• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes Post-Game vs. Cardinals 2017: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
REDSKINS HEAD COACH JAY GRUDEN

On injuries:
“Ryan Anderson has a knee sprain – he'll get an MRI tomorrow. [Bashaud] Breeland had an AC joint [injury], but he returned to the game.”

On the combination between celebration and relief in the locker room:
“[Laughter] A little bit of both, always celebration when you win a game. Our defense stepped up. They were put in a lot of different situations and they stepped up, rose to the occasion and didn't give up a touchdown today, which was great to see. Guys made some plays – pass rush got there, we stopped the running game for the most part and held them out of the end zone, which is the most important thing. I think everybody's relieved. They played hard and I'm happy for them.”

On if there was desperation to get a win this week:
“I wouldn't call it desperation. I would call it desire more so than desperation. I think everybody wanted a win because they're great competitors and they worked extremely hard and just wanted a win, really.”

On if there was concern with QB Kirk Cousins taking a hard hit before the final drive:
“Yeah, he could kneel at the end of the game. He did fine there. He was OK – just got a hard hit, but he was OK. No issues.”

On his concern with CB Bashaud Breeland's injury:
“He came back and played also. He got a shot, I think, and came back and played.”

On the Redskins' defense:
“That was the game. Story of the day. [The Cardinals'] red-zone offense against our red-zone defense, the ability for us not to give up the big play and keep them out of the end zone. Offensively, we didn't do a whole lot. Didn't have a lot of opportunities but for the most part our defense did what they had to do to keep them out of the end zone.”

On the importance of getting a win this week:
“It's important. We wanted to win. Everybody had a desire. Sometimes you can prepare well and not play well. Those are two different things. I think everybody has to understand the difference between preparing and playing well. For the most part our guys give great effort. Sometimes we give great effort and the score does not indicate that. I'm happy the way our guys have competed, played, practice and have prepared throughout the entire season and offseason.”

On the performance of DL Anthony Lanier II and LB Preston Smith:
“Preston, I think, had a pick, recovered a fumble and had a sack. Preston was all over the place … a batted ball. Anthony Lanier showed up in a big way early. Make a sack-fumble, had another sack and batted a couple more balls. It was great to hear Anthony Lanier's name over the intercom a few times and see how far he has come along from a young rookie free agent. He is getting better and better. The sky is the limit for him. Preston continues to do a great job; not only in the running game, but in the passing game he's getting better.”

On if the New Orleans game has had a continuing impact:
“I don't know, it could have for different people. It affects different people different ways, I guess. It could have. Everybody laid it on the line that week. We had a 14-or 13-point lead, whatever it is, with five minutes to go and lost. Definitely had an impact. I don't know if it had that much of an impact that it would cost us two games in a row.”

On LB Zach Vigil's potential interception:
“Well, I think it's got to come from upstairs because I can't challenge it. It has to come from upstairs and it should have been challenged. Unfortunately, it wasn't because Zach, I believe, had that pick.”

On if he could have potentially called a timeout on that play:
“Well, no because I need the clock to run because every second is critical in that situation. That might have been something I could have done. I wasn't sure because I couldn't see it either. I just saw that Zach had it. It came to my attention later on that after further replays, which we didn't have, that he did have the interception. I would hate to have wasted a timeout and stop the clock for them had he not had the interception.”

On winning despite injuries:
“Yeah, we still have some solid players on this team. Now we do have some guys who are young or who had just got here and had to force them to the fire a little bit sooner or into the fire unexpectedly. But for the most part we still have Brandon Scherff, Morgan Moses played well, and we got Chase Roullier back in the lineup, which is really good to see. Ty Nsekhe's been here. You know, he played extremely well. We still have our receiving corps, which is fine, and Kirk. So offensively, more effective than we have been. Defensively has been really where we have taken some shots also, losing Zach Brown. For the most part our defense played well. We've got enough bodies here, a lot of talent, that we should be performing better than we had the past two weeks before this.”

On CB Quinton Dunbar getting playing time:
“Yeah, Quinton's ready to roll. Put him in some dime situations. He went in for [Bashaud] Breeland when he went out. He's deserving of some playing time, you are exactly right. But Breeland and [Josh] Norman are our two corners right now. Dunbar will find his time. He will fight for his time and he will get it because, remember, he just started playing corner a couple of years ago. So just have to be patient with his development and don't toss him in there too soon. But his time will come, I promise you that.”

On playing T Trent Williams the rest of the season:
“Today he wasn't ready and we will talk about that for next week. And I think that with me, if there is a one percent chance that Trent [Williams] can play, I will leave him up, just in case you get that one percent. But we will readdress the situation on Monday. Talk to the doctor and talk to Trent. If he's going to have surgery or something like that then we'll put him down. But if there's a chance then I will keep him up.”

On his initial expectations of DL Anthony Lanier II:
“He's a puppy. A guy like Lanier is a perfect guy to have on your team as a developmental-type of player. He's got the size. He's got the length. He just doesn't have a lot of experience playing three-technique, five-technique, whatever it is. Teach him the defense, let him get in the weight room and develop and develop. Unfortunately, or fortunately for Anthony, he's had to play a lot more than we anticipated because of injuries. He's taken advantage of them. Some growing pains here and there, but you see the talent, you see what we love. Coach [Jim] Tomsula's done a great job with him and he's got a great future.”

On what it means for players like RB Kapri Bibbs to be able to step in in big moments:
“Yeah, I think it says a lot for [Running Backs Coach] Randy [Jordan] trying to get these guys ready to play, but also for Kapri [Bibbs] to come in here and really be diligent about learning what he has to do, you know, as far as protection, route combinations, route concepts, and audibles, and no-huddle that we did a little bit today. I think it is credit to Kapri and Coach Jordan, and then Kapri taking advantage of the opportunities that he got. He ran a great screen pass, weaved his way through traffic and got a touchdown. Drew another holding call on another screen pass, and had a couple of other catches for us that were quite significant. So happy for Kapri. Glad he got his opportunity and took advantage of it.”

On the special teams miscue:
“Niles [Paul] thought it was going to bounce to him and it bounced backwards instead of to him. Bad bounce. Niles should have run and got it.”

On what he is looking to accomplish these final weeks to set a trend for the offseason:
“We always try and set our trend our habits as far as preparation and preparing a plan with great effort and great energy. So that's not going to change, no matter what. Now we are playing against a Denver Broncos team who I think probably has the best defensive personnel in football across the board – secondary, defensive line, pass rush, linebackers. So it will be a great challenge for our offense without a doubt. Definitely if this continues today, with our preparation and focus and attention to detail, we can finish these last two games out strong.”

On if he will use an 8-8 record as a motivation to close out the season:
“I never really want to use 8-8 as motivation, but I think finishing strong is what I want to talk about. The only way you can finish strong is to win your last two – whatever the record is, it is. Happy these guys got a victory today. Now we have to move onto Denver, which is going to be a great task for us, obviously. As far as the total record and all that stuff, I'm not really worried about that stuff. I'm just worried about our guys getting ready.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.