• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

Well, with Smith under contract for 5 years and Colt for an additional 2, the Redskins seem to be out of the running for a qb until Round 6 or 7 as a developmental, hold the clipboard guy.......................

We really need an impact inside linebacker. We really need a DE on the other side of Allen to make the DL go. We really need a LG after suffering through Shawn Lauvao for 3-4 years of mediocre play.

We also desperately need receivers that defensive coordinators have respect for.

Our current crop is a collection of uber-athletes like Doctson and slower, smaller possession guys like Crowder.

None of them showed the kind of hands in 2017 that you can count on going forward.

What's the sense in getting your hands on the ball if you don't come down with the reception.

I think we can still draft a QB anywhere from the 3rd on. Maybe the 2nd if we get some additional picks somewhere.

I think we can still draft a QB anywhere from the 3rd on. Maybe the 2nd if we get some additional picks somewhere.

I tend to think this way, also, depending how Smith's contract is structured. If he's due a large roster bonus after 2-3 seasons, the writing is already on the wall.

I tend to think this way, also, depending how Smith's contract is structured. If he's due a large roster bonus after 2-3 seasons, the writing is already on the wall.

Well the 4 years is in addition to 2018, so that's new contract. If year 4 of the new deal is an option year (which it appears to be) then he's still under contract here at minimum for 4 seasons. New money deal is 4 years, AAV $23.5 mil, total guarantee is $71 mil. Looking at it, it would appear that the 1st 3 years of the new deal are $23.5 ea guaranteed, which puts us at $70.5 mil (the guaranteed money) That said, if $25 mil of that is signing bonus, then the cap hit each of those 3 seasons drops down to $16 mil - ish.... or is my math off?

Of course, it could also be that Brother McD is right. That Gruden's offense has guys open on every play. And that Stat Boy wasn't finding them with enough regularity.

FINALLY! Someone who can explain it to me. Ax: I am not a zealot for Cousins. I think he's good, but the value at his salary request... I'm not sold. So ok, let's leave that aspect out of it.

It kind of sounds like you think this trade makes sense. So, please... explain it. How does trading Kendall Fuller and a draft pick for Alex Smith make sense? Given the contract situations of both, given the analysis of Fuller's performance last year, given the team's reaction (http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...washington-redskins-trading-cb-kendall-fuller)... how does any of it make sense?

I read this, and I'm a lifelong fan for the last 40 years (turning 40 this year)... but this may be the decision (after all of the other decisions over the last 20 years or so that left me scratching my head)... this may just be the straw. I'm not going to stop being a fan. My money spent on this team has dwindled over the years, it's close to zero now. It will be zero now. The time spent watching the games has dropped a bit (although last year, I enjoyed the Cousins/Gruden dynamics, I watched a lot more again). I also have young kids which plays a part too. But regardless, that is going to drop too.

I can't understand trading a young guy who I have read so many analysts grade as a top slot corner. If you are trying to build a contender, AND keep value on your balance sheet, this isn't the way to do it.

Unless you can explain otherwise... in terms of VALUE AND TALENT together, this team got WORSE today, and I think it's so painfully obvious we are clearly run by UTTER, COMPLETE MORONS.

So, please explain if you can. I'm eager to understand. The only thing I can think of is petty annoyance at a "Scot" pick being heralded, so that was considered a guy to let go. That's just the only thing I can conceive of right now.

Some team reactions: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...washington-redskins-trading-cb-kendall-fuller
-- seems pretty obvious to me too, DJ

Because there is not a slot corner in the league that is as valuable as a competent player at the most important position in the game.

The value on the ledger side is getting basically the same player at that most important position (albeit older) at a much lower cost.

One way of looking at it.
We just took a position of strength (CB), and used it to take another position of weakness (QB, the most important position)...and at the end of the day, both positions are now positions of strength.

And...we have a lot of cap room to spend on nother things like ZB.
And a lot of draft picks to spend on more positions now.

So I'd say we made out pretty well.

FINALLY! Someone who can explain it to me. Ax: I am not a zealot for Cousins. I think he's good, but the value at his salary request... I'm not sold. So ok, let's leave that aspect out of it.

It kind of sounds like you think this trade makes sense. So, please... explain it. How does trading Kendall Fuller and a draft pick for Alex Smith make sense? Given the contract situations of both, given the analysis of Fuller's performance last year, given the team's reaction (http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...washington-redskins-trading-cb-kendall-fuller)... how does any of it make sense?

I read this, and I'm a lifelong fan for the last 40 years (turning 40 this year)... but this may be the decision (after all of the other decisions over the last 20 years or so that left me scratching my head)... this may just be the straw. I'm not going to stop being a fan. My money spent on this team has dwindled over the years, it's close to zero now. It will be zero now. The time spent watching the games has dropped a bit (although last year, I enjoyed the Cousins/Gruden dynamics, I watched a lot more again). I also have young kids which plays a part too. But regardless, that is going to drop too.

I can't understand trading a young guy who I have read so many analysts grade as a top slot corner. If you are trying to build a contender, AND keep value on your balance sheet, this isn't the way to do it.

Unless you can explain otherwise... in terms of VALUE AND TALENT together, this team got WORSE today, and I think it's so painfully obvious we are clearly run by UTTER, COMPLETE MORONS.

So, please explain if you can. I'm eager to understand. The only thing I can think of is petty annoyance at a "Scot" pick being heralded, so that was considered a guy to let go. That's just the only thing I can conceive of right now.

Some team reactions: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...washington-redskins-trading-cb-kendall-fuller

Let me preface this by stating, like I did above, that I'm a huge Kendall Fuller guy and seeing him leave hurts. I didn't want to see him go..

That said, I dig a little deeper into this and I'm not sold that we're worse off today then we were yesterday.

1. Kirk was not under contract, as of yesterday he was a free agent. That means Colt was slated as a starter week 1. Alex Smith > Colt McCoy

2. Kirk 'could' be tagged in a situation where we could go $34.5 mil for exclusive franchise tag, or $28 mil for transition. These things are all beaten to death so I'll avoid the details. Smith is costing us $17mil in 2018. That allows us to have AT MINIMUM $9 million available to sign people like Breeland (maybe more necessary now) and Brown.

3. Like a post earlier, I don't think the impact on free agency that this move has can be understated. We're in the market for some important pieces of the puzzle, pieces that very well may not be comfortable coming here with the idea that Colt McCoy is the QB for the short term with no real long term plan in place... just the hopes we can get someone decent in the draft to develop. Think about it like this. Pick your WR... If you got offered a deal from the Redskins and a deal from the Jets, similar in value. First question you ask yourself, who is throwing me the ball? Colt McCoy, fill in the blank rookie if he falls to 13, or Alex Smith for the next 4 years? I'd bet that this QB with this system for multiple years, will have effect on WRs and their choice of sign.

4. We now know our cap hit @ QB for the next couple seasons. We no longer have this ? about what money is going to be occupied at that position. This opens up contract negotiations for other players to either sign as FA or as an extension. There is a budget in place now, instead of wondering if it'll get done.

5. Don't discount the notion that we may be in preliminary talks with Denver about a tag and trade scenario. I don't know the gray area here that allows things like yesterdays trade to take place, but I have to imagine we could be talking to Denver as we speak about tagging Cousins, and sending him over in order for Denver to make sure they get their guy. My tin foil hat radar is beeping non stop with the idea that Talib wants out, and we could use him... it's a deep thought, but it would make sense.

I hate seeing Fuller go, but just having stability at the QB position has a ripple effect on the entire franchise.

Here's something else.
Which division rival of KC is super desperate for a QB, and is even now MORE desperate because their QB would now have to go against this future HOFer "No. 1 slot corner in the league" twice a year now ?

Denver.

So maybe now they'll be more desperate to sweeten OUR deal and compensation.

Here's something else.
Which division rival of KC is super desperate for a QB, and is even now MORE desperate because their QB would now have to go against this future HOFer "No. 1 slot corner in the league" twice a year now ?

Denver.

So maybe now they'll be more desperate to sweeten OUR deal and compensation.

doing more digging I dont think a tag and trade is possible... once we tag Cousins and he signs it (which he would need to do in order for us to trade him) that means the amount due hits our cap number... while it would seemingly only be temporary, we still need to have the room for it, and it would be close.

Well, with you having a predetermined opinion of it all, I doubt seriously if anyone will be able to tell you what you want to hear.

I can give you some of my thoughts. Which, like everybody else's, will get you a cup of coffee at 7-11. Provided you have a couple dollars to kick in for good measure.

It's painfully obvious that Cousins doesn't want to be here. He's lied and played the "Woe is me" BS card for 2 seasons now. A decision had to be made. He and his agent don't even want to talk until FA begins. The team can't wait that long. I also suspect that the team decided during the season that he was never going to listen to them, in regards to letting the ball go, and allow the receivers to make a play. He put his own stats above winning in order to preserve a fat FA contract. Not the kind of guy anyone should want. IMHO.

So then, the team decided it wanted Alex Smith over any other possibly available FA. Gruden must feel like he's the best fit for his offense. As much as I feel Gruden is an average head coach, at best, you have to give him what he wants to succeed. Then if he fails, he has no one to blame. Make no mistake, Gruden is completely on board with this move. He could well be the catalyst for pursuing Smith. If that's who he wants, then it's up to the front office to make it happen.

Now, reports have it that 6 other teams were in pursuit of Smith. This automatically ups the price to get him. Nobody is happy about losing Fuller. But if that was the price, then that was the price. The 3rd rounder is a wash. Franchise QB's, even older ones, are more valuable to a team than slot corners. That's just the way it is. Yeah, in a perfect world you don't like to trade young talented players for older talented players. However, franchise QB's can impact a team much, much more than a slot corner, or even a #1 corner, can. And, apparently the coaching staff believes they can survive the loss of Fuller. But not another year of Cousins and his BrightLightitus.

So, IMHO, we just got better at QB. Smith is more dangerous with his legs, pocket awareness, and off schedule plays. I think he'll see the field better. Once he learns the offense. On defense, we lose a young up an comer. No doubt. But he's not leading KC to a Super bowl either.

At the end of the day, the sky is not falling.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings from BBQ. The Redskins made a major move last night as they struck a deal for a new quarterback. Free agency, the draft, and training camp will be here before you know it. This is a bonus free agency update for the 2018 offseason. We will return to the free agency updates again when Tuesday rolls around.

Who will we target in free agency? Who will we re-sign? Who will we not re-sign? Who will get released? Feel free to offer your opinions and predictions.

We take the latest chatter from Redskins Park and media pundits as BBQ tries to formulate what could happen in the coming days, weeks and months.

Free Agents Obtained:

Free Agents Re-signed:
Quinton Dunbar, CB/ST – (Signed Three Year Deal, 1/1/18)
Mason Foster, ILB – (Signed Two Year Deal, 1/25/18)

Trade:
Alex Smith, QB

Restricted Free Agents:
Ty Nsehke, OT – (Very Likely Tendered)
Deshazor Everett, SS/ST – (Very Likely Tendered)

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:
Dare Ogunbowale, RB – (Unknown)
Tyler Catalina, OG – (Very Likely Tendered)

Contract Extension:

Pending Free Agents:
Kirk Cousins, QB – (Redskins Career Is Over)
Terrelle Pryor, WR – (Unknown)
Shawn Lauvao, OG – (Very Likely Walks)
Niles Paul, TE/ST – (Unknown)
Spencer Long, OG/C – (Unknown)
Ryan Grant, WR – (Probably Re-signs)
DeAngelo Hall, FS – (Very Likely Retires)
Arthur Jones, DT – (Probably Walks)
Zach Brown, ILB – (Unknown)
Bashaud Breeland, CB – (Unknown)
Will Compton, ILB – (Unknown)
Trent Murphy, OLB – (Unknown)
Junior Galette, OLB – (Unknown)
Chris Carter, LB/ST – (Unknown)
Tony Bergstrom, C – (Very Likely Walks)
Brian Quick, WR – (Likely Walks)
Zach Vigil, ILB – (Possibly Re-signs)
Phil Taylor, DT – (Unknown)
Dustin Hopkins, K – (Very Likely Re-signs)

Possible Release Candidates:
Keith Marshall, RB – (Cap Savings, $33K – Dead Cap, $538.6K)
Byron Marshall, RB – (Cap Savings, $630K – Dead Cap, $0)
Jordan Reed, TE – (Cap Savings, $5.2M – Dead Cap, $5.4M)
T.J. Clemmings, OT – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
Arie Kouandjio, OG – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
Demetrius Rhaney, C – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
A.J. Francis, DE – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
Su'a Cravens, SS – (Cap Savings, $1.36M – Dead Cap, $1.7M)

Offseason Updates:
As you know we ended the process of listing free agents from other teams, but this offseason is full of unpredictability. We will list some players of interest this year, but it won't be a comprehensive list and there is no way we can sign all of them.

Carlos Hyde, RB
Isaiah Crowell, RB
Jordan Matthews, WR
Paul Richardson, WR
Donte Moncrief, WR
Brice Butler, WR
Trey Burton, TE
Justin Pugh, OT/OG
Greg Robinson, OT/OG
Jonathan Cooper, OG
Zach Fulton, OG
Luke Joeckel, OG
Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB
Barkevious Mingo, OLB
Dee Ford, OLB
Demario Davis, ILB
Jon Bostic, ILB
Sheldon Richardson, DE
Brent Urban, DE
DaQuan Jones, DT
Daniel McCullers, DT
Bennie Logan, DE/DT
Beau Allen, DT
Star Lotulelei, DT
Kyle Fuller, CB

This list will grow, shrink, and change quite a bit. Feel free to produce a list of your own – we look forward to it.

Kapri Bibbs signed a two year contract late in the 2017 season. He will be an UFA in 2019. BBQ had inaccurate information in recent free agency updates and regrets the error.

The new contract for Mason Foster is for two years and $7 million.

With the new extension for Alex Smith as he joins the Redskins, we have learned that the total deal is for five years.

Personal Thoughts:
While it is tough to lose Kendall Fuller, the quarterback position is now settled for the next few years. Kirk Cousins never had any intention of signing a long term deal here. It is time to move forward.

BBQ believes that a quarterback will be selected by the Redskins in the middle rounds of the upcoming draft.

See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

Should be interesting to see how much of that Smith actually plays out.
And if we at least make a late-round reach of an attempt this year, to see if we can find a project to eventually replace him...or if we wait.
I imagine we draft a late-round QB, to either eventually replace our current 2nd stringer, or to add a 3rd stringer.

So there you have it, from FTS HQ - three separate and very good reasons to draft a QB in the mid to late rounds.

I just heard that Bruce is about to make a press release. Maybe just a rumour. Or maybe I misunderstood.
Anyone know what that's about ? Transition Tag ?

So what was the presser about?

I heard nothing about a pending press release.

I imagine it's coming very soon.
Hopefully a message that will calm the fans and players, to assure them that, first of all, the sun will indeed rise again tomorrow.
And that the Redskins probably did not enjoy unloading Fuller, but it was necessary and the overall move was in the best interests of the team's success.
We really need a SOTU from the POTWR.
And by POTWR, no I'm not talking about Josh Gordon.

Last edited:
While it sounds like this is official technically it's not it will be. But like a poster above said I think the redskins are in a sign and trade talk with other teams or Kirk is with them.
The chiefs have traditionally not been big spenders day 1 so I would imagine that this trade won't go into affect immediately if there is talks of a sign and trade.

And I would venture to say that we go defense with our first pick or if the guy we want isn't there we could trade down and net an extra pick or 2

So, there's no potential league violation, or any kind of technicality, that could prevent this from going through ?

Well it could be determined “in the spirit of free agency” by this shit stain.
827C2FFA-94E5-4604-A38D-C156FB721182.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.