• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes Post-Game vs. Cardinals 2017: Skins Players

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
REDSKINS QB KIRK COUSINS

On taking a hit in the fourth quarter:
“Fortunately, I'm feeling just fine. There was a flash of pain there, but by the time I got to the sideline and settled down, the pain subsided and I was feeling fine so I feel like I dodged a bullet there and was pretty fortunate.”

On getting a win after two losses:
“Winning in this league is the greatest of feelings and we work so hard all week, all year, and it's great to get a win in front of our home crowd and they cheer us on to victory. There are so many reasons we were able to come out with a victory today and we appreciate the way the defense stood up time and again to give us a chance.”

On the defense holding the Cardinals' offense to field goals:
“We've said it in previous weeks and going back to last season when we've had our red-zone struggles, it's hard to win in this league if you're just settling for field goals so I was really pleased with the way our defense kept standing up in the red zone and forcing them to come away with three instead of seven. It really was a big difference in the final outcome. We just didn't get enough opportunities – 15 plays in the first half, for a variety of reasons: turnovers, miscues, long drives by the Cardinals. When you only run 15 plays in the first half, you're not going to get much of anything and we're fortunate to have 14 points in part because, again, of the way our defense played by creating that turnover that and giving us a short field, inside the 10-yard line to try and score.”

On how he played:
“I think I played well. I've been frustrated with third downs this year. We were a top-five team in the NFL the last two years on third downs, so that hasn't really been a major struggle for us and yet today one-for-nine. We just haven't been good enough all year to sustain drives, and didn't have a lot of explosive plays today for whatever reason so there's plenty of things you go back and say we could've, should've done more. But it was that kind of a game too where you had to play conservative at times, protect the football when your defense is playing well, when you have the lead and also the clock is running out. It's not the time to be aggressive and start throwing the ball into coverage, that's the time to start running the clock, be a little more conservative and play for the win and our defense proved us right in that case.”

On what they need to execute on third downs:
“Anything and everything. I mean, when you shuffle 26 different offensive linemen combinations, that's going to make it hard. When you have injuries, there have been all kinds of things. It's going to be hard to convert like third-and-23. If you guys have a play for third-and-23, I'd love for you to draw it up and mail it to Redskins Park because we don't have many. We've got to stay in third-and-three, third-and-four. That's another stat you don't see that can be hidden is how many third downs are actually makeable and how many were unrealistic. A combination of things, but when you're better on third down, I think the final result of a lot of our games this year would've been better.”

On how it feels to win:
“There's no doubt that winning makes you feel like you're on top of the world and losing is the other extreme. There's no in-between in this league and that's what makes it such a roller coaster. We always try to rise above that and be mature and look at why did we win and what did we do well and what are the things that almost cost us that game. And when we lose, point out what we did well and how close we were to winning and focus again more on the process than the final result. But the final result is what it's all about at the end of the day and I feel so glad to have that win this week.”

On adding players mid-season:
“It's a great feeling when players that you pick up who are with other teams and on the practice squad and were just looking for an opportunity and then they arrive and they make good of that opportunity. I think of [Redskins RB Kapri] Bibbs today, he's been a joy to work with the last couple of weeks and he's shown some burst and some ability and it was fun to give him a couple of opportunities today. Up front on the offensive line, we've asked a lot of those younger players and anytime they can make good of that and play well, it really is a thrill to see those guys succeed. It's fun for me to watch them continue to grow as players in their individual careers.”

On the season despite injuries and a tough schedule:
“Well, I think that goes back to the comment on process that when you look at the process, I think you can see a lot of positives building in the right direction – a lot to be encouraged about. That bodes well for future years. I think there's still a lot to play for in a sense that if you come away with wins the next couple of weeks, then that's a different narrative than if you don't. As much as people can write off the playoff picture, for us individually and for this organization, there's so much more to play for to really be building for future years.”

On improved performance taking care of the ball:
“Turnovers are such a critical stat to any season. When you go back and look at the final stats at the end of the year, the teams that win and go to the playoffs are teams that protect the football and create turnovers and the teams that don't are the teams that turn it over and can't get it on defense. So those sacks are going to happen where you're trying to make a throw and you have one hand on it and they get it, we try to eliminate them as much as possible, we do different drills throughout the year to keep two hands on the ball and create that muscle memory but [Cardinals LB] Chandler Jones got there a couple times and it's just so important not to make a bad situation worse when you have that pressure and try to make sure you come away with points or field position or whatever needs to happen – even if it's not a touchdown or a big play. Sacks are going to happen and you just can't allow it to snowball into something worse.”

REDSKINS DL ANTHONY LANIER II

On how the win felt:
“It felt good. It felt like family surrounded me. God had his hands on us and made sure we came out with a victory today.”

On holding the Cardinals without a touchdown:
“We had to come together. Everybody has been talking about it all year about how we have to come together. Today we came together and we overcame the odds of everybody thinking we were out of it. We wanted to come out here and play. So everybody came together and rose to the occasion.”

On stopping the Cardinals on their last drive:
“It felt good. I had my brothers behind [me]. I wasn't nervous at all. We had each other talking and you could feel the energy on the field. It's almost numbing to win a game like that.”

REDSKINS LB PRESTON SMITH

On the Cardinals' final drive:
“We already knew that they were down five and they had to get a touchdown to win and we can't let them in the end zone. We had to do what it takes to get them out of the end zone.”

On his performance:
“There were a lot of things that permitted me to have some good plays. Anthony [Lanier II] getting a sack and I'm scooping the fumble. It was great coverage by me and the rest of the defense and then some great rushes that pressured the quarterback to throw me the interception. Guys were just rushing. Guys were having great coverage. Guys were doing what it took to get the win and it felt great and I also feel great to get those stats today.”

On getting a win after the last two games:
“Yeah, of course. I can't remember how many we lost in a row or whatever but it doesn't feel good to lose. We got the monkey off our back. We have got to keep rolling the ball forward. We have to make sure we finish the season strong and try our best to finish out 8-8.”

REDSKINS WR JAMISON CROWDER

On the offensive performance:
“Yeah, I think that the main thing today was that we were able to kind of stay ahead of the chains. We had a few times where we got behind the sticks, as far as penalties or a play that we lost yardage. But for the most part, we were able to pick up positive yardage early in the down to kind of stay in manageable situations on offense.”

On his chemistry with QB Kirk Cousins:
“I wouldn't necessarily say I'm the go-to guy, we've got a lot of guys that – in these last couple games – have played really well. And especially in the receiver room, I just think the chemistry with him and all the receivers is pretty good and we've just been trying to finish these last few games – last two games – strong.”

On if he was surprised by the defensive performance:
“I wasn't surprised at all. They came out and played well – pretty much won us the ballgame.”

REDSKINS RB KAPRI BIBBS

On his touchdown:
“I'm just happy for the opportunity. I'm happy to be here with the Washington Redskins. I'm happy that they gave me an opportunity, like I said, to be in this locker room around these great guys. We've got a great running back room – guys are loving, we all work hard as hell, these linemen work hard as hell, and they made it happen. I can't even say nothing about me, they made that whole play. I just was doing my job.”

On the offensive performance:
“From the outside looking in, because I haven't been here the whole season, I've been watching these guys for a long time and I always thought they were a real talented group. Even when I was on other teams, I knew they were a couple pieces away from being Super Bowl contenders. And now, being on the team with them, I just see how much grit they have and how hard they work. Now I see why they're in every single game. Every game with them is decided by two or three points because they really do work really hard and it comes down to this type of stuff at the end of the game and they get it done. Today we got it done so I'm happy.”

On the defense's role in keeping them in the game:
“That's awesome. They stopped everybody down the red zone. You can march as long as you want to. That kind of reminds me of that Super Bowl Green Bay defense that gave up almost more yards than anybody in the NFL but they didn't give up any touchdowns all year. A lot of field goals, but field goals won't win you games, as you saw today. I think the defense did a great job, they held everything with their backs up against the wall and they did a fantastic job – especially the DBs. Zach Vigil, I thought that was a pick at the end, he had been ballin'. Preston [Smith], all those guys, they're just an exciting group to watch. I love [Ryan] Kerrigan, the way he carries himself, especially all around in the weight room, he works hard as hell. I mean, these guys, they deserve everything.”

REDSKINS LB JUNIOR GALETTE

On how it felt to get a sack today and his playing time:
“It felt OK. It felt like – I don't know how many got – probably maybe like 20 [reps]. Like I said before, I'm just thankful for whatever I did. just go out there and try and help the team and just stay positive and not bring any negativity.”

On the defense only allowing field goals:
“If things are not going your way, you want to bend and not break. Anytime we go down – they got there five times and only put up three points. That's 15 points so we are in good shape with a quarterback and a good offense. So we just helped each other today.”

On if it is harder to play knowing they are officially eliminated from the playoffs:
“Not at all. This is what I do for a living. Everybody has families to feed. I've heard guys – just from around the league – say, ‘Football is not my life.' When I am playing football right now, it is my life. The amount of hours, the time you put in with football, I'm around these guys more than my family. So yeah, it is my life and I'm going to feed my family off of this. I have been doing it. God blessed us with this opportunity. You have to take advantage of it. Every game counts and at the end of the season they go down and sit and watch their film and say, ‘Hey, did this guy tank it or not? Is he really a guy who loves football?' And I believe that most of the guys in here – if not all – love football.”

REDSKINS C CHASE ROULLIER

On getting back into the starting lineup:
“It was good to be able to come back and help out the team and just get back in the swing of football. It's been a while for me, been a few weeks. I felt pretty good out there.”

On if he was surprised by the defensive performance:
“I was definitely not surprised. I was very happy to see how well they were doing. They kept us in the game out there. Holding them to five field goals is an amazing feat, as a defense, and it's awesome to see them doing so well out there.”

On responding to adversity:
“There were some moments where we looked pretty good, there were some moments where we didn't look so good. But when it comes down to it, we got the win and we did enough to win the game. That's really what it comes down to.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.