• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

Did anyone follow Oklahoma this season? Just curious if Mayfield was in a balanced offense or were they passing like the skins.

He took nearly every snap from the shotgun but they had a strong run game with two good backs.

He took nearly every snap from the shotgun but they had a strong run game with two good backs.

Gotcha. Just want our FO to do its homework before grabbing a system guy who may not adjust well. A good chunk of Mayfield's highlights are read option runs...(flashback shudders)

Edit: Don't know anything about the guy/team other than highlights.

Gotcha. Just want our FO to do its homework before grabbing a system guy who may not adjust well. A good chunk of Mayfield's highlights are read option runs...(flashback shudders)

Edit: Don't know anything about the guy/team other than highlights.

He will be long gone by 13. Unless there is some trade up involved we are SOL with him.

I agree - no way he's available unless we have a top 5 Pick (and maybe not even then)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He won't be gone by 13 if BGO BBQ keeps putting out these twitter statements that he's Manzeil 2.0.
I kid, I kid....

actually the other criticism against him, and more valid one, is it wasn't a pro-style offense.

I don't think we should discount the vet market of QBs that's going to be out there... I'd be very surprised if 1 or more of the 'top QBs' in the draft arent there at 13.

Kirk Cousins
Case Keenum
Teddy Bridgewater
Alex Smith
Sam Bradford
Eli Manning

All guys who could get scooped up prior to the draft which could shift the teams draft mentality. Ahead of us in the order I see

1. Cleveland
2. NYG
4. Cleveland
5. Denver
6. NYJ
9. San Fran - Depends on Jimmy G. Lets say he re-signs an LTD, that takes them out of the 1st round QB race.
11. Miami
12. Cinci

These are the teams who I believe 'COULD' want to take a starting QB early.. Miami and Cinci are interesting because they both have guys under contract, but could decide to move on. 6 teams ahead of us.

If 1 team gets Kirk... take them off the list of potential 1st round QB picks. It would almost behoove us to let Kirk walk and hope he signs with one of the teams ahead of us in the draft... and my intent isn't that with the only option being drafting a QB at 13.

So... lets say for argument sake, that Kirk signs with Denver, because he's been linked there and it's apparently the buzz this week. That takes them out of the QB hunt at 5.

1. Cleveland - Sam Rosen. I don't believe a Free Agent would want to sign here... drafting might be their only option. Maybe Bradford as a stop gap on the cheap?
2. NYG - Josh Darnold
4. Cleveland took a QB so wouldn't take another one here.
5. Denver - Signs Kirk Cousins, therefore no longer considering QB with this pick.
6. NYJ - Josh Allen - This one is interesting. I could see them going after Bridgewater or a free agent because they do have a decent amount of money to spend. Conversation sake, they take Allen
9. San Fran - Dependent on Jimmy G...
11. Miami - Another interesting one because the owner said Tannehill is the starter this year. I could see them riding him out.
12. Cinci - Dalton is under contract but they could move on from him. Lewis re-signing does bode well for him to remain as the QB.

I don't think any of this is a stretch, so if things were to go this way, Mayfield and Rudolph are still on the board. Here's where it could get interesting. Buffalo has 21 and 22. If Mayfield falls, Arizona is at 15 and they very well could go QB in the 1st round... does Buffalo panic and try to move up? Some leverage is lost because Green Bay is behind us, and they would need to be absolutely in love with someone in order for it to work, but if we could get Buffalo steamed up could we possibly get 21 and 22 off of them for Mayfield?

People talk generally talk about either McCoy or a veteran acquisition being the "bridge QB" while the 2018 draftee develops.
But what about the possibility of Cousins being that bridge QB, on a 3rd Franchise Tag, however unlikely that scenario is ?
It may be the least likely scenario, but it's still a possibility.
It may seem ridiculous to pay him that much, just for one more year, but it can be seen as an investment for the future, and a better option, for the young draftee and sit and watch and learn closely from someone like Cousins.
Probably one of the bigger questions, along with the other big questions in such a scenario, is how would Cousins react to such a scenario, and how cooperative or involved, would he be with helping the new guy develop.

People talk generally talk about either McCoy or a veteran acquisition being the "bridge QB" while the 2018 draftee develops.
But what about the possibility of Cousins being that bridge QB, on a 3rd Franchise Tag, however unlikely that scenario is ?
It may be the least likely scenario, but it's still a possibility.
It may seem ridiculous to pay him that much, just for one more year, but it can be seen as an investment for the future, and a better option, for the young draftee and sit and watch and learn closely from someone like Cousins.
Probably one of the bigger questions, along with the other big questions in such a scenario, is how would Cousins react to such a scenario, and how cooperative or involved, would he be with helping the new guy develop.

The argument there is how many other pieces could have been had with that $34.5 mil this year? If we do that, could we have signed Brown and Breeland? Could we get a free agent DT, WR, RB, LG, ILB.. This may sound a little sour but we're not winning the superbowl next year, barring some sort of miracle... so why then pay a $34 mil tutor when you have one on the roster who has all the same information, just not the talent, and will cost you a fraction, at that point, its it he juice worth the squeeze?

There are other arguments as well. Gruden has made it clear he doesn't want to rent Cousins for another year. I also question (and I have to wonder if the team doesn't too?) Cousins commitment/motivation level under that scenario. If the guy wants to leave, and the Redskins block him for yet another year (which may result in some of Cousins preferred destinations drafting a QB instead of waiting), I don't see that contributing to a Pro Bowl year from him. He seemed disinterested to me even this past season as it drew to a close.

And in terms of mentoring a youngster, what can Kirk do that a Colt McCoy (who knows this offense as well as Kirk does) couldn't?

I cannot imagine we franchise tag Kirk just to rent him for a season - but I guess anything is possible with this team.

The argument there is how many other pieces could have been had with that $34.5 mil this year? If we do that, could we have signed Brown and Breeland? Could we get a free agent DT, WR, RB, LG, ILB..

That is a very valid argument.

This may sound a little sour but we're not winning the superbowl next year, barring some sort of miracle

But I can't agree that a Super Bowl is that far-fetched.
This is a league where guys like Nick Foles are leading teams to a Super Bowl. A guy who was benched by the Rams, when they were awful, and was let go by the Chiefs less than a year ago. A guy, who came off the bench late in the season to do so, and not only didn't play all year, but he didn't even play at all in the preseason due to injury. Then there's the Jags with Blake Bortles, who was a late 4th quarter comeback by the Pats, away from making the SB themselves.
So it's a league where anything is possible. If a team can start hitting and firing on the right cylinders, at the right times, anything is possible.

People love to come up with the right formula that it takes to make it to the Super Bowl.
As if there's just one or 2 ways to be a Super Bowl team (i.e. gotta have a franchise QB, vs gotta have a great defense debate).
But there isn't.
There are multiple combinations of a team "makeup" that can make them a winner.
There are multiple possible formulas that can cause a team to score more points than their opponent.

Last edited:
Gruden has made it clear he doesn't want to rent Cousins for another year.

He's also made it clear that he plays no part in Kirk's negotiations.
In addition, I'm sure Gruden did not want at all to rent Cousins for last season either.
So while Gruden may have input into the FO decisions, there is a question on how much weight is put on that input.

He doesn't make the decisions - you're right. But I think his 'input' probably matters a little bit :) I really think the team has tired of Cousins unwillingness to negotiate in good faith. It's hard to develop a winning team when you don't know who your starter is going to be for the forseeable future.

That is a very valid argument.

But I can't agree that a Super Bowl is that far-fetched.
This is a league where guys like Nick Foles are leading teams to a Super Bowl. A guy who was benched by the Rams, when they were awful, and was let go by the Chiefs less than a year ago. A guy, who came off the bench late in the season to do so, and not only didn't play all year, but he didn't even play at all in the preseason due to injury. Then there's the Jags with Blake Bortles, who was a late 4th quarter comeback by the Pats, away from making the SB themselves.
So it's a league where anything is possible. If a team can start hitting and firing on the right cylinders, at the right times, anything is possible.

People love to come up with the right formula that it takes to make it to the Super Bowl.
As if there's just one or 2 ways to be a Super Bowl team (i.e. gotta have a franchise QB, vs gotta have a great defense debate).
But there isn't.
There are multiple combinations of a team "makeup" that can make them a winner.
There are multiple possible formulas that can cause a team to score more points than their opponent.

I absolutely agree that anything is possible... I just don't see it, personal opinion, but regardless of course I have hope.

The other wrinkle I will point out is that if Kirk signs with another team... that's one less team going after a possible QB in the draft, could open up options for us.

From JP Finlay via twitter-

Kirk Cousins doesn't sound like he will do anything contract wise until the tag deadline. “Let the Redskins do what they want to do”

Call me a masochist but I can't wait to see this guy move on.

Jamey Eisenberg‏Verified account @JameyEisenberg 4m4 minutes ago
Kirk Cousins on free agency: Would prefer to be with the Redskins but knows it's out of his control. "We'll see what they choose to do and go from there," Cousins said.

So Kirk did some interview w/ another reporter. He keeps talking out of both sides of his mouth. If HE wanted to, he could negotiate w/ the team now. His "woe is me" - it's only up to the team act is growing old. Especially after his "look at me" event thing with 106.7 where he openly discussed his contract.

While the FO did muck things up and often make questionable choices, Kirk's situation at this particular moment has me wishing he would just be honest or shut up!

The quarterback now sounds to me like the adults in a Peanuts cartoon.

I'm done with Cousins. I don't want him back in 2018 - period. He's managed to move me to Brother Ax's position. Let the Colt McCoy era begin...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.