• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Our 2018 starting QB will be....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw a comment from Cousins at some point that he wants the entire contract guaranteed money, which is unprecedented in pro football, but not in some other pro sports. He's looking to lead the charge in changing the contract structure throughout the league.

In a league where collusion is obvious, but somehow amazingly not provable, I doubt any team will offer a fully guaranteed long term contract.

Pandora's Box

I don't believe any team will ever do that unless and until the CBA mandates it. It's against their own interests. Joe Flacco's contract is another reason why.

Honestly don't care as long as we can good and consistent QB play. I want a competitive and consistent winner. Without the drama.

In a league where collusion is obvious, but somehow amazingly not provable, I doubt any team will offer a fully guaranteed long term contract.

Pandora's Box

I don't believe any team will ever do that unless and until the CBA mandates it. It's against their own interests. Joe Flacco's contract is another reason why.

I'm right there with ya guys, but I'm pretty sure that's what he has in his head to do. That's why he likes the tag, it's a guaranteed payday. I think he used MLB contracts as an example. Wish I could find it. I've been looking all over for it... pretty sure it was an video.

The obvious solution is to play McCoy and draft a quarterback prospect with significant upside to take over in 2019.

If the team is not nearly as pro-McCoy as it seems, then perhaps we can sign a Sam Bradford to a one year -make it deal while taking a qb in the draft for the future in any case.

Teddy Bridgewater is an interesting player. If the Vikings advance deep into the playoffs or go to the Super Bowl it seems unlikely they will just jettison Case Keenum.

Bradford because he is 30 seems out in any event.

But Bridgewater at 25 has a future in the NFL, having recovered from a serious leg injury.

The Vikings will likely be listening to offers for him in the offseason.

If we had any chance to snag Bridgewater I'd do that deal in a heartbeat - and I'd skip drafting a QB if we could make that deal. He can play and has a great attitude. Wondering though if it's not Keenum who gets put out there as trade bait after seasons end though, instead of Bridgewater?

Someone's going to want to pay Bradford big bucks. No way we get him on 'the cheap' - injury history or not. Pass.

Keenum is a free agent while Bridgewater is still on his rookie deal so Teddy is a much more attractive as trade bait.

We would get to see him for one year on his original deal before having to commit bigger dollars.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw a comment from Cousins at some point that he wants the entire contract guaranteed money, which is unprecedented in pro football, but not in some other pro sports. He's looking to lead the charge in changing the contract structure throughout the league.

Granted it would be unprecedented in pro football however there's a difference between guaranteed money and fully guaranteed money. Fully guaranteed is what a player gets at signing no matter what. A signing bonus, a tag, any fully guaranteed salary or bonuses, ect. Guaranteed money is guaranteed if the player is still on the roster, which is generally pretty early in the year, typically not much later than the end of February. Or if injured, henceforth the term, 'guaranteed against injury only'.

For example; Derek Carr got $125M/5 years with $70.2M guaranteed of which $40M is fully guaranteed including his $12.5M signing bonus. So he gets $40M no matter what. The balance of the $30.2M in guarantees are guaranteed against injury only. In 2018 his $7.4M salary becomes fully guaranteed on 16 Mar 2018 provided he's either still a Raider or injured at that point. If he wasn't with Oakland or injured prior to that, those guarantees disappear - Carr gets nothing. He has similar guarantees in salary for 2019 & 2020, totaling $22.8M but again, he has to be a Raider or injured.

So of his $70.2M guaranteed, he knows he gets $40M (fully guaranteed) and he'll get the other $30.2M if he's still with the team in later years or injured. It's actually a pretty sweet deal for Oakland. They could part ways with him in 2019 and eat the remainder of his prorated signing bonus ($7.5M) in dead money but get a cap savings of $20M in 2019 & about another $58M back for years 2020 through 2022. Basically, they could walk away after 2 years paying out a bit under $50M & the other $75M comes off the books.

link to Carr's contact: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/derek-carr-14445/

Anyway, could Kirk get a 100% guaranteed LTD? Probably not because no team wants to eat a huge chunk of cash if the dude gets injured. Could some player get maybe a 2 or 3 year/100% guaranteed contract? Maybe, depending on how much was fully guaranteed versus guaranteed against injury only.

So any tidbits from Andyman over at that other place on KC?

I'm about 98% sure he's gone, gut feeling coupled with everything thing else we all already know.

God, please do not let it be Baker Mayfield. I watched 2 games of his this year, both of his losses and he is not going to be a successful QB in the NFL.

He won't drop that far for us to be players in picking him El, not that I think atleast. What I do think is that we'll have a different qb under center next year regardless.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I do not see us getting a decent QB at our current slot of 13.
There's numerous teams that pick ahead of us, that could conceivably pick a QB, even if one of them signs Cousins.
Cleveland has 2 picks in the Top 4, and you gotta figure they use one of them on a QB.

So, the teams that may end up really needing a QB, that pick ahead of us are :
Cleveland, NY Giants, NY Jets, Denver, Miami.

Actual draft order up until the Skins. *Note* Picks No. 9 and 10 will be determined by a coin flip.

1. Cleveland Browns
2. New York Giants
3. Indianapolis Colts
4. Cleveland Browns
5. Denver Broncos
6. New York Jets
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
8. Chicago Bears
9. San Francisco 49ers*
10. Oakland Raiders*
11. Miami Dolphins
12. Cincinnati Bengals
13. Washington

So, for us to get a QB, there may need to be up to 6 QB's worthy of Top 13 picks.
Key word is maybe. But if that's the case, or even close to the number 6, then we've got a problem.
Because I don't think there's that many college QB's worthy of Top 13 picks.

That's what people thought about guys named Joe Montana, Tom Brady, etc...

Finding a great quarterback is as much luck as anything.

and they do not come exclusively in the 1st round.

God, please do not let it be Baker Mayfield. I watched 2 games of his this year, both of his losses and he is not going to be a successful QB in the NFL.

God, please let it be Baker Mayfield. ;)

We can't get a decent quarterback for the future with only the 13th pick <insert laugh here>

Where were Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees selected?

Still early but way after pick #13 .

After that performance on Sunday I wouldn't give Cousins some velveeta cheese for his cracker let alone a deal with all guaranteed money.

Cousins is getting like Bradford, a player that will earn $100M and hasn't won a damn thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.