• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes Post-Game vs. Denver 2017: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
REDSKINS HEAD COACH JAY GRUDEN

On injuries:
“Ziggy Hood has an elbow dislocation; he'll get an MRI tomorrow. Robert Davis had to go in concussion protocol.”

On the defensive performance today:
“We played very well in all phases – playing the run, getting after the quarterback and playing great pass defense. [I'm] very excited to see it. Last week, we didn't give up a touchdown and they played great red zone defense. This week, they carried it over and played great total team defense all the way across the board. Coach [Greg] Manusky called a great game and the defense followed up and made some big time plays … four sacks and we forced two or three turnovers. Great to see.”

On the importance of finishing the season 8-8:
“It's important for a lot of reasons. For one, everybody wrote us off and questioned the character and quitting and I knew it wouldn't happen. The guys stepped up and played their tails off and there's still a lot to play for. We're playing a division rival on the road at the Giants' stadium. I think these guys will be fired up, ready to play and try to get back to 8-8 and finish with three games in a row, three-game win streak at the end of the year, which is important.”

On RB Samaje Perine's performance the past two games:
“Samaje ran the ball hard today. Not a lot of holes there today. Every yard we gained was very tough – very difficult. They have a very good defense over there in Denver and he ran hard. The four-minute drill fumble… that hurts. That can't happen and I think he knows that, but it was a good hit. I like the way Samaje's running the ball and hitting the holes and trying to get the tough yards. Today was tough, though.”

On QB Kirk Cousins' performance and maturity as a quarterback:
“I think the more experience you get, the more comfortable you get and the more you understand adversity is going to take place in the course of the ballgame and in the course of the season for that matter, and he's handled it extremely well. I think first six plays we might've had a half a yard or minus-five yards or whatever it was and he just stuck with his progressions in spite of getting a little bit of pressure. But I was very impressed with our offensive line and the way they protected against a great pass rushing front and Kirk did a great job getting the ball out of his hands into the open guys, and then on the flipside, the receivers and tight ends and backs did a great job of making plays for him, but Kirk did a great job of overcoming the slow start.”

On challenging the fumble facing a fourth down:
“You want me to let them punt it or go for it? That's a silly question isn't it? Of course I have to challenge that. It was a fumble, and I actually won, by golly. Are you really questioning my decision to challenge that? I thought it was a fumble so, of course, I want the ball for sure. Those guys want the fumble recovery and gave us great field position so... so be it.”

On the offensive game plan to find yardage against the Broncos' defense:
“I think we tried to spread them out in different formations and get our tight ends matched up and at the end of the day, you know, I can sit here and say it's great play calling but it's about the players and the players stepped up and made some plays. We had to block Von Miller, they've got to get open against Aqib Talib and [Chris] Harris [Jr.] and all these great players they have, and they did that. Kirk made some great throws, blew a coverage where Josh [Doctson] had a big-time touchdown and Kirk found him so it's a combination of a lot of things but I just think execution is the bottom line on getting yards against a great defense like that.”

On what younger players can do in these last games to establish themselves:
“Everything. Any time you step out and play a team like the Giants, all of the experience you get, we keep it on film. We study it, we critique it and watch it and, shoot, it's invaluable experience for these guys. Not to mention it's a blessing to be playing in the National Football League so these guys are fired up. They're playing and taking advantage of their opportunities and it's fun watching these guys play.”

On getting targets for WR Josh Doctson:
“We always try to get Josh targets. He's a great player and I think he's growing and he's going to get better and better. The dropped touchdown, I've got to see it. I don't know if anyone got their hands on it but he's got to make that catch and the other one he got his hand on it and I thought it was defensive holding but they didn't call it. And then he got free on the long one. So Josh is going to get targets. He's one of our main guys out there. Ryan Grant had some big-time plays, [Jamison] Crowder had some big-time plays, obviously Vernon [Davis] had the last one, so it's a good group of guys that are undervalued by a lot of people, but not by us.”

On the difference in the defense during the last two games:
“Their communication, number one, has been outstanding. Very little coverage breakdowns, or breakdowns whatsoever. Every once in a while you'll see someone get open in the flats, someone might not have gotten out there. But for the most part we've eliminated the big plays and we're sound in what we do, and every yard the team has to get, they have to earn it. They're going to make their yards, but at the end of the day we force them to have 10, 12, 14-play drives. Our guys are doing a good job of staying poised and getting off the field when it comes crunch time.”

On LB Ryan Kerrigan's performance:
“He was great. So happy that he made the Pro Bowl, deservedly so. Usually for some reason he gets overlooked, for whatever reason, but he has been a phenomenal player for this organization for a long time and he showed again why he's such a valuable guy to this team.”

On the team's performance translating to next year with uncertainty at quarterback:
“I think we're accomplishing the standard we set here, that's the No. 1 thing. Every week you come and prepare and you play your tails off, and that's what the guys are doing. We set a standard here with the veteran guys we're going to have next year, and that's how it's going to be, week in and week out, no matter what the circumstances are. Happy these guys have followed through with us so far, we still have one more game to go, but as for Kirk, we'll worry about that when the season is over and we're going to coach him one more game here, and when the season is over we'll deal with all that stuff when the time is right.”

On who the offensive and defensive leaders were and how they motivated the team:
“Kirk [Cousins], obviously the quarterback, Trent Williams despite being hurt, he's been at every meeting, he's still leading the group, and he's one of our captains. Niles Paul, Vernon Davis, Brandon Scherff, Morgan Moses. I've got a lot of them. They're just great guys to be around. Defensively, Swag [D.J. Swearinger] has been a captain and he maintains great energy at practice every week, even though he sometime says we don't prepare good enough, he does a good job. Obviously Josh Norman comes to work, [Ryan] Kerrigan. I mean, I've got a great group of guys here, people don't understand, and I'm happy for all of them, but their character has been on display these last couple weeks and will be again next week.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.