• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WP RI - Safeties Coach Jackson Retained

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Safeties Coach Jackson Retained

Longtime safeties coach Steve Jackson has been retained on new Coach Mike Shanahan's first staff.

"Yes, I'm back," Jackson said in a phone interview. "He [Shanahan] told me this morning, just about an hour ago. He really didn't go into too much detail about" Jackson's role on the reconfigured staff.

"There were other people that he had to speak with and give some information to. We just talked briefly and he said, 'Welcome aboard.' I told him whatever he needed me to do, in whatever capacity, I'm here and ready."

Offensive assistant Chris Meidt, the Redskins' de facto quarterbacks coach the last two seasons, and Scott Wachenheim, who just completed his first season as tight ends coach, were not retained, two people with knowledge of the makeup of Shanahan's completed staff said.

Of former coach Jim Zorn's assistant coaches, only Jackson, special teams coordinator Danny Smith and linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti were retained. Shanahan still plans to announce the hiring of other coaches

Not sure how I feel about this. Landry was horrible so much of the time that keeping Jackson feels off. Unless he was playing Landry out of position because of orders, I have to wonder how sharp he is. Of course, as bad as Landry was, Doughty and Horton both played above their draft position under him so maybe it's a good move.

I am disappointed that Meidt got let go though. He and Olivadotti were the guys I wanted to see kept by Shanahan. I got one of two but still...

A little off topic but interesting and coach related: I read on PFT the other day that Jerry Gray was offered a job with the Seahawks as secondary coach but had not accepted the position yet. Not sure how to read this either.

JLC is reporting that Gray has accepted Seattle's offer. He is also has some thoughts on who Shanahan is looking at to fill other open positions in Washington.

from the JLC piece - "Should Tom Cable be fired as the Raiders’ head coach, some league sources believe he could be a candidate for the Redskins’ offensive line position."

Hmmmm........

So we're keeping the guy who helped Landry have such a stellar year? Wasn't he part of the communication problem in 2006, that being that the CBs and Safeties had separate meetings? Speaking of 2006, he did such a wonderful job with Archuleta as well.

from the JLC piece - "Should Tom Cable be fired as the Raiders’ head coach, some league sources believe he could be a candidate for the Redskins’ offensive line position."

Hmmmm........
UGH! I don't want that nut case anywhere near our beloved Skins! No way, no how!

Yeah, I'm a little confused as to why Jackson gets to keep his job when Landry had a particularly awful year under him.

The only thing I can guess (and hope) is that Jackson wasn't the reason that Landry had a bad year. That Jackson was just following someone else's orders.

Yeah, I'm a little confused as to why Jackson gets to keep his job when Landry had a particularly awful year under him.

The only thing I can guess (and hope) is that Jackson wasn't the reason that Landry had a bad year. That Jackson was just following someone else's orders.

Is there some connection between Jackson and Shanahan or Haslett?

That's my thinking-and hope-as well. Perhaps Haslett will dictate a somewhat different approach as in "THIS is the 'new' defensive philosophy and your job Mr. Jackson is to coach the safeties to do things differently than before."

I am confused as to who made the decision to switch Landry after Taylor's death. Was it Jackson or Blache. After watching struggles, there was no attempt to maybe move him back?

Well, for what its worth, in Gray's exit interview, he mentioned the entire secondary EXCEPT for LaRon. This implies (at least to me) the rift was there, and not with Jackson.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.