• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Our 2018 starting QB will be....

IIRC, A-A-Ron Rod-Gers was selected just before Jason Candle.

IIRC, A-A-Ron Rod-Gers was selected just before Jason Candle.

Sometimes I wonder how Rodgers would have turned out if he hadn't been behind Brett Favre and had to start early on.

If a good QB can be had in the late rounds, we should have gotten a head start, and used some foresight, and drafted a late-round QB in LAST YEAR'S draft.

If he was a late-rounder, it probably wouldn't have hindered negotiations with Cousins, and it would have been a low-risk pick, AND we just might have ended up with a QB who would have been ready to start the following year in 2018. At the very least, we probably would have had a good future backup, which we'll need soon anyway.

Last edited:
Baker Mayfield is not the answer but some team like the Browns (with picks at 1 and 4) or the Jets is going to take him ahead of us.

Better NFL talents will be out there and available later.

Perhaps a trade back in Round 1 to pick up an additional #2 might be in order.

Cherry picking examples of HOF QBs found in later rounds as evidence that great QBs can be found anywhere is about as valid as citing Trent Dilfer winning a Super Bowl as evidence it doesn't matter who is under center.

Of course teams hit the jackpot in later rounds. It happens. I think the point in trying to find a QB in the draft isn't that you have to have a high draft pick to get one - but that the higher the draft pick, the more options will be available to a team. More options when selecting a QB, given the critical nature of hitting on that selection, is always a good thing.

I gotta say, I have zero confidence we will draft the right QB whether it's with our first pick or our last. Look at Sudfeld - we draft him as a late selection and then ditch him before we even know what we've got in him. Hell, I won't be surprised if we simply go with Colt and bring in some guys to be backups with no effort to sign a promising QB (like Keenum) or even a Dalton and without expending a draft pick this year on one.

Shanahan was a genius in drafting Cousins. I don't have confidence we can find someone of his caliber. I just don't.

I don't have confidence we can find someone of his caliber. I just don't.

And that is the crux of the argument when I consider my fanhood.

I have no faith,confidence in the Front Office of this organization. The "Benefit of the Doubt" well has dried up.

That could change should they hire a legit NFL football mind to run things but until then, I don't expect much from this franchise.

I have no faith,confidence in the Front Office of this organization. The "Benefit of the Doubt" well has dried up.

That could change should they hire a legit NFL football mind to run things but until then, I don't expect much from this franchise.

Sadly, I, and I think much of the fanbase is the same way. Barring some out of left field change (like you mention), this organization gives us no reason to hope.

Brother - I have never said I don't appreciate your POV or that it doesn't resonate with me to some degree. On a bad day, I'm right there with you. On a good day, I tell myself that it's unfair of Redskins fans to saddle the current regime with 25+ years of mostly frustration, and that if we can't envision a brighter future there's little point in continuing to be a fan. While I understand it, I just don't enjoy the 24/7 negativity and honestly hate when I contribute to it. I understand that many believe 'The Redskins will never ever win as long as Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen remain in place'. I don't know that I believe that. My version is that we will never ever win if we continue to blow up the entire organization every 3-4 years.

Brother - I have never said I don't appreciate your POV or that it doesn't resonate with me to some degree. On a bad day, I'm right there with you. On a good day, I tell myself that it's unfair of Redskins fans to saddle the current regime with 25+ years of mostly frustration, and that if we can't envision a brighter future there's little point in continuing to be a fan. While I understand it, I just don't enjoy the 24/7 negativity and honestly hate when I contribute to it. I understand that many believe 'The Redskins will never ever win as long as Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen remain in place'. I don't know that I believe that. My version is that we will never ever win if we continue to blow up the entire organization every 3-4 years.
I do not believe the Redskins Front Office has any vision or plan. I believe that as currently constructed, they're incompetent.

Jay Gruden,IMO, has made the best of a dysfunctional situation. I believe if he had an actual solid football man as GM, he could do alot better.

I don't like being here, in this state of mind. I look at Dan Snyder, who on multiple occasions, has told guys he's hired (Shanny,McCloughan)
"I'm embarrassed. Please fix this.", and I've wondered....you have access to 31 other owners and executives...Joe Gibbs,Bobby Beathrad, Charley Casserley.....and you cannot glean enough knowledge from a group like that to make an informed decision to change your structure and get this thing on track??

The other thing .... fans say he's more interested in making money...well, doesn't winning football games and playoff appearances make you more money? Does he understand that? Do we know if he understands that?

To me, you've been in this business 20 years. How have you not figured out how to right the wrongs?

Kick Bruce Allen upstairs, away from football decisions..or hell, let him go. Bring in somebody outside the organization that has a solid background in personnel.

Just give me something to hold on to. Just a little light to say, hey, we're trying.

I don't have a lot to argue there. I think the 'more interested in money' thing is a little silly since there's not an owner in the league that isn't in this to make money - that's the entire point unless you're a fan. We understandably seize on it out of frustration but it's a sucker's choice because the two things are not mutually exclusive. The only thing I will say is that we act as if the other 31 teams are perennial winners when the reality is that tons of teams have struggled equally. I'm not sure that means all their front offices are incompetent. Not defending Snyder or Allen. But Allen has had limited success (division titles) with 2 different franchises before coming to DC. Was he 'incompetent' then too? You have to believe Oakland and the Bucs won in spite of Allen to make that argument.

To become a perennial winner in the NFL, I just think a lot of things have to be right. The right coaching staff, the right draft picks and FA acquisitions, the right schemes, the right talent. And yeah, it takes the right front office to get all that right. I don't like Snyder and Allen - for the simple reason that we've not had the kind of success Skins fans deserve under their tenure. Whether that makes them incompetent, I don't know. I would like to believe that they are learning slowly but surely and that eventually they'll find the right mix. But I also recognize a fan has to believe such things if they are to survive :)

A line from Billions (a Bill Gates-type philanthropist telling billionaire Axelrod that he is personally making sure that Axelrod will not be approved to buy the New York Giants despite being the highest bidder due to his negative public image)

”Sports franchises are the way we Knight people in this country.”

I don't think people give enough acknowledgement to "dumb luck".
Gettleman was a genius in Carolina, until he wasn't.
Same with the guy out in San Diego some years ago. Can't remember his name. One year he's drafting LT and making good trades, and then a few years later he's fired.
Bill Polian's been touted as a top notch GM. He's also been fired.

Boone has said it, I've said it, and so have others in one way or another, changing head coaches, schemes, and front office makeups have been the biggest problem we've had. (Full disclosure, I advocate the immediate firing of Jay Gruden)
I also remind everyone, again, that when the "last 25 years" of suckage is brought up, that it includes 6 years of pre-Snyder. And, that the last 6 years of Snyder, has been the best of his tenure. As far as stability goes. So, he shows as many signs of improvement as our coach or QB does.

The ONLY reason, for me, to keep Gruden one more year is for the continuity aspect. You wanna talk about lack of hope? I have no hope whatsoever that Gruden will ever be more than average. If he stumbles upon a Brady/Manning/Brees he just might win a championship. Hell, Barry friggin Switzer is a Super Bowl winning coach for crying out loud. But I ain't counting on it. But it's more than possible. If Manusky turns into a top notch DC, and with the right players, he may carry Gruden to a Championship, like Billick was. But he'll have to luck into it. Unless I'm wrong about him.

And I know I could be wrong. It's not hard to admit being wrong. There's nothing wrong, with being wrong.
But I do know this undeniable truth. Anything can happen.

And that's what I'm ALWAYS hoping for. Something good to happen.

It's really pretty easy.

A line from Billions (a Bill Gates-type philanthropist telling billionaire Axelrod that he is personally making sure that Axelrod will not be approved to buy the New York Giants despite being the highest bidder due to his negative public image)

”Sports franchises are the way we Knight people in this country.”

Does that make Jerruh Jones the worlds richest court jester... ?

From a continuity standpoint, keeping Gruden is wholly important when Cousins leaves this offseason. At least everyone else on offense won't have to learn a new system.

Does that make Jerruh Jones the worlds richest court jester... ?

Until he is outed. Am I the only one surprised that he wasn't the first owner to be #metoo'd?

I don't think people give enough acknowledgement to "dumb luck". Gettleman was a genius in Carolina, until he wasn't. Same with the guy out in San Diego some years ago. Can't remember his name. One year he's drafting LT and making good trades, and then a few years later he's fired. Bill Polian's been touted as a top notch GM. He's also been fired.

Elway was Hawking, Einstein and John Nash all rolled in to one... when Denver won the Super Bowl... then he turned into Forest Gump seemingly overnight, although even he would have probably lucked into a QB in some way.

Until he is outed. Am I the only one surprised that he wasn't the first owner to be #metoo'd?

Absolutely. Am I wrong that outside of media types that the sports world seems to have gotten a pass with the sexual harassment feeding frenzy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think people give enough acknowledgement to "dumb luck".
Gettleman was a genius in Carolina, until he wasn't.
Same with the guy out in San Diego some years ago. Can't remember his name. One year he's drafting LT and making good trades, and then a few years later he's fired.
Bill Polian's been touted as a top notch GM. He's also been fired

Gettleman was fired because he didn't want to extend Greg Olsen and Thomas Davis,two past their prime veterans that they needed to move on from, who just happened to be Jerry Richardson's two favorites.

AJ Smith got fired not long after firing his head coach, who just came off a 14-2 season, in favor of Norv Turner. Hiring Norv is a fireable offense in itself!

Bill Polian built the Buffalo Bills into a perennial contender. Then went to Carolina and quickly built them into a contender and had them in the NFC title game inside of two yrs. Went on to Indy and built them into a perennial contender.

Then he got too old. It happens. Ron Wolf,Bobby Beathard etc...got old and the game passed them by.

Folks say it's hard to win in the NFL. That alot of the right pieces need to be in place, just not on the field but throughout the organization.

That's true. But the Washington Redskins never seem to want to do anything easy. They always want to go about things ass backwards or put up roadblocks where there should be none.

Quick questions: What is the direction of this franchise? What are we building towards? What's the football philosophy?

When McCloughan was hired, for all his faults, he told you what his vision was: He wanted a physical football team. One that when you played them, you'd feel them.

What's Bruce's vision? Does he even have one?

That's the problem here.

Not sure ‘we want a physical football team' constitutes a ‘vision' - that's a sound byte man [emoji4]

What I've seen in terms of ‘vision' during recent years would include keeping your draft picks, trade down for more where it makes sense, best player available approach (mostly), don't overspend on FAs, keep issues in locker room, prioritize youth and speed over experience. So there's been some effort to forge a culture or vision. I don't know what kind of team identity Gruden and this front office is trying to establish. On that front, agree 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay Gruden tells us every August that he wants to run the ball more, be more physical.

The season comes and goes and it's the same old same old.

Maybe the Front Office doesn't get the memo? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.