• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

Probably gonna get released so Malcom Butler...should we?

I'm curious what he actually did to be sat. If the price is right I'd say hell yeah put him in the secondary.

I feel like he's both a good person and a good player who just made a mistake, but he has totally learned from it.
Even Brady was tweeting out love and support for him, post-SB.
That says something.

Last edited:
There will be no prospects update tomorrow. It will return later this month when the combine begins. New mock coming on Friday.

I still want a big ugly in the first. If Nelson is gone bring on VelVita! Tho I think the raiders are gonna mess that up for us.

If both are gone trade down like a mufuh and fill some gaps.

I feel like he's both a good person and a good player who just made a mistake, but he has totally learned from it.
Even Brady was tweeting out love and support for him, post-SB.
That says something.

He denied doing anything at all prior to the SB - didn't he? The rumored issues were showed up drunk, stoned, whatever and missed curfew, and possibly had it out with coaches in the process. To be fair, I don't know if some, all, or none of that is true. But he denied anything happened. That seems unlikely. You don't get 'sat' for a SB unless there was a significant problem imho.

Here's his version...

There have also been rumors that they just didn't trust Butler to be able to do the job against Philadelphia. His play dropped off quite a bit in 2017. He was something like the 55th rated CB this past season. Who knows. He is only 27 though, still pretty young.

There are two reasons why I don't have Butler on the FA watch list. He will cost a fortune and his work ethic was questioned last summer. 2017 answered a lot of questions.

There will be no prospects update tomorrow. It will return later this month when the combine begins. New mock coming on Friday.

And something about a surprise ?

He will cost a fortune and his work ethic was questioned last summer. 2017 answered a lot of questions.

Wait, which corner are you talking about ? Breeland or Butler ? :)

He denied doing anything at all prior to the SB - didn't he? The rumored issues were showed up drunk, stoned, whatever and missed curfew, and possibly had it out with coaches in the process. To be fair, I don't know if some, all, or none of that is true. But he denied anything happened. That seems unlikely. You don't get 'sat' for a SB unless there was a significant problem imho.

This has all the makings of the game of Clue.
Did the Butler do it, or did the Butler not do it ?

Last edited:
Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone in BGO land.

Today we bring you our latest mock of the 2018 offseason and there are a number of changes. Alex Smith will be the new quarterback for the Redskins and that ended our weekly dual mocks. With the quarterback situation now settled, we can focus on one mock each time we make these posts.

We hope enjoyed the guest mock earlier in the week. It was nice of Steve to share some of his thoughts with us and give more insight from another perspective. We will have another mock next week from a surprise guest.

Free agency is nearly upon us and the 2017 season is now in the history books. The format for the mocks this offseason will feature shorter descriptions this year for each player. Time constraints from the fall and early winter have forced us to cram a lot of research into a smaller period of time.

Feel free to offer your own ideas about the draft, free agency, team cuts, team additions, coaching changes, and anything else related to these subjects. Too, we'd like to see your mocks if you are so inclined.

An extra note: These mocks may not necessarily be what BBQ wants or what the members at BGO may prefer. These mocks are designed to try and get into the mind of the Redskins brain trust and see what they will do.

Without any further delays, let's take a look at the latest mocks of 2018.

Team Needs:
Running Back
Wide Receiver
Tight End (?)
Left Guard
Defensive Tackle
Inside Linebacker (?)
Strike Safety (?)

Round One: Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
Payne is the space eating defensive tackle that Jim Tomsula has been coveting since his arrival at Redskins Park.
Other Possible Targets:
Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama
Billy Price, OG/C, Ohio St.
Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia
Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB, Alabama
Tremaine Edmunds, OLB, Virginia Tech

Round Two: Will Hernandez, OG, Texas-El Paso
The powerful left guard fills a major need as Hernandez could be a mainstay for a dozen years or more.
Other Possible Targets:
Ronald Jones, RB, Southern California
James Washington, WR, Oklahoma St.
Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon
Tim Settle, DT, Virginia Tech
Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
Wyatt Teller, OG, Virginia Tech

Round Four: Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona St.
Strong, powerful, superb, dynamic. Those are a few of the terms that describe Ballage.
Other Possible Targets:
Justin Jones, DT, North Carolina St.
Dante Pettis, WR, Washington
Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn St.
Korey Robertson, WR, Southern Mississippi
Uchenna Nwosu, OLB, Southern California
Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota St.
Kyzir White, SS, West Virginia

Round Five: Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond
Lauletta is an underrated signal caller who would have the benefit of learning from a veteran.
Other Possible Targets:
Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin
Jaylen Dunlap, CB, Illinois
Micah Kiser, ILB, Virginia
Siran Neal, SS/FS/CB/ST, Jacksonville St.
Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis
Greg Stroman, CB, Virginia Tech
B.J. Hill, DT, North Carolina St.

Round Six: Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado St.
Gallup was once a highly rated prospect and had a decent college career. Alex Smith would make him better.
Other Possible Targets:
Allen Lazard, WR, Iowa St.
Brad Bozeman, C, Alabama
Adonis Alexander, CB, Virginia Tech
K.C. McDermott, G/OT, Miami
Quin Blanding, SS, Virginia
Jack Cichy, ILB, Wisconsin
Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana

Round Seven: Jake Wieneke, WR, South Dakota St.
Coming from a lesser known program and conference, Wieneke actually has excellent skills and is an underrated prospect.
Other Possible Targets:
Darren Carrington, WR, Utah
Brendan Mahon, G/OT, Penn St.
Mike White, QB, Western Kentucky
Folorunso Fatukasi, DE, Connecticut
Cam Phillips, WR, Virginia Tech
Coleman Shelton, OG/C, Washington

Round Seven: Brandon Facyson, CB, Virginia Tech
For the second year in a row the Redskins select a cornerback in the final round. An all around good player who has regressed a bit, but is a good prospect.

Undrafted Free Agent Prospects:
Andrew Trumbetti, OLB, Notre Dame
Cole Reyes, SS, North Dakota
Jester Weah, WR, Pittsburgh
Jordan Thomas, CB, Oklahoma
Donovan Wilson, CB, Texas A&M
Ryan Finley, QB, North Carolina St.
Reggie Carter, ILB, Georgia
Eddy Peneiro, K, Florida
Drew Bailey, DE/DT, Louisville
Cody O'Connell, OG, Washington St.
Walter Brady, OLB, Middle Tennessee St.
Jeb Blazevich, TE, Georgia
Bruce Hector, DE/DT, South Florida
Evan Berry, KR/FS, Tennessee

There is the second mock of February. The draft will be here before you know it, but we have many mocks in the weeks and months ahead. See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

I don't think the passing game will skip a beat with Smith at the wheel.

So, our biggest needs, besides a new head coach, all center around the run. On both offense, and defense.

While I'll always be a BPA kind of guy, I hope that the major focus in both FA and the draft, will be in this area.

I'm also not hung up on where, or what order we find them. 1st rd, 5th rd, UDFA, etc...

I want a home run hitting, 3 down RB.
I want a starting LG that can both run block, and pass block. Of course, our coaches need to teach it better/different.
I want a bonafide NT.
I want a stud ILB.

If we have to pick/sign 2 of each to ensure 1 can start right away, that's just fine.

Depth at any/every other position.

Oh I can dig that mock and would consider that a grace saver for the Bruce.

Landing Vita or Payne would damn near turn our d-line into a strength when you consider J-Allen & Ionidas, atleast on paper. Just seems that the majority of teams have atleast 1 strength area, while the skins have okay areas but nothing to brag about.

I think the one mistake that McCloughan made that Belichick doesn't was to draft wide receivers in the first round.

That pick for Doctson really cost us as we could have filled other holes at #22 overall with a player that was far more ready to play in the NFL.

Taking a WR in the draft is almost as risky as taking a quarterback high.

All that said, I will be happy when I see the Redskins get off the ground running in March and lock up a veteran wide receiver on the FA market.

Smith needs help on offense, we need a veteran presence at WR as priority #1 .

We need a LG, an early down running back and a tight end that can both block and catch.

I am assuming we get the running back and LG in the draft but look to sign the TE in free agency as well.

Reed's contract makes him almost untradeable so we are going to have to give him yet another full season of hoping and praying his body holds up for something approaching 16 games, heck 12 games I think will have the coaches jumping for joy.

We need to bring Davis back as an insurance policy for Reed as a pass receiver.

It's after that we need upgrades. Niles Paul to me needs to go. We should be able to find younger, cheaper help for special teams. Despite being drafted as a wide receiver he hasn't emerged as a pass receiving target for the club, even when Reed was down.

Sprinkle is a raw player who has size and decent speed for a guy who is 255. But he looks to need another season of learning and getting a few more reps before you can realistically see a jump in 2019 from him.

So, we need a bridge player for 2018. As long as the contract is only 1 or 2 years I wouldn't have any qualms about signing a 29-31 year old player here at TE to get us through.

Teams like the Eagles, Chiefs, Patriots, Vikings always seem to have depth here with tight ends on their roster that can block and catch.

Given that Smith had a young Vernon Davis in San Francisco and Travis Kelce in Kansas City as prime targets, this position becomes that much more important as Smith is more of a traditional WCO quarterback.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone in BGO land.

Today we bring you another guest mock from Redskins fan and Breaking Football blogger, Nathan Britton. Last week, Steve gave us some great insights into the first guest mock – he is also with Breaking Football. Nathan has graciously given some of his time to present us with a superb mock.

BBQ hopes you are enjoying these guest mocks. Next week will feature another guest – he is a former collegiate Division 1 offensive lineman.

You can find Breaking Football at @Breaking_FB (twitter) or breakingfootball.com. Nathan provides mocks, free agency updates, and Redskins analysis for them on a regular basis. His insights are always thorough and well-reasoned. You can find him on twitter at @NathanBritton_ and we recommend him and last week's guest, @SteveDraft_ as follows.

I hope you appreciate the time and effort he put into this entry on our behalf. His update and mock is presented here in our format with no editing from me. I know you will like his perspectives on each player. I certainly do.

FYI – we hope to have several more guests over the next month or so with their mocks each week. We will not have a free agency update tomorrow or a prospect update on Thursday. Another BBQ mock arrives on Friday.

Let's get right to Nathan's mock.

2018 Redskins Draft:

Round One: Da'Ron Payne, DL, Alabama:
Hard to pass on Derrius Guice at this spot but the need for interior pressure and depth along the line is too great to ignore Payne here. Reuniting Johnathan Allen with his college teammate, Payne adds immediate skill up front to help sure up a rather shaky defensive line.

Round Two: Trade
Washington receives pick 33 (Cleveland) and gives Su'a Cravens and a 2019 4th round pick (Cravens has burned his bridges with the team and will be moved before the year starts, packaging him and a draft pick should help the skins move up).

Round Two: Ronald Jones, RB, Southern California:
Washington has struggled to find a solid run game, and has lacked a true homerun hitter since Clinton Portis was in his prime. Chris Thompson has become a versatile weapon out of the backfield but has shown durability issues, Jones has the blazing speed and vision needed to be successful in the NFL. He has the tools to become the feature back in an offense that needs a true playmaker. If Jones lasts into the second round Washington should make a move to get him.

Round Four: Tim Settle, DT, Virginia Tech:
Settle is a big bodied DT who will eat up blocks and add interior pressure to help Allen and Ioannidis get into the backfield. Washington has lacked a true NT for their 3-4 defense and has paid heavily in the run game. At 6'3 320 pounds Settle will help with depth and closing running lanes along the defensive line. Not to mention he is a local kid who has ties to defensive backs coach Torrian Gray.

Round Five: Kevin Toliver, CB, Louisana St.:
Losing Kendall Fuller and presumably Brashaud Breeland this offseason, cornerback becomes an area of weakness depth wise. With Norman aging and Fabian Moreau not having shown much, Washington should look to add another young player in the defensive backfield. Toliver is a big physical corner who can come down and help with the run. He is a little raw but with coaching he could turn into a solid piece for Washington.

Round Six: Cody O'Connell, OG, Washington St.:
O'Connell will fill a need on the offensive line for Washington. Depth was an issue and starting center Spencer Long and starting guard Shawn Lauvao possibly leaving via free agency, it isn't getting stronger. O'Connell can come in right away and help alongside Trent Williams and second year center Chase Roullier.

Round Seven: Ray-Ray McLoud, WR, Clemson:
Newly acquired QB Alex Smith thrives when he has multiple weapons, the Redskins lack those. Between Jordan Reed's injuries and Josh Doctson's slow progression another speedy target should be on Washington's wish list. McCloud is that guy. He's got top end speed and is versatile enough to be moved all around the offense. He will be a great option for Jay Gruden and Alex Smith.

Round Seven: Zach Crabtree, OT, Oklahoma St:
Trent Williams and Morgan Moses are as tough as it gets, both playing with serious injuries last season. Crabtree can come in and be a solid depth piece in case one of them goes down. He has size and strength to be a solid fill in at the next level should Washington need a replacement plan for one of their tackles.

Thanks to Nathan for providing us with a great mock to start the week. We will have a guest mock again next week from another expert. BBQ hopes you like these perspectives from Redskins draft and free agent gurus.

Hail To The Redskins!

Thanks Nathan - interesting stuff!

I think a trade back is very likely as the Skins look to recoup the pick they gave up for Alex Smith. Only caveat is if someone they really have graded high unexpectedly drops to 13.

This kind of scenario, btw, is the only way the Skins get any sort of value for Sua Cravens. I can't fathom that there's a team out there willing to trade for him outright given his behavior last season.

Going to be fun to see what the team does at 13. Hey - I still think it's possible we go QB if there's someone we really love there. I definitely think we draft a QB in 2018 somewhere along the way.

I don't think Cravens has the kind of value one may think strictly based on his athletic ability.

The fact remains there are still significant questions about Cravens from the neck up and those are not likely to go away until he plays 1-2 seasons of 16 games with solid results.

I would think most teams will wait and see if Cravens is simply released by Washington after the draft.

If not and it appears the Redskins are actually willing to keep him on the active roster in 2018 there may be a chance to trade him during camp or the preseason for a future pick in 2019.

Also, that #33 overall pick is usually quite valuable. If you are smart as a GM you are in all likelihood able to select a player who had a pre-draft first round grade and pay him the second round scale for four years.

Remember the Giants moving up to #33 to select Landon Collins?

Remember when the Cowboys traded up with Washington go get our #35 pick in 2014 to take DeMarcus Lawrence?

We were able to get some real trade assets back from Dallas for that pick, much more than a player who has a questionable work ethic and commitment to the game and a future consideration.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.