• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

Bill Polian was making fun of Gesiki because he can't block.

He'd bust a gut watching Reed and Davis trying to block then.

Of course, they're not required to by Gruden. I think it's merely a request.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone in BGO land.

Today we bring you the fourth round of mocks of the 2018 offseason and the last set for this month. Free agency is getting closer and the Super Bowl is lurking. We have two mocks for you today and that will be a weekly feature at BBQ for the next few weeks. One mock features the idea of keeping Kirk Cousins and the second mock will be devoted to a scenario of not retaining him.

We will continue this format until we know the status of Kirk Cousins. It's very complicated, but we hope to know more in the coming weeks.

The format for the mocks this offseason will feature shorter descriptions this year of each player. Time constraints from the fall and early winter have forced us to cram a lot of research into a smaller period of time.

Feel free to offer your own ideas about the draft, free agency, team cuts, team additions, coaching changes and anything else related to these subjects. Too, we'd like to see your mocks if you are so inclined.

An extra note: These mocks may not necessarily be what BBQ wants or what the members at BGO may prefer. These mocks are designed to try and get into the mind of the Redskins brain trust and see what they will do.

Without any further delays, let's take a look at the latest mocks of 2018.

Team Needs:
Quarterback (?)
Running Back
Wide Receiver
Tight End (?)
Left Guard
Defensive Tackle
Inside Linebacker
Strike Safety

Mock One: Kirk Cousins Returns

Round One: Trade
The Redskins trade down in round one as the Bills offer both of their first round picks and a fifth rounder.

Round One: Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
Payne is the space eating defensive tackle that Jim Tomsula has been coveting since his arrival at Redskins Park.
Other Possible Targets:
Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
Courtland Sutton, WR, Southern Methodist
Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia
Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS, Alabama
Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama

Round One: Billy Price, OG/C, Ohio St.
Price would be an immediate starter at left guard and could man the position for twelve years or more.

Round Two: Ronald Jones, RB, Southern California
The Redskins can't continue to rely on mid round prospects at running back.
Other Possible Targets:
Vita Vea, DT, Washington
Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia
Maurice Hurst, DE, Michigan
Will Hernandez, OG, Texas-El Paso
Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
Bryce Love, RB, Stanford
DeShon Elliott, FS, Texas

Round Three: James Washington, WR, Oklahoma St.
The Redskins need a speedy receiver and one who can stretch the field. Washington fits that description.
Other Possible Targets:
Duke Ejiofor, DE, Wake Forest
Wyatt Teller, OG, Virginia Tech
Frank Ragnow, G/C, Arkansas
Tim Settle, DT, Virginia Tech
Malik Jefferson, ILB, Texas
Kyzir White, SS, West Virginia
Andrew Brown, DE, Virginia

Round Four: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn St.
Jordan Reed could be released by the Redskins or traded in the offseason.
Other Possible Targets:
Justin Jones, DT, North Carolina St.
Luke Falk, QB, Washington St.
Uchenna Nwosu, OLB, Southern California
Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota St.
Harrison Phillips, DE, Stanford
Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma St.

Round Five: Micah Kiser, ILB, Virginia
The Redskins venture down the road and find a good inside linebacker who can also play special teams.
Other Possible Targets:
Jaylen Dunlap, CB, Illinois
Cam Serigne, TE, Wake Forest
Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis
Marcus Baugh, TE, Ohio St.
Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona St.
B.J. Hill, DT, North Carolina St.

Round Five: Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond
Lauletta is an underrated signal caller who would have the benefit of learning from a veteran.

Round Six: K.C. McDermott, G/OT, Miami
Having depth and a great deal of flexibility along the offensive line helps the Hurricanes prospect.
Other Possible Targets:
Allen Lazard, WR, Iowa St.
Breeland Speaks, DE, Mississippi
Steve Ishmael, WR, Syracuse
Quin Blanding, SS, Virginia
Jack Cichy, ILB, Wisconsin
Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana

Round Seven: Jake Wieneke, WR, South Dakota St.
Coming from a lesser known program and conference, Wieneke actually has excellent skills and is an underrated prospect.
Other Possible Targets:
Brandon Facyson, CB, Virginia Tech
Brendan Mahon, G/OT, Penn St.
Mike White, QB, Western Kentucky
Matt Elam, DT, Kentucky
Coleman Shelton, OG/C, Washington

Round Seven: Folorunso Fatukasi, DE, Connecticut
A late round prospect who was a defensive tackle for the Huskies, but would be an end at the next level.

Mock Two: Kirk Cousins Does Not Return
In this second mock, we go with the possibility that the Redskins were able to add a quarterback in free agency and will not draft one in the early rounds.

Round One: Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama

Round Two: Ronald Jones, RB, Southern California

Round Three: James Washington, WR, Oklahoma St.

Round Four: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn St.

Round Five: Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond

Round Six: K.C. McDermott, G/OT, Miami

Round Seven: Jake Wieneke, WR, South Dakota St.

Round Seven: Folorunso Fatukasi, DE, Connecticut

There are your fourth round of mocks for 2018. The draft will be here before you know it, but we have many mocks in the weeks and months ahead. See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

If these players are still on the board at 13 my order of precedence is...

Quenton Nelson
Vel Vita
Josh Allen

If those guys are gone I'd be cool with a Bills tradedown like B.B. mentioned too

Several of the guys the Redskins met with at the Senior Bowl had impressive days or some standout plays in the game. Specifically, White, Ballage, Penny, and Gesicki on offense.

At QB though, if we are serious about bolstering the position, I think those calling the shots in Washington must have been smiling seeing the way Lauletta and Allen played today.

I'd be sprinting to the podium at 13 if Josh Allen is still sitting in the green room. The guy downright looks the part of an NFL quarterback.

Yeah, I don't really care who they draft. I just want it to work.

But I agree, if he's available, they should swoop in on Josh Allen.

Having a J. Allen on both offense and defense would be, like, Yahtzee. Right?

Allen has *bust* written all over him to me. Guy did not get recruited - at all, 0 offers - out of high school. He was only able to manage a 56% completion rate at Wyoming, and his performances against the toughest MWC opponents was abysmal. When he left the pocket, he was inaccurate as hell. He's not a great short passer, something Gruden has to have.

He's got a rocket for an arm and physically he's your perfect, prototypical pocket passer. But if we draft him, I hope you like Jay Cutler, because that's pretty much who we'll be getting imho.

I want Mayfield for all the traits he's got that Allen lacks. Guy has the 'it' factor too - a fiery competitor type who CAN take the game on his back and snatch a win as time winds down. He's very accurate and he has a good enough arm to make all the throws. Hardly ever gets sacked and has great pocket awareness.

If Mayfield is gone (and he will be most likely) then I love Luke Falk. This kid is the hidden gem of this draft imho. He is very accurate, completing nearly 70% of his college passes. He is a shotgun QB, so he will have to adjust to playing under center. But I like him a lot.

Lamar Jackson would also be on my radar. I know - RG3II. But a better comparison would be Michael Vick - because he is slippery as hell and has the ability to elude the pass rush and break out. He has an amazing arm and is a lot more accurate than Griffin was (contrary to popular opinion, the reason Griffin is no longer in the NFL is his poor accuracy, not the injuries or diva attitude). Jackson could be a star and I'm betting he's available at 13.

Several of the guys the Redskins met with at the Senior Bowl had impressive days or some standout plays in the game. Specifically, White, Ballage, Penny, and Gesicki on offense.

At QB though, if we are serious about bolstering the position, I think those calling the shots in Washington must have been smiling seeing the way Lauletta and Allen played today.

I'd be sprinting to the podium at 13 if Josh Allen is still sitting in the green room. The guy downright looks the part of an NFL quarterback.

Just as aside - I don't think it matters one bit if a player tanks or shines at the Senior Bowl. These scouts and coaches are going to look at every college play these QBs made on video. They are looking at their production in real, live game action against real teams. I think the Senior Bowl gives them an opportunity to meet these kids, get an up close look at who they are physically, and mentally, but in terms of performance, I'd be surprised if that does a lot to move the needle much either up or down for scouts.

I'm coming to the conclusion that drafting Mason Rudolph would be the 3rd biggest mistake this franchise has made in drafting QB. He's big, slow, stares down his receivers and isn't very decisive in the pocket. Those are qualities that get you killed in the NFL. I worry that he's a 2017 version of Heath Shuler. I really hope we don't go that route...

Well, like I said, I don't care which QB they draft. Just so long as he turns out to be our multiple Super Bowl winning franchise QB for the next 15yrs.

And, as much as everyone knows I think Gruden should have been fired, if we draft a QB in the 1st, Gruden is likely safe for 3 more years.

Someone needs to shove a golden horseshoe up his ass. lol

Neither did Aaron Rodgers.
He had to start at a community college.
Yea, I know Rodgers is one in a million.
Just sayin, that's not necessarily a measuring stick.

Lol. I hear what you're saying. I'd say it's less of a measuring stick, and more a reflection that the guy may have the best arm in this draft, but he may still be a project despite that. Allen is the bright shiny toy in this draft that Skins fans always worry about. That rocket arm doesn't alter the reality that the guy is not a complete QB. Coaches always think they can fix QBs with rocket arms with major deficits in other parts of their game. They're usually wrong. He's a terrible fit for a Gruden-style offense because he's simply not an accurate passer and has poor touch on his short passes.

On another note, Lauletta is an interesting possibility. If we go that route it's almost certainly because we didn't want to use an early pick at QB - and plan to let a youngster sit behind Colt McCoy for 2 or 3 years to learn. Lauletta doesn't look to be a guy that you could start right away. But he could be another hidden gem that you don't have to pluck in the first 2 rounds.

I want Mayfield for all the traits he's got that Allen lacks. Guy has the 'it' factor too - a fiery competitor type who CAN take the game on his back and snatch a win as time winds down. He's very accurate and he has a good enough arm to make all the throws. Hardly ever gets sacked and has great pocket awareness.

A thousand times yes.

Funny and ironic, I just read this on Mayfield :

I think a better comparison for Mayfield is Colt McCoy coming out of college. I know OU fans won't appreciate this comparison, but I think they are similar athletes and possess similar arm talent. Both guys were big-time winners in college and I think Mayfield, like McCoy, will have a long NFL career as a solid No. 2 QB.

(although the article was written right before the 2017 season, so take that for what it's worth)
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...irst-look-scouting-oklahoma-qb-baker-mayfield

The comparison of Mayfield to McCoy (that sounds like an old feud) is bogus. Two different styles even if both of them played in similar college systems.

Josh Allen will succeed, but only if he is in the right system. He wouldn't do well in Oakland, Jacksonville, Philadelphia, Washington, New Orleans, Atlanta , Green Bay, or Minnesota. He potentially could do well in some systems like we see in Arizona, Dallas, New England, Detroit, Cincinnati, New York Jets/Giants, and Denver.

Lauletta reminds me of Jimmy Garoppolo, but possibly a bit better. Would it be surprising if he ended up in New England? I wouldn't mind if the Redskins took him in the third. Yes, I think he is that good. Lauletta would need a year to adjust, but it will be worth it.

Mason Rudolph. I feel like he has the mobility of Herman Munster and the mechanics of Lurch. However, if he is there in the 6th or 7th round, then we should take him. A QB at Michigan in the late 90s had the same comparisons and we know what happened.

Lamar Jackson is intriguing. So much so that he could be as good as Deshaun Watson this past season. I don't know if the Redskins would take him at 13. It all depends how the first twelve picks unfold.

Just wanted to chip in here.

I've been lurking more than anything lately because we don't really get much access to the college games etc here so I don't know much about the players your talking about other than what's said here.

But I'm enjoying reading all your opinions. :D Carry on! :D

Saying that I did read this kind of humourous post on The Ringer this morning about J.Allen.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/1/26/16932920/josh-allen-wyoming-quarterback-hype-nfl-draft

Last edited:
Uncle Rico-like arm strength... that did make me snort out-loud.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.