possible Release Candidates:
Keith Marshall, RB
Byron Marshall, RB
T.J. Clemmings, OT
Demetrius Rhaney, C
Sam Irwin Hill, P
Phil Taylor, DT
Orlando Scandrick, CB
Rob Kelley, RB
Kapri Bibbs, RB
Ziggy Hood, DE
Maurice Harris, WR
Brian Quick, WR
Tony Bergstrom, C

Draftees:
1. Daron Payne, DL
2. Derrius Guice, RB
3. Geron Christian, OT
4. Troy Apke, FS
5. Tim Settle, DT
6. Shaun Dion Hamilton, ILB
7. Greg Stroman, CB/PR
7. Trey Quinn, WR/PR

Undrafted Free Agents:
Simmie Cobbs, WR
Shay Fields, WR
Danny Johnson, CB
Martez Carter, RB
Ranthony Texada, CB
Elijah Wellman, FB
Quin Blanding, SS
Matt Flanagan, TE
Vontae Diggs, ILB
Casey Dunn, C
Jerod Fernandez, ILB
Timon Parris, OT
Darvin Kidsy, WR
De'Mornay Pierson-El, WR
Cam Sims, WR

Off-season Updates:
Tony Bergstrom is no longer listed as a guard or tackle at the team website. He is listed as a center.

Here are the picks the Redskins now have (by round) in the 2019 draft:
1, 2, 3, 3 (Comp), 4, 5, 5 (Comp), 6, 6 (Comp), 6 (Comp), 7.

As it stands now, the Redskins would have four compensatory picks in the 2019 draft – 3rd, 5th, 6th, 6th.

Free agent DT Johnathan Hankins is likely no longer being considered by the Redskins.

BBQ believes a quarterback will be added sometime soon. He will likely be an UDFA or a young free agent prospect. This player would be no more than a camp arm and a practice squad player at most.

Personal Thoughts:
BBQ believes one or two of the following UDFAs who signed with the Redskins have a decent chance of making the roster of fifty-three:
Timon Parris, OT
Simmie Cobbs, WR
Quin Blanding, SS
Casey Dunn, C

Alex Smith was the starter in Kansas City when Kevin Hogan was drafted. Smith obviously sees something in Hogan that many of us don't see. Stephen Morris was never going to be on the final roster.

See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

Montae is locked into a roster spot. Deshazor is almost locked into a roster spot (special teams ace helps his cause). Apke is locked into a roster spot based on his draft status. Smithson is nothing more than a practice squad player. Only way Fish makes the roster would be due to many injuries. Blanding has a lot to learn and likely lands on the practice squad.

Greetings from BBQ to everyone here at BGO. We hope your week has been a good one. Hello to everyone on social media. We'd love to have you as a member here and become a part of the family.

The draft is history. Free Agency has all but dwindled down for now. Rookie camp ended last weekend. OTAs and mini-camps are just around the corner. Training camp will be here soon. We'll cover it all and give everyone at BGO the best coverage possible.

BBQ continues our off-season evaluations. We will examine the various positions and give an assessment. Today we feature the running backs and next week it will be the wide receivers and tight ends. We'll post an evaluation of each group for the next few weeks.

Let's get right to it!

Running Backs:
Derrius Guice
Guice will be the undisputed starter and he will likely have a positive impact on the 2018 season. As a first round talent, the LSU product fell in the draft due to overblown character concerns – most of which have not been substantiated.

He could be a candidate for offensive rookie of the year honors in the NFL and has a reasonable chance to make the pro bowl. Making first team all-pro is probably a longshot, but it can't be ruled completely out.

Samaje Perine
Perine is now looking at being the second string back behind Guice, but he could still have a good impact in his second season. He can be expected to relieve Guice at various times during a game.

If an injury occurs to Guice, Perine likely elevates to starter status and becomes the feature back. If Perine shows improvement from last year, he and Guice could be a formidable one-two combo.

Robert Kelley
Kelley will likely see his role diminish for the second year in a row. While he could see the field a few times this season, his status is going to be that of the third stringer.

There is a chance that Kelley could regain the form he displayed two years ago and supplant Perine as the second string back. If Kelley regresses to any degree, it's possible he could not make the final roster.

Chris Thompson
Thompson is entrenched as the “third down back” and can be expected to resume his role on any passing downs. His versatility is key to the success of the Redskins.

If the team decides to pair Guice with Thompson at times in the backfield, the results could be very favorable. Defenses could have a difficult time with both players in the game.

Other Running Backs
Byron Marshall, Martez Carter, Keith Marshall, and Kapri Bibbs will be fighting for one roster spot as Guice, Perine, and Thompson are locked into their roster spots. BBQ believes that Bibbs has the best chance of these four backs to make the final roster.

Rob Kelley still has the inside track and that is who we believe will be the third string back. Carter could be on the practice squad and there is a chance Byron Marshall could be there as well. Keith Marshall probably moves on after this summer.

There is our second look at roster positions this off-season. Next week we will look at wide receivers and tight ends.

Have a good weekend.

Hail To The Redskins!

Montae is locked into a roster spot. Deshazor is almost locked into a roster spot (special teams ace helps his cause). Apke is locked into a roster spot based on his draft status. Smithson is nothing more than a practice squad player. Only way Fish makes the roster would be due to many injuries. Blanding has a lot to learn and likely lands on the practice squad.

Thank you, and I'm sorry I did a poor job of clarification in my remark.
As far as "Swearinger being the only sure thing" I was actually referring to all the safeteys' specific spot on the depth chart and as possible starters, rather than Swearinger being the only sure thing to make the roster.
Seems like there may be a battle for the spot opposite him.

Safeties are a bit more settled than in recent years. Just hope they have a good season.

An improved defensive front should help secondary tremendously.

Absolutely, exact same for the offense as well. Bigguns is what makes the machine work.

True...

0164DB38-A546-4CED-8387-652974B84068.jpeg

Most Skins fans view our secondary as a weakness. But I think that's incorrect. Yes - we lost a talented youngster. But we still have a talented group. Dunbar is coming on, Swearinger can ball, Norman is a top tier corner, Nicholson is gifted and will only get better. If Moreau proves to be the guy the team thought he was when drafted, we will be very good in the defensive backfield. Of course, injuries could change that - but I feel good about heading into 2018.

Yep. We are going to roll with the secondary we have now. No looking back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.