• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes Post-Game vs. Denver 2017: Redskins Players

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
REDSKINS QB KIRK COUSINS

On the offense's adjustment from the first two drives to the rest of the game:
“Among many things, we felt like they stayed in their base defense to some of our different personnel groupings and it gave us some options with some run-pass plays to where we could get to the second play and we got some advantageous looks. But, it just came down to making the throws, making the catches and converting. You know, it was an imperfect game but when you have a defense playing at such a high level – it kept us in the game and kept giving us a chance. Then, we finally got rolling and made enough plays to pull away.”

On his improvement outside the pocket and the touchdown to TE Vernon Davis:
“Yeah, so that's just our keeper series which we've run here with me for many years. I mean, my rookie year when I had my first start against Cleveland, we ran that type of play 11 times. I mean, that's always been a play I've done well. That's different than just dropping back and scrambling. You know, I think that the keeper series where I bootleg out, has always been something we've done well, I've done well, that I really like and always ask for. It's the drop-back game like the third down – where you run for a first down – that I didn't do as much in the past. That's the scramble where were able to move up in the pocket and hit Ryan Grant on a choice route for a big gain on a second or third down. Those are the plays that I think I'm getting better at making – versus man coverage trying to find ways to move in the pocket, avoid a sack, and still keep the play alive.”

On his improvement at manipulating the defense with his eyes and body:
“Yeah, I don't know, I think each play is its own entity. But, there's certainly times where you're trying to get a corner or safety to get flat footed so you can throw a post over his head. If you get into a lurk coverage, you try to hold the lurker so you can work the choice route on the in-break. There's different things you try to do with your eyes to hold players, but sometimes you just use the rules of the coverage. You say, ‘OK, if it's shade coverage, I know where everybody's going to be and I'm just going to work off where I know they have to get to.'”

On the touchdown to WR Josh Doctson:
“You know, we had the motion and we put Vernon [Davis] out wide to the left and got a clear man coverage tell. So, we brought Ryan Grant over to run his choice route. I really wanted to work Vernon on a safety but the deep middle safety, No. 26, really cheated to Vernon's side for whatever reason. So, initially I didn't like that look. I went over to the choice side to our bunch look and my read is to alert Josh [Doctson]. If he gets open, give him the ball, but if he's not wide open you progress and move on down the read. Obviously, they turned him loose. There was a little confusion with their communication with the motion as to who was covering who in man coverage and how they want to do it. You know, we were able to take advantage, we were fortunate there to get that kind of look.”

On improving his ability to read coverage since 2015 season:
“I was asking that of myself in the beginning of 2015 and it wasn't clicking yet and I kept waiting – when was it going to click, when was it going to come together. I remember when we played New England and I shook Tom Brady's hand after the game and I said, ‘You know, Tom, when did it start clicking for you?' Because I know if you go back and look at his early year stats, he wasn't lighting it up. So I asked, ‘When did start to click for you?' And he said, ‘It's still clicking.' And his point was that there was never one moment where suddenly it just turned the page and he had it all figured out. You know, the accumulation of knowledge is a powerful thing as Bill Walsh said, and I think over three years my knowledge has just accumulated because I've been able to be out there and gain experience and play, and now I have a lot of games in my bank account if you will that I can lean on and go to and use those experiences to help me play better as I go forward.”

On his Christmas-themed suit:
“If we win on Christmas Eve, it certainly will be a tradition. There aren't many occasions you can wear this for, after a win in a press conference this is about the only place this will work. I really like it. They wanted me to show it off. My wife packed it, there was no way I was wearing this if we lost, but we got a win just like last year so I love to wear it and it will go in the closet for 364 days. My wife found it, I'm not really sure, I think the brand is Shinesty. They make some goofy-looking suits. There's one that's Redskins as well, just everywhere on it and we have that one in the closet, but I haven't found the right setting to pull that one out yet. I had a red sweater that would've fit perfectly with this, but it would've been a little too plain so I thought I would let the tie show.”

On Doctson's targets:
“It was where the coverage was taking me because you look at, like, the bench route early in the game, we're backed up, really Niles [Paul] is the No. 1 there. I didn't like throwing him off that play-action backed up. I went back to my bench route to Josh [Docston], and I felt like he was being held, we didn't get the call, but it was incomplete. We tried to hit him on a post route, which again we only alert that post route for quarters coverage, they play quarters coverage and it was there. Trying to go over the top and it was incomplete so you really just go where your reads take you. We missed a touchdown opportunity where he went over the top – on I believe it was [Bradley] Roby – down in the end zone. I felt like his arm got held and we had a chance there to may get a pass interference, a first and goal. I really don't understand why it wasn't called but I just go where my reads take me. The coverage is there, we're playing, and it gave me chances to give him a look and would've loved to have him come away with two or three touchdowns with some of the opportunities we left out there.”

On what he is working toward in the future:
“So we had a losing season in 2014 and in '15 and '16, we didn't. We had a chance after leaving L.A. against the Chargers to win these last three games and get to 8-8 and really put an end to three straight years of losing seasons around here. That means a great deal to me and we're going to be talking about that all week and that's really where our focus is, to get to 8-8. It's not 13-3, but it's not a losing season. I want this brand, this organization to be associated with winning and when people around the league and our fans that support this league think about this organization, I want them to think of winners. I know 8-8 isn't 13-3, but it also isn't 7-9 and I think that's where our focus is right now to get to another non-losing season and say now we've strung three together in a row and we can build on that with some of the talent we have that's been on IR and coming back, so that's really where our focus is.”

On his frustration after the late snap play:
“The emotion was frustration. I just felt that the ball was a little low and I couldn't get to it in time. It was second down and I thought that we had a chance to stay on the field and get some points or at least keep the ball out of the possession of the Broncos. It's an accumulation of missed opportunities throughout the first half that were unacceptable to me and frustrating and I'll be the first one to say that I was a big part of it. This game will really test you and frustrate you and sometimes it's a good thing to show some emotion. People act like they were surprised to see me do that but that's really who I am. Getting frustrated is sometimes who I am and sometimes I don't show it much. I was frustrated but we found a way in the second half to have a much better half.”

On the possibility of this being his last home game with the Redskins:
“I mean, it crosses your mind. Like I've said all along, you have to focus on the present and certainly your mind does like to wonder but I think as a professional athlete, you have to take pride in being mentally tough and focus on the present to give you your best chance at success. There will be plenty of time to discern all of those questions come the offseason but right now I have to focus on winning football games. Fortunately, the last two weeks we got it done at home and we have a lot to play for against the Giants to avoid a losing season and then we can go from there.”

On his performance despite the slow start:
“After the first couple of possessions, I didn't even know if we were going to get 100 yards on them. That just goes to show you that you have to just keep playing. When defense keeps giving the ball back and creating turnovers, it certainly helps your offensive stats too. I don't believe there were any sacks today. You could call the missed snap a sack but it wasn't really a drop-back sack. You have to get rid of the ball quickly to do that but the offensive line has to protect. The play calling was really good all day long. [Head Coach] Jay [Gruden] did a good job looking at their substitutions and how to attack that, which gave me multiple play calls in the huddle where I could get to some better options based on their defensive alignment and we got into some optimum plays as a result. It was all around a great effort but I certainly enjoyed the game plan adjustments by Coach Gruden and the staff as we went through the game. It made a big difference.”

On his future with the Redskins:
“Who knows. We're going to see how this whole thing goes. My job was to play 16 football games this season and I still have another game to play. That's where my focus is and when the season is over, we'll go from there. Right now, I have to play football well and do the best I can.”

REDSKINS LB RYAN KERRIGAN

On what has gone well for the defense the past two weeks:
“Yeah, it was kind of frustrating too because it's like we really were kicking their butt the whole game and then they got that touchdown. But we played really well. I think we got after the passer really well again today like we did last week. We did struggle in the run game early in the game, but we were able to stop it enough to where we could have a big impact in the pass game.”

On being able to force turnovers:
“It's huge. It puts their defense back on the field and kind of wears them down. I thought our offense did a good job of capitalizing on some of the field position we gave them and when you do that, it's a recipe for success.”

On being able to record back-to-back wins:
“I think it is big. I mean, we've had some struggles obviously when you look at the Dallas game and the Chargers game. For us to come back from those tough outings and to put together back-to-back good ones like this - it means a lot.”

REDSKINS LB PRESTON SMITH

On the defense having back-to-back strong performances:
“Yeah, guys are out there flying around. Guys are playing physical and guys are executing assignments to the best of their ability. It showed on the scoreboard. We didn't have a lot of mistakes on defense; I didn't feel [like we did]. Guys were making sure they weren't giving up any big plays.”

On being able to get after the quarterback along with LB Ryan Kerrigan:
“Yeah, I saw Ryan had two at the half. After my first one I was like, ‘Man, I've got to get two. I at least have to get two or three.' But yeah, we always go out there and compete. We always try and see who gets to the quarterback the most and who can get as many sacks as they can. Ryan is leading the pack obviously. Guys are just competing. Guys are working hard and trying to go out there and try to put the best tape on film and give what they got for the team.”

On his thoughts finishing the year competitively despite playoff circumstances:
“We have a lot of competitors on this team, a lot of tough competitors on this team. Guys don't give up regardless of our record or regardless of the circumstance knowing we aren't going to the playoffs. Guys are still out there competing and putting their best foot forward still showing that we are not giving up no matter what. There are a lot of things that happened in this stretch in the season. A lot of injuries, a lot of mishaps and guys still didn't give up. Guys kept fighting and guys are still fighting and we are going to fight to the end.”

REDSKINS WR JAMISON CROWDER

On the two-game winning streak:
“I think that everybody has a mindset to just finish out the season strong. Down the stretch, we didn't really play as well as we wanted to in other ball games, and obviously knocked us out of playoff contention. We still want to finish up strong. We just have to go out there and play. Even though people might say you're not playing for anything, it's a lot to play for. Guys are playing for their families, playing for themselves, they just continue to get better.”

On the route on his touchdown reception:
“It's something that I've had success with since I've been here. And it's one of the routes that me and Kirk [Cousins] have that connection on, so it worked out today and I was able to get in the end zone.”

On what it would mean to have QB Kirk Cousins back next season:
“I think it would be great to get him back. I feel like he has a great connection with all the receivers in the room as well as a lot of guys on the team. I feel like it would definitely be great to get him back. I've never been in a situation where a new quarterback has come in, so I think that would definitely cause… it would kind of be like starting over. So if he could come back, that would be awesome.”

REDSKINS TE VERNON DAVIS

On the win:
“It feels good. It feels good to be able to walk away from this and know that we're victorious. We're victorious, we were able to accomplish everything we wanted to accomplish today, despite some of the mistakes we made out there, we were still able to pull it off. So I'm just elated to be a part of this team and know that I have some tremendous teammates that are willing to go out there and put it all on the line.”

On the possibility of QB Kirk Cousins returning next season:
“Well, it's not my realm to get involved with that. We all want Kirk Cousins around here. We love him, we think he's one of the… he's the best when it comes to leadership and just being a benevolent person. He's awesome. He's been incredible. So, as far as him staying here, I'm not sure. I'm not sure what he'll do, I don't know what moves the upper management is trying to make at the moment to keep him here. Like I said, I know the organization loves him. I'm going to leave it in their hands to make the best decision.”

On the challenges facing the top-ranked Denver defense:
“Today – it was extremely tough in the beginning to get things going in the passing game. And a lot of that has to do with the outstanding defense that Denver has. They're awesome. They're No. 1 in the league, right? Yeah, they're incredible. Anytime you face a defense like that, you know that you're going to… you have your hands full. So we struggled in our effort. But, we were able to keep our heads held high and make plays.”

REDSKINS LB ZACH VIGIL

On the defense having back-to-back strong performances:
“It's awesome to get a win like that. The defense stepped up and played pretty good today. It sucks they scored there at the end [laughter]. But I'm happy with how we communicated for the most part. There are some things that we need to clean up in the run game, but for the most it was pretty good.”

On having a big hit on one of the screen plays:
“Yeah, those screens man, they're hard. I missed one earlier, but screens you have to take a shot and try to make it. I missed one and I made one so it worked out.”

On what has been the key to him the past two games:
“Communication, man. Our communication has been really good. Our coaches have made our game plan simple enough for us to communicate it efficiently and we have been able to play good. That's the basis of it.”

REDSKINS T MORGAN MOSES

On holding the Broncos to zero sacks:
“We just stayed to the plan. We've got a great quarterback behind us that gets the ball off fast and we've got a great offensive line coach. So anytime we dial in like that and go against a No. 1 defense, it takes all 11 on the field. Anytime we're clicking like that, it makes it a lot easier.”

On what it means to get two consecutive wins and have a chance to go 8-8:
“It would be great for us to finish off .500, especially with all the things we've been through this season – the injuries and things like that. That shows that if we can pull off these last three wins, how hard we fought. We didn't give up. We didn't throw in the towel. It's really big for us.”

On takeaways from the win:
“Obviously this was a big win so everybody can go home and cherish this moment with their family. And it makes some things a lot easier.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple of Kirk's answers jumped out at me that would hint he's returning
“...I was wearing this if we lost, but we got a win just like last year so I love to wear it and it will go in the closet for 364 days....”

“...I want this brand, this organization to be associated with winning and when people around the league and our fans that support this league think about this organization, I want them to think of winners....”

But this one says to me it's over

“...My job was to play 16 football games this season and I still have another game to play....”

IDK now, at the beginning of the season I was damn sure he's a goner but now meh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.