• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

Free Agents Obtained:

Orlando Scandrick, CB
Scandrick is probably going to fill the “Will Blackmon role” this season. He may play sparingly if many of the younger players are ready to step forward. That could also put his place on the roster in jeopardy. However, it is still good to have a seasoned veteran around for leadership and stability.

I've repeatedly seen "experts" designate Scandrick as the starter on the outside, opposite Norman.
I found that both scary, and difficult to believe.
I trust your assessment, so I'm relieved to see that's not the case, and can now be assured those guys don't know what they're talking about.

I've repeatedly seen "experts" designate Scandrick as the starter on the outside, opposite Norman.
I found that both scary, and difficult to believe.
I trust your assessment, so I'm relieved to see that's not the case, and can now be assured those guys don't know what they're talking about.

Yeah, the starter status for him is not going to happen unless there are numerous injuries. Will Blackmon was needed during the time he was here and I see the same role for Scandrick. With Adonis Alexander now in the fold (he was signed just after being drafted) adds a new wrinkle into everything. Not saying Scandrick is on the bubble, but if the young players step up quickly, he could be cut.

Gruden has decided to bring in Breeland today.
Jon Gruden

Been seeing some tweets from him that suggest he understands he needs to be more humble. Whether that is true or not, I don't know, but if the kid has grown up, is willing to start over...he has some talent.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings to all. The dog days of summer continue to bring the heat and training camp arrives on Thursday. Hello to everyone on social media. We extend an invitation to take a look around here and hope you will become a member.

BBQ hopes your week is off to a great start. Today will be devoted to evaluating the future potential of each drafted and undrafted player. Expectations are high enough already for this class and we will take a look at how their first season could unfold.

These evaluations are highly subjective, but we will attempt to look into the future and see what kind of impact each player will have with the Redskins. Will there be any long term starters? Will there be players who provide depth? Who will be a practice squad hero? Who will have a short career in football? Who will have memories of lasting one summer in the NFL?

Let's get right to it.

Drafted Players

Daron Payne, DE/DT
Payne will likely have a solid rookie season and be a force on the defensive line. The Alabama product could have a chance at some post-season honors.

Derrius Guice, RB
Could this be the franchise running back the Redskins have been looking for since Clinton Portis retired? Guice may have a very good rookie season, but the passing offense could sap him of some rushing yards.

Geron Christian, OT
Geron Christian will make the roster of fifty-three, but he could end up being a healthy scratch on game days as he spends 2018 adjusting to and learning the game. He is widely expected to be the swing tackle by 2019.

Troy Apke, FS
Apke could see a fair amount of time in the defensive backfield, especially on long passing downs. Look for him to spend a lot of time with the special teams unit. One of the unknowns of this year's draft class.

Tim Settle, DT
Settle provided great value in the fifth round as most scouting services had him slotted in the second and third rounds. Settle provides quality depth and figures to be in the rotation a few times each game. Likely needs a year of adjusting to the NFL.

Adonis Alexander, CB/SS/FS (Supplemental)
Versatile defensive back who has a very realistic chance of making the roster. Good size. Long frame with long strides – helps to mask his slow speed a bit. Another player from the famed Virginia Tech secondary. If he makes the roster, Alexander could be a healthy scratch on game days until he adjusts to the NFL. Any special teams skills could be a plus.

Shaun Dion Hamilton, ILB
Hamilton is a talented linebacker, but injuries over the last two years derailed what was shaping up to be a stellar collegiate career. His selection in the sixth round is a classic low risk, high reward move by the Redskins. A candidate for injured reserve in his first year.

Greg Stroman, CB
Stroman joins a logjam of cornerbacks and the competition in camp is likely to be spirited and a tight battle to make the roster. Stroman possibly makes the team as a punt returner as well. Possible practice squad candidate, but could be snatched up by a cornerback needy team in such a scenario.

Trey Quinn, WR
Trey Quinn is the most intriguing player in this draft class. BBQ had him pegged as a fourth rounder, but he was never considered by us as we focused more on the offensive and defensive lines and players at other positions. The last player taken in the draft has a very realistic chance of making the roster.

Undrafted Free Agents

The following players have a chance of making the roster:
Casey Dunn, C
Quin Blanding, SS
Timon Parris, OT
Simmie Cobbs, WR
Cam Sims, WR
Elijah Wellman, FB

The following players have a chance of making the practice squad:
Casey Dunn, C
Quin Blanding, SS
Timon Parris, OT
Simmie Cobbs, WR
Cam Sims, WR
Elijah Wellman, FB
Danny Johnson, CB
Ranthony Texada, CB
Vontae Diggs, LB
Jerod Fernandez, LB
Martez Carter, RB
Garrett Hudson, TE
Matt Flanagan, TE
Darvin Kidsy, WR
Shay Fields, WR

Some of these career observations could be too optimistic. Some could be too pessimistic. How do you think the careers of these players will unfold? Feel free to agree or disagree. Too, feel free to post any of your career evaluations and expectations of these draftees and UDFAs.

On Wednesday we will have a pre-camp roster projection. Starting later in the day on Thursday, BBQ will have reports and observations from camp. As camp ends and the preseason continues, we will have more reports and roster projections. This off-season blog will have its final entry in early September.

See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

Been seeing some tweets from him that suggest he understands he needs to be more humble. Whether that is true or not, I don't know, but if the kid has grown up, is willing to start over...he has some talent.

I wish we would bring him back. He's got a lot of talent, I think he just wants to be a no. 1 guy. Bring him in on a 2 year deal and let him prove it. I've heard some locals talkin about how easy it is to get out of Norman's deal after this season, so if Bree wants a chance to be a no. 1 guy... why not do it in a defense he's played in his whole career. Worst case, we still have Norman under contract into next season with Bree as a solid no.2. Best case, Bree proves valuable and we can approach Norman to restructure down that HUGE cap number and extend him... Having options is never a bad thing.

First step in being a #1 CB in the NFL, show that you can be a #1 CB in the NFL :) I don't think Breeland has ever shown that, has he? I agree 100% with you that talented depth is something you can never have enough of. He's got the physical talent. I think the team's concerns are three-fold. First and foremost, he hasn't been able to play consistently and with smarts at the level we'd expect of a true #1 (but he wants #1 $$). Secondly, how 'coachable' he is appears debatable. He's prone to pouting and has a reputation as a hot head and for immaturity - something even Darrell Green has tried to counsel him about. And thirdly, he seems to spend a lot of time on things other than football, so I do believe there are some questions about his commitment level.

I don't know that the Redskins want him back...and I am pretty confident Breeland doesn't want to come back.

We have an old school defensive coaching staff in DC now. I just don't think they want a player who is going to be a headcase or distraction. Just my opinion.

Btw - your post raises one of the issues that every single NFL Front Office struggles with at times. Where does the line between retaining or adding talent to your roster, and ensuring great team chemistry and a positive locker room lie? Of course, ideally, those two things go hand in hand. But I think that the reality is that with 25% of NFL players, questions about attitude, personal conduct, and/or level of professionalism are raised, and team decision makers have to decide if an individual's talent level and team need justifies taking a risk.

I think one can argue either side of the coin with a guy like Breeland. It's also not a one-sided equation. Those types of players have to decide whether a prospective team's concerns have validity, whether or not they are going to make an effort to address the concerns, and/or whether they trust that a franchise is going to treat them fairly and in good faith. I think the intrapersonal stuff plays almost as big a part in these decisions as the talent evaluation does.

If Breeland were to own his previous challenges and pledge to work hard at doing better going forward, I'd be willing to bet the team would embrace him coming back. But I don't think he sees himself as having anything he 'needs to work on', and that's probably the biggest barrier to him returning.

Btw - your post raises one of the issues that every single NFL Front Office struggles with at times. Where does the line between retaining or adding talent to your roster, and ensuring great team chemistry and a positive locker room lie? Of course, ideally, those two things go hand in hand. But I think that the reality is that with 25% of NFL players, questions about attitude, personal conduct, and/or level of professionalism are raised, and team decision makers have to decide if an individual's talent level and team need justifies taking a risk.

I think one can argue either side of the coin with a guy like Breeland. It's also not a one-sided equation. Those types of players have to decide whether a prospective team's concerns have validity, whether or not they are going to make an effort to address the concerns, and/or whether they trust that a franchise is going to treat them fairly and in good faith. I think the intrapersonal stuff plays almost as big a part in these decisions as the talent evaluation does.

If Breeland were to own his previous challenges and pledge to work hard at doing better going forward, I'd be willing to bet the team would embrace him coming back. But I don't think he sees himself as having anything he 'needs to work on', and that's probably the biggest barrier to him returning.

I do agree with you that he likely does not want to come back here. With a history of tension with the coaching staff (while I do wonder if the issue was with Pryor and Gruden just had to intervene, so the problem may not have been specifically with Gruden), teamed with his clear desire to get paid could outweigh his value HERE, I wonder if his short sided mentality of a pay day, may stunt his growth as an NFL DB. Where-ever he signs, not including Washington, he's going to be behind the rest of the players in the defensive backfield, because he hasnt been to OTAs, he hasn't had a playbook, and he'll be walking into camp brand new. Add to that, the failed physical and any possible lingering issues that may come with the foot injury. Will he be 100% ready to go before the ink dries on the deal? Do teams know that, and are they not willing to pay top $$ to a guy? He's been making the rounds, and over the last 18 hours has been tweeting things that would appear he's getting close to a deal, but that's all subjective.

I don't think he's proven his ability to be no.1, which is why this may be an ideal place to prove it. I've seen flashes of him being able to do it, but then I've also seen him get absolutely manhandled. My no. 1 CB needs to be consistently better than above average. Of course you'd LOVE to have a shut down guy, but they don't grow on trees. Bree Island isn't open for 16 games a year... and thats what I need from my no. 1 guy. He shut down Dez, but got abused by Antonio Brown.... granted a lot of DBs have.

My guess is the coaching staff view Dunbar, Moreau as higher ceiling players that are coachable and fit into the team concept.

I agree that Josh Norman barring a pro bowl season is likely gone after 2018.

We need his leadership now but in a year paying him the as the #2 salary on the team seems unjustified at age 31.

Coming shortly, a pre-camp roster prediction. Can't post it in the morning - tomorrow is a very busy day.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings to all. The dog days of summer continue to bring the heat and training camp arrives tomorrow. Hello to everyone on social media. We extend an invitation to take a look around here and hope you will become a member.

As the Washington Redskins open their training camp, the roster will begin to take shape and the regular season will inch closer each day. The Redskins final roster of fifty-three will be revealed just after the last preseason game, but it is never too early to speculate.

There could be some surprises. There could be astonishing cuts. A free agent or two could be added to the team. A trade may occur. In other words, the roster is far from being determined at this juncture.

Let's get right to it!

2018 Roster Prediction:

Quarterbacks:
Alex Smith (Starter)
Colt McCoy
Kevin Hogan

Running Backs:
Derrius Guice (Starter)
Chris Thompson (Third Down Back)
Samaje Perine
Elijah Wellman (Fullback)

Wide Receivers:
Josh Doctson (Starter)
Paul Richardson (Starter)
Jamison Crowder (Starter - Slot)
Trey Quinn
Brian Quick
Simmie Cobbs

Tight Ends:
Jordan Reed (Starter)
Vernon Davis
Jeremy Sprinkle

Offensive Tackles:
Trent Williams (Starter)
Morgan Moses (Starter)
Ty Nsekhe
Geron Christian

Offensive Guards:
Brandon Scherff (Starter)
Shawn Lauvao (Starter)
Tyler Catalina
Tony Bergstrom (Backup Center)

Centers:
Chase Roullier (Starter)
Tony Bergstrom (Backup Guard)

Defensive Linemen:
Jonathan Allen (Starter)
Daron Payne (Starter)
Stacy McGee (Starter)
Matt Ioannidis
Tim Settle
Anthony Lanier
Ziggy Hood

Outside Linebackers:
Ryan Kerrigan (Starter)
Preston Smith (Starter)
Pernell McPhee
Ryan Anderson

Inside Linebackers:
Mason Foster (Starter)
Zach Brown (Starter)
Zach Vigil
Josh Harvey-Clemons (Strike Safety, Inside Linebacker)

Cornerbacks:
Josh Norman (Starter)
Quinton Dunbar (Starter)
Fabian Moreau (Slot)
Orlando Scandrick
Adonis Alexander
Josh Holsey

Strong/Strike Safeties:
DJ Swearinger (Starter)
Deshazor Everett
Josh Harvey-Clemons (Strike Safety, Inside Linebacker)

Free Safeties:
Montae Nicholson (Starter)
Troy Apke

Special Teams:
Tress Way (Starter)
Dustin Hopkins (Starter)
Nick Sundberg (Starter)
Jamison Crowder (Punt Returner)
Various, TBD (Kick Returner)

Practice Squad:

Kyle Kalis
Cam Sims
Quin Blanding
Casey Dunn
Robert Davis
Timon Parris
Greg Stroman
Garrett Hudson
Keith Marshall
Fish Smithson

Injured Reserve:
Arie Kouandjio
Shaun Dion Hamilton (BBQ Projection)

Position Battles, Storylines To Follow:

Shaun Dion Hamilton could be placed on injured reserve and this would allow him to fully heal from injuries during his collegiate career at Alabama.

The running back battle between Robert Kelley and Kapri Bibbs will be close. It could go either way. But we have a surprise for now. We are predicting that UDFA Elijah Wellman will make the team as the fourth running back, but his designation will be as a fullback.

Brian Quick gets the nod over Robert Davis for now. Could be the toughest battle in camp.

Tony Bergstrom is listed here as a guard and center. He could be pushed for a roster spot by Casey Dunn.

Josh Harvey-Clemons is penciled in to play inside linebacker and strike safety (the Su'a Cravens/Kyshoen Jarrett role).

After the acquisition of Adonis Alexander, Greg Stroman may not make the final roster, but he could make the team as a punt returner.

Look for Orlando Scandrick to take on the role that Will Blackmon assumed in recent seasons – a smart veteran presence with good leadership skills. However, if the younger players step up at corner, Scandrick could be on the chopping block.

The roster prediction of fifty-three for the Redskins is merely a guessing game just prior to training camp. Injuries can alter the roster and dictate changes as needed. A talented player being released by another team may happen – a left guard comes to mind. Younger players could supplant veterans. A surprise trade can happen at any moment. For now, this is a best guess scenario. Training camp is almost here and the intense battle for roster spots will begin in earnest.

We'll have updates from training camp each day or as needed.

Hail To The Redskins!

Wide Receivers:
Josh Doctson (Starter)
Paul Richardson (Starter)
Jamison Crowder (Starter - Slot)
Trey Quinn
Brian Quick
Simmie Cobbs

Tight Ends:
Jordan Reed (Starter)
Vernon Davis
Jeremy Sprinkle

This does nothing to comfort any fears going into the season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.