• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Our 2018 starting QB will be....

Rumored that a total of 6 teams were pursuing Smith. No idea if it's true. But we may have had to sweeten the pot to get him. Just guessing there though.

Its a terrible trade but if it had been for just a third, and maybe a late rounder I would have said it is an excellent trade, its losing a very solid young corner in a league that is becoming more and more of a passing league that I hate. we are finally turning the corner on Defence and now we are gonna be struggling at corner again.

We locked up a 3 time Pro Bowler who had the highest passer rating in the league this year for the next 5 years. It is a passing league - and you'd better have a super good passer if you want to compete. Fuller is a loss but he's not irreplaceable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just feel like even when we do the right thing, we do it wrong

breaking the bank on cousins would have been the wrong move, grabbing smith was the right one. he will cost less, will play smart football and is underrated. Cousins is streaky and inconsistent, Smith is steady and plays smarter. But we gave up a great young player and a 3rd rounder, in a league that has become a passing league we had a solid stable of corners, teams are playing more nickle defence than ever and we were pretty solid finally after years of having at best one decent corner and then years of having hall who was a streak personified. so yet again , we did the right thing which was find a placeholder while we build the team without breaking the cap, and better yet a very solid place holder in smith who I think in the right system will be a very good qb if not a franchise qb.

but this is becoming frustrating, we take a step forward and then end up taking 2 back

Same Skins fans on Twitter who wanted to cut Kendall Fuller after his pretty awful rookie season are now claiming he was the next Darrell Green. I love Fuller, but come on - slot corner vs. vet starting QB - it's really not an outrageous trade. It's just not.

Fans oughta be rejoicing.
Just a matter of hours ago, practically every fan was content with watching McCoy start the whole year, while some complete unknown question-mark rookie draftee supposedly gets "grooomed". We've just removed McCoy from the equation, removed the question mark about wondering which QB falls to us at 13, and how he's gonna pan out, and just solidified the QB position, about 10 times more secure than it would have been. And now instead of this season being a loss with either McCoy or a rookie under center, we're suddenly contenders.
And it only cost us Fuller.
That's not bad.
Yea it sucks losing Fuller, but we can't expect upgrades like this to just fall into our laps for free.
Now we can concentrate practically our whole draft on WR, RB, and Dline.

Whilst I liked Kirk, I would not be 100% truthful if I said I trusted him to win us games. With Smith, I believe he is very similar to Kirk but less prone to those “brain fart” moments we saw occasionally from Kirk.
Gutted to see Fuller leave as he is a real talent, we just got to hope that they have an improved replacement lined up.

Maybe Ax would like to tell us how our Front Office isn't all that bad?
Well, Boone, and others, have covered how this deal isn't as bad as some of our more hysterical fans are shrieking. Fuller is a good player. Hate to lose him. But to get something, you have to give something. Hoping Moreau can help fill the spot. Also frees up money to re-sign Breeland, and even more important, Brown.

Alex Smith can't win in the post season(the knock on Kirk, right?) but yet we're trading for him AND giving him an extension?
He hasn't won in the playoffs, yet. But at least he gets there. He's won multiple "big games" during the season to do so. While your mancrush has failed time and time again. Smith is getting an extension partly because he was actually willing to negotiate one. Unlike your boy.

This is sooo funny, you can't make it up. Had the Chiefs had Cousins, Bruce would've traded for him.
No, if the Greedy Lying Bastard would have actually been willing to negotiate, none of this might have happened. But don't let that stop your delusion about the God fearing Greedy Lying Bastard.

In fact, he just traded for his carbon copy.
Wrong again. We traded for a guy who has actually won big games, against good teams, to help carry his team into the post season. Something your boy hasn't been able to. And something that the coaches around him apparently believe he can't do.

EDIT: Whoops! Smith has indeed won in the playoffs. Something Stat Boy has not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interested to see what we do with McCoy now.

I guess the prudent thing is to keep him as a back up to Smith as he's more than familiar with our system.

But I'm guessing he's not a happy camper today. I'd imagine he had his eyes on the starting role this year at least as a stop gap where he could try proving himself a starter again. Do we think he stays in the back up role? Or are we seeing the first in a domino of roster moves?

Next QB... I see Alex Smith behind center next season. Of course, we'll over pay him, and continue along with inconsistent QB play, with too few flashes, and too many crashes.

Wow, even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time. Been so busy with the new job, haven't been able to follow much of the outside world.... I Like smith. but we better better be able to protect him.

Not happy about losing Fuller but can't say I'm too bummed about losing a guy who was overpaid and had a penchant for bad plays when it mattered most. He beat out what turned out to be a train wreck in RGII but that's really not saying much in hindsight. Turns out the bill on him coming out of college stuck; he's a good stats guy who plays the middle of the field well and when the pressures not on, but ask him to win a game and he's as likely as not to have a bad play. The one thing about Smith is he doesn't make dumb mistakes, he's also coming at about 14 million less per year. Given how badly we've been overpaying at that position the last few years it's more than a wash, it's an absolute upgrade.

Losing a very good CB hurts a ton though.

At worst, we just made a lateral move in QB production.

Though I think Smith is much better using his legs to make big plays. Unlike the Greedy Lying Bastard, he's never seemed to be playing not to get hurt, so he could protect his contract negotiating power.

At best, we now have a guy who can, and has, win big games, and get us to the post season.

Tell me something Ax?

Smith bringing Hunt and Kelce with him?

Giving up a 22 yr old cb that's already considered the best slot corner in the game and was graded out the best defender on our team for a 34 yr old QB that Andy Reid didn't want is beyond insane.

So much for the whole mantra of drafting Redskins and getting them on their second contract.

This would be like trading a young Darrell Green for Danny White around 1984.

What a clown show Bruce runs here.

Basically, a wash at the QB position, but for considerably less yearly cap figure than KC1 would cost. Smith is a bit better at moving the pocket, but essentially a wash, literally so when you figure the pick the 'Skins threw in is likely what would come once Cousins signs elsewhere. I'm curious how much of Smith's "guaranteed" money is actually signing bonus vs roster bonus, and especially curious how much of that is a roster bonus after the first 2-3 years.

Do not like trading Kendall Fuller. Not. At. All. Not that I think he's irreplaceable, but he was proven at Slot Corner at this point and was still on the cheap while discovering his ceiling. Especially dislike that no one in the FO contacted him and told him before things started to leak. There had to be a substantial enough buffer for someone to reach out to him beforehand.

Tell me something Ax?

Smith bringing Hunt and Kelce with him?

Giving up a 22 yr old cb that's already considered the best slot corner in the game and was graded out the best defender on our team for a 34 yr old QB that Andy Reid didn't want is beyond insane.

So much for the whole mantra of drafting Redskins and getting them on their second contract.

This would be like trading a young Darrell Green for Danny White around 1984.

What a clown show Bruce runs here.
Man, take valium dude.

No, Hunt's not coming. We'll have whatever running game #8 would have had. And Smith, at worst, will pay the same price #8 would have. At best, he'll do better. Kelce isn't coming either. And we can't count on Reed staying healthy. Your hero wouldn't do any better than what Smith will. As much as you want to think he would.

Hate losing Fuller. But, as has been stated by others besides myself, you have to give something to get something. If 6 other teams were after Smith, then the price goes up. That's business.

Lastly, Fuller isn't in the HOF yet. Though I'm sure for purposes of your argument, he's a shoe in.
And Danny White was a better QB than Stat Boy will ever be.

Embrace the show, or find another.

You guys crack me up.

So, for starters... When you trade for another team's player, particularly a proven, vet QB, you actually have to give the other team something in return.

The 3rd rounder is not a huge deal. Shedding Cousins will ensure we get a compensatory pick - probably a 3rd rounder. So that's essentially a wash. So basically, we traded Kendall Fuller for Alex Smith.

Smith is essentially a carbon copy of Cousins. Yeah - he's what, 3 or 4 years older? But he's still got 4+ years of play ahead of him - correct? As we just found out - keeping any QB beyond a 4-5 year contract is a dubious proposition. I'm actually excited that we will be bringing in a guy who we know is a pretty good QB and who will be committed to a long contract in his prime. People talk about Smith like he's some scrub because he hasn't won in the playoffs. Because we all know, it's all on the QB to win in the playoffs.

I like that we were decisive and made a call now so we can move forward and prepare for the draft.

Yes - we gave up a talented corner. Finding a talented corner is a hell of a lot easier than finding a legitimate starting QB. Period. If we were excessively worried about the roster hole we just created, we now have a first round pick that we can use on a corner or a top defensive player.

Bottom line - if the FO decided Alex Smith was going to be the best option, that's going to cost something. Kendall Fuller is what it cost.

We don't know the real contract dollars yet, so those insinuating on Twitter that Kirk would've accepted whatever Smith will be signed for - or that the 'savings will be minimal' - that's just nonsense. Cousins clearly doesn't want to be here and there's no way we were going to be able to afford him. This will save us a big chunk of cap space, space that people haven't yet thought through and which may allow us to sign guys like Zach Brown.

I really think we should keep an open mind here. This may work out pretty nicely.

+1. Well said B. I don't think this is the end of the world, but I would've liked seeing how Fuller developed. With us that is. I think Smith is a slightly more mobile QB as well as less inclined to make the staggeringly dumb throws we have on occasion seen from KC, so this one might be pleasantly surprising next year and beyond.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any headlines saying "KC to KC" yet!

I don't hate this trade. I don't like giving up Fuller, but I do wonder if they'll pursue signing Breeland now, before this I figured he was long gone, but now we'll have a serious depth issue at CB if we let him go too.

(I'm still praying we sign Zack back too!)

From a QB standpoint I feel Smith could be a step forwards in so much as like Ax said, KC always seemed to play a little within himself maybe because that Franchise Tag and having no LTD was in the back of his mind. Smith on a LTD here won't have that mindset. Ironically if KC signs a LTD with Denver maybe that is where he will truly blossom freed of the Tag.

It'll be interesting to see if Smith develops any long game, not something he's traditionally shown but is something that Gruden wanted Kirk to do more frequently. Smith is better with his legs though, and as others have said he makes few mistakes.

The team still needs to keep an eye on the future though, Smith is an older QB and this is a stop gap solution. McCoy isn't our future either, so it does make me wonder what happens if a really good QB is still on the draft board as our pick rolls around... do we draft for the future and have a young stud learn behind Smith? I wouldn't be averse to that.

It'll also be an interesting 2018 season to see exactly what Kirk gave us when benchmarked against Smith. They are similar producers statwise, but I agree with Ax in so much as it'll be interesting to see the results where they count... in the W/L column. There were certainly games that got away from us this year and some of that can certainly by pinned on lackluster performances at QB even with the injuries we had.

I'm actually optimisitcally looking forward to this coming season again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.