• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

Montae Nicholson showed definite ability to impact games with his athleticism as a rookie, so I would not be in such a rush to draft a safety high.

I think we have a tandem in Swearinger and Nicholson we can move forward with IF we get the help in the front seven that we need.

On the other hand if we draft a safety #1 and continue to trot out Stacy McGhee, Terrell McClain and Ziggy Hood as guys playing significant snaps each week, it's not going to matter.

If a qb has time to throw and the Redskins can't stop the run the best secondary in history isn't going to be enough to make up for it.

'I'm just so tired...'

Man up brother. Think you're the only long-term beleagured Skins fan around? Being a die-hard NFL fan requires some toughness and perseverance :)

Ante up and pitch in.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone in BGO land.

Today we bring you another guest mock from Redskins fan and Redskins Capital Connection analyst, Robbie Duncan. Last week, Breaking Football's Nathan Britton gave us some great insights into the second guest mock. Robbie has graciously given some of his time to present us with a superb mock for this week. He graduated not too long ago from Old Dominion University and was an offensive lineman (four year starter) for their football program.

BBQ hopes you are enjoying these guest mocks. Next week will feature another surprise guest – he is with Breaking Football as well.

You can find Redskins Capital Connection at redskinscapitalconnection.com. There you will find the latest podcasts, Redskins updates, expert commentary, and unique insights to our favorite team. In the DMV region, RCC appears Tuesday mornings on Radio980 – be sure to check it out. Robbie provides mocks, free agency updates, and Redskins analysis for them on a regular basis and is the host of their “On The Warpath” podcast. His insights are always thorough and well-reasoned. You can find him on twitter at @RobbieDuncanOL and we recommend him and last week's guest, @NathanBritton_ as follows.

I hope you appreciate the time and effort he put into this entry on our behalf. His mock is presented here in our format with no editing from me. I know you will like his perspectives on each player. I certainly do.

FYI – we hope to have several more guests over the next month or so with their mocks each week. We will not have a free agency update tomorrow or a prospect update on Thursday. Another BBQ mock arrives on Friday.

Let's get right to Robbie's mock.

2018 Redskins Draft:

Round One: Da'Ron Payne, DL, Alabama:
The Redskins need more quality depth on the defensive line and Da'Ron Payne is arguably the best DT in the Draft. Payne has the potential a force in the NFL. Reminds me a lot of Fletcher Cox. Big, strong, and disruptive against the run while also flashing as a pass rusher. Adding him to the defensive line with fellow Alabama alum, Jonathan Allen, would be a very good young defensive line.

Round Two: Ronald Jones, RB, Southern California:
The Redskins run game leaves a lot to be desired. While Chris Thompson is a great back, he can't handle the full time starting responsibilities due to his size. Rookie Samaje Perine didn't do much to solidify as a reliable back either, with the case of fumblitis being his biggest concern. Jones is an electric back with home run ability and speed that also shows the ability to be a number one guy. Jones and Thompson would be a dynamic duo of running backs.

Round Four: Wyatt Teller, OG, Virginia Tech:
Redskins are reportedly moving on from Shawn Lauvao and Spencer Long leaving a need to upgrade at the LG. Luckily the draft this year is flooded with interior offensive line talent. While it would be nice to get a top guy like Will Hernandez or Isaiah Wynn, Wyatt Teller is a big and very strong guard that shows all the qualities you look for in a starting guard.

Round Five: Kyzir White, SS, West Virginia:
Redskins need to add more depth to their safety lineup. DJ Swearinger and Montae Nicholson are good starters, but Nicholson has proven to be somewhat injury prone. White is a talented safety and after having a great showing at the Senior Bowl, this would be a fantastic value pick while also filling in a need.

Round Six: Adonis Alexander, CB, Virginia Tech:
Redskins made the big move to get a new starting QB in Alex Smith with losing Kendall Fuller is one of the casualties of that move. While the Redskins do seem to be pleased with their current depth at corner with Norman, Dunbar, Moreau, and Holsey they still could use more depth to groom in case it doesn't pan out. Defensive backs coach Torrian Gray should have the inside track to Alexander having come from Virginia Tech as the DB's coach.

Round Seven: Fred Warner, OLB, Brigham Young:
Fred Warner is a very smooth athletic linebacker. Redskins could use more depth at inside linebacker, with it potentially becoming a huge need should the Redskins not re-sign Zach Brown. Warner had a great showing at the Senior Bowl and showed the potential to be a good linebacker in this league. His athletic ability being his biggest strength this would be a major value pick this late in the draft. Warner to me is a 4th round prospect, I'd be shocked if he's here this late, but alas he was in the simulated mock draft I ran.

Round Seven: Darren Carrington II, WR, Utah:
The wide receiver position left a lot to be desired in the 2017 season. With Doctson still developing the Redskins will need more targets for Alex Smith and to open up more opportunities for Doctson. Carrington is a tall WR with the ability to high point the ball in 50/50 situations.

Thanks to Robbie for providing us with a great mock to start the week. We will have a guest mock again next week from another expert. BBQ hopes you like these perspectives from Redskins draft and free agent gurus.

Hail To The Redskins!

Welcome to BGO Robbie and thanks for the great mock! Guys, check out Redskins Capital Connection when you get a chance - great site!

I like this one especially. We'd fill a lot of needs. Biggest challenge this season is addressing both the need for a true #1 WR and #1 RB. Frankly, I'm not sure it will be possible to do both in a single offseason unless a) we forego a DL early (something that would cause most Skins fans to howl), or b) get lucky with a big tradedown and an extra pick. The Skins under Gruden/Allen have not made a lot of splashy free agency moves and I don't expect that to change next month. They are more draft-centric which I think is a positive development. I think we absolutely need to go after a true game-changing RB in the first 2 rounds if that guy is there. I personally might prioritize that need over any defensive needs. If we do draft a WR, I'd prefer we do it in the later rounds as Robbie predicted here - because it IS possible to find a hidden gem in later rounds as recent history has suggested. Our best WR currently was just a 4th round pick - and there are plenty of examples of great WRs not selected until round 4 or later in the NFL. I believe, to get a true impact RB, you're better off picking him on day 1 or early 2nd round.

Welcome to the site Robbie. Nice job on the mock draft too.

I believe most fans would be happy with those early picks.

I mentioned that the Redskins likely can't find both a #1 WR and #1 RB in the draft (assuming they even agree those are needs :)).

Wonder if there's any chance they go after Jacksonville WR Allen Robinson in free agency?

This guy is a real #1 . Yeah, he's coming off an ACL. But he's 6'3" and just 24 years old with 4 years of NFL experience. His stats over the 2015/2016 full seasons (with questionable Jaguar QBs throwing passes) were:

2015: 80 catches, 1400 yards receiving, 17.5 yds/catch, with 14 TDs
2016: 73 catches, 883 yards receiving, 12.1 yds/catch, with 6 TDs

He'd immediately be our #1 , and he's big, shifty, runs good routes, has good hands, and a good vertical game.

He might come cheaper after the ACL which is of course a risk. I'd go get this guy if I were the Redskins.

'I'm just so tired...'

Man up brother. Think you're the only long-term beleagured Skins fan around? Being a die-hard NFL fan requires some toughness and perseverance :)

Ante up and pitch in.

More than glad to. So how do I become GM?

Does Om have to "knight " me or do I have to drink some of your meade?

Do me and Henry have to become "blood brothers" Josey Wales style in hatred for the Giants?

Or do I need to have someone hit me in the head while wearing my Redskins helmet, all the while singing Hail to the Redskins?? :insane:

I promise I'll get us linemen!!

Post a mock and we'll submit it to the powers that be at Redskins Park. Remember us when you hit the big time.

I mentioned that the Redskins likely can't find both a #1 WR and #1 RB in the draft (assuming they even agree those are needs :)).

Wonder if there's any chance they go after Jacksonville WR Allen Robinson in free agency?

This guy is a real #1 . Yeah, he's coming off an ACL. But he's 6'3" and just 24 years old with 4 years of NFL experience. His stats over the 2015/2016 full seasons (with questionable Jaguar QBs throwing passes) were:

He'd immediately be our #1 , and he's big, shifty, runs good routes, has good hands, and a good vertical game.

He might come cheaper after the ACL which is of course a risk. I'd go get this guy if I were the Redskins.

If the Redskins are going to sign a free agent wideout, this is the guy. He's been amazing playing with one of the worst passers in the league. The injury will be a risk, but as you stated, could make him affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the rumor. But he's coming off an ACL - so I can still hope :)

I totally agree with this line of thinking. Our approach to free agency needs to be to bring in a WR with NFL experience. I personally don't see how adding a rookie via the draft instantly upgrades a group consisting of Doctson, Grant, Crowder, etc. We need proven players at wideout that can instantly come in, provide some leadership, mentoring, and help propel some of the younger guys in the group forward. The receiver group lacks polish and credibility. A Robinson-type player could help rectify that somewhat.

The same goes for the cornerback position. We are going to need a significant contribution this upcoming season from at least two of Dunbar, Moreau, and Holsley. This group of players lacks experience big time and I'm not quite sure it's the best approach to solely depend on them to to make huge strides, despite the level of confidence the organization might have in them. A steady veteran presence on a shorter term deal to help bridge the gap would be money well spent in my opinion, regardless of whether we target the secondary in the draft or not. Vontae Davis left a Buffalo visit without a contract. He's the type of player with a lot to prove that could potentially fit in well with our group. Not quite sure what he's asking for in terms of a contract, but it's worth considering. Rashaan Melvin from the Colts is younger and promising as well with a lot of upside...I'm guessing he'd command a pretty significant deal.

In a nutshell, WR, CB, and LB (Zach Brown) in free agency and draft the rest of the needs.

Last edited:
You asked, I deliver.

Traded down with Cleveland. Picked up a developmental QB with a name Bruce could remember too. ;)

Round 2 Pick 1 (CLE): DaRon Payne, DT, Alabama (A-)
Round 2 Pick 3 (CLE): Tremaine Edmunds, OLB, Virginia Tech (A-)
Round 2 Pick 12: Will Hernandez, OG, Texas-El Paso (B+)
Round 3 Pick 4 (HOU): Dante Pettis, WR, Washington (A)
Round 4 Pick 3 (HOU): Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon (A)
Round 4 Pick 13: Dalton Schultz, TE, Stanford (A+)
Round 5 Pick 12: M.J. Stewart, CB, North Carolina (A+)
Round 6 Pick 14: Tyrone Crowder, OG, Clemson (A+)
Round 7 Pick 13: David Bright, OT, Stanford (A+)
Round 7 Pick 23: Kurt Benkert, QB, Virginia (A+)

Ok, guess we need to send this info to Redskins Park. Boone, you still have that fake addr...uh, address?

Depending on what happens tomorrow with the potential for a tag being used, we may have a FA update on Wednesday. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

What odds are you guys laying on them tagging Cousins?

I think there's only about a 10% chance of it happening. I just see too many pitfalls and we don't exactly have a stellar track record when it comes to prevailing on controversial moves :)

Ultimately, I don't think it happens. No need to make another mistake.

What odds are you guys laying on them tagging Cousins?

I think there's only about a 10% chance of it happening. I just see too many pitfalls and we don't exactly have a stellar track record when it comes to prevailing on controversial moves :)

10% is exactly what I was thinking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.