• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

We both know Bruce could have said to someone inside the building that 'lets see if it works' and someone ran to Schefter with it. It also could have been just Snydallen leaking to see if there is interested parties... see if maybe his phone rings and the option is out there.
It could also be 100% fabrication from media sources that wouldn't know the truth if it crawled up their ass and opened a lemonade stand.

Again I just think it's a petty and childish exercise. I'm not a FO hater but I'm far from surprised that Allen, whom I believe is orchestrating it, would do something like this.

I haven't heard the team say anything in public about it.

Better to say nothing and be considered a fool than to open your mouth and confirm it.

Well, unless and until someone shows the team did/doing something wrong here, I can't feign disdain.

As far as we know the media could be reading some of these boards to see what ideas they can come up. John Kirk seems pretty spot on he said chances are slim to none basically of a sign and trade

It could also be 100% fabrication from media sources that wouldn't know the truth if it crawled up their ass and opened a lemonade stand.

That is very true, I can tell you other boards (ahem) are blowing up with people debating the likelihood and possibilities surrounding this option... have been since before the report came out.

Another thought on the possibility that if we did transition tag the GLB, he'd hold off signing to making things tougher for us.

Remember that every team in the league wants to get certain positions settled ASAP so they too can plan/compete in the FA market, and, prepare for the draft.
Could be enough for a team to ASK the GLB to go ahead and sign a deal so THEY can move forward.

Who knows?

Isn't speculating grand!

Another thought on the possibility that if we did transition tag the GLB, he'd hold off signing to making things tougher for us.

Remember that every team in the league wants to get certain positions settled ASAP so they too can plan/compete in the FA market, and, prepare for the draft.
Could be enough for a team to ASK the GLB to go ahead and sign a deal so THEY can move forward.

Who knows?

Isn't speculating grand!

The short answer is YES, we can apply the transition tag to him and still hold some cards. There's a few ways it can go down.

3. The BAD way - We apply the transition tag, Kirk decides to hold out. This could go on for a few weeks.. He then decides he's going to play ball and signs the tag. At that point, someone like Cleveland or NYJ with a ton of cap space walk in and offer him a deal that would exceed our salary cap... I've heard multiple stances on this, that we could still absorb it as long as we get back below the cap before the 'cap deadline.' I do wonder if the NFL or the NFLPA would get involved, preventing us from signing a deal that, even temporarily, would allow us to exceed the cap.

yep, this is possibly the worst way it could go...

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone in BGO land.

Today we bring you a free agency look and mock all in one, but it is not from BBQ. In a first, we have a guest who has graciously given some of his time to present us with his free agent targets and a superb mock.

Steve - @SteveDraft_ on twitter, blogs for Breaking Football. You can find BF at @Breaking_FB or breakingfootball.com. Steve provides Redskins mocks and free agency updates for them on a regular basis. His analyses are always thorough and well-reasoned.

I hope you appreciate the time and effort he put into this entry on our behalf. His update and mock is presented here in our format with no editing from me. I know you will like his perspectives on each player. I certainly do.

FYI – we hope to have more guests over the next month or so with their mocks each week. We will have a free agency update tomorrow and another BBQ mock on Friday.

Let's get right to Steve's update and mock.

Free Agency Targets:
Zach Brown ILB: The Redskins defense has lacked speed for years and Brown really brings that to the table. Although an extreme liability in pass coverage, he's an elite blitzer and run defender. It's important we retain the speed and toughness that Brown brings to the table.

Trent Murphy EDGE: Coming off a suspension and knee injury, I expect Murphy to sign a one-year "prove it" deal, in Washington. He's a versatile piece because he's a good run defender and pass rusher. He can also kick inside during sub-packages, allowing an extra edge rusher to get on the field.

Junior Galette EDGE: This is going to be a tough signing because Galette wants a larger role. With Kerrigan, Smith and Murphy all fighting for snaps, it's going to be tough for Manusky and company to guarantee Galette a significant role. However, Galette would be our only speed rusher and they could come up with certain packages to sneak him onto the field. I genuinely believe Galette wants to remain in Washington and we can only hope they work something out.

Ryan Grant WR: Scot McCloughan once referred to Ryan Grant as Ryan Gruden. Coach Gruden really loves Grant as a player and I expect him to be back in 2018. The former Tulane star is a reliable fourth receiver because he can play all three wide receiver positions. At the right price, I actually think Grant is a key piece to this Redskins roster.

Spencer Long LG/OC: Long finished the season on IR, so I have no idea what the market will be like for him. There have been some rumblings that they may kick him to left guard because of the emergence of Chase Roullier. Although his athletic profile is much better suited for the center position, Long is a upgrade from Shaun Lauvao. I think it's important that we keep this core offensive line together and at the right price, I'm all for long returning to Washington.

Bennie Logan 0/1-Tech Bennie Logan signed a one-year, 8 million dollar deal in Kansas City. The Redskins had a ton of interest in Logan last offseason but I don't think they were willing to match that 8 million dollar offer. From everything I can gather, it sounds like Kansas City will move on from their starting nose tackle. Logan had a solid year as a run stuffer, finishing 7th in run stuff %, per Pro Football Focus. At 28 years old, I'm willing to sign Logan to a 3 year deal, worth around 6-8 million dollars, per year. Although he doesn't offer much as a pass rusher, he would give the Redskins defense the run stuffing plug that they've lacked for so long.

Mitch Unrein 5-Tech The 29 year old veteran and former undrafted free agent played 12 games this season before once again falling to the injury bug. He played a key 400 snaps for Vic Fangio, ranking in the top 15 as a run defender, per Pro Football Focus. Unrein is a perfect fit for a team that needs a base 3-4 run defender with someone that can spell him in pass rushing situations [Anthony Lanier].

Nickel-Robey Coleman SCB Robey-Coleman would be an underwhelming signing on paper, thanks to his 5'8" and 165 pound frame. However, he was probably one of the most underpaid players in all of football, in 2017 [$855,000]. I expect the Redskins to look for a veteran nickel cb and the man named Nickel himself would make a really solid option, at a bargain price.

Paul Richardson Z-Receiver Jay Gruden and company really missed the speed of Desean Jackson. I think of Richardson as a poor mans Jackson. In fact, many evaluators compared Richardson to Jackson when he was coming out of Colorado. Like Jackson, Richardson has had an injury riddled career. In 2017, the speedy receiver was finally able to play a full season. Richardson finished 2017 with a 44/703/6 stat line and will be seeking an even bigger role in 2018. The Redskins can make that happen.

2018 Draft:

Round One: Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia:
Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia The run defense was bad, yet again. Re-signing Zach Brown and pairing him with Smith would give this defense the speed they've lacked for so long. Smith would also be a great compliment to Brown because he's excellent in coverage. This would allow Brown to focus more on run defense and blitzing. Many fans will ask, what does this mean for Mason Foster? I believe Foster would benefit from a smaller role, as a blitzer and run-defender.

Round Two: Sony Michel, RB, Georgia:
Want a little bit of power and speed? Michel is definitely your guy. He has the juice to hit a home run, but he also has the frame to carry a large workload. Michel has also shown the ability to be an excellent pass protector. That's something you can't say about a lot of college running backs.

Round Four: Kyzir White, S, WVU:
Kyzir White is the brother of former first round pick, Kevin White [Chicago]. White played in a unique role at WVU as the SPUR defender. He was basically an EDGE safety or hybrid-linebacker. He's an excellent run defender but he also has the athleticism to match up with tight ends and big slot receivers. With Su'a Cravens likely on his way out, White would be an excellent replacement.

Round Five: Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond:
The Richmond Quarterback majored in Leadership. That alone makes him an intriguing quarterback project. Although he doesn't have the biggest arm, Lauletta has some of the best mechanics in the entire class. His mechanics and footwork allow him to be accurate and you can't teach leadership and accuracy - Lauletta is coming into the NFL with both traits.

Round Six: Siran Neal, DB, Jacksonville St:
With two children at the age of 24 years old, Siran Neal isn't your average NFL prospect. Neal is intriguing because he has experience at every defensive back position. He's athletic enough to stick with the shifty receivers in the slot but he can also hang on the outside as a press-man boundary corner. Not to mention, he's an excellent run defender as a Safety.

Round Seven: Bradley Bozeman, IOL, Alabama:
In the seventh round, I'm looking for versatile players that can help fill multiple roles. Bozeman can play all across the interior offensive line and he will serve primarily as a backup center.

Round Seven: Cam Phillips, WR, Virginia Tech:
The local Dematha high school product has been well-coached and it shows up on tape. Although he won't 'wow' you with elite athleticism, he's an excellent route runner with reliable hands. Phillips should be able to contribute on special teams but he also has specific traits that should allow him to learn all three wide receiver positions.

Thanks to Steve for providing a list of free agents that he would target and a great mock. We hope to have another guest mock next week from another expert. BBQ hope you like these perspectives from Redskins draft and free agent gurus.

Hail To The Redskins!

Last edited:
BB, in your opinion Roquan Smith is worth a #13 pick, or would it just be smart to grab him there?

If he falls to 13, the Skins need to run to the podium as quickly as possible. However, other players I feel the same about include Ridley and Nelson.

What an excellent mock and free agency target group provided above by Steve - thanks BB!

That mock fits the needs of this team as we currently stand to a tee. I think we'd all be smiling if that's in fact how our off-season plays out.

I know one game (especially an All-Star game) doesn't make or break a prospect, but Kyle Lauletta would be a great project to take on in the middle rounds at QB. His Senior Bowl was impressive to say the least! Not to mention that his character traits seem to be a perfect match for the type of character that Alex Smith brings to the table. I think this is a duo that could really work well together and would help bridge the gap into the long-term future at QB in Washington.

Roquan and Zach in the middle - love it! Not much else I can say about that.

A RB in Michel who can step in out of college, and handle NFL pass protection duties...we've missed that dearly since Clinton was in our backfield. I would very much welcome this and his ability to be a bit of a workhorse back.

We also can't overlook the dire need to be able to cover opposing teams' Tight Ends. We've been shredded and abused far too often over the years defensively in this regard. With Ertz and Engram within the division, it's not a problem that's figures to go away anytime soon if we don't do something about it either. In that regard, Kyzir White seems like a nice fit.

Let's bring on the new league year!

I started mocking Lauletta in the 5th round a couple of weeks ago and Steve has him in the same slot. It's just a coincidence, but I do believe that is where he will go in the draft. Other mocks I've seen place Lauletta in the 2nd round. That's just too high it seems. If there is a huge run on QBs in this draft, I could see him going in the 4th.

Great news. We have secured a second guest to do a mock for us next week. Don't be surprised if BBQ adds a few of their projected prospects to the lists here.

I started mocking Lauletta in the 5th round a couple of weeks ago ...

(channeling my inner @Fear The Spear)

What - stuff like 'You throw like a girl Lauletta!' and 'Show us that patented limp wristed throwing style!'. That kind of thing?

Yeah, sure. It's not the feedback I'm looking for, it's the emotional reactions I crave. Thank you. Same time tomorrow?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.