• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Our 2018 starting QB will be....

They are not going to tag Brown.

The Franchise tag for an LB is almost 15 million/yr.

Do any of you think he's worth that?

What is more conspicuous to me is the lack of messages from players on the team referencing any type of frustration or displeasure with the obvious departure of #8 . Has there been even one?

Their silence is deafening.

I wouldn't read too much into that. First off, Cousins is still on the team until March when free agency starts. Secondly, he's doing what all the players want to do and that is maximize their contract when they can. If players are upset about it, they are more likely to be upset at management not paying because they want theirs when it's their time. Lastly, the defense is shocked because Fuller had no say in this and they were all surprised. They all expected him to be there and he was traded. Whereas with Kirk, everyone expected he would be gone. So there isn't any shock to this for them. But again, the criticisms we heard are towards management.

Now, maybe we find out in time the players thought Kirk was a prick and they are happy he is gone. If that's the case, we will hear it. But for now, I wouldn't expect any comment regardless of how they feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 tds but 2 interceptions and a number of others that could have been picks.

Keenum likes to throw the ball in tight coverage but doesn't have the kind of size and arm to pull it off consistently.

Again if he has another year like 2017 where a lot broke right for him I would be surprised.

His own coach, Zimmer, didn't show him much love after the playoff loss.

Zimmer's comment that he activated Bradford because he is a good deep ball thrower if they needed it doesn't bode well for Keenum's return in 2018.

I expect to see him in Cleveland or NY or whichever other team loses out on Cousins.

Keenum is a younger Colt McCoy. Love his attitude, preparation, and confidence. Pretty good athlete. But limited. I had actually resigned myself to a Keenum level guy. Impressed that the Skins went out and aggressively put us in a lot better situation.

I wouldn't read too much into that. First off, Cousins is still on the team until March when free agency starts. Secondly, he's doing what all the players want to do and that is maximize their contract when they can. If players are upset about it, they are more likely to be upset at management not paying because they want theirs when it's their time. Lastly, the defense is shocked because Fuller had no say in this and they were all surprised. They all expected him to be there and he was traded. Whereas with Kirk, everyone expected he would be gone. So there isn't any shock to this for them. But again, the criticisms we heard are towards management.

Now, maybe we find out in time the players thought Kirk was a prick and they are happy he is gone. If that's the case, we will hear it. But for now, I wouldn't expect any comment regardless of how they feel.

Not so sure about all that. There has been a lot of player talk on Twitter and elsewhere about the Redskins building something and retaining players. That's why there were understandably some passionate immediate reactions to Kendall Fuller being traded. From everyone OTHER THAN Kirk Cousins that is. I think players understand that the team has to make moves, sometimes even dramatic ones, to fill key positions. I also think player's know that while the FO might have bungled the Cousins situation, ultimately it was Kirk who gave the team a big 'eff you'.

And I do believe it's telling that there hasn't been a single social media post from a teammate (read 'NOT ONE') communicating 'good luck in your future endeavors Kirk!'

They are not going to tag Brown.

The Franchise tag for an LB is almost 15 million/yr.

Do any of you think he's worth that?

I think that's right. Skins have probably had enough of tags for a while imho...

Not so sure about all that. There has been a lot of player talk on Twitter and elsewhere about the Redskins building something and retaining players. That's why there were understandably some passionate immediate reactions to Kendall Fuller being traded. From everyone OTHER THAN Kirk Cousins that is. I think players understand that the team has to make moves, sometimes even dramatic ones, to fill key positions. I also think player's know that while the FO might have bungled the Cousins situation, ultimately it was Kirk who gave the team a big 'eff you'.

And I do believe it's telling that there hasn't been a single social media post from a teammate (read 'NOT ONE') communicating 'good luck in your future endeavors Kirk!'

But Kirk isn't gone yet. Technically, neither is Fuller, but the word is obviously out that Fuller will be. I'm not saying everyone loved Kirk and everyone is upset he is expected to leave. I believe time will tell if the other players are happy or upset that Cousins will leave. We will hear the truth soon enough. I'm just saying that right now, I don't expect any word from other players about Cousins until something happens.

I'm not in twitter, but maybe you can find this out. Has there been any comments from the Chiefs players about Smith being traded?

But Kirk isn't gone yet. Technically, neither is Fuller, but the word is obviously out that Fuller will be. I'm not saying everyone loved Kirk and everyone is upset he is expected to leave. I believe time will tell if the other players are happy or upset that Cousins will leave. We will hear the truth soon enough. I'm just saying that right now, I don't expect any word from other players about Cousins until something happens.

I'm not in twitter, but maybe you can find this out. Has there been any comments from the Chiefs players about Smith being traded?

Kelce came out very emotional
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/1/31/16953928/chiefs-travis-kelce-marcus-peters-and-others-tweet-support-for-alex-smith

Thanks for find that. You always want to hear about the guy you just hired.

One thing is clear the Chiefs players absolutely loved this guy. We got ourselves a QB.

I wish Kirk the best of luck. I do think one day it's going to seem absolutely amazing the intersection of timing, luck, and Skins' management incompetence that led to Kirk Cousins of all people being - even for a short time - the highest paid player in the NFL.

Like I said I'm glad the Skins won't be the ones paying him.

Well, if Kirk spends the rest of his career coming up small in big games. Or failing to ever lead, not tag along, but lead his new team to the promised land, the only mismanagement they can ever be accused of would be that they vastly overpaid the guy for 2 years, and wasted that time on him when they could have been trying out someone else.

Few were sold on his ability after 1 half season of good play in 2015. But that doesn't keep people from acting like overpaying him then was a no brainer.
And his overall history of negotiating, or lack thereof, suggests that maybe the team didn't do as bad as some think. I mean, God forbid any team from trying to get the best deal they could for the TEAM. Because even after 2016, there were legitimate questions about his ultimate ceiling. There still are.

Again, time will tell if he EVER leads a team to a title. He's certainly capable of going along for the ride, ala Trent Dilfer, on a good enough team.

It was an odd situation. He was never gonna get a chance to compete right out of the draft. Just couldn't happen. I think he sees that as a slight. Then he get's a chance and gets benched. Then finally starts to play well, but never shed the inconsistency. Grudens offense is favorable to a QB. One that doesn't make mistakes, and it seems Smith is mostly one of those types, should do good things. I'm hopeful. Cause unless you wanted to sacrifice 2+ years down the toilet without a chance at post season play, Smith was the only option. I would have been far more frustrated with running out a Colt type stop gap while praying we draft a QB who will develop.

Zach Brown is not worth a tag because in a strong defense he is a TWO down player.

The truth is he is impactful with his speed and tackling ability but for some reason despite the physical skills just doesn't have natural cover instincts.

In today's league you have to have inside linebackers that can cover and right now this team's best cover linebacker hands down is Mason Foster.

I didn't watch much of Brown in Buffalo but his inability to cover TEs and RBs consistently is what cost him big money in free agency.

Why pay him $12M a year when we can go into the draft and perhaps get a Roquan Smith at #13 ?

Brown at 29 is going to want a deal that takes him to 32-33 and that's not good value for the Redskins as linebacker is one position along with running back where you can get guys that can play up and down the draft board and in FA.

Zach Brown is not worth a tag because in a strong defense he is a TWO down player.

The truth is he is impactful with his speed and tackling ability but for some reason despite the physical skills just doesn't have natural cover instincts.

In today's league you have to have inside linebackers that can cover and right now this team's best cover linebacker hands down is Mason Foster.

I didn't watch much of Brown in Buffalo but his inability to cover TEs and RBs consistently is what cost him big money in free agency.

Why pay him $12M a year when we can go into the draft and perhaps get a Roquan Smith at #13 ?

Brown at 29 is going to want a deal that takes him to 32-33 and that's not good value for the Redskins as linebacker is one position along with running back where you can get guys that can play up and down the draft board and in FA.

Thanks for breaking that down - like I said there's been NO discussion about the tags without Kirk involved so Its good to see some perspective. How about the tag as it relates to Breeland - either franchise or transition? I do hope the skins sign Brown and I think there's a good possibility of it. Breeland I was very doubtful but now he seems a little more important to the mix without Fuller - though we do have other young guys who could step up.

I do like the idea of keeping the youngish guys we developed. Letting Antonio Peirce walk (to the Giants no less!) hurt and was stupid.

I get the feeling that Breeland is going to want a deal that far exceeds his worth. He's very inconsistent, and he's also a headcase/drama queen. So far, the Skins have managed to mostly 'keep him on the reservation'. But I think they view him as talented but inconsistent, and also are likely not fond of how he carries himself off the field. You don't bust the bank for a guy like that. But some other team may be willing to do so.

I will be surprised if he ends up re-signing, even WITH the departure of Fuller. And I wouldn't rule out us going cornerback with our top pick this year for that reason.

Breeland would have been worth the money on his physical talent and a splice of the tape of his best games.

The trouble is he is a 50/50 player. Some games he is great, others he is invisible.

His inconsistency goes back to a bit of emotional immaturity on his part - see how he responded to the Josh Norman signing in 2016.

He sulked and went into a shell, it wasn't until the middle of the season that he started to get his game back.

You just can't have that when you are paying a guy top money.

We need cooler heads out there on the field from our vets.

He's not on Twitter. He's made the adjustment to going to a different team several times now. I'd be surprised if he didn't have at least some input into his future destination. I expect he'll be all in when he gets here as he has always been characterized as a pro's pro.

It sounds like he made the choice it sounded like Denver may have been the destination but they were not offering an extension which is what he wanted.

Reading the KC boards, one or 2 of their fans had a voice of reason, amidst all the wrath against the Skins decision to part with Fuller :

"I think that to jump the Brown the Jags and like four or five other teams that the Redskins had to do something drastic.
So, I don't think this sacrifice is as stupid as everyone else thinks it is…I think it was necessary if they really wanted Alex.

This isn't as severe….but I think that it is similar to what the Chiefs had to do to jump 17 spots for Mahomes. QB moves cost a lot more than people think they cost. A lot of people thought we gave up too much for Mahomie…probably still do."

-----
"Well, Washington does seem to have a secondary that can absorb the loss of a player like Fuller.

That's a rare position for a team to be in. Losing Fuller probably hurts them less than it would almost any other team. At least, in the near term."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.